[GUIDE|HOW-TO|ROOT] Cube iWork 10 i15-TCL - Root / Recovery / Boot.img [WIN|LINUX]

Search This thread
Code:
*** Disclamer
* Your warranty is now void.
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.

Hi guys and girls, as you may know it's pretty easy to find here on xda but on other forums (techablets for example) info and files for rooting this tablet, but who has the TCL variant /which is Dual Boot Type C one) will only find outdates files and complex guides; that's the reason why - after spending a lot of time on bootloops and fails trying to figure how the hell modify the boot.img) I finally decided to share what I found here.
First thing first: this guide collects, improves and updates how-to from Laura of techtablets; I also want to thanks @jetfin and @master.pumpgun (aka Tom on techtablets) - they know why! :D

I will basically divide this guide per two: first section is READY TO FLASH, where you'll find my own boot.img (from and ONLY for the latest available stock build); before flashing this image file PLEASE be sure to check if your version is the same I had when preparing the image; also you should absolutely check the MD5 of all the files you will download from here:
  • check MD5 on any Linux distro by simply typing
    Code:
    md5sum /path/to/file/file
  • on Windows you could maybe use this tool: WinMD5
The second section is DO IT YOURSELF, and it's for users with a different kernel/build version from mine. I'll try to eventually update the boot.img if we will receive any new OTA, which I think will never happen. I'll write the second section as soon as possible, but I can speed work up if requested and if Cube updates

- - - - - - - - - - -​

---> READY TO FLASH
Code:
PLEASE NOTE
While the general procedure here reported remains
always correct, the files provided in this part of the
guide - specially the modified boot.img may not work
into your device is the kernel and build version are different
from the one I had, so please go to Settings, About tablet
and check if your specs meet mine:
[B]Model[/B] i15-TCL
[B]Kernel[/B] 3.14.37-x86_64-L1-R517 softteam@pdd-build #1
Sat May 7 17:02:18 CST 2016 
[B]Build[/B] i15-TCL_V1.0_20160507
If you want to root your i15-TCL there's an high chance you would not need nothing more than backup your data, install drivers and adb/fastboot tools and flash file you will download here! BUT you need to have the same kernel and build as I had when prepared the boot.img file, which is the latest at the moment I'm writing. If you know about a newer version lease notify me and I'll try to process it again.
Last but not least, please note that is a pretty long and detailed Guide, I tried to explain and illustrate every single step, also covering some very common issues you may have, so please don't blame on me if it's a long story to read, I'm sure that a few newbies will appreciate :cowboy:

1. First thing to do is to backup data you want to restore because we need to unlock the bootloader (unfortunately there's no way to achieve the root without that, I tried everything I could but it's not possible). Also a general backup of all your partitions (both Windows both Android) could help and make you feel more comfortable. To backup partition please refer this thread on techtablets: The big threads of how-tos. Windows users could also have to install the proper Intel driver attached to end of the post.
  2. Once you did that install adb/fastboot:
    • if you use Windows you can use this tool;
    • if you use a Linux distro please check if the package android-tools (more info here is available for your distro, otherwise you may have to install the official Android SDK (info about that here; no need Android Studio).
  3. Into your tablet go to Settings / About tablet and press 7 times the Build number fields to enable Developer options; now go Back and tap the new voice Developer option: be sure that the main switch is ON and so the OEM unlocking and the USB debugging ones.
  4. Connect your tablet to your PC, open the command prompt or a Linux shell and type
    Code:
    adb devices
    you should receive an output like
    Code:
    adb devices
    List of devices attached
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    0123456789ABCDEF	device
    If not, please please stop and check previous steps, but also:
    • If you use Linux and you see a udev error about permissions you have two solutions: one is running the adb/fastboot by root/sudo, another one is to let udev correctly recognize your idVendor and so your device (always prefer this last way, if possible!), which you can do by following this great mini tutorial on StackOverflow
    • If you use Windows 64bit try to install the driver attached below; don't know if they are also available for 32bit.
  5. Now you have the basic stuff prepared and you are ready to go to fastboot/bootloader, so this is the last time you could check if your build is the same I had, so please do it if you missed that step before. Once more, the info you read from Settings / About tablet have to be
    Code:
    [B]Model[/B] i15-TCL
  6. Into your command prompt or shell type
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    Your device will now go to fastboot mode. You can use your Volume Down / Volume Up to move choose menu commands and Power button to pick one. At the moment you don't need to pick any, so check if you have these two lines in red:
    Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]SECURE BOOT - disabled
    LOCK STATE - unlocked[/COLOR]
    If you have these exact lines you can jump to step10. My bootloader (and also Tom one) was already unlocked; others people reported it was locked, I guess it depends from where we bought the device. So, if your bootloader has those two red lines (which means the bootloader is already unlocked) go to step 10. If you have similar lines but in white and with different text, go to next step
  7. CAUTION: this will permanently erase your userdata partition, which is where you store the applications and their data; you may also have there downloads, music, videos and photos so BE SURE you updated your relevant stuff!! If want to go further type into your command prompt/shell
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    and check if you have the right output, that is
    Code:
    0123456789ABCDEF	fastboot
    If so, go on by typing:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    This will erase your data and finally unlock the bootloader. you'll see something like that
    Code:
    OKAY
    [  0.162s] finished. total time: 0.162s
  8. Now reboot the bootloader: move between the menu with the Volume rockers and press Power when you selected the Restart bootloader command. Wait for reboot, choose Android and you are on bootloader / fastboot mode again. Now you should absolutely have those two lines in red from step 6.
  9. Download modified boot.img rootboot_mod.img and once finished PLEASE CHECK THE MD5 of the file: it should ABSOLUTELY match this one: 53cc4b08b123489e7c73cb013742f35d
  10. Type on command prompt/shell
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/your/file/rootmod_boot.img
    Let the magic happen!
  11. Now download the custom TWRP recovery (courtesy of @vampirefo), check if MD5 is correct (3c05a8704f5a77e20a45364c7a822a2b) and flash it with
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/your/file/i15_recovery.img
  12. Use the Volume rockers to pick the Recovery mode command and press Power to go to recovery. Swipe to allow modification, go to Mount and tap the System checkbox
  13. Download the latest SuperSu recovery flashable version available here, check the MD5 reported in that page and then from your tablet in recovery tap Advanced and then Adb Sideload. Swipe to let sideload mode start and type into your command prompt / shell (and change the path /opt/android-sdk/platform-tools/ with the path where YOU installed adb/fasboot)
    Code:
    adb sideload /path/to/your/file/supersu_file_you_downloaded.zip
    • If you are on Linux and you have udev permissions issues again when sideloading proceed like that
      Code:
      cd /opt/android-sdk/platform-tools
      su
      Password:
      root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb kill-server
      root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb start-server
      root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb devices
      List of devices attached
      0123456789ABCDEF	sideload
      root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb sideload /path/to/your/file/supersu_file_you_downloaded.zip
    • If you have issues on Windows or still having issues on Linux you can always copy the SuperSu zip to a USB Pen and attach the pen to the tablet using the OTG cable or paste the file to a micro SD.
  14. Reboot your device and it's done!

