• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to rollback from EMUI 9 beta / Back to Android 8

Search This thread

Androlark

Mar 20, 2016
Paris
Hi !

You installed EMUI 9 beta from @a1Pha wonderful guide, but you are not happy of the result ?

Then this guide is for you !

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your bricked devices. This has only been tested by a few people with Windows 10 and EML-L29 C432. Other models may or may not work. Please don't use that method if you don't know how to recover your phone from a bricked or semi-bricked state.

Before starting, you need to ensure 3 things.

• Your phone's bootloader needs to be unlocked
  • Your phone's should also be FRP unlocked
  • You need to remove any type of password, fingerprint or pin from your phone. (TWRP data decryption only works when the phone has no lockscreen security)

If all is OK, then we are good to go !

Steps:

- Download the DOWNGRADE TOOL v0.4.
- Download the matching firmware bundle for your device. (Under EMUI 8 you need 3 files: update.zip, update_full_XXX_hw_eu.zip, and update_data_full_public.zip)
- Extract the DOWNGRADE TOOL somewhere on your PC.
- Put your firmware bundle in the ZIPS-HERE folder (don't forget to rename them, the script will tell you how to do so).
- Plug your phone, enable ADB (Android Debug Mode) and launch the FLASH.bat script.
- Follow all the steps carefully ! Everything should be OK if you do so.
- YOU WILL NEED TO FACTORY RESET !

Compatibility:

I can guarantee this script is working under Huawei P20 and P20 Pro (thanks to @MrDanMak for testing it) . I don't know about other devices.

Massive thanks to:
- @a1Pha
- @Atarii
- @ante0
- @dkionline
- @frantorresm5434
- laststandingdroid
- @mankindtw for the original NoCheck recovery
- @MrDanMak for testing this on his P20 Pro.
- @Pretoriano80
- @shimp208 for the bundled minimal ADB + Fastboot

Last edited:

MrDanMak

Oct 11, 2017
London
Getting the following errors when running the script:

adb: error: failed to copy 'ZIPS-HERE/update.zip' to '/data/update/HWOTA/': remote couldn't create file: Is a directory
ZIPS-HERE/update.zip: 0 files pushed. 20.9 MB/s (131056 bytes in 0.006s)
adb: error: failed to copy 'ZIPS-HERE/update_all_hw.zip' to '/data/update/HWOTA/': remote couldn't create file: Is a directory
ZIPS-HERE/update_all_hw.zip: 0 files pushed. 49.9 MB/s (262112 bytes in 0.005s)
adb: error: failed to copy 'ZIPS-HERE/update_data_public.zip' to '/data/update/HWOTA/': remote couldn't create file: Is a directory
ZIPS-HERE/update_data_public.zip: 0 files pushed. 49.9 MB/s (262112 bytes in 0.005s)
images/nocheck.img: 1 file pushed. 20.5 MB/s (26284032 bytes in 1.223s)

Any idea why I could be having this problem?

Androlark

Mar 20, 2016
Paris

adb: error: failed to copy 'ZIPS-HERE/update.zip' to '/data/update/HWOTA/': remote couldn't create file: Is a directory
adb: error: failed to copy 'ZIPS-HERE/update_all_hw.zip' to '/data/update/HWOTA/': remote couldn't create file: Is a directory
adb: error: failed to copy 'ZIPS-HERE/update_data_public.zip' to '/data/update/HWOTA/': remote couldn't create file: Is a directory
ZIPS-HERE/update_data_public.zip: 0 files pushed. 49.9 MB/s (262112 bytes in 0.005s)

Hello, I just updated my tool, please download it and try again, tell me if it fixes your issue.

Reactions: MrDanMak

Androlark

Mar 20, 2016
Paris
Issue is fixed but when I reboot to nocheck recovery it fails to install the update package unfortunately.

Will keep trying though just in case.

My error ! I putted a letter in a file name which is not required here ! Sorry about that..
You can download again or just edit the 98th line of the FLASH.bat script (update_all_how.zip -> should be update_all_hw.zip)

Reactions: MrDanMak

MrDanMak

Oct 11, 2017
London
My error ! I putted a letter in a file name which is not required here ! Sorry about that..
You can download again or just edit the 98th line of the FLASH.bat script (update_all_how.zip -> should be update_all_hw.zip)

Script worked perfectly after the edit and my device is now back to stock 8.1 :D

Just to confirm my device was a P20 Pro (L29-C432). So if anyone wants to know if it works on a P20 Pro as well the answer is yes.

Thanks for all your help!!

Reactions: Androlark

g_oral

Jun 12, 2011
Gdańsk
Do i need a root or umlocked bootloader?

and do you think I can use this method to upgrade my UK C782 branded phone from .120 to .152?

