[GUIDE] - How to root debrand and/or remove Retail mode for P20pro CLT-L29

Search This thread

ToLive4

Feb 26, 2009
Sarajevo
This is a solution created from few posts on XDA. It's only collected, edited and tested by me to have all in one place.
Files currently uploading to Gdrive so be patient

Here is also manual edited by @dladz
Same thread post #152 https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152

ROOT ONLY
1.Unlock Your Bootloader https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/how-to-bootloader-unlock-codes-news-t3785294
2.Root your P20PRO with Patched Ramdisk ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
3.Install Magisk Manager MagiskManager.apk
4. Update MagiskManager

Full Debrand
DONT TRY TO REBRAND L29 to L09 or vice versa will brick or have problems ! EDIT:SOME PEOPLE TRIES AND IT WORKS FROM L-09 TO L-29 https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76536502&postcount=29

THERE IS NO HW POSSIBILITY TO CHANGE SINGLE TO DUAL SIM, SO EVEN IF YOU GO FROM L-09 TO L-29 THERE WILL BE NO DUAL SIM!!! NOT EVEN IF YOU PAY TO FUNKY

1.Unlock Your Bootloader https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/how-to-bootloader-unlock-codes-news-t3785294
3.Copy firmware files via MTP to your internal memory
update.zip
update_all_hw.zip
update_data_public.zip
4.Boot into fastboot mode and flash no check recovery recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img
5.Install Magisk Manager MagiskManager.apk
6. Copy OEM info binary file to internal memory oeminfo.bin
7.Boot into Android System enable adb debbuging in developer settings.
8. Start ADB
9.adb shell
10.su
11.accept the prompt at your P20pro
12.mkdir /data/local/tmp
13.mv /sdcard/oeminfo /data/local/tmp
14.cd /data/local/tmp
15.chmod +x oeminfo
16. ./oeminfo CLT-L29 C432 hw/eu
17. mkdir /data/update/HWOTA
18. cd /sdcard/
19.mv *.zip /data/update/HWOTA
20.Paste recovery command(all lines at once) and wait for prompt to be shown before next step:
echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip" > /cache/recovery/command
echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_all_hw.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
21. Exit
22. Exit
23.adb reboot recovery
24.Phone will reboot and starts to install and Rebrand your Phone
Please always use the same Region for Brand and Firmware Files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57

Last edited:

DaveP2611

Aug 11, 2014
Basildon
When you say debrand / remove retail mode?

My phone currently has a locked bootloader (I have the code from Huawei) started out unlocked, with no branding, after putting in a Three UK sim I now have a Three logo everytime I boot up and a factory reset, reinstalls some Three apps and sets my web browser home page to three.co.uk. Would this reset the phone to before I put that SIM card in and gave it that branding.

Shaolin36

Feb 10, 2016
Chelmsford, Essex
This is a solution created from few posts on XDA. It's only collected, edited and tested by me to have all in one place.

ROOT ONLY
4. Update MagiskManager

Full Debrand
DONT TRY TO REBRAND L29 to L09 or vice versa will brick or have problems !
update.zip
update_all_hw.zip
update_data_public.zip
4.Boot into fastboot mode and flash no check recovery recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img
8.copy oeminfo to internal memory
9.adb shell
10.su
12.mkdir /data/local/tmp
14.cd /data/local/tmp
15.chmod +x oeminfo
18. cd /sdcard/
20.Paste recovery command:
echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_all_hw.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
21. Exit
22. Exit
23.adb reboot recovery

I don't know what to say... THANK YOU!!! Your update.zip/update_all_hw/update_data_public files just unbricked my phone.. kind of off-topic, but wow. I was ****ting myself! Thank you so much.

nrd\

Feb 1, 2010
Google Pixel 5
very grateful for the finding out and your hard work.

can you explain the following steps: they seem the same?

from the downloads there is only one file name 'oeminfo'...also it has no extension i.e. .bin

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

we can not debrand because hauwei bootloader unlock site not responding :(

Contact support direct via email or chat, they will provide it.

Elizage2015

Aug 19, 2015
very grateful for the finding out and your hard work.

can you explain the following steps: they seem the same?

from the downloads there is only one file name 'oeminfo'...also it has no extension i.e. .bin

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Contact support direct via email or chat, they will provide it.

how can i do that? :/

nrd\

Feb 1, 2010
Google Pixel 5
how can i do that? :/

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/

im in the UK, try changing 'UK' to your local domain if you are not based in the UK...if german DE works so you may have to work your one out, im not sure if you will need local region support or not.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

amazing...this works, im now on C432 120
Many thanks...instructions work to a T, but i would clear up the steps 6,7,8 as they may confuse.
This my first huawei so im slowly learning, i have nexus's, samsung and sony before so the huawei are new to me.
If for some (strange?) reason i wanted to go back to c732 (UK) how would that be done? would you mind sharing the method?
Also would it be a good idea to save the existing oeminfo in case someone wants to go back? or are these downloadable from somewhere?
Also I would to the instructions root is lost and how to re root the new firmware, factory reset wipes all data and if bootloader is locked or not (i dont think it is but OEM unlock is greyed out).