Doing that instead of using the well know root.bat is much better - IMHO - because we don't have to reboot the device two times and we don't have to uninstall SuperSu and flash a new version to update binaries (SuperSu it is not able to update the binaries by itself, nor by recovery nor by app. Also remember that when a new version os SuperSU will be available: Open SuperSu app, go to Settings and tap on Reinstall. Wait for it to finish and shut down the device. Go to bootloader (or use adb when the device is still on), download latest updated flashable SuperSu zip and flash via recovery).

- - - - - - - - - - -​

---> DO IT YOURSELF
WARNING: to do that you need a Linux machine / Virtual machine!

First, be sure to have adb and fastboot working; if issues read the first section for common solutions; you should also have already unlocked your bootloader.
If you did not create a dd backup of your partition I recommend once again to do that; you should at least backup android_boot, android_recovery, android_system (but also consider android_bootloader and android_bootloader2). Please note that to check partition in a human readable mode you can use
Code:
adb shell
ls -las /dev/boot/by-name/*

Now we should create our working folders environment; you can do that by yourself or follow my suggstions.
Open a terminal as normal user; you should be in your home folder; launch the following commands one by one

Code:
mkdir -p Android/iWork10/_working/ ; cd Android/iWork10
mkdir _stockimg ; cd _stockimg
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/android_boot of=/sdcard/boot.img
cd /sdcard/
md5sum boot.img > bootmd5
exit

please note that you could have to execute the exit command 2 times; just be sure to go back to your terminal into your
Code:
/home/USER/Android/iWOrk10/_stockimg
if su is still not available try to dd the same; for me the bootloader was already unlocked and I had no issue to create the dd image

Then
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/boot.img
adb pull /sdcard/bootmd5
and check if MD5 is OK with
Code:
md5sum -c bootmd5
if error recreate the boot image file, if OK go on.

Now we need to download and extract the Android Bootimg Tools; click this link and save it into the
Code:
/home/USER/Android/
folder; once downloaded (the file it's less than 8 kB) we'll extract the two file in the _working dir so to have all the stuff organized; please note that it's important to keep files organized because we'll decompress and re-compress the boot partition and the kernel it contains; if we don't move files appropriately unneeded stuff could go into the kernel! So please try to understand the process or to follow my steps

Code:
cd ../_working/
tar -zxvf ../../android_bootimg_tools.tar.gz
mkdir bootimg
./unpackbootimg -i ../_stockimg/boot.img -o bootimg/

As you can see we unpacked the stock boot.img to the folder bootimg we just created..

Now let's extract the ramdisk, that is where we were pointing from the start..

Code:
cd bootimg ; mkdir ramdisk ; cd ramdisk
gunzip -c ../boot.img-ramdisk.gz | cpio -i

Now if you are familiar with nano or pico terminal continue on terminal to apply the following mods, otherwise open your file manager to the ramdisk folder, then open the default.prop file and change

Code:
ro.secure=1
to
Code:
ro.secure=0

Save and close the editor.

Open the init.rc file and change

Code:
service media /system/bin/mediaserver
    class main
    user [COLOR="Red"]media[/COLOR]

to

Code:
    class main
    user [COLOR="Red"]root[/COLOR]

Please note here that if your bootloader was unlocked without your intervention you could have already user root (I had). In that case just leave as it is and close, otherwise save and close.

Go back to your terminal, you should still be into the ramdisk folder, if not navigate with cd to go to that folder and then

Code:
find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../newramdisk.cpio.gz
Now we have our new ramdisk; at this point we need to open the boot.img-cmdline file that is located into the bootimg folder and copy its content, then go back to the terminal; the terminal should be still in ramdisk folder, so

Code:
cd ..\..\
and we are into the _working folder.

Now the last command, that you CANNOT simply copy and paste. The command is something like that (hold on, don't execute it)

Code:
./mkbootimg --kernel bootimg/boot.img-zImage --ramdisk bootimg/newramdisk.cpio.gz --cmdline 'CONTENT OF YOUR boot.img-cmdline CONTENT HERE; PUT IT BETWEEN SINGLE ' BOTH AT THE START BOTH AT THE END' -o root_boot.img

Please note the double -- for kernel, ramdisk and cmdline options (while single - for -o that stays for output) and also note the single ' peaks that contain the boot.img-cmdline content.. So in my case it will be:

Code:
./mkbootimg --kernel bootimg/boot.img-zImage --ramdisk bootimg/newramdisk.cpio.gz --cmdline 'loglevel=5 androidboot.hardware=cht_cr_mrd_w firmware_class.path=/system/etc/firmware i915.fastboot=1 memmap=4M$0x5c400000 vga=current i915.modeset=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1 enforcing=0 androidboot.selinux=permissive console=ttyS0,115200n8 bootboost=1 pm_suspend_debug=1 pstore.backend=ramoops' -o ../root_boot.img

BUT PLEASE DON'T COPY AND PASTE THIS ONE; JUST USE YOUR boot.img-cmdline FILE (I'm pretty sure they are identical but cannot be sure, SO USE YOURS)

If the command doesn't give errors or the standard output that describe the usage of a linux command (so like usage: mkbootimg --kernel <filename> --ramdisk <filename> - this means you missed something) we are done, we just need to flash it and root. So we now have our modified boot image which will let the tablet boot a rooted OS without bootloop.

If you haven't do it already go to download latest Recovery Flashable zip of SuperSU from SuperSu webpage and the custom TWRP recovery for this device that you find in the first section (also check MD5) and copy both to your internal of external sdcard (if you are not familiar with sideload)
Reboot your device to bootloader with

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
Once it's there,
Code:
fastboot flash boot /home/USER/Android/iWork10/root_boot.img
fastboot flash recovery /path/where/you/downloaded/recovery.img

Now use the volume rockers to pick RECOVERY MODE option and press the Power button. The device will boot the TWRP recovery; allow system modifications when asked and finally flash the SuperSu zip file you downloaded and copied to the tablet (or use adb sideload /path/to/supersu/into/your/pc/supersufile.zip)

You may need to adjust settings in TWRP (timezone and language), then reboot the system and you should have rooted your i15-TCL!
It's easy, isn't it?

