• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[guide] how to revert back to gb from lpy ics

Search This thread

gurnishdhillon

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto
Back to GB!!!

Oh man ,,i am so glad ,, happy GOD!!

Reverted back to GB with ease ,,,was so damn scared since i had done a wipe Cache while on LPY before,,,,,,

Thanks every one including Entropy512 ,chasmodo & Dr. Ketan for all ur guidence and help ,i feel relaxed now and can finally sleep :)

mikearmstrong

Sep 14, 2011
I think I'm in the same boat as gurnishdhillon.

I had a stock non-rooted GB (not sure which version) and I downloaded the LPY ICS update on May 10th and flashed it using PC-ODIN.

I didn't and still don't have any root - and don't need it either.

I am finding my battery life to be terrible under ICS (am I the only one finding this?) and I really want to go back to the latest GB rom non-rooted.

Am I correct in understanding from the posts above that all I have to do is find a standard GB Rom (presumably from Samsung web site) and flash that via PC-ODIN and that will do the trick.

I don't really want to have to wipe anything and lose all those game-saves!

Could you point me in the direction of the GB Roms?

Thanks!

Last edited:

beestee

Dec 24, 2008
This is what I'm doing:

1) Download LC1 Firmware from samfirmware --> http://www.hotfile.com/dl/149643785/7619ef9/N7000XXLC1_N7000OXALC1_DBT.zip.html
2) Download CF-Root-SGN_XX_OXA_LC1-v5.3-CWM5.zip
3) Fire up Odin Mobile PRO
4) Check ever root, zImage from the above CF kernel and the above stock GB firmware
6) Flash with wipe on
7) reboot

Could you please tell me if this is ok?

You will want to 'open file' for the stock GB before selecting the CF-Root kernel individually otherwise the stock kernel/recovery will overwrite the CF-Root selection.

I am not certain what would be used to do the wipe in this case if you are wiping as part of the flash process. The flawed kernel instructions of ICS would still be present when this happens, so in my opinion I would rather not wipe during the flashing process, but would rather follow these steps:

1) Download LC1 Firmware from samfirmware --> http://www.hotfile.com/dl/149643785/7619ef9/N7000XXLC1_N7000OXALC1_DBT.zip.html

4) Check ever root, 'open file' for the stock GB, then select the CF-Root kernel individually

6) flash without wipe

7) let the device go into a boot-loop after the flash (the device should get stuck doing the boot animation over and over, let it do it at least twice to be sure the process is complete since the flashing process takes one or two reboots to complete itself)

8) force the device into recovery (volume up, home, and power buttons held until the device powers off and the splash screen comes back on, then immediately release the power button and wait until you are in recovery and then release the other two buttons)

9) factory reset/wipe cache/wipe dalvik manually from within the GB kernel based recovery

10) reboot

Last edited:

norazmi_0673

Jul 17, 2008
55" North 111' South
Ok,i'm on LPY German + CFroot + done wipe cache twice(using Mobile odin to flash ICS & CFroot from Rocketrom GB v23) & TOTALLY scared to revert back to GB or superbrick my GNote. Here's what EXACTLY i do,happened & my opinions:

1.Download Abyss 4.2 kernel, Prerooted GB XXLC1 from bodivas thread,ODIN1.85,RocketRom GB V23 & put it into single folder (unzip prerooted GB rom-3 files & unzip ODIN1.85).Put Abyss4.2&Rocketrom GB v23 to phone internal memory. ODIN&Pre-rooted stay in my pc(in case Abyss&Rocketrom FAILED & Gnote not brick).
2.Backup & shutdown my GNote.
3.Get into CWM (combo button -Volume up,home & power)
4.Flash Abys4.2 kernel successfully & go to Advanced in CWM - Reboot Recovery & wait till GNote reboot & get into Redpil Recovery.
5. Still in Redpill Recovery - wipe data/factory reset,cache & dalvik - STAY IN REDPIL RECOVERY,DONT REBOOT!!!
6. Still in redpil - flash Rocketrom GB v23 - success & Reboot System.
7. MY GNOTE STUCKED IN ROCKETROM BOOT ANIMATION & SCREEN ARE BLANK/BLACK & NO RESPONSE!!!!Try reflash Rocketrom & still same FAILED result!!

