[Guide] How to root N20

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
dr.ketan said:
Root stable Android R (TL5) N986B

Rooting my SM-N986B/DS running Android 11 / TL5 for first time - its been a while since I rooted / owned a Samsung. Are the instructions above good to go? (ie use only this steps instead of what is in post 1?). Thanks.
For Android R look few pages back. I have yet not updated OP for R

jackURbody

Oct 31, 2012
For Android R look few pages back. I have yet not updated OP for R

Thanks - after unlocking bootloader I received error upon flashing TWRP - "Only Official Released Binaries Are Allowed To Be Flashed" - any ideas on how to resolve this? I noticed OEM unlock isn't listed under Dev Options now, is that the issue?

EDIT, after a while the OEM unlock option appeared (greyed) in the Dev Options and so I was able to flash TWRP via Odin. After that it worked no issues following the instructions above. If anyone else gets the same issue, connect to wifi, piss about on phone for a bit without setting up google account, and the OEM unlock option should appear in settings, and that point you will be good to flash from Odin.

Last edited:

farou2

Android R stable release out now.
If anyone wants to root stable Android R for N986B, here is short instructions. I will update OP later with detail info.

- Unlock bootloader
- Reboot to download mode and flash TWRP with AP tab Thanks Ianmacd
- Reboot to TWRP - Flash multidisabler attached here. Here is OP Thanks Ianmacd
- Select wipe - Format data - type 'YES'
- Reboot to recovery & Flash Magisk 21.1 or latest available
Reboot to system
If magisk manager not installed, Manually install apk (same link as above)

Will this also work on N985F/D?

Reactions: dr_hard9999

Sultan1234

Oct 7, 2017

Android R stable release out now.
If anyone wants to root stable Android R for N986B, here is short instructions. I will update OP later with detail info.

- Unlock bootloader
- Reboot to download mode and flash TWRP with AP tab Thanks Ianmacd
- Reboot to TWRP - Flash multidisabler attached here. Here is OP Thanks Ianmacd
- Select wipe - Format data - type 'YES'
- Reboot to recovery & Flash Magisk 21.1 or latest available
Reboot to system
If magisk manager not installed, Manually install apk (same link as above)

Hi,
I have Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (SM-N986B/DS)
Android 11/One UI 3.0

Does this TWRP file work on it? or we should wait until it is updated, as what I found was only for (One UI 2.5)

Thanks

Reactions: dr_hard9999

dr_hard9999

Jul 2, 2010
Mates what about HK version SM-N980 , first is it rootable and does the last method work fine on.
Thanks Dr.ketan for his evervawesome 👌work and all of you.

Bocskay

Apr 28, 2014
Budapest
Hi, Something went wrong. After " 4.Now start flashing and wait till it finish. When you see a PASS sign on Odin, disconnect device. "I got FAIL! and now the device says: "An error has occured while updating the device firmware." Not respondig to anything, nor VolUp+PowerKey nor VolDown+Power key?
It is bricked?
Any idea to make boot up again?
Thx in advance

Bocskay

Apr 28, 2014
Budapest
Keep device connected to PC and Hold on Vol down + power till device force reboot. As soon as device reboot, quickly release keys and hold vol up + vol down. This will reboot to download mode
In case if you get same error screen again, still odin recognize device and you can revive device by flashing stock rom.
Thx, worked :)

dr_hard9999

Jul 2, 2010
Mates what about HK version SM-N980 , first is it rootable and does the last method work fine on.
Thanks Dr.ketan for his evervawesome 👌work and all of you

Piezak

Feb 13, 2021
I finally got my phone updated, but is it really rooted?
I haven't rooted any thing since Note4 which I finally stopped using last fall; so it's been a while. I spent all afternoon on this phone.

At first I tried to perform Dr.Ketan's N9860 process in Post 84. It may have been me, but I was not successful.

Then I moved on to OP #1. First time through OP#1, I only had files in ODIN ...

AP: magisk_patched.tar
and

Userdata: Patched_Kernal.tar
I should also mention that I went from SamSung version 10 to 11 in this process. This passed, but phone was rebooting. Had to factory reset and start over.

Next time through I filled all of the fields in ODIN with files. (Downloaded from SamMobile; version 11)

BL: BL_N9860ZSU1CUA3_CL20517721_QB37777931_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
AP: magisk_patched.tar
CP: CP_N9860ZCU1CUA2_CP17974354_CL20517721_QB37561192_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
CSC: CSC_OMC_OZS_N9860OZS1CUA3_CL20517721_QB37777931_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
Userdata: Patched_Kernal.tar
But, there was no place to include: HOME_CSC_OMC_OZS_N9860OZS1CUA3_CL20517721_QB37777931_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
This was not flashed to phone.