PLEASE NOTE: If you have errors like adb, fastboot not recognizing your device, don't ask but read the other section where I explain the most common solution for Windows and Linux; same if you don't find links for recovery, SuperSU or other read the first section, thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - -​

• THANKS
    • @jetfin for providing a lot of goodies that saved my ****** last month :eek: (wish you all the best for the next future mate!)
    • @master.pumpgun (aka Tom on techtablets - amazing guy! :good:)
    • @vampirefo for custom TWRP for this device
    • Laura - for all the info she's made available for this device

Attachments

• AndroidUsbDeviceClass_Win10_64bit.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 598
  • MD5.txt
    100 bytes · Views: 261
Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Great job mate!
It seems very analytical and very useful for people who need a step by step guide.

Unfortunately it requires a full wipe of user data, so for now I am not willing to try this guide.

Sent from my i15-TCL using Tapatalk

Great job mate!
It seems very analytical and very useful for people who need a step by step guide.

Unfortunately it requires a full wipe of user data, so for now I am not willing to try this guide.

Sent from my i15-TCL using Tapatalk
Well, I feel you, unlocking is always annoying but there are apps which let you backup everything.
I couldn't live without root + Link2SD into the cube!

Thanks for the nice words ?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

rpeter

Sep 22, 2008
Budapest
Hi brainvison,

it`s a nice, correct and clear tutorial, many thanks.
Only one question:)
Fortunately I have an unlocked bootloader, then I`ll do it from step 10, but I have a same kernel and build version (3.14.37/x86_64-L1-R517 and V1.0) but the date of this version is different (20160913).
What do you suggest, try it? Or could you help me to create a new version of the boot.img, please?

Nice regards
Peter

Code:
PLEASE NOTE
[B]Model[/B] i15-TCL

Hi brainvison,

it`s a nice, correct and clear tutorial, many thanks.
Only one question:)
Fortunately I have an unlocked bootloader, then I`ll do it from step 10, but I have a same kernel and build version (3.14.37/x86_64-L1-R517 and V1.0) but the date of this version is different (20160913).
What do you suggest, try it? Or could you help me to create a new version of the boot.img, please?

Nice regards
Peter
both kernel and build dates are different, aren't them?

I'll try to write the missing section as soon as possible, don't worry..
In the meantime could you please check a few things that could help to understand a few things?
If your bootloader is unlocked you should have no issue doing that; assuming you already have adb working, open a terminal and execute this commands (just "read" commands, no mods here)
Code:
adb shell
uname -a
cat default.prop
If errors try to execute adb root (this does NOT root, it just use adb as root user, it should work with the unlocked bootloader) before adb shell and if possible please report me the output from unameand cat;)

EDIT: also my advice is to backup your system partitions so to able to go back to stock if needed; at least partitions
Code:
android_boot
android_bootloader
android_bootloader2
android_recovery
android_system
To do that you could check Laura's thread from techtablets or use
Code:
dd if=/dev/by-name/your_partition of=/sdcard/your-partition.img
the if= option is where you choose the partition to backup while the of= one is the resulting file that will be created (an image .img file)
If you agree you could also upload those somewhere on the cloud so we could use them, too, it would be interesting to see what changes.. Naturally the partition I suggested do not contain any personal file, no worry about that (your data is on the android_userdata - or _data, don't remember the name here).

EDIT2: you'll need a Linux machine to mod your boot.img partition, do you have one?

Last edited:

rpeter

Sep 22, 2008
Budapest
both kernel and build dates are different, aren't them? yes, both of the are the same date:20160913
the build.prop is:
Code:
root@i15-TCL:/system # cat build.prop

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=LMY47I
ro.build.display.id=i15-TCL_V1.0_20160913
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.softteam.20160913.102513
ro.build.version.sdk=22
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.all_codenames=REL
ro.build.version.release=5.1
ro.build.version.security_patch=2016-03-01
ro.build.version.base_os=
ro.build.date=Tue Sep 13 10:26:20 CST 2016
ro.build.date.utc=1473733580
ro.build.type=userdebug
ro.build.user=softteam
ro.build.host=pdd-build
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.build.flavor=cht_cr_mrd_w-userdebug
ro.product.model=i15-TCL
ro.product.brand=i15-TCL
ro.product.name=cht_cr_mrd_w
ro.product.device=i15-TCL
ro.product.board=i15-TCL
# ro.product.cpu.abi and ro.product.cpu.abi2 are obsolete,
# use ro.product.cpu.abilist instead.
ro.product.cpu.abi=x86
ro.product.cpu.abilist=x86,armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist32=x86,armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist64=
ro.product.manufacturer=i15-TCL
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=gmin
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=cht_cr_mrd_w
# Do not try to parse description, fingerprint, or thumbprint
ro.build.description=cht_cr_mrd_w-userdebug 5.1 LMY47I eng.softteam.20160913.102513 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=intel/cht_cr_mrd_w/cht_cr_mrd_w:5.1/LMY47I/softteam09131026:userdebug/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
# end build properties

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.dalvik.vm.isa.arm=x86
ro.enable.native.bridge.exec=1
sys.powerctl.no.shutdown=1
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=100m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=174m
dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
dalvik.vm.heapminfree=512k
dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
ro.opengles.version=196609
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
ro.com.google.gmsversion=5.1_r1
ro.gnss.sv.status=true
ro.hwui.texture_cache_size=24.0f
ro.hwui.text_large_cache_width=2048
ro.hwui.text_large_cache_height=512
drm.service.enabled=true
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
persist.sys.language=zh
persist.sys.country=CN
persist.sys.timezone=Asia/Shanghai
persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib.2=libart.so
dalvik.vm.isa.x86.features=sse4_2,aes_in,popcnt,movbe
dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=500
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

# begin fota properties
ro.fota.platform=IntelZ3735F_5.1
ro.fota.id=mac
ro.fota.type=pad_phone
ro.fota.oem=hampoo-cherrytrail_5.1
ro.fota.device=i15-TCL
ro.fota.version=i15-TCL_V1.0_20160913
# end fota properties
root@i15-TCL:/system #

I'll try to write the missing section as soon as possible, don't worry..
Many thanks:)

Code:
adb shell
uname -a
cat default.prop
the adb root and the cat is ok, but the uname is not found:)
the output of the cat is:
Code:
127|root@i15-TCL:/ # cat default.prop
#
# ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES
#
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
ro.frp.pst=/dev/block/by-name/android_persistent
persist.intel.ogl.username=Developer
persist.intel.ogl.debug=/data/ufo.prop
persist.intel.ogl.dumpdebugvars=1
ro.ufo.use_msync=1
ro.ufo.use_coreu=1
wifi.interface=wlan0
persist.service.apklogfs.enable=1
persist.core.enabled=0
ro.secure=1
ro.allow.mock.location=0
ro.debuggable=1
ro.modules.location=/lib/modules
ro.dalvik.vm.native.bridge=libhoudini.so
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb
persist.nomodem_ui=true
ro.zygote=zygote32
dalvik.vm.dex2oat-Xms=64m
dalvik.vm.dex2oat-Xmx=256m
dalvik.vm.image-dex2oat-Xms=64m
dalvik.vm.image-dex2oat-Xmx=64m
root@i15-TCL:/ #

