• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] How to remove encryption from your Pixel 2 XL

Search This thread

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country
Tried it, no luck. Removed my Google account, reset phone, did not log into my Google account and did not set up any PIN or password and it's still encrypted. I'll try fastboot erase userdata and cache and see if that works.

Yeah, try that. When Magisk first came out, one of its primary features was that it disabled force encrypt. Also, installing Magisk was the preferred way to disable it on the original Pixels, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work here.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Magisk post says it's a limited released that focuses only on granting root access. Maybe he's still working on getting force encrypt disabled properly, which is why it still encrypts for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuel Holland

slothdabski

Aug 3, 2015
Chicago
In case anyone is still looking for information to help with this, I got a new Pixel 2 XL today from the Google store and ran into the same issue. Seeing other people's observation that TWRP only asked for a decryption password if things like a PIN or fingerprinting (which requires a PIN) were set up, I tried entering my PIN as the decryption password. This worked, and I was able to see my entire file system correctly in TWRP.

I hope this helps someone else! If so ... please click thanks. :)

well no one should be having problems now. The first builds of TWRP for our device didnt support decryption, even if you entered your pin/password. This is a 5 month old thread and its no longer an issue :facepalm:

slothdabski

Aug 3, 2015
Chicago
I'm glad you think I should not have had this problem, BUT I DID. So I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but your response seems unkind and unhelpful, as well as entirely incorrect. As I stated in my post, the current version of TWRP asked me for a decryption password and if I did not supply one, I could not use my SD Card. This happened LAST NIGHT on a Pixel 2 XL purchased from the Google Store this weekend and delivered new to my house yesterday. :facepalm indeed:

Why are you saying this issue no longer exists? I didn't see any indication in this thread that anyone figured out how to resolve this. Did I miss something?
Dude OBVIOUSLY you have to put in your password to decrypt. This thread was relevant 5 months ago when twrp would not decrypt EVEN IF YOU ENTERED YOUR PASSCODE. The whole point of the thread was to explain how to remove encryption and keep your data from encrypting since twrp could not decrypt. Now that twrp can decrypt using your passcode, there no point in keeping your data from being encrypted. Removing encryption and decrypting are 2 different things. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to set the record straight so your post doesn't confuse others

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Not to pile on but instead to confirm... The thread as I understand it was discussing "removing encryption" permanently, not the decrypting of data each time you enter TWRP to do whatever task you need.

slothdabski

Aug 3, 2015
Chicago
Not to pile on but instead to confirm... The thread as I understand it was discussing "removing encryption" permanently, not the decrypting of data each time you enter TWRP to do whatever task you need.
Bingo! I guess someone thought they needed to resurrect an old thread because they had the "brilliant" idea of entering their passcode to access their data

_sky.captain_

Aug 31, 2007
Sorry

Bingo! I guess someone thought they needed to resurrect an old thread because they had the "brilliant" idea of entering their passcode to access their data

Sorry folks. You are correct that this thread was not about accessing TWRP on an encrypted device, and I may have mixed it up with some other thread. If I knew a better place to put my comment, I'd move it. But I'm going to delete the other comments since they are out of line in this thread.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let me add something we discovered. It seems to be on the pin/pattern setup only. I think you can do everything else to stay decrypted in twrp. Now might thought was to setup everything they way you want without pin/pattern and you can then backup. Then save that backup on a PC. After that you lock your device via pin/pattern. If for some reason something screws up instead of setting everything up again. Just factory reset and skip everything and place backup on SD card then boot twrp and try to restore. Someone want to test this theory lol????

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    so after the setup, can you add your google account, fingerprint/pin later?

Then you will lose twrp after doing that process. It will be encrypted.
    I can add my google account as long as i dont set a pin or fingerprinter my phone's internal storage is visible via TWRP with no issues.
    Thanks. I didn't realize we needed twrp. I was thinking we could just use fastboot erase userdata in leu of twrp.

No you can, I thought you were thinking format userdata would fix twrp. Sorry
    Tried it, no luck. Removed my Google account, reset phone, did not log into my Google account and did not set up any PIN or password and it's still encrypted. I'll try fastboot erase userdata and cache and see if that works.

Yeah, try that. When Magisk first came out, one of its primary features was that it disabled force encrypt. Also, installing Magisk was the preferred way to disable it on the original Pixels, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work here.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Magisk post says it's a limited released that focuses only on granting root access. Maybe he's still working on getting force encrypt disabled properly, which is why it still encrypts for now.