One ...
I don't know if I needed to do anything with the HOME_CSC_OMC_OZS_N9860.... file? Is my phone complete? Do I need this?

Second ...
I don't see APK's: Super User, Titanium Backup and Root Files in my programs. I thought those were part of Majisk. What do I need to do?

Third ... I don't have TWRP, and can't install it as of yet. (In the future) What will that provide me?

Any comments are welcome and sorry if I don't have full understanding. I want to un-install some junk. How do I tell if I am rooted.
Thanks!

NnihcD

May 5, 2011
United States
I have been away from XDA for some time and I am having the hardest time trying to install TWRP on my Note 20 Ultra (N986B/DS) So I need some NOOB help please. :cry: I followed the instructions in the OP and could not get into TWRP. I downloaded another TWRP and then I had access but could not perform any functions. I am now on your premium and I attempted to install TWRP from your site and I get nothing. ODIN will not flash and I get soft bricked.

NnihcD

May 5, 2011
United States
I have been away from XDA for some time and I am having the hardest time trying to install TWRP on my Note 20 Ultra (N986B/DS) So I need some NOOB help please. :cry: I followed the instructions in the OP and could not get into TWRP. I downloaded another TWRP and then I had access but could not perform any functions. I am now on your premium and I attempted to install TWRP from your site and I get nothing. ODIN will not flash and I get soft bricked.

I GOTTA DO MY NOOB HAPPY RANT!!!!!!😁😁

I got everything installed and working except for Android R02. That's next but, I'm just happy I got everything else going. Used a mix between the OP instructions, Post 337 w/files (the files were key) and Post 441. Reading is FUNDAMENTAL.... HA!!! & knowing what version of Android you're on (10/11) helps too.

The files from post 337... Senior Member NOOB out!!!!!

ivanox1972

Sep 26, 2011
One, partly off topic question,
My phone is n985f, Serbia providet telenor, but it is sim free and OXM csc. Very slow Updates.
I saw on sammobile that newest DUB6 fw is out for Russia, it is also csc OXM... Can I just dirty flash it over mine? Then root
Thanks a lot

dr.ketan

One, partly off topic question,
My phone is n985f, Serbia providet telenor, but it is sim free and OXM csc. Very slow Updates.
I saw on sammobile that newest DUB6 fw is out for Russia, it is also csc OXM... Can I just dirty flash it over mine? Then root
Thanks a lot
Both are OXM then yes you can

Reactions: ivanox1972
Good evening from Germany.

I bought a Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G (512GB).
I made sure to get the Snapdragon version because it has more power and puts a little less strain on the battery.

Now I have a basic question:
Can I root my smartphone with these instructions?
The phone seems to be from Hong Kong.
Screenshot_20210222-175248_Settings.jpg Screenshot_20210222-175358_DeviceKeystring.jpg

I have already failed the first step, because no firmware is found for download for my phone.
2021-02-22 18_00_05-SamFirm  (v0.5.0) By Mahmoud Salah.png

I use root because of the adblocker, among other things. On my S7 I use the adblocker and I have a clean phone and can use almost any app without ads. I've been used to it for years now and would like to keep it that way.

I would be very happy if you have some input for me.

Thank you very much!
donnerwolke

dr.ketan

Good evening from Germany.

I bought a Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G (512GB).
I made sure to get the Snapdragon version because it has more power and puts a little less strain on the battery.

Now I have a basic question:
Can I root my smartphone with these instructions?
The phone seems to be from Hong Kong.
View attachment 5229655 View attachment 5229653

I have already failed the first step, because no firmware is found for download for my phone.
View attachment 5229657

I use root because of the adblocker, among other things. On my S7 I use the adblocker and I have a clean phone and can use almost any app without ads. I've been used to it for years now and would like to keep it that way.

I would be very happy if you have some input for me.

Thank you very much!
donnerwolke
Yes method remain same if your device have u locked bootloader.
But if you are rooting only for ad free then I suggest you to look for some non rooted ad free or consider using custom DNS.
Now a days rooting isn't same as era of s7.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root N20 (N985F/N986B/N9860)

WARNING!

Before you root your device you must be aware that

• This will void warranty.
    • As of now you will lose Samsung Pay and Samsung Pass forever if you root once, even unrooting won't help.
    • There are many features stop working when you unlock bootloader other than S pay/Pass like Samsung Health, Secure Folder, Galaxy Watch pairing issue, Issue connecting old gear watch (S3 or earlier), Google Pay etc but some ROMs are patched for all these mentioned features, you can use custom ROM or patch it yourself for stock ROM. Still you may trouble using some bank apps and these may fixed by adding these apps to Magisk Hide
    • There may be some knox features there which you may not able to use but I can't list those as I never used. Just Google It
    • Patched featurs are working today when writing this, No idea if it may stop working next moment/tomorrow or later
    • Also to note, once you root, you can't go back to "pre-rooted" state completely. It is one way!
    • OTA won't work once you root device.
    • ROOT with caution.
    • You can unroot & Relock bootloader after flashing stock firmware, but still your warranty flag remain 0x1 and most of countries it still voids warranty. Also after unrooting & relocking bootloader, some knox features never work again.