EDIT: also my advice is to backup your system partitions so to able to go back to stock if needed; at least partitions
Code:
android_boot
android_bootloader
android_bootloader2
android_recovery
android_system
All of my partitions expect the largest one(maybe windows) were backed up to sd with dd

If you agree you could also upload those somewhere on the cloud so we could use them, too, it would be interesting to see what changes.. Naturally the partition I suggested do not contain any personal file, no worry about that (your data is on the android_userdata - or _data, don't remember the name here).
I will upload it to somewhere, but which partitions are you need (i don't no clearly, how can I determinate, which partition is the boot, bootloader, ...)
the outputs of the /proc/partitions are the following:
Code:
root@i15-TCL:/ # cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

254        0     102400 zram0
 179        0   61071360 mmcblk0
 179        1     102400 mmcblk0p1
 179        2     102400 mmcblk0p2
 179        3      30720 mmcblk0p3
 179        4      30720 mmcblk0p4
 179        5       1024 mmcblk0p5
 179        6      16384 mmcblk0p6
 179        7    2621440 mmcblk0p7
 179        8     262144 mmcblk0p8
 179        9    8388608 mmcblk0p9
 179       10       1024 mmcblk0p10
 179       11       8192 mmcblk0p11
 179       12     102400 mmcblk0p12
 179       13      16384 mmcblk0p13
 179       14   48361472 mmcblk0p14
 179       15    1024000 mmcblk0p15
 179       48       4096 mmcblk0rpmb
 179       32       4096 mmcblk0boot1
 179       16       4096 mmcblk0boot0
 179       64   15671296 mmcblk1
 179       65   15667200 mmcblk1p1
 253        0    2600764 dm-0
maybe the *p3 is the bootloader, the *p14 is the windows, maybe the *p9 included the data and *p7 is the system, but don't know, which one is the boot, bootloader2, recovery

EDIT2: you'll need a Linux machine to mod your boot.img partition, do you have one?
yes, I have, a debian.

One question, if we have any problem with the upload the modified bootloader, how can i restore the old one (how can I upload (which method, adb, fastboot, or the phone flash?) an original bootloader, if we have a problem with the modded bootloader)
Have you link(s) with the full original windows and andoid image of the i15-tcl? I found to i15-t, i15-td, but not for this version...

Nice regards
Peter

boberq

Apr 13, 2011
i have the same software version as rpeter. When i first boot in fastboot my bootloader was unlocked and secure boot was disabled. Itried flash twrp and it was succesful. Next i downloaded superSu zip from official website and i flashed it. After reboot i stuck at bootlogo. Can you share me a system image to restore?

@rpeter I'll read your long reply asap, now just want to tell you that to check partition in a human readable way you should use
Code:
ls -las /dev/block/by-name/*
the partition I would like you to share are
Code:
android_boot
android_bootloader
android_bootloader2
android_system
android_recovery
when using dd of course as I told you can directly point to that name convention (which are nothing but symbolic link) so
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/android_boot of=/sdcard/android_boot.img
this is for the boot partition, the other the same..
also please before uploading to cloud check the MD5 so we could verify it before installing ;)

are you sure you wrote uname -a the right way? It's weird you don't have it...
About restoration, you could use fastboot in future, I tried it by myself.. the most important are
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
I don't think we'll ever need the two bootloader restoration, it's just to go extremely safe but I still don't find a reason to flash them.. But backup anyway! :D

EDIT: please note the .img extension for the of= part of the dd command!

@boberq sorry for your issue but I have to say that it was obvious: it's not plenty of guides and how-to about this tablet but the few available are also easy to find, and they all clearly state that you need to modify the boot image before rooting, otherwise as you know now, bootloop!

so, if you guys need to immediately root you can send me the boot.img file and I do it for you, otherwise you can wait and do it by yourself - I'm going to write the how-to right now, it should be ready for tomorrow, I guess..

EDIT and yes, we don't have any full restoation image like for other variants, I asked them on Twitter https://twitter.com/CubeHeping (it seems this is their official account that I found via www.51cube.com) - please do the same, maybe they will listen to us :(

Last edited:

boberq

Apr 13, 2011
I flashed i15 td rom and it works without auto rotation. If rpeter share images i want flashthe stock.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

I flashed a i15td rom and everything is fine without auto rotate. Rpeter please share boot and system images, they help me to restore the stock rom.
Ps After first boot if i want enter to recovery , it show red triangle with green android. There was any recovery.

I flashed i15 td rom and it works without auto rotation. If rpeter share images i want flashthe stock.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

I flashed a i15td rom and everything is fine without auto rotate. Rpeter please share boot and system images, they help me to restore the stock rom.
Ps After first boot if i want enter to recovery , it show red triangle with green android. There was any recovery.

stock recovery is not a real recovery there.. Red triangle is the right thing.. BUT if you flashed the custom TWRP with
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
you should have noticed that the process failed.. I don't remember the exact output but you should have seen FAILED instead of SUCCESS. If flash succeed you also need stock recovery, I guess, otherwise it should still bootloop after system restore..

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
@brainvision
Has anything changed about rooting?
I remember that the process was involving resetting in order to unlock bootloader, etc

Sent from my m1 note using Tapatalk

@brainvision
Has anything changed about rooting?
I remember that the process was involving resetting in order to unlock bootloader, etc

Sent from my m1 note using Tapatalk
nope, and it never will in that direction.. :(
you should definitively make a backup, the more you'll wait the worst it'll be! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kanyazsombor

boberq

Apr 13, 2011
I flashed twrp and from it i want flash supersu and i get bootloop. After this i flashed i15td rom andeverything works fine. So can i flash boot,recovery and system image and get stock without root? Or should i flash it using intel flash tool?

I flashed twrp and from it i want flash supersu and i get bootloop. After this i flashed i15td rom andeverything works fine. So can i flash boot,recovery and system image and get stock without root? Or should i flash it using intel flash tool?

you can flash them with fastboot indeed and then root again, I finished writing my how-to, I'm formatting it and update the first post in an hour max..
Never looked at Intel Flash Tool, I don't know if it permits the flash of a single partition or if you need a full image provided by OEM, can't help with that..

boberq

Apr 13, 2011
So i'm waiting for original images from rpeter and i'm goind to flash it. I have a twrp backup with original 20160913 firmware but after bootloop. I can sare it but i think it isnt usefull.
PS
Brainvision , can you share me your original partition images for i15TCL from May? I think it will repair my autorotation.

Last edited:
So i'm waiting for original images from rpeter and i'm goind to flash it. I have a twrp backup with original 20160913 firmware but after bootloop. I can sare it but i think it isnt usefull.
PS
Brainvision , can you share me your original partition images for i15TCL from May? I think it will repair my autorotation.

