[GUIDE] - How to root debrand and/or remove Retail mode for P20pro CLT-L29

Search This thread

Jacobddu

May 29, 2018
Shanghai
I've done the debranding from a CLT-AL00(a Chinese retail version) successfully almost 6 months ago. And at that time the ROM version was C432B120 bu can not receive the OTA. So I used the HuRUpdater to manually update the ROM after 2 months and then the ROM is C432B152. Until now, I still can not receive the OTA no matter I relock/unlock the BL. And if I go to the recovery mode, the phone can connect the server, but the recovery ROM version is still C432B120.
As P20Pro can not be downgraded, so I don't try it.
I think maybe Huawei has a database which contains all the IMEIs. And mine is recognized as CN version so can not receive the EU version OTA. Will contact Huawei support for help or flash back to CLT-AL00, but I forgot backup the CN version oeminfo.bin.

nubston

Apr 19, 2016
Whitby
Guys I flashed recovery_ramdisk_nocheckp20.img and i just want to clarify i should be seeing TWRP if i reboot to recovery i just want to be sure also i backed up my oeminfo partition and i even grabbed my oeminfo bin file separately but that oeminfo bin is 65 megs almost and not sure if i backed up the correct thing im trying to go from CLT-L09 C782 B159 to c432 b161 but i just want to be sure my recovery is all in good standing as i don't want to run the oeminfo command before i know i can safely flash the files as im not sure i can recover my oeminfo properly thanks in advanced

nubston

Apr 19, 2016
Whitby

FlavioJCosta

Dec 23, 2011
Coimbra
the nocheck recovery in this 1drv is incorrect im currently sourcing the correct file and will reupload so anyone that has been flashing or attempting to flash with this nocheck recovery and just seeing twrp will need the file i shall post shortly as soon as i have it

If this is the answer to my question and i have wrong recovery you are my hero!

nubston

Apr 19, 2016
Whitby
Yeah I followed your guide but doesn't work for some reason. Maybe because I'm on the latest firmware....
Anyway, I guess I'll just leave it.
you probably got the nocheck recovery from the person that uploaded to 1drive that file is not the correct file as i just discovered it not nocheck recovery it is twrp https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BJoG2kY-g95YYnzgN_XusiPjw7dCbW_N is the nocheck recovery you need just follow the guide again and you'll be dandy

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

If this is the answer to my question and i have wrong recovery you are my hero!

justy to be on the save side remove any password fingerprints and pincodes as offcial twrp cannot decrypt if you usign the unoffcial one you should be okay but yeah just follow the guide as you did previously but with this nocheck https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BJoG2kY-g95YYnzgN_XusiPjw7dCbW_N

Reactions: fergalc

FlavioJCosta

Dec 23, 2011
Coimbra
you probably got the nocheck recovery from the person that uploaded to 1drive that file is not the correct file as i just discovered it not nocheck recovery it is twrp https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BJoG2kY-g95YYnzgN_XusiPjw7dCbW_N is the nocheck recovery you need just follow the guide again and you'll be dandy

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

justy to be on the save side remove any password fingerprints and pincodes as offcial twrp cannot decrypt if you usign the unoffcial one you should be okay but yeah just follow the guide as you did previously but with this nocheck https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BJoG2kY-g95YYnzgN_XusiPjw7dCbW_N

You are my best friend right now! OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
I wish i could buy you a beer right now!
Thank you again!

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Sorry for offtopic, but I have one question, if i relock my bootloader, will i be able to unlock it again using the same code i have?

nubston

Apr 19, 2016
Whitby
You are my best friend right now! OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
I wish i could buy you a beer right now!
Thank you again!

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Sorry for offtopic, but I have one question, if i relock my bootloader, will i be able to unlock it again using the same code i have?

haha you can always donate to me through streamlabs :p http://streamlabs.com/corneliusnubston

nubston

Apr 19, 2016
Whitby
I just did!
If you can answer my last question would be nice too :)

what question would that be i'm probably been blind and just not seeing it lol also thank you good sir, for the 2 euro every little helps after xmas haha

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

if you are talking about twrp asking for your password you pretty much need to do the entire tutorial again except for root as you should be still rooted the nocheck recovery replaces twrp and allows the update.zip to be ran by emui updater you can then flash twrp again but twrp has issues with decrypting data there is an unoffcial twrp but i don't think it works with pie but that version has decryption support you can get that version https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-pro/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3779400 but as i side im almost certain pie brakes it

estanenmi

No check its current not need u can flash anyting using erecovery and flash firmware... Or using funky before only need oem unlock for u wanted region and twrp can flash anyting for oreo correctly only emui9 have issues flashing on huru... Roted u can flash anything using flashyfy tool

No check is ussuless

nubston

Apr 19, 2016
Whitby
no check is required erecovery will only use wifi and download the most current firmware that fits if you are following this guide you require the nocheck recovery please don't spread misinformation as you are risking people following this guide and bricking there device

the nocheck recovery you uploaded is just twrp and trying to debrand/rebrand with twrp is almost guaranteed brick and people don't want to use funky for rebranding because it brakes bootloader unlock codes as it messes with your serial numbers

THIS GUIDE REQUIRES THE NO CHECK RECOVERY I LINKED PREVIOUSLY PLEASE USE THAT

Reactions: Saison2018

krixoff

Nov 30, 2011
Hello!

