[GUIDE] - How to root debrand and/or remove Retail mode for P20pro CLT-L29

Search This thread

Sleipnirr

Feb 25, 2007
Let me tell my experience:

I had CLT-AL00 181 which is pie. After unlocking bootloader I downgrade it to 176 which is oreo using this topic. It gave some errors, went recovery or erecovery I don't know it made something, It finally it opened but version number was chipset-boston. Then I followed post #152 on this post for rebrand and it totally worked. Finally my version was CLT-L29 161. It was working very well but I decided to update it to pie which I understood I should NEVER try. I use EMUIFlasher_1.0.apk to upgrade and it gave error during process. Now my phone don't turn on. No screen, no vibration, nothing. But when I connect it to PC, It says it is in fastboot. So I think I have some chance to recover it. I tried fastboot commands to unbrick they seems they are working but nothing changed. Then I buy Type C - USB adapter to try Dload method but I couldn't sure I put it download mode because I couldn't see anything. I think there is also another chance to unbrick it. "Test point" method. I will try it when I disassembly my phone.
Last status:
9vtw3My

Edit: I may find something causing error:
"fastboot oem get-build-number" command replies: (bootloader) :CLT-L29 8.1.0.161(C432)
"fastboot oem oeminforead-SYSTEM_VERSION" command replies: (bootloader) :CLT-AL00 9.0.0.167(C00E55R1P15)
So I think I should downgrade system version "fastboot flash system system.img" seems working but version number doesn't change.

Attachments

• 7fe1313b-6655-4c1e-ae67-86610f058845.png
    7fe1313b-6655-4c1e-ae67-86610f058845.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 1,251
Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 10 Pro
Let me tell my experience:

I had CLT-AL00 181 which is pie. After unlocking bootloader I downgrade it to 176 which is oreo using this topic. It gave some errors, went recovery or erecovery I don't know it made something, It finally it opened but version number was chipset-boston. Then I followed post #152 on this post for rebrand and it totally worked. Finally my version was CLT-L29 161. It was working very well but I decided to update it to pie which I understood I should NEVER try. I use EMUIFlasher_1.0.apk to upgrade and it gave error during process. Now my phone don't turn on. No screen, no vibration, nothing. But when I connect it to PC, It says it is in fastboot. So I think I have some chance to recover it. I tried fastboot commands to unbrick they seems they are working but nothing changed. Then I buy Type C - USB adapter to try Dload method but I couldn't sure I put it download mode because I couldn't see anything. I think there is also another chance to unbrick it. "Test point" method. I will try it when I disassembly my phone.
Last status:

Edit: I may find something causing error:
"fastboot oem get-build-number" command replies: (bootloader) :CLT-L29 8.1.0.161(C432)
"fastboot oem oeminforead-SYSTEM_VERSION" command replies: (bootloader) :CLT-AL00 9.0.0.167(C00E55R1P15)
So I think I should downgrade system version "fastboot flash system system.img" seems working but version number doesn't change.

Not too sure, if you can get fastboot running via your pc then that is your best bet.

I've read about flashing the different components one at a time, there's a recovery thread here somewhere, take a look and see.

One thing I would say is to read before you commit. Make sure someone else in the same position has done it before.

Sleipnirr

Feb 25, 2007
Thanks to @oslo83 My phone is alive again, rebranded from CLT-AL00 to CLT-L29, working android 9 and receiving OTA updates. We use test point method to recover my phone.
I found where I made mistake and bricked my phone:
I use EMUIFlasher_1.0.apk to update Oreo (161) to Pie after rebrand. I choose CLT-LGRP2-OVS 9.0.0.247 to update but It was very big mistake. This file was Pie to Pie update which I learned later. After we recovered and came Oreo (161) again, this time I used "Huawei P20 Pro CLT-L29 CLT-L09 hw eu HLRCF Charlotte-L29C 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9T8)" to update Pie and everything go back to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanifh

colinlovesc

Feb 23, 2010
Hi, NEWBIE needs HELP.
I got a China version CLT-AL00 from a friend as a gift which has been updated to PIE.
Luckily the bootloader unlocked service alive again. The Bootloader is been unlocked.

I follow the Sleipnirr’s experience to downgrade to 176. Going over OP and #152 again and again. Trying to download all the necessary files since OP’s google drive link dead already including 8.1.0.161(C432) files and Huawei P20 Pro CLT-L29 CLT-L09 hw eu HLRCF Charlotte-L29C 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9T8 .