I do NOT recommend you to flash that because you will completely mess things up, having boot, recovery and kernel with a build date and system with a different one! You went to fast on rooting your device without reading stuff, now I suggest you to wait for @rpeter images - but anyway here it is system.img https://mega.nz/#!YBdw1bIT!GibOWLBNyXAhwEiEdXIV3JKKdMM9gXzLIYvppKn0Bgs

EDIT: guys I updated OP with the missing sectioon, please click thanks if you find it useful.. ;)
@rpeter before rooting remember to backup partition with dd, then upload when you can but backup before rooting! :D
if you have suggestion for the guide or you think something is not so clear please tell me that I'll try to improve..

Last edited:
Reactions: kanyazsombor

rpeter

Sep 22, 2008
Budapest
brainvision, boberq, I'm so sorry, yesterday is one of my longest working day...
My gdrive is currently full, bu I created a dedicated place for yours in my server.
The link is: http://rpeter.dyndns.info/xda
user: xda_users
pwd: i15-tcl
It's included all partitions compressed and uncompressed version expect p9 and p14 (data and windows) and the md5 checksum file.
The output of the "identification" is here:
Code:
127|root@i15-TCL:/ # ls -las /dev/block/by-name/*
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 Basic_data_partition -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 EFI_system_partition -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 Microsoft_reserved_partition -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p13
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_boot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_bootloader -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_bootloader2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_cache -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_config -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_data -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_metadata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_misc -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_persistent -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
I will put it somewhere fastest place, when I have enough time to do it:)

Nice regards
Peter

Last edited:
brainvision, boberq, I'm so sorry, yesterday is one of my longest working day...
My gdrive is currently full, bu I created a dedicated place for yours in my server.
It's included all partitions compressed and uncompressed version expect p9 and p14 (data and windows) and the md5 checksum file.
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 Basic_data_partition -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 EFI_system_partition -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 Microsoft_reserved_partition -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p13
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_boot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_bootloader -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_bootloader2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_cache -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_config -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_data -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_metadata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_misc -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_persistent -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-11-12 12:21 android_system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7

Nice regards
Peter
great work mate!

Thanks a lot. As you may have read I updated the OP with the new section, hope you'll find useful and clear enough, if not don't hesitate to ask, it will be a pleasure to help and to improve the how-to ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    *** Disclamer

Hi guys and girls, as you may know it's pretty easy to find here on xda but on other forums (techablets for example) info and files for rooting this tablet, but who has the TCL variant /which is Dual Boot Type C one) will only find outdates files and complex guides; that's the reason why - after spending a lot of time on bootloops and fails trying to figure how the hell modify the boot.img) I finally decided to share what I found here.
    First thing first: this guide collects, improves and updates how-to from Laura of techtablets; I also want to thanks @jetfin and @master.pumpgun (aka Tom on techtablets) - they know why! :D

I will basically divide this guide per two: first section is READY TO FLASH, where you'll find my own boot.img (from and ONLY for the latest available stock build); before flashing this image file PLEASE be sure to check if your version is the same I had when preparing the image; also you should absolutely check the MD5 of all the files you will download from here:
    • check MD5 on any Linux distro by simply typing
      Code:
      md5sum /path/to/file/file
    • on Windows you could maybe use this tool: WinMD5
    The second section is DO IT YOURSELF, and it's for users with a different kernel/build version from mine. I'll try to eventually update the boot.img if we will receive any new OTA, which I think will never happen. I'll write the second section as soon as possible, but I can speed work up if requested and if Cube updates

- - - - - - - - - - -​

---> READY TO FLASH
    Code:
    PLEASE NOTE
    [B]Model[/B] i15-TCL
    If you want to root your i15-TCL there's an high chance you would not need nothing more than backup your data, install drivers and adb/fastboot tools and flash file you will download here! BUT you need to have the same kernel and build as I had when prepared the boot.img file, which is the latest at the moment I'm writing. If you know about a newer version lease notify me and I'll try to process it again.
    Last but not least, please note that is a pretty long and detailed Guide, I tried to explain and illustrate every single step, also covering some very common issues you may have, so please don't blame on me if it's a long story to read, I'm sure that a few newbies will appreciate :cowboy:

1. First thing to do is to backup data you want to restore because we need to unlock the bootloader (unfortunately there's no way to achieve the root without that, I tried everything I could but it's not possible). Also a general backup of all your partitions (both Windows both Android) could help and make you feel more comfortable. To backup partition please refer this thread on techtablets: The big threads of how-tos. Windows users could also have to install the proper Intel driver attached to end of the post.
    2. Once you did that install adb/fastboot:
      • if you use Windows you can use this tool;
      • if you use a Linux distro please check if the package android-tools (more info here is available for your distro, otherwise you may have to install the official Android SDK (info about that here; no need Android Studio).
    3. Into your tablet go to Settings / About tablet and press 7 times the Build number fields to enable Developer options; now go Back and tap the new voice Developer option: be sure that the main switch is ON and so the OEM unlocking and the USB debugging ones.
    4. Connect your tablet to your PC, open the command prompt or a Linux shell and type
      Code:
      adb devices
      you should receive an output like
      Code:
      adb devices
      List of devices attached
      0123456789ABCDEF	device
      If not, please please stop and check previous steps, but also:
      • If you use Linux and you see a udev error about permissions you have two solutions: one is running the adb/fastboot by root/sudo, another one is to let udev correctly recognize your idVendor and so your device (always prefer this last way, if possible!), which you can do by following this great mini tutorial on StackOverflow
      • If you use Windows 64bit try to install the driver attached below; don't know if they are also available for 32bit.
    5. Now you have the basic stuff prepared and you are ready to go to fastboot/bootloader, so this is the last time you could check if your build is the same I had, so please do it if you missed that step before. Once more, the info you read from Settings / About tablet have to be
      Code:
      [B]Model[/B] i15-TCL
    6. Into your command prompt or shell type
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
      Your device will now go to fastboot mode. You can use your Volume Down / Volume Up to move choose menu commands and Power button to pick one. At the moment you don't need to pick any, so check if you have these two lines in red:
      Code:
      [COLOR="Red"]SECURE BOOT - disabled
      LOCK STATE - unlocked[/COLOR]
      If you have these exact lines you can jump to step10. My bootloader (and also Tom one) was already unlocked; others people reported it was locked, I guess it depends from where we bought the device. So, if your bootloader has those two red lines (which means the bootloader is already unlocked) go to step 10. If you have similar lines but in white and with different text, go to next step
    7. CAUTION: this will permanently erase your userdata partition, which is where you store the applications and their data; you may also have there downloads, music, videos and photos so BE SURE you updated your relevant stuff!! If want to go further type into your command prompt/shell
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      and check if you have the right output, that is
      Code:
      0123456789ABCDEF	fastboot
      If so, go on by typing:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      This will erase your data and finally unlock the bootloader. you'll see something like that
      Code:
      OKAY
      [  0.162s] finished. total time: 0.162s
    8. Now reboot the bootloader: move between the menu with the Volume rockers and press Power when you selected the Restart bootloader command. Wait for reboot, choose Android and you are on bootloader / fastboot mode again. Now you should absolutely have those two lines in red from step 6.
    9. Download modified boot.img rootboot_mod.img and once finished PLEASE CHECK THE MD5 of the file: it should ABSOLUTELY match this one: 53cc4b08b123489e7c73cb013742f35d
    10. Type on command prompt/shell
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot /path/to/your/file/rootmod_boot.img
      Let the magic happen!
    11. Now download the custom TWRP recovery (courtesy of @vampirefo), check if MD5 is correct (3c05a8704f5a77e20a45364c7a822a2b) and flash it with
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery /path/to/your/file/i15_recovery.img
    12. Use the Volume rockers to pick the Recovery mode command and press Power to go to recovery. Swipe to allow modification, go to Mount and tap the System checkbox
    13. Download the latest SuperSu recovery flashable version available here, check the MD5 reported in that page and then from your tablet in recovery tap Advanced and then Adb Sideload. Swipe to let sideload mode start and type into your command prompt / shell (and change the path /opt/android-sdk/platform-tools/ with the path where YOU installed adb/fasboot)
      Code:
      adb sideload /path/to/your/file/supersu_file_you_downloaded.zip
      • If you are on Linux and you have udev permissions issues again when sideloading proceed like that
        Code:
        cd /opt/android-sdk/platform-tools
        su
        Password:
        root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb kill-server
        root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb start-server
        root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb devices
        List of devices attached
        0123456789ABCDEF	sideload
        root@*********:/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools# ./adb sideload /path/to/your/file/supersu_file_you_downloaded.zip
      • If you have issues on Windows or still having issues on Linux you can always copy the SuperSu zip to a USB Pen and attach the pen to the tablet using the OTG cable or paste the file to a micro SD.
    14. Reboot your device and it's done!