What tutorial do i exactly need for debrand my clt-l09c109 to clt-l09-c432, i want to have last pie version b195 soon.

The one mine have brand (Orange)..

Update are so slow, i'm still on b137 8.1 version.. and i'm tired waiting for official 9.0.0 b163. I give up.. i already have bootloader code.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sleipnirr

Feb 25, 2007
Hello,

I have CLT-AL00 running on latest firmware (9.0.0.181). I have bootloader code. So can I rebrand it European rom? Has anybody tried and succeed?

Ardie009

Nov 13, 2015
Manila
I hope you have rebranding on CLT-AL00

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

Hello,

I have CLT-AL00 running on latest firmware (9.0.0.181). I have bootloader code. So can I rebrand it European rom? Has anybody tried and succeed?

I'm also looking for this..:confused:

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
@ToLive4

Where did you get all the files for mate?

I'll upload them to my mega and maybe keep them up to date.

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

No check its current not need u can flash anyting using erecovery and flash firmware... Or using funky before only need oem unlock for u wanted region and twrp can flash anyting for oreo correctly only emui9 have issues flashing on huru... Roted u can flash anything using flashyfy tool

No check is ussuless

It was written when pie was not released, it worked at the time.

If you're still on Oreo it will still work.

I haven't claimed it's for pie.

If you have a way to get the same job done on pie, please be my guest and write a guide.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a solution created from few posts on XDA. It's only collected, edited and tested by me to have all in one place.
    Files currently uploading to Gdrive so be patient

Here is also manual edited by @dladz
    Same thread post #152 https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152

ROOT ONLY
    1.Unlock Your Bootloader https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/how-to-bootloader-unlock-codes-news-t3785294
    2.Root your P20PRO with Patched Ramdisk ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
    3.Install Magisk Manager MagiskManager.apk
    4. Update MagiskManager

Full Debrand
    DONT TRY TO REBRAND L29 to L09 or vice versa will brick or have problems ! EDIT:SOME PEOPLE TRIES AND IT WORKS FROM L-09 TO L-29 https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76536502&postcount=29

THERE IS NO HW POSSIBILITY TO CHANGE SINGLE TO DUAL SIM, SO EVEN IF YOU GO FROM L-09 TO L-29 THERE WILL BE NO DUAL SIM!!! NOT EVEN IF YOU PAY TO FUNKY

1.Unlock Your Bootloader https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/how-to-bootloader-unlock-codes-news-t3785294
    2.Root your P20PRO with Patched Ramdisk ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
    3.Copy firmware files via MTP to your internal memory
    update.zip
    update_all_hw.zip
    update_data_public.zip
    4.Boot into fastboot mode and flash no check recovery recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img
    fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img
    5.Install Magisk Manager MagiskManager.apk
    6. Copy OEM info binary file to internal memory oeminfo.bin
    7.Boot into Android System enable adb debbuging in developer settings.
    8. Start ADB
    9.adb shell
    10.su
    11.accept the prompt at your P20pro
    12.mkdir /data/local/tmp
    13.mv /sdcard/oeminfo /data/local/tmp
    14.cd /data/local/tmp
    15.chmod +x oeminfo
    16. ./oeminfo CLT-L29 C432 hw/eu
    17. mkdir /data/update/HWOTA
    18. cd /sdcard/
    19.mv *.zip /data/update/HWOTA
    20.Paste recovery command(all lines at once) and wait for prompt to be shown before next step:
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip" > /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_all_hw.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    21. Exit
    22. Exit
    23.adb reboot recovery
    24.Phone will reboot and starts to install and Rebrand your Phone
    Please always use the same Region for Brand and Firmware Files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57
    @ToLive4

Here you go :D

Please read the pre-requisites prior to attempting this guide.

Please bare in mind that this procedure will completely wipe your device.

Pre-requisites

A) A P20 Pro
    B) ADB / fastboot files and drivers for ADB usage
    C) An unlocked bootloader
    D) TWRP Installed and functional: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk name of recovery
    E) Rooted with ramdisk-CLT-L29-MAGISK.img fastboot flash ramdisk CLT-L29-MAGISK.img
    F) The ability to use ADB / Fastboot commands to your device - ie: right drivers etc
    G) Android debugging and OEM unlocking turned on.
    H) Every file in the Google drive link at the bottom of this guide downloaded to your computer.
    I) ]NOTE*** If you are on a later firmware than 120, please do not attempt this guide!!
    J) NOTE**** There has been 1 known issue with an L-04 device, others have been able to de-brand on L-04 so it's your decision, we don't know if the guide was followed to the letter or not but it ended up unbootable so it's your choice.