After I root the phone with ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img fastboot flash ramdisk CLT-L29-MAGISK.img and then flash and fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img, I installed the Magisk Manager. I got the unsupported Magisk Version. Is there any step I’m doing wrong? ( I didn’t install the TWRP, just unlocked phone, flash ramdisk CLT-L29-MAGISK.img then flash recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img )

Thank you

Ailing201904

Apr 7, 2019
Hi, NEWBIE needs HELP.
I got a China version CLT-AL00 from a friend as a gift which has been updated to PIE.
Luckily the bootloader unlocked service alive again. The Bootloader is been unlocked.

I follow the Sleipnirr’s experience to downgrade to 176. Going over OP and #152 again and again. Trying to download all the necessary files since OP’s google drive link dead already including 8.1.0.161(C432) files and Huawei P20 Pro CLT-L29 CLT-L09 hw eu HLRCF Charlotte-L29C 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9T8 .

After I root the phone with ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img fastboot flash ramdisk CLT-L29-MAGISK.img and then flash and fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img, I installed the Magisk Manager. I got the unsupported Magisk Version. Is there any step I’m doing wrong? ( I didn’t install the TWRP, just unlocked phone, flash ramdisk CLT-L29-MAGISK.img then flash recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img )

Thank you
Maybe I can help u

RoyalOrder

Apr 14, 2019
P20 Pro Demo

Hey, did you find any more issues and Tweaks for the Demo version? I'm waiting and hoping for the Bootloader Unlock Keys to return. :p

mdda7

Mar 14, 2012
AL KHOBAR
3 months ago I debrand my p20pro from c185 to c432
Oem lock has become gray

I tried several method to update and could not yet

i need any help

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 10 Pro
3 months ago I debrand my p20pro from c185 to c432
Oem lock has become gray

I tried several method to update and could not yet

i need any help
Greyed out in what position?

I seem to recall a particular update that caused this.

The later updates changed it back. What firmware are you on

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

How do I get my bootloader unlock code? Will Huawei provide these anymore? I'm stuck in retail mode so want to root. Thanks :)

I don't think anyone does them anymore. Huawei certainly doesn't.

mdda7

Mar 14, 2012
AL KHOBAR
Greyed out in what position?

I seem to recall a particular update that caused this.

The later updates changed it back. What firmware are you on

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

I don't think anyone does them anymore. Huawei certainly doesn't.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 10 Pro
I did not find any way to install any update

No what I meant was I've seen this symptom where previously unlocked bootloaders and non greyed out OEM sections have suddenly changed due to an update, apparently it was one of the pie ones.

I've personally avoided pie, there is no reason to make the switch imho, the ROMs are better on Oreo and with the p20 pro, there is at least half a twrp working.

I'll be buying the OnePlus 7 on launch so will be saying good riddance forever to Huawei, they've seen my first and last purchase.

If I were you I would create a thread and search the p20 pro, p20, p20 lite, Honor view 10 threads for a suggestions.

Personally I think a future update will fix it.

By all accounts this can be done with a little tweaking, but be careful

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

I did not find any way to install any update

Kind of like this

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/upgrade-to-android-pie-throught-t3884054

But please, don't just dive in, read it all. Understand most if not all and ask if you're not sure.

mdda7

Mar 14, 2012
AL KHOBAR
No what I meant was I've seen this symptom where previously unlocked bootloaders and non greyed out OEM sections have suddenly changed due to an update, apparently it was one of the pie ones.

I've personally avoided pie, there is no reason to make the switch imho, the ROMs are better on Oreo and with the p20 pro, there is at least half a twrp working.

I'll be buying the OnePlus 7 on launch so will be saying good riddance forever to Huawei, they've seen my first and last purchase.

If I were you I would create a thread and search the p20 pro, p20, p20 lite, Honor view 10 threads for a suggestions.

Personally I think a future update will fix it.

By all accounts this can be done with a little tweaking, but be careful

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Kind of like this

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/upgrade-to-android-pie-throught-t3884054

But please, don't just dive in, read it all. Understand most if not all and ask if you're not sure.

Doesnt works in EMUI9

tegan1110

Oct 18, 2012
Hi Guys,

Forgive my (possibly) dumb questions... BUT.... here goes...