Doing that instead of using the well know root.bat is much better - IMHO - because we don't have to reboot the device two times and we don't have to uninstall SuperSu and flash a new version to update binaries (SuperSu it is not able to update the binaries by itself, nor by recovery nor by app. Also remember that when a new version os SuperSU will be available: Open SuperSu app, go to Settings and tap on Reinstall. Wait for it to finish and shut down the device. Go to bootloader (or use adb when the device is still on), download latest updated flashable SuperSu zip and flash via recovery).

- - - - - - - - - - -​

---> DO IT YOURSELF
    WARNING: to do that you need a Linux machine / Virtual machine!

First, be sure to have adb and fastboot working; if issues read the first section for common solutions; you should also have already unlocked your bootloader.
    If you did not create a dd backup of your partition I recommend once again to do that; you should at least backup android_boot, android_recovery, android_system (but also consider android_bootloader and android_bootloader2). Please note that to check partition in a human readable mode you can use
    Code:
    adb shell
    ls -las /dev/boot/by-name/*

Now we should create our working folders environment; you can do that by yourself or follow my suggstions.
    Open a terminal as normal user; you should be in your home folder; launch the following commands one by one

Code:
    mkdir -p Android/iWork10/_working/ ; cd Android/iWork10
    mkdir _stockimg ; cd _stockimg
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/android_boot of=/sdcard/boot.img
    cd /sdcard/
    md5sum boot.img > bootmd5
    exit

please note that you could have to execute the exit command 2 times; just be sure to go back to your terminal into your
    Code:
    /home/USER/Android/iWOrk10/_stockimg
    if su is still not available try to dd the same; for me the bootloader was already unlocked and I had no issue to create the dd image

Then
    Code:
    adb pull /sdcard/boot.img
    adb pull /sdcard/bootmd5
    and check if MD5 is OK with
    Code:
    md5sum -c bootmd5
    if error recreate the boot image file, if OK go on.

Now we need to download and extract the Android Bootimg Tools; click this link and save it into the
    Code:
    /home/USER/Android/
    folder; once downloaded (the file it's less than 8 kB) we'll extract the two file in the _working dir so to have all the stuff organized; please note that it's important to keep files organized because we'll decompress and re-compress the boot partition and the kernel it contains; if we don't move files appropriately unneeded stuff could go into the kernel! So please try to understand the process or to follow my steps

Code:
    cd ../_working/
    tar -zxvf ../../android_bootimg_tools.tar.gz
    mkdir bootimg
    ./unpackbootimg -i ../_stockimg/boot.img -o bootimg/

As you can see we unpacked the stock boot.img to the folder bootimg we just created..

Now let's extract the ramdisk, that is where we were pointing from the start..

Code:
    cd bootimg ; mkdir ramdisk ; cd ramdisk
    gunzip -c ../boot.img-ramdisk.gz | cpio -i

Now if you are familiar with nano or pico terminal continue on terminal to apply the following mods, otherwise open your file manager to the ramdisk folder, then open the default.prop file and change

Code:
    ro.secure=1
    to
    Code:
    ro.secure=0

Save and close the editor.

Open the init.rc file and change

Code:
        class main
        user [COLOR="Red"]media[/COLOR]

to

Code:
        class main
        user [COLOR="Red"]root[/COLOR]

Please note here that if your bootloader was unlocked without your intervention you could have already user root (I had). In that case just leave as it is and close, otherwise save and close.

Go back to your terminal, you should still be into the ramdisk folder, if not navigate with cd to go to that folder and then

Code:
    find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../newramdisk.cpio.gz
    Now we have our new ramdisk; at this point we need to open the boot.img-cmdline file that is located into the bootimg folder and copy its content, then go back to the terminal; the terminal should be still in ramdisk folder, so

Code:
    cd ..\..\
    and we are into the _working folder.

