• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to remove Facebook Services and other bloatware WITHOUT Root

Search This thread

Saiger

Feb 6, 2012
Dresden
I was very dissapointed to see that Oneplus now ships more bloatware such as Facebook with it´s phones. While you can uninstall the app itself, there are a few Facebook-related frameworks in the background that cannot be uninstalled that easy. However with a couple quick ADB command you can solve that problem in a few minutes. With this method you can remove unwanted apps for the (current) user while not touching the firmware thus keeping OTA updates working.

You need:
- A Computer
- Fastboot --> I use: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
- USB - Debugging ENABLED on your phone

How to do it:

Simply connect your phone via USB and open the ADB command window and type the following
("-k" will leave the cache intact, you ca remove this part if you want to clean up even more. However I had problems without it in the past in rare cases so I included it)
Code:
adb shell

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.services

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.system

Once thats done reboot your phone. Done.

Last edited:

Saiger

Feb 6, 2012
Dresden
thx for the guide..

just wanna ask, if there is root, can the "-k --user 0" part be omitted to really completely remove all facebook trash?

tia..

With root I would try this instead.
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm -rf /system/app/[I]unwanted.apk[/I]
rm -rf /data/data/[I]package[/I]
mount -o ro,remount /system
exit

Even without root you could leave the "-k" out but since it only leaves the cache intact I thought to include it just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamelton

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
With root I would do this instead.
Code:
adb shell
su
exit

Even without root you could leave the "-k" out but since it only leaves the cache intact I thought to include it just in case.

thx a lot..

since this time its deleting the apks directly, could you provide the apk file names of the facebook framework as well?
or better, add them to the first post so that others may benefit..

Saiger

Feb 6, 2012
Dresden
thx a lot..

since this time its deleting the apks directly, could you provide the apk file names of the facebook framework as well?

Sure here you go:

Code:
 com.facebook.system -> Facebook App Installer
com.facebook.appmanager -> Facebook App Manager
com.facebook.services -> Facebook Services

But with root I would just use an app instead :p else its too much a hassle

Last edited:

Saiger

Feb 6, 2012
Dresden
Dare to recommend a reliable root file manager that's good for this?
I'd also be interested if there's any difference in removing the package files vs disabling them via ADB? my current understanding: there is none except you gain back the megabytes

I always used Titanium Backup for uninstalling apps however there seems to be an expection with OOS were it can´t remove the apps from the system folder making it useless. I have to check that.
As for disabling vs removing the files, you are right there´s no difference between them when it comes to stopping them from working on the backround and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIR49DNOR0N

Logiel

Jan 14, 2016
Paris
Lovely ! Thanks a lot.
When the next OTA update will be released, will the apps reinstall again on the device, or it is a one-time thing to do ?

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
my OPN just arrived today, and i discovered that beside Facebook, there are also Instagram & Messenger pre-installed..
while the latter two apps can be uninstalled, are there any framework apps related to these 2 apps that should be disabled?

tia..

Saiger

Feb 6, 2012
Dresden
my OPN just arrived today, and i discovered that beside Facebook, there are also Instagram & Messenger pre-installed..
while the latter two apps can be uninstalled, are there any framework apps related to these 2 apps that should be disabled?

tia..

Since instagram and messenger are from Facebook they all share the same "behind the scenes" framework. So you don´t have to disable anything else.

DIR49DNOR0N

Jul 23, 2020

tia..

Specifically: com.facebook.services , com.facebook.system , com.facebook.appmanager, uninstall these in adb. Thankfully instagram is not a system app, uninstall is enough :good:

Jonny108

Nov 6, 2014
Hey i Just got my Nord (EU Version) and I was able to just uninstall the preinstalled apps without ADB. Just like every other app I could completely remove it (not deactivate).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was very dissapointed to see that Oneplus now ships more bloatware such as Facebook with it´s phones. While you can uninstall the app itself, there are a few Facebook-related frameworks in the background that cannot be uninstalled that easy. However with a couple quick ADB command you can solve that problem in a few minutes. With this method you can remove unwanted apps for the (current) user while not touching the firmware thus keeping OTA updates working.

You need:
    - A Computer
    - Fastboot --> I use: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
    - USB - Debugging ENABLED on your phone

How to do it:

Simply connect your phone via USB and open the ADB command window and type the following
    ("-k" will leave the cache intact, you ca remove this part if you want to clean up even more. However I had problems without it in the past in rare cases so I included it)
    Code:
    adb shell

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.services

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.system

Once thats done reboot your phone. Done.
    thx for the guide..

just wanna ask, if there is root, can the "-k --user 0" part be omitted to really completely remove all facebook trash?

tia..

With root I would try this instead.
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    exit

thx a lot..

Sure here you go:

Code:
     com.facebook.system -> Facebook App Installer
    com.facebook.appmanager -> Facebook App Manager
    com.facebook.services -> Facebook Services

But with root I would just use an app instead :p else its too much a hassle
    Dare to recommend a reliable root file manager that's good for this?
    I'd also be interested if there's any difference in removing the package files vs disabling them via ADB? my current understanding: there is none except you gain back the megabytes

I always used Titanium Backup for uninstalling apps however there seems to be an expection with OOS were it can´t remove the apps from the system folder making it useless. I have to check that.
    As for disabling vs removing the files, you are right there´s no difference between them when it comes to stopping them from working on the backround and so on.