Okay,here's what i do next:
1.Take out battery - put my Gnote to Download Mode (Combon buttons - Volume Down,Home & Power).
2. Start Odin1.85 & I just followed instructions in Bodivas thread using Prerooted ROM that i download before...unzip & have 3 files.
3. Connect GNote(still in Download Mode) to my laptop (while odin still running) & green in odin (detect & added).
4. Put 3 files to PDA,Modem & CSC.
5. DOuble check....again&again (dont repartition!!!)
6. START.
7. Gnote Autoreboot & continue installation in Gnote....and reboot GNote again.
8. Gingerbread started & successfully reach the settings..the one "Touch Logo to Settings"......fuhh!!!!! WHAT A RELIEF!!!!!

My opinions:
1. If you on Stock German LPY & STILL NO CF ROOT - the easiest,safe & simplest way is FLASH with ODIN using Prerooted GB (Full-wipe prefered) rom.
2. If you on Stock German LPY + CFRoot & no wipe at all OR Stock Grm LPY + CF ROOT + Wipe Cache - the SAFEST is using Abyss4.2 kernel,Custom GB rom & if failed...use ODIN. Abyss4.2 kernel is important if u failed..u're stil in GB Kernel & can use ODIN (GNOte still can get into CWM or DOnwload Mode).

Anyway,thats myexperience & opinions...maybe dont apply to your GNote....just want to share to all.

cyberpingu

Apr 23, 2011
Firenze
You will want to 'open file' for the stock GB before selecting the CF-Root kernel individually otherwise the stock kernel/recovery will overwrite the CF-Root selection.

I am not certain what would be used to do the wipe in this case if you are wiping as part of the flash process. The flawed kernel instructions of ICS would still be present when this happens, so in my opinion I would rather not wipe during the flashing process, but would rather follow these steps:

4) Check ever root, 'open file' for the stock GB, then select the CF-Root kernel individually

6) flash without wipe

7) let the device go into a boot-loop after the flash (the device should get stuck doing the boot animation over and over, let it do it at least twice to be sure the process is complete since the flashing process takes one or two reboots to complete itself)

8) force the device into recovery (volume up, home, and power buttons held until the device powers off and the splash screen comes back on, then immediately release the power button and wait until you are in recovery and then release the other two buttons)

9) factory reset/wipe cache/wipe dalvik manually from within the GB kernel based recovery

10) reboot
I did exactly as I said, except pass 6, in which I chose not to wipe.
After the flash I did not run into boot loops, it went stright forward, but I got tons of FC at first, due to the unclean installation (I didn't wipe). So I turned the phone off, I entered into recovery mod eand had a factory reset. Then I rebooted and flashed the Abyss Kernel from mobile odin (this last step is not necessary but I liked it, so I redid this step).
Everything is working, as far as I see...
Question is: have I been lucky, or was this the right way to avoid the brick?

bletozavr

May 16, 2012
Novo mesto
hey guys! i'm just wondering.. can i flash a stock firmware (like LC1 open europe for example) via CWM?
also, what do you think about this metod:
1. flash abyss kernel or a gingerbread CF root kernel via mobile odin
2. full wipe in recovery
3. put note into download mode (can i do that without reboot?)
4. flash offical GB rom via pc odin

any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

abq1230

Jan 28, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
What I did:
- I received GT-N7000 with GB2.3.6
- an update notification came up and I acepted
- got updated with ICS xxlpy and all that stuff
- luckly i didnt root, put cwm, flash anything on it
- I got noticed bout the LPY issues and wanted to go back to GB
------ the I said:
"LPY can hardbrick my phone, heeell not. even if Im on stock ICS rom I want to go back to GB.
1 - I flashed LPY CF-Root with odin1.85 (yes, yellow triangle and binary count)
2 - I flashed stock GB with odin (everything went fine)

windows 7 ultimate x64
core i3 3.4ghz

:-D it was funny... and scary

Gaugerer

Sep 9, 2011
I have never rooted my UK Note or done a wipe in Recovery mode and only ever used PC Odin to flash stock ROMS.