I have had my P20 Pro on O2 UK for about 8 months. I believe it has some form of customisation from O2 as i have no settings to allow me to activate WiFi calling (perhaps because O2 dont support WiFi calling on this handset.

I have recently unlatched the handset from O2's Network and want to use a SIM from a network that DOES support WiFi Calling.

Are there any particular tricks that I need to do to my handset to "activate" the wifi-calling option in settings? Perhaps I need to flash a stock firmware or change a retailler code or something?

Help appreciated!

Sebastian94

Nov 1, 2014
OEM info

Ho guys, i Need rebrand my CLT-L09C55 to CLT-L09C432 eu. I have all files but i dont find "OEM info file .bin
Where can i find it?
Please help

ooMoo

Apr 23, 2012
I have a Mate 20X AL00 - could I re-brand to L29 using these steps? current firmware version = 9.1.0.123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a solution created from few posts on XDA. It's only collected, edited and tested by me to have all in one place.
    Files currently uploading to Gdrive so be patient

Here is also manual edited by @dladz
    Same thread post #152 https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152

ROOT ONLY
    1.Unlock Your Bootloader https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/how-to-bootloader-unlock-codes-news-t3785294
    2.Root your P20PRO with Patched Ramdisk ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
    3.Install Magisk Manager MagiskManager.apk
    4. Update MagiskManager

Full Debrand
    DONT TRY TO REBRAND L29 to L09 or vice versa will brick or have problems ! EDIT:SOME PEOPLE TRIES AND IT WORKS FROM L-09 TO L-29 https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76536502&postcount=29

THERE IS NO HW POSSIBILITY TO CHANGE SINGLE TO DUAL SIM, SO EVEN IF YOU GO FROM L-09 TO L-29 THERE WILL BE NO DUAL SIM!!! NOT EVEN IF YOU PAY TO FUNKY

1.Unlock Your Bootloader https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/how-to-bootloader-unlock-codes-news-t3785294
    2.Root your P20PRO with Patched Ramdisk ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
    3.Copy firmware files via MTP to your internal memory
    update.zip
    update_all_hw.zip
    update_data_public.zip
    4.Boot into fastboot mode and flash no check recovery recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img
    fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img
    5.Install Magisk Manager MagiskManager.apk
    6. Copy OEM info binary file to internal memory oeminfo.bin
    7.Boot into Android System enable adb debbuging in developer settings.
    8. Start ADB
    9.adb shell
    10.su
    11.accept the prompt at your P20pro
    12.mkdir /data/local/tmp
    13.mv /sdcard/oeminfo /data/local/tmp
    14.cd /data/local/tmp
    15.chmod +x oeminfo
    16. ./oeminfo CLT-L29 C432 hw/eu
    17. mkdir /data/update/HWOTA
    18. cd /sdcard/
    19.mv *.zip /data/update/HWOTA
    20.Paste recovery command(all lines at once) and wait for prompt to be shown before next step:
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip" > /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_all_hw.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    21. Exit
    22. Exit
    23.adb reboot recovery
    24.Phone will reboot and starts to install and Rebrand your Phone
    Please always use the same Region for Brand and Firmware Files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57
    @ToLive4

Here you go :D

Please read the pre-requisites prior to attempting this guide.

Please bare in mind that this procedure will completely wipe your device.

Pre-requisites

A) A P20 Pro
    B) ADB / fastboot files and drivers for ADB usage
    C) An unlocked bootloader
    D) TWRP Installed and functional: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk name of recovery
    E) Rooted with ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img fastboot flash ramdisk CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
    F) The ability to use ADB / Fastboot commands to your device - ie: right drivers etc
    G) Android debugging and OEM unlocking turned on.
    H) Every file in the Google drive link at the bottom of this guide downloaded to your computer.
    I) ]NOTE*** If you are on a later firmware than 120, please do not attempt this guide!!
    J) NOTE**** There has been 1 known issue with an L-04 device, others have been able to de-brand on L-04 so it's your decision, we don't know if the guide was followed to the letter or not but it ended up unbootable so it's your choice.