Now the last command, that you CANNOT simply copy and paste. The command is something like that (hold on, don't execute it)

Code:
    ./mkbootimg --kernel bootimg/boot.img-zImage --ramdisk bootimg/newramdisk.cpio.gz --cmdline 'CONTENT OF YOUR boot.img-cmdline CONTENT HERE; PUT IT BETWEEN SINGLE ' BOTH AT THE START BOTH AT THE END' -o root_boot.img

Please note the double -- for kernel, ramdisk and cmdline options (while single - for -o that stays for output) and also note the single ' peaks that contain the boot.img-cmdline content.. So in my case it will be:

Code:
    ./mkbootimg --kernel bootimg/boot.img-zImage --ramdisk bootimg/newramdisk.cpio.gz --cmdline 'loglevel=5 androidboot.hardware=cht_cr_mrd_w firmware_class.path=/system/etc/firmware i915.fastboot=1 memmap=4M$0x5c400000 vga=current i915.modeset=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1 enforcing=0 androidboot.selinux=permissive console=ttyS0,115200n8 bootboost=1 pm_suspend_debug=1 pstore.backend=ramoops' -o ../root_boot.img

BUT PLEASE DON'T COPY AND PASTE THIS ONE; JUST USE YOUR boot.img-cmdline FILE (I'm pretty sure they are identical but cannot be sure, SO USE YOURS)

If the command doesn't give errors or the standard output that describe the usage of a linux command (so like usage: mkbootimg --kernel <filename> --ramdisk <filename> - this means you missed something) we are done, we just need to flash it and root. So we now have our modified boot image which will let the tablet boot a rooted OS without bootloop.

If you haven't do it already go to download latest Recovery Flashable zip of SuperSU from SuperSu webpage and the custom TWRP recovery for this device that you find in the first section (also check MD5) and copy both to your internal of external sdcard (if you are not familiar with sideload)
    Reboot your device to bootloader with

Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    Once it's there,
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot /home/USER/Android/iWork10/root_boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery /path/where/you/downloaded/recovery.img

Now use the volume rockers to pick RECOVERY MODE option and press the Power button. The device will boot the TWRP recovery; allow system modifications when asked and finally flash the SuperSu zip file you downloaded and copied to the tablet (or use adb sideload /path/to/supersu/into/your/pc/supersufile.zip)

You may need to adjust settings in TWRP (timezone and language), then reboot the system and you should have rooted your i15-TCL!
    It's easy, isn't it?

PLEASE NOTE: If you have errors like adb, fastboot not recognizing your device, don't ask but read the other section where I explain the most common solution for Windows and Linux; same if you don't find links for recovery, SuperSU or other read the first section, thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - -​

• THANKS
      • @jetfin for providing a lot of goodies that saved my ****** last month :eek: (wish you all the best for the next future mate!)
      • @master.pumpgun (aka Tom on techtablets - amazing guy! :good:)
      • @vampirefo for custom TWRP for this device
      • Laura - for all the info she's made available for this device
    INCREASE ANDROID INTERNAL STORAGE SPACE
    (OR COMPLETELY REMOVE WINDOWS)
    Code:

Hy guys hi girls :D

This guide is for whom who may need more space in Android. Please note that to achieve that you will have to completely erase your tablet, removing both Android both Windows (but without touching the BIOS)! Someone also told me that it could be possible to try with Macrium Reflect, but I have too bad experiences touching and moving partitions from Windows and lost too much personal stuff that I will never do it again! If you feel brave you could give it a try, still..

So, as said, YOU WILL COMPLETELY RESET YOUR TABLET and you will need to reflash it from scratch: we will use latest Android firmware available at today (September 13 2016) and the official Widows 10 firmware for i15-TC (unfortunately those Cube dumb-ass never released the TCL one, I'm writing them every day but never ever replied!!). I can assure you that there is no difference but the i15-TC sign on the Windows Settings, instead of i15-TCL. This guide was tested by me and by other users from russian forum 4pda; I want to also thanks those users because they taught me how to do that!

**** We will need a few images partitions to restore TCL Android OS, the official TC firmware to restore Windows, a modified partition table file, an 8GB or better 16GB USB pen dirve, a USB keyboard (if you don't have the official Cube keyboard), a USB hub, a mouse and the micro USB OTG cable. If you plan to completely remove Windows you will only need the Android images files and the partition gpt one. ***

Before anything else you may want to backup your data and your Windows 10 product key; note that this procedure will indeed preserve your official product key because we will install official Cube version and the key is stored in the BIOS, but we never know! Search Google for Windows programs that can backup and restore it!

----> Now please download latest firmware Android images (i15-TCL September 13 2016): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69582100&postcount=19
    We need the following partitions:
    Code:
    mmcblk0p2.img
    mmcblk0p3.img
    mmcblk0p4.img
    mmcblk0p5.img
    mmcblk0p6.img
    mmcblk0p7.img
    mmcblk0p8.img
    mmcblk0p10.img
    mmcblk0p11.img
    md5sum.txt
    Please check the MD5 checksum before proceed!

---> Then please download the official Dual Boot firmware (and BIOS - that we will not flash) for the i15-TC from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B55gm49vxGYHWWpGaEFOMXB4dFE

---> Last but not least, download one of these file:
    - if you want Android internal memory of 20 GB (and Windows of 32 GB total): http://www.mediafire.com/file/opmry63m19smmzl/gpt_20g.bin
    - if you prefer to completely remove Windows (you could restore it lately by resizing again partitions): http://www.mediafire.com/file/6sp0b7bevqqdrv1/gpt_53g.bin

---> We will use fastboot commands to repartition and flash Android from scratch, so if you don't know what ti is or you have issue with it, please check the first post for most common issues and solutions.
    ---> We will also need a USB stick drive of 8 GB (I used a 16 GB one but the size of Windows firmware is 7,xx GB so it should be enough). We will first see how to flash Android and then Windows. Please note that I suggest you to strictly follow this order; you could flash Windows months later if you wish, the important thing is that when you flash Windows you already have Android).

So now we are ready. As we said, first we will flash Android.

• FLASH ANDROID

1. Open the folder where you downloaded the img partitions images files (mmcblk0p2.img etc etc) and copy in that folder the gpt file you choose (20 or 53). Do not touch the official i15-TC firmware archive now, we will use it later.
    2. Shut down your device and after one minute start it by booting the bootloader; to do that when device is still off press the Power button, choose Android when it asks which OS you want to start and immediately after that press and keep pressed the Volume Down button until you are in the bootloader.
    If you never unlocked your bootloader we will do it now (unlocking bootloader of course wipe all your Android data, but this is not really important now because we are going to erase all the tablet, so if you did not backup this is your last chance to do it).
    3. Open a command prompt in the folder where you downloaded the img files and copied your partition table (gpt file). We assume that all the files are in the folder where the command prompt is, if not please navigate to it using cd command.
    4. Check if fastboot is working with
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    if the output is
    Code:
    0123456789ABCDEF	device
    go on, if not please check the first post for possible solutions!