I flashed LPY to get ICS then changed the CSC code to ODT (automatic factory reset) so that I had matching German CSC code and ROM.

I flashed LP4 and got the "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped" error loop. I thought the problem might be due to flashing a non-wipe ROM which had not completely cleared the old LPY ROM.

So I flashed KL8 which is an old GB wipe ROM that has multiple CSC codes and changed ODT to XEU (another automatic factory reset). Then I flashed LP4 again and it worked without any errors.

At the end of all that flashing I still had all my personal stuff such as photos, files etc. but I had to download my applications from the Play store.

I don't know how risky it is flashing stock ROMS using PC Odin or whether now I am on LP4 if I still have the risky kernel. But I'm happy to stay on LP4 until the next official update ROM is released and stay clear of doing a wipe in Recovery Mode.

Last edited:

vlastorro

Aug 27, 2012
ICS LPY 4.0.3 to GB 2.3.6 using MobileODINLite-v3.10

What I did:
- I received GT-N7000 with GB2.3.6
- an update notification came up and I acepted
- got updated with ICS xxlpy and all that stuff
- luckly i didnt root, put cwm, flash anything on it
- I got noticed bout the LPY issues and wanted to go back to GB
------ the I said:
"LPY can hardbrick my phone, heeell not. even if Im on stock ICS rom I want to go back to GB.
1 - I flashed LPY CF-Root with odin1.85 (yes, yellow triangle and binary count)
2 - I flashed stock GB with odin (everything went fine)

windows 7 ultimate x64
core i3 3.4ghz

:D it was funny... and scary

I am a newbie and I successfully downgraded my GT-N7000 from

Android IceCreamSandwish ICS 4.0.3 Kernel version 3.0.15-N7000XXLPY-CL474507 [email protected] #3
to
Android GingerBread GB 2.3.6 Kernel version 2.6.35.7-N7000XXLC1-CL1003701 [email protected] #2

I rooted ICS LPY with Root_SuperSU.0.95.Only-signed.zip and Root_Busybox_1.20.2_Only_(No_SuperSU)-S2-Update3-signed.zip
then I Installed MobileODINLite-v3.10.apk and its plugin MobileODIN_FlashKernel_N7000-v2.0.apk
and used it to flash the 'original GB' N7000XXLC1_N7000OXALC1_N7000XXLB2_HOME.tar.md5
After that, I had a 'noisy' GB - I had to ignor some errors (due to some missing weather?) and to quickly enter in Settings/Pprivacy/Factory data reset (checked the Format USB storage) and reset/CLEAN_UP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS THE GUIDE THAT I MANAGED TO REVERT BACK FROM OFFICIAL LPY ICS TO GB WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM

WAS ON ROOTED ICS LPY WITH CF LPY KERNEL

referring to latest bug on LPY rom including E4GT forum, so i decided to revert back to GB. this is the steps that i've done and it's working just fine. It's worked for me and i'm not responsible if this steps doesn't work for you...

- dowmload any GB custom rom, copy to your sdcard
    - download jBroid Kernel Cleaning, copy to yout sdcard
    - download AbyssNote v4.2 kernel, copy to your sdcard
    - download CF LPY kernel, EXTRACT zImage and copy to you sdcard.
    - Mobile Odin, flash zImage
    - reboot to CWM recovery
    - flash jBroid Kernel Cleaning
    - flash AbyssNote v4.2 kernel
    - reboot recovery
    - flash new GB custom rom
    - flash new kernel (if you prefer other than AbyssNote kernel)
    - FULL WIPE
    - REBOOT

*****************************************************************************

Refering to the new bootloader for LPF rom, i managed to go back to GB rom. I flashed LPF rom and decided to try to go back to GB rom.