Steps

1. Copy all these files to the SDCARD section of your phones memory

update.zip
    update_data_public.zip
    update_all_hw.zip
    oeminfo.bin

2. Copy this file to your ADB folder on your Computer

recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

3. Boot your phone into Fastboot mode and open a command prompt on your Computer from your ADB folder, then type:

fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

4. Reboot your phone so it's in the system

5. Install the Magisk Manager APK on your phone

6. With your phone still turned on in the system and connected to your Computer go back to the CMD / ADB prompt.

7. Type: adb shell

PRESS ENTER

Type: su

PRESS ENTER

NOTE* Accept the prompt on your P20 Pro by pressing: Grant

8. Type: mkdir /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: mv /sdcard/oeminfo /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: cd /data/local/tmp

PRESS ENTER

Type: chmod +x oeminfo

PRESS ENTER

Type: ./oeminfo CLT-L29 C432 hw/eu

PRESS ENTER

Type: mkdir /data/update/HWOTA

PRESS ENTER

Type: cd /sdcard/

PRESS ENTER

Type: mv *.zip /data/update/HWOTA

PRESS ENTER

9. Copy and paste this whole section into the CMD prompt, make sure there are no spaces before or after the script.

echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip" > /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_all_hw.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command

10. Type: Exit

PRESS ENTER

Type: Exit

PRESS ENTER

Type: adb reboot recovery

PRESS ENTER

Finally. The device will now reboot and will begin the de-brand process, you'll see a percentage and an EMUI sign with the words "Installing update.."

Allow it to finish, do not interrupt the process.

Once complete, It'll say update success and the device will now reboot

*NOTE: I got an error saying "No SD card or USB device please connect in 2 minutes!" with a percentage moving round from 0 - 100% but it still worked.

Allow the device to continue and it'll perform a factory reset

The device will then boot

Your device will now have the following model and firmware

Model: CLT-L29
    Build: CLT -L29 9.1.0.120(C432)
    EMUI: 8.1.0
    Android: 8.1.0

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Link to files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57
    Installing OTA's after de-branding

Just updated my phone through the various updates and seeing as no one had actually mentioned it i thought i'd do another little guide just to help people out.

After you've gone through either the guide in the OP or https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152 you'll probably have re-rooted and installed TWRP.

*NOTE* You do not have to uninstall TWRP or install the stock recovery, nor do you need to unroot.

Please read through prior to committing to the guide. ;)

1. Go here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57 and download the file called recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

2. Connect your phone to your computer (make sure USB Debugging is on)

3. Put the img file in your ADB / Fastboot folder (my default is C:\adb )

4. Open a command prompt / powershell from your ADB/Fastboot folder.

Type: adb reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

5. Wait for the device to boot to the bootloader (white screen)

Type: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

PRESS ENTER

6. Type: Fastboot reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

7. Disconnect the phone and allow the device to boot up.

8. Once the device is booted, take the update and allow it to fully install.

NOTE* Not sure if it's completely necessary but i did it anyway, disabled all PIN / Password / Fingerprint prior to performing this.

After the installation you'll have no TWRP and you won't be rooted so if you'd like to go back to the way it was.

Follow the guide in the OP to get TWRP and root back.

Hope this helps. :D
    Where exactly? Point them and I will change them

Just the way it's written mate, id normally say where you need to be on the phone prior to each step, ADB (device booted) fastboot, recovery.

Number 2 do you use L29 if you've got a different variant?

Number 3 id add the links to that section

Number 4 what exactly is the code to be typed in?

Put the code to be typed in in italics so it stands out.

Number 5 so we've left fastboot? Nothing to state we have and we need to install an APK? State If the device needs to be booted up at this point.

Number 6 where is the oeminfo file? I know it's in the gdrive but I'd link to it at this point, does it need to be on the root directory?

Number 7 boot into Android system? We just installed an apk according to point 5 ? Aren't we already there??

Numbers 3 and 8 - 19 where specifically are the files we're working with stored? Are they on the phone? Or the computer, are we working via ADB or via a command prompt on a PC, are we booted into the system or recovery at this point?

Locations of the files need to be referenced so that no mistakes are made.

Number 24, what exactly happens here? How would someone know if it's working? Region? How would someone know specifically what they can use?

Perhaps a list of what this method actually works on and what to avoid, maybe an FAQ.

Add a space as I have between steps, easier to read.

Lastly are there any prerequisites? Should prior be backing up their oeminfo? Anything else they should be doing in offer to be able to get back to normal? Avoid bricks etc?

PS not being a d*ck pal trust me, I'd just like it to be clearer, if you'd like help with it I'd be more than happy to help, I have some spare time today.
    I've managed to do it! Rebranded to CLT-L29(C432)! Thanks so much @dladz @colthekid and @ToLive4 as you helped answer all my questions and get me to understand the process!

Is it safe to take OTAs now?