Steps

1. Copy all these files to the SDCARD section of your phones memory

update.zip
    update_data_public.zip
    update_all_hw.zip
    oeminfo.bin

2. Copy this file to your ADB folder on your Computer

recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

3. Boot your phone into Fastboot mode and open a command prompt on your Computer from your ADB folder, then type:

fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

4. Reboot your phone so it's in the system

5. Install the Magisk Manager APK on your phone

6. With your phone still turned on in the system and connected to your Computer go back to the CMD / ADB prompt.

7. Type: adb shell

PRESS ENTER

Type: su

PRESS ENTER

NOTE* Accept the prompt on your P20 Pro by pressing: Grant

8. Type: mkdir /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: mv /sdcard/oeminfo /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: cd /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: chmod +x oeminfo

PRESS ENTER

Type: ./oeminfo CLT-L29 C432 hw/eu

PRESS ENTER

Type: mkdir /data/update/HWOTA

PRESS ENTER

Type: cd /sdcard/

PRESS ENTER

Type: mv *.zip /data/update/HWOTA

PRESS ENTER

9. Copy and paste this whole section into the CMD prompt, make sure there are no spaces before or after the script.

echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip" > /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_all_hw.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command

10. Type: Exit

PRESS ENTER

Type: Exit

PRESS ENTER

Type: adb reboot recovery

PRESS ENTER

Finally. The device will now reboot and will begin the de-brand process, you'll see a percentage and an EMUI sign with the words "Installing update.."

Allow it to finish, do not interrupt the process.

Once complete, It'll say update success and the device will now reboot

*NOTE: I got an error saying "No SD card or USB device please connect in 2 minutes!" with a percentage moving round from 0 - 100% but it still worked.

Allow the device to continue and it'll perform a factory reset

The device will then boot

Your device will now have the following model and firmware

Model: CLT-L29
    Build: CLT -L29 9.1.0.120(C432)
    EMUI: 8.1.0
    Android: 8.1.0

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Link to files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57
    Installing OTA's after de-branding

Just updated my phone through the various updates and seeing as no one had actually mentioned it i thought i'd do another little guide just to help people out.

After you've gone through either the guide in the OP or https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152 you'll probably have re-rooted and installed TWRP.

*NOTE* You do not have to uninstall TWRP or install the stock recovery, nor do you need to unroot.

Please read through prior to committing to the guide. ;)

1. Go here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57 and download the file called recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

2. Connect your phone to your computer (make sure USB Debugging is on)

3. Put the img file in your ADB / Fastboot folder (my default is C:\adb )

4. Open a command prompt / powershell from your ADB/Fastboot folder.

Type: adb reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

5. Wait for the device to boot to the bootloader (white screen)

Type: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

PRESS ENTER

6. Type: Fastboot reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

7. Disconnect the phone and allow the device to boot up.

8. Once the device is booted, take the update and allow it to fully install.

NOTE* Not sure if it's completely necessary but i did it anyway, disabled all PIN / Password / Fingerprint prior to performing this.

After the installation you'll have no TWRP and you won't be rooted so if you'd like to go back to the way it was.

Follow the guide in the OP to get TWRP and root back.

Hope this helps. :D
    Where exactly? Point them and I will change them

Just the way it's written mate, id normally say where you need to be on the phone prior to each step, ADB (device booted) fastboot, recovery.

Number 2 do you use L29 if you've got a different variant?

Number 3 id add the links to that section

Number 4 what exactly is the code to be typed in?

Put the code to be typed in in italics so it stands out.

Number 5 so we've left fastboot? Nothing to state we have and we need to install an APK? State If the device needs to be booted up at this point.

Number 6 where is the oeminfo file? I know it's in the gdrive but I'd link to it at this point, does it need to be on the root directory?

Number 7 boot into Android system? We just installed an apk according to point 5 ? Aren't we already there??

Numbers 3 and 8 - 19 where specifically are the files we're working with stored? Are they on the phone? Or the computer, are we working via ADB or via a command prompt on a PC, are we booted into the system or recovery at this point?

Locations of the files need to be referenced so that no mistakes are made.

Number 24, what exactly happens here? How would someone know if it's working? Region? How would someone know specifically what they can use?

Perhaps a list of what this method actually works on and what to avoid, maybe an FAQ.

Add a space as I have between steps, easier to read.

Lastly are there any prerequisites? Should prior be backing up their oeminfo? Anything else they should be doing in offer to be able to get back to normal? Avoid bricks etc?

PS not being a d*ck pal trust me, I'd just like it to be clearer, if you'd like help with it I'd be more than happy to help, I have some spare time today.
    I've managed to do it! Rebranded to CLT-L29(C432)! Thanks so much @dladz @colthekid and @ToLive4 as you helped answer all my questions and get me to understand the process!

Is it safe to take OTAs now?