Last edited:

Androlark

Mar 20, 2016
Paris
Do i need a root or umlocked bootloader?

and do you think I can use this method to upgrade my UK C782 branded phone from .120 to .152?

You don't need root, because EMUI 9 was not supporting any root method. But yes, you need a unlocked bootloader. (It is written on the top of the post btw..)

Yes, you can use this method to upgrade your phone, it is planned to help downgrading your phone, but you can also us it to upgrade... (You need to upgrade from a EMUI 8 FW to another EMUI 8 FW)

Reactions: g_oral

burgess_boy

Sep 8, 2009
Bristol
Xiaomi Poco F3
You don't need root, because EMUI 9 was not supporting any root method. But yes, you need a unlocked bootloader. (It is written on the top of the post btw..)

Yes, you can use this method to upgrade your phone, it is planned to help downgrading your phone, but you can also us it to upgrade... (You need to upgrade from a EMUI 8 FW to another EMUI 8 FW)

Just to confirm, unlocking FRP is as simple as selecting OEM unlock in the developer settings??

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
Sorry, but it is not for me.
You can't lock or unlock in developer settings.
You need an unlock code.

But this does not even work for me.
Everytime I unlock FRP in bootloader mode and phone resets in beta 9 it is locked again.

Oem unlock is required (Frp unlock in fastboot) to unlock the phone.
You will of course need the unlock code as well when unlocking in fastboot mode.

Oct 28, 2017
Oem unlock is required (Frp unlock in fastboot) to unlock the phone.
You will of course need the unlock code as well when unlocking in fastboot mode.

I have the unlock code and yes, bootloader is unlocked.
But it reverses after every factory reset.

Attachments

• photo_2018-09-14_11-57-07.jpg
    photo_2018-09-14_11-57-07.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 539
  • photo_2018-09-14_11-57-24.jpg
    photo_2018-09-14_11-57-24.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 544
Oct 28, 2017
Try connecting WiFi, wait 10 mins, then reboot and check if it can be enabled.

It says right there under it "connect to the Internet or contact your carrier.".

Maybe even try taking out SIM, reboot, put in, reboot, then check if it can be enabled.

I'll try ?

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Nothing works for me. I guess it's because I upgraded to beta through funkyhuawei

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi !

You installed EMUI 9 beta from @a1Pha wonderful guide, but you are not happy of the result ?

Then this guide is for you !

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your bricked devices. This has only been tested by a few people with Windows 10 and EML-L29 C432. Other models may or may not work. Please don't use that method if you don't know how to recover your phone from a bricked or semi-bricked state.

Before starting, you need to ensure 3 things.

• Your phone's bootloader needs to be unlocked
    • Your phone's should also be FRP unlocked
    • You need to remove any type of password, fingerprint or pin from your phone. (TWRP data decryption only works when the phone has no lockscreen security)

If all is OK, then we are good to go !

Steps:

- Download the DOWNGRADE TOOL v0.4.
    - Download the matching firmware bundle for your device. (Under EMUI 8 you need 3 files: update.zip, update_full_XXX_hw_eu.zip, and update_data_full_public.zip)
    - Extract the DOWNGRADE TOOL somewhere on your PC.
    - Put your firmware bundle in the ZIPS-HERE folder (don't forget to rename them, the script will tell you how to do so).
    - Plug your phone, enable ADB (Android Debug Mode) and launch the FLASH.bat script.
    - Follow all the steps carefully ! Everything should be OK if you do so.
    - YOU WILL NEED TO FACTORY RESET !

Compatibility:

I can guarantee this script is working under Huawei P20 and P20 Pro (thanks to @MrDanMak for testing it) . I don't know about other devices.

Massive thanks to:
    - @a1Pha
    - @Atarii
    - @ante0
    - @dkionline
    - @frantorresm5434
    - laststandingdroid
    - @mankindtw for the original NoCheck recovery
    - @MrDanMak for testing this on his P20 Pro.
    - @Pretoriano80
    - @shimp208 for the bundled minimal ADB + Fastboot
    Hi, as for the install script, I created a linux/mac version.

It works, as I've used it myself to downgrade my P20 pro.

Hello, I just updated my tool, please download it and try again, tell me if it fixes your issue.
    Issue is fixed but when I reboot to nocheck recovery it fails to install the update package unfortunately.

Will keep trying though just in case.

Thats not good... How we gonna root EMUI 9 when it becomes possible..

Yesterday there was a Twitter post from funky Huawei. With the new .172 update of emui 9 it will be possible again to check or uncheck the OEM unlock option!