Many Thanks again.

EDIT: Root after update can be obtained via TWRP as that is now available for p20 i guess? someone confirm?

Elizage2015

Aug 19, 2015
https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/

im in the UK, try changing 'UK' to your local domain if you are not based in the UK...if german DE works so you may have to work your one out, im not sure if you will need local region support or not.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

amazing...this works, im now on C432 120
Many thanks...instructions work to a T, but i would clear up the steps 6,7,8 as they may confuse.
This my first huawei so im slowly learning, i have nexus's, samsung and sony before so the huawei are new to me.
If for some (strange?) reason i wanted to go back to c732 (UK) how would that be done? would you mind sharing the method?
Also would it be a good idea to save the existing oeminfo in case someone wants to go back? or are these downloadable from somewhere?
Also I would to the instructions root is lost and how to re root the new firmware, factory reset wipes all data and if bootloader is locked or not (i dont think it is but OEM unlock is greyed out).

Many Thanks again.

EDIT: Root after update can be obtained via TWRP as that is now available for p20 i guess? someone confirm?

can u help me for unlocking??? i will provide my imei in PM and pls submit it

nrd\

Feb 1, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Does it work with CLT-L09?

If not, are there different files I'll need to flash?

It does, the firmware posted here is for l29..i didnt notice until after flash. My device is now branded l29. i wonder if dual sim works? i dont have a tray to test...
So far so good but DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK>>I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITIES IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO YOUR OR OTHER DEVICES WHO TAKE MY ADVICE.

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Would be good if we can get OEMINFO for l09? is this possible OP?

mcklane

Dec 15, 2007
Thanks OP for this great articel!

I have a question about this statement: 'DONT TRY TO REBRAND L29 to L09 or vice versa will brick or have problems !'

Why would this not work for converting a L09 to a L29? isnt that the same as changing region?

Thank you

energyword

Apr 2, 2011
Italia
Use attached oeminfo just edit model name according to manual via adb shell. Instead of CLT-L29 write CLT-L09 as model name (rest of command is same)
I wanted to try to replace this with the original one and then use the twrp method but putting nobrand software. This oeminfo is from the CLT-L29 Nobrand right?

Inviato dal mio CLT-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is also manual edited by @dladz
    Same thread post #152 https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152

ROOT ONLY
    4. Update MagiskManager

Full Debrand
    DONT TRY TO REBRAND L29 to L09 or vice versa will brick or have problems ! EDIT:SOME PEOPLE TRIES AND IT WORKS FROM L-09 TO L-29 https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76536502&postcount=29

THERE IS NO HW POSSIBILITY TO CHANGE SINGLE TO DUAL SIM, SO EVEN IF YOU GO FROM L-09 TO L-29 THERE WILL BE NO DUAL SIM!!! NOT EVEN IF YOU PAY TO FUNKY

update.zip
    update_all_hw.zip
    update_data_public.zip
    8. Start ADB
    9.adb shell
    10.su
    12.mkdir /data/local/tmp
    14.cd /data/local/tmp
    15.chmod +x oeminfo
    18. cd /sdcard/
    20.Paste recovery command(all lines at once) and wait for prompt to be shown before next step:
    21. Exit
    22. Exit
    23.adb reboot recovery

@ToLive4

Here you go :D

Please read the pre-requisites prior to attempting this guide.

Please bare in mind that this procedure will completely wipe your device.

Pre-requisites

A) A P20 Pro
    B) ADB / fastboot files and drivers for ADB usage
    C) An unlocked bootloader
    D) TWRP Installed and functional: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk name of recovery
    E) Rooted with ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img fastboot flash ramdisk CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
    F) The ability to use ADB / Fastboot commands to your device - ie: right drivers etc
    G) Android debugging and OEM unlocking turned on.
    H) Every file in the Google drive link at the bottom of this guide downloaded to your computer.
    I) ]NOTE*** If you are on a later firmware than 120, please do not attempt this guide!!
    J) NOTE**** There has been 1 known issue with an L-04 device, others have been able to de-brand on L-04 so it's your decision, we don't know if the guide was followed to the letter or not but it ended up unbootable so it's your choice.