5. Now execute every command below by pressing ENTER at the end of each line (you could copy them one by one if you prefer, the important is to execute them as I wrote!)
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Now the following command (and the following one only) will change depending if you choose the 20GB data partition gpt table or if you choose to completely remove Windows (until you choose to flash it again, of course); if you want more space for Android but you also want 32,8 GB for Windows, then execute
    Code:
    fastboot flash gpt gpt_20g.bin
    If you want to completely remove Windows do:
    Code:
    fastboot flash gpt gpt_53g.bin
    The next ones will be the same
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader mmcblk0p2.img
    fastboot flash recovery mmcblk0p4.img
    fastboot flash misc mmcblk0p5.img
    fastboot flash metadata mmcblk0p6.img
    fastboot flash system mmcblk0p7.img
    fastboot flash cache mmcblk0p8.img
    fastboot flash persistent mmcblk0p10.img
    fastboot flash config mmcblk0p11.img
    fastboot format data
    fastboot flash boot mmcblk0p3.img

And it's done. :D
    Now we have an unrooted stock original firmware (with unlocked bootloader of course, but mine was already unlocked when I received it from AliExpress; if your bootloader was unlocked I suggest you to go on; if it was locked and you don't plan to root the device you can lock it again by using fastboot oem lock. PLEASE NOTE that if you will need to root the tablet in the future you will have to unlock it again, it means again wiping all your personal data and apps - not system partition but only personal data, something like a factory reset; so here it's up to you, if unsure leave it unlocked).
    Now we could reboot Android. First thing you want do is to check your internal storage space. So execute
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    The first reboot is always long, you could wait up to 5 minutes, but it will boot, don't worry!

• INSTALL WINDOWS

If you chose the 20GB gpt partition tablet we still have to flash Windows, while if you flashed the 53 one, you are done. Naturally you could execute this procedure again if you changed your mind.
    When and if you decided to flash Windows:
    1. Take a 8 or better 16 GB USB pen drive and format it as NTFS file system from a Windows PC, using as label "WINPE" without quotes
    USB_NTFS_WINPE.png

2. Go to the folder where you downloaded the Cube iWork10 (i15-TC) 26052016.rar and unpack it. Navigate to the WIN10 folder and copy ALL its content to the root of the USB stick; the result will be something like that
    USB_WINPE_WIN10.png

3. Now shut down your tablet and attach the USB hub to the OTG cable and this one to the tablet; attach the keyboard, the mouse and the USB pen drive to the hub (if you have the stock keyboard I think you could directly attach the USB pen to the provided USB on the keyboard itself, but cannot be sure 'cause I never had it).
    You should now be in the BIOS. Go to the very last tab, named SAVE & EXIT and reset the BIOS (if I did not reset the boot run into a ACPI error). Save and exit to restart the tablet and go again into the BIOS; go to the last tab again, and pick your USB Drive here from the Boot Override menu, so we don't need to change the bios settings related to he boot, we will just override for one time the boot sequence. Please look at the following pictures

The line in white is the one you need to pick; of course your USB drive will have a different manufacturer, mine is KingstoneDataTraveler but I don't know yours; also note that the first time I restored Windows I had two partitions there: KingstoneDataTraveler etc, partition 1 and KingstoneDataTraveler etc, Partition 2. In my case with two partitions visible I got to pick the second to boot it. Remember that if you have the same issue.

4. Once you pick up the correct choice there you are basically done; now let Windows do his stuff and install the system files; once finished it will shut down automatically; at the next boot you will be able to configure Windows 10 as usual; unfortunately Cube added only few languages into the official firmware, as I remember only English, Chinese, Polish, Russian, French (for sure, no Italian :D) so you will need to download it later once in Windows (as you did the first time you boot Windows 10 in this tablet, anyway, exactly the same).
    The official (and hopefully) legal Windows 10 Activation key should be fully preserved because it is stored in the BIOS, but if for some reason you lost yours you can now restore the backup you did.

Well, that's all. :good:
    As always it seems a lot of stuff and a very long procedure but I tried to go deep into the process because I know that you could feel like lost when it comes to important stuff like this is!
    Code:

Nice regards
    Peter
    adb shell
    su
    cd /system/app
    Code:
    C:\hddre\iwork10>adb shell
    root@i15-TCL:/ # su
    root@i15-TCL:/ # cd /system/app
    root@i15-TCL:/system/app # ls
    BasicDreams
    Bluetooth
    Browser
    Calculator
    Calendar
    Camera2
    CaptivePortalLogin
    CertInstaller
    ConfigUpdater
    DeskClock
    DocumentsUI
    DownloadProviderUi
    Email
    Exchange2
    FactoryTest
    FileManager
    FotaUpdate
    FotaUpdateReboot
    Galaxy4
    Gallery2
    Gmail2
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    GooglePinyinIME
    HTMLViewer
    HdmiSettings
    HoloSpiralWallpaper
    IntelSecurityAssist
    KeyChain
    LatinIME
    LiveWallpapers
    LiveWallpapersPicker
    Music
    NoiseField
    OpenWnn
    PacProcessor
    PackageInstaller
    PhaseBeam
    PhotoTable
    PicoTts
    PrintSpooler
    SARManager
    SoundRecorder
    UserDictionaryProvider
    VisualizationWallpapers
    VppSettings
    WAPPushManager
    WebViewGoogle
    WidiInputService
    dataapp
    root@i15-TCL:/system/app #

I tried it with mount system with twrp, before flash, and IT WORKS:)
    Many-many thanks for you!
    Code:
    C:\hddre\iwork10>adb shell
    root@i15-TCL:/ # su
    root@i15-TCL:/ # cd /system/app
    root@i15-TCL:/system/app # ls
    BasicDreams
    Bluetooth
    Browser
    Calculator
    Calendar
    Camera2
    CaptivePortalLogin
    CertInstaller
    ConfigUpdater
    DeskClock
    DocumentsUI
    DownloadProviderUi
    Email
    Exchange2
    FactoryTest
    FileManager
    FotaUpdate
    FotaUpdateReboot
    Galaxy4
    Gallery2
    Gmail2
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    GooglePinyinIME
    HTMLViewer
    HdmiSettings
    HoloSpiralWallpaper
    IntelSecurityAssist
    KeyChain
    LatinIME
    LiveWallpapers
    LiveWallpapersPicker
    Music
    NoiseField
    OpenWnn
    PacProcessor
    PackageInstaller
    PhaseBeam
    PhotoTable
    PicoTts
    PrintSpooler
    SARManager
    SoundRecorder
    UserDictionaryProvider
    VisualizationWallpapers
    VppSettings
    WAPPushManager
    WebViewGoogle
    WidiInputService
    dataapp
    root@i15-TCL:/system/app #

I tried it with mount system with twrp, before flash, and IT WORKS:)
    Many-many thanks for you!
    Mmmmm.. It's weird BTW because I always flashed SuperSU without mounting system.. But it's also true that this tablet has a system mounting point very unusual: android_system.
    I'll update the how to as soon as I go back to my PC.
    If you find the how to useful please use the thanks button, it's always a nice thing

Last but not least could you please try now
    uname -a
    From TWRP / Advanced / Terminal?
    I'm curious to see if you have a i15-T output like me(it should be related to the recovery I think, builder with i15-T kernel and boot image)

Inviato dal mio LG-V400 utilizzando Tapatalk