How to Unlock Bootloader

Follow below four steps to ulock the bootloader

1.Enable Developer Option
    • Open the Settings app on your Galaxy device.
    • Choose About > Software Information.
    • Now tap on Build Number 7 times to enable the developer option.
    • You’ll get a message “You’re now a developer.”
    • Now Developer option has been enabled.
    2: Enable OEM Unlock
    • Go to the Settings app again on your device.
    • Navigate to the Developer option.
    • Enable the toggle next to OEM Unlocking.
    • Tap YES to turn on the confirmation dialog box.
    3: Boot Your device to Download Mode
    • While device is booted → Connect device to PC → Select to Restart → As soon as device screen turns off, Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down simultaneously OR In case device is powered off Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down simultaneously and connect your device to the PC via a USB Cable.
    • You can see the warning message on your device and release the pressed keys.
    • Finally, press the Volume Up key once, and you will be booted into Download Mode.
    4: Unlock Bootloader
    • Once device booted into Download Mode, you will see option to long press Volume up to unlock bootloader,Now, press and hold the Volume Up key for a few seconds., Here, you’ll get a confirmation whether you are sure to proceed.
    • Use the Volume Up button to reply to the confirmation.
    • This will erase all the data on your device and unlock the bootloader.
    • Once completed, your device will automatically boot up to the OS.

Now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader

How to root

Instructions for stock non rooted ROM​

• Use either samfirm.js, Frija, or Samloader to download the latest firmware zip of your device directly from Samsung servers.
    • Unzip the firmware and copy the AP tar file to your device. It is normally named as AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5
    • Install Magisk apk
    • Press the Install button in the Magisk card
    • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the AP tar file
    • When done, copy patched file to PC
    • Reboot to download mode. Open Odin on your PC, and flash magisk_patched.tar as AP, together with BL, CP, and CSC (NOT HOME_CSC because we want to wipe data) from the original firmware.
    • Your device should reboot automatically once Odin finished flashing. Agree to do a factory reset if asked.
    • Install the Magisk app you’ve already downloaded above and launch the app. It should show a dialog asking for additional setup.
    • Let the app do its job and automatically reboot the device. Voila!

Upgrading the OS​

Once you have rooted your Samsung device, you can no longer upgrade your Android OS through OTA. To upgrade your device’s OS, you have to manually download the new firmware zip file and go through the same AP patching process written in the previous section. The only difference here is in the Odin flashing step: do NOT use the CSC tar, but instead use the HOME_CSC tar as we are performing an upgrade, not the initial install.

Important Notes​

• Never, ever try to restore either boot, recovery, or vbmeta partitions back to stock! You can brick your device by doing so, and the only way to recover from this is to do a full Odin restore with data wipe.
    • To upgrade your device with a new firmware, NEVER directly use the stock AP tar file with reasons mentioned above. Always patch AP in the Magisk app and use that instead.
    • Never just flash only AP, or else Odin may shrink your /data filesystem size. Flash AP + BL + CP + HOME_CSC when upgrading.

PS : It is strongly recommended to make EFS backup once you root device and save to safer place like on cloud or PC

For TWRP
    : Read here

Credit : topjohnwu Guide part taken from Origin guide here
    Guys!
    Today couple of hrs ago received my N20 ultra
    Rooted it but unfortunately TWRP is not worked while I have tested

Good news, I have already created (blindly without device) a Odin flashable ROM couple of days ago and just tested and working like a charm.

Stay tuned!
    Root N9860 TH1 base (Snapdragon)

- Download N9860_TH1_Patched_boot_extract_this_first.zip and extract it.
    - Unlock Bootloader as shown in OP and make sure OEM lock turn greyed out
    - Reboot to Download mode
    - Straightway flash N9860_TH1_Patched_boot.tar.md5 (You have extracted above) with AP tab of Odin
    - Reboot to recovery and format data
    Reboot to system

In case above method doesn't work then patch AP file of stock firmware and flash that AP file with AP tab and above downloaded and extracted file with USERDATA tab of Odin
    Happy to see you here on Note 20 Ultra Dr. Ketan my bro.
    Can we expect a Dr Ketan ROM for the Ultra? If you do you'll force me to buy a new Note 20 ultra. So please don't :p
    Lol!
    (Unfortunately :laugh: ) I have already made a test rom and eagerly waiting to test myself as soon as I receive device. (pre-booked already)