Steps

1. Copy all these files to the SDCARD section of your phones memory

update.zip
    update_data_public.zip
    update_all_hw.zip
    oeminfo.bin

2. Copy this file to your ADB folder on your Computer

recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

3. Boot your phone into Fastboot mode and open a command prompt on your Computer from your ADB folder, then type:

4. Reboot your phone so it's in the system

5. Install the Magisk Manager APK on your phone

6. With your phone still turned on in the system and connected to your Computer go back to the CMD / ADB prompt.

7. Type: adb shell

PRESS ENTER

Type: su

PRESS ENTER

NOTE* Accept the prompt on your P20 Pro by pressing: Grant

8. Type: mkdir /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: mv /sdcard/oeminfo /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: cd /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: chmod +x oeminfo

PRESS ENTER

Type: ./oeminfo CLT-L29 C432 hw/eu

PRESS ENTER

Type: mkdir /data/update/HWOTA

PRESS ENTER

Type: cd /sdcard/

PRESS ENTER

Type: mv *.zip /data/update/HWOTA

PRESS ENTER

9. Copy and paste this whole section into the CMD prompt, make sure there are no spaces before or after the script.

10. Type: Exit

PRESS ENTER

Type: Exit

PRESS ENTER

Type: adb reboot recovery

PRESS ENTER

Finally. The device will now reboot and will begin the de-brand process, you'll see a percentage and an EMUI sign with the words "Installing update.."

Allow it to finish, do not interrupt the process.

Once complete, It'll say update success and the device will now reboot

*NOTE: I got an error saying "No SD card or USB device please connect in 2 minutes!" with a percentage moving round from 0 - 100% but it still worked.

Allow the device to continue and it'll perform a factory reset

The device will then boot

Your device will now have the following model and firmware

Model: CLT-L29
    Build: CLT -L29 9.1.0.120(C432)
    EMUI: 8.1.0
    Android: 8.1.0

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Link to files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57
    Installing OTA's after de-branding

Just updated my phone through the various updates and seeing as no one had actually mentioned it i thought i'd do another little guide just to help people out.

After you've gone through either the guide in the OP or https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152 you'll probably have re-rooted and installed TWRP.

*NOTE* You do not have to uninstall TWRP or install the stock recovery, nor do you need to unroot.

Please read through prior to committing to the guide. ;)

1. Go here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57 and download the file called recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

2. Connect your phone to your computer (make sure USB Debugging is on)

3. Put the img file in your ADB / Fastboot folder (my default is C:\adb )

4. Open a command prompt / powershell from your ADB/Fastboot folder.

Type: adb reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

5. Wait for the device to boot to the bootloader (white screen)

Type: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

PRESS ENTER

6. Type: Fastboot reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

7. Disconnect the phone and allow the device to boot up.

8. Once the device is booted, take the update and allow it to fully install.

NOTE* Not sure if it's completely necessary but i did it anyway, disabled all PIN / Password / Fingerprint prior to performing this.

After the installation you'll have no TWRP and you won't be rooted so if you'd like to go back to the way it was.

Follow the guide in the OP to get TWRP and root back.

Hope this helps. :D
    Where exactly? Point them and I will change them

Just the way it's written mate, id normally say where you need to be on the phone prior to each step, ADB (device booted) fastboot, recovery.

Number 2 do you use L29 if you've got a different variant?

Number 3 id add the links to that section

Number 4 what exactly is the code to be typed in?

Put the code to be typed in in italics so it stands out.

Number 5 so we've left fastboot? Nothing to state we have and we need to install an APK? State If the device needs to be booted up at this point.

Number 6 where is the oeminfo file? I know it's in the gdrive but I'd link to it at this point, does it need to be on the root directory?

Number 7 boot into Android system? We just installed an apk according to point 5 ? Aren't we already there??

Numbers 3 and 8 - 19 where specifically are the files we're working with stored? Are they on the phone? Or the computer, are we working via ADB or via a command prompt on a PC, are we booted into the system or recovery at this point?

Locations of the files need to be referenced so that no mistakes are made.

Number 24, what exactly happens here? How would someone know if it's working? Region? How would someone know specifically what they can use?

Perhaps a list of what this method actually works on and what to avoid, maybe an FAQ.

Add a space as I have between steps, easier to read.

Lastly are there any prerequisites? Should prior be backing up their oeminfo? Anything else they should be doing in offer to be able to get back to normal? Avoid bricks etc?

PS not being a d*ck pal trust me, I'd just like it to be clearer, if you'd like help with it I'd be more than happy to help, I have some spare time today.
    I've managed to do it! Rebranded to CLT-L29(C432)! Thanks so much @dladz @colthekid and @ToLive4 as you helped answer all my questions and get me to understand the process!

Is it safe to take OTAs now?