My method,

- reflashed CWM,
    - flashed AbyssNote 4.2 kernel
    - reboot recovery
    - flashed GB custom rom
    - full wipe

i don't know if this is the correct way to test new samsung bootloader. and i managed to go back to GB checkrom v6 successfully. Try at you own risk!
    Entropy, can we please have a proper guide from you of how to get from LPY/LPF back to GB in the safest way please? :)

That's it right there...

Go to the CF-Root thread. Pick a Gingerbread release - any one will do.

Follow the instructions for installation. (Based on the new information we have on what triggers this bug, Chainfire's DD instructions should be safe. Previously I didn't trust the MMC driver at all, but now I believe that using DD to flash a kernel or Mobile Odin are indeed safe. PC Odin/Heimdall are the safest BUT they will trigger the flash counter. This is not a problem if you're planning to flash CM9 since you can then use TriangleAway.)

Once you have CF-Root installed, pick any Gingerbread CWM-flashable firmware and install it. You can also flash CM9 if you want, since it uses a kernel based on I9100 Update4 sources which is safe if you want ICS.
    but see here for more details. lots of users reported bricked when using PC Odin, nothing yet on Mobile Odin (Including Me)

1 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1653809
    2 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1653582
    So, wait - because PC Odin failed due to classic symptoms of THE DAMAGE IS ALREADY DONE, it's at fault?

Not a single one of those posts shows any evidence that PC Odin bricked their device - they all show indications of users that failed to flash with PC Odin because they MMC was ALREADY DAMAGED.

there's plenty of reports user bricked their device while using Pc Odin. Mobile Odin is the safest for now, coz no one reported anything yet...
    There isn't a single report of a user bricking with PC odin - Show me ONE that isn't an example of a user failing to flash in Odin because their partition is already damaged OR is a historic example of a user being an idiot and flashing bootloaders.

Look, I also think that PC Odin must be 100% safe....

provided you didn't do any wipes prior to using it on stock ICS.

If you did, and your Note has a wonky EMMC chip, nothing would work for you: neither PC, Mobile Odin or Abyss.

You're fcuked.
    Yup. PC Odin is the only 100% safe way to install a fresh kernel.

And that's the other BIG problem with this guide - why is it telling a user to go from a dangerous kernel to YET ANOTHER dangerous kernel (XXLPY-based?)

The safest way to get away from ICS is:
    Use PC Odin or Heimdall to flash a safe Gingerbread kernel with working CWM (NOT a full firmware package, and DO NOT mess with repartitioning), such as a Gingerbread CF-Root release. From there you can wipe and then flash whatever you want.

To be clear - JUST flash a safe kernel and then wipe/flash using that - don't flash anything else in PC Odin. If the full firmware package you flash has bootloaders it could hose you.
    Reverted back using Mobile Odin and CF-LC1 kernel. Did not encounter any problems.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    THIS IS THE GUIDE THAT I MANAGED TO REVERT BACK FROM OFFICIAL LPY ICS TO GB WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM

WAS ON ROOTED ICS LPY WITH CF LPY KERNEL

referring to latest bug on LPY rom including E4GT forum, so i decided to revert back to GB. this is the steps that i've done and it's working just fine. It's worked for me and i'm not responsible if this steps doesn't work for you...

- dowmload any GB custom rom, copy to your sdcard
    - download jBroid Kernel Cleaning, copy to yout sdcard
    - download AbyssNote v4.2 kernel, copy to your sdcard
    - download CF LPY kernel, EXTRACT zImage and copy to you sdcard.
    - Mobile Odin, flash zImage
    - reboot to CWM recovery
    - flash jBroid Kernel Cleaning
    - flash AbyssNote v4.2 kernel
    - reboot recovery
    - flash new GB custom rom
    - flash new kernel (if you prefer other than AbyssNote kernel)
    - FULL WIPE
    - REBOOT
    PC ODIN is the only safe method to revert back to GB

your method has a chance of bricking the device while flashing the JBroid cleaner or abyssnote kernel.

flash with PC ODIN for a safe retreat to GB