• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] How to root N20 Ultra (N986B)(N9860)

Search This thread

farou2

TWRP no more maintained on linked thread. You can find latest TWRP on my ROM thread donload page.
Thanks Doc for your reply,

Went to your download page and found

twrp-c2s-3.5.2_10-A11_1_ianmacd_July21_extract_this.zip

And when I extracted it the file is tar.md5

In your step by step tutorial you mention that twrp should be a .img then I should convert to .tar question is should go to 7zip and add to archive and convert the .tar.md5 to .tar?

Once again thanks.

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Doc for your reply,

Went to your download page and found

twrp-c2s-3.5.2_10-A11_1_ianmacd_July21_extract_this.zip

And when I extracted it the file is tar.md5

In your step by step tutorial you mention that twrp should be a .img then I should convert to .tar question is should go to 7zip and add to archive and convert the .tar.md5 to .tar?

Once again thanks.
Mine is ready to flash. Simply flash *tar.md5 file you have extracted.

Reactions: farou2

gandotratushar

Dec 12, 2007
I have followed all the steps but the flash process fail everytime. My OEM Bootloader has been greyed out like it mentioned. but still . On the phone it gives some Knox error. I have to flash the standard AP file to boot the phone.. Cant figure out what is wrong. Thanks for your help in advance :)

Attachments

• 20210811_183021.jpg
    20210811_183021.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 36

GreyFox777

Oct 6, 2015
Stuttgart
Can anyone tell me is this normal?

If i flash twrp for first time, i was able to enter recovery mode by this steps: Power off > volume up + side button.

But after i flash the magisk and multidisabler and boot into system, then not anymore. I can enter to recovery from magisk app, but not via keys.

So is this normal or i do something wrong here?

EDIT: oh im sorry, i did not seen earlier post.

So is there any way we can enter recovery from power off device without to be connected to pc?

Dr.][No_WaY

Dec 23, 2011
Hello,
I have s10+ and bought note 20 ultra , in s10+ i need combination key to boot to root , do i need the same with note? Or normal boot will get root?

tayfcm

Aug 22, 2019
Does it work with the following model?

AP : N9860ZSU2DUH3
CP : N9860ZCU2DUH2
CSC : N98600ZS2DUH3

Evil_Smiley_za

Aug 5, 2015
Waterfall
Can anyone tell me is this normal?

If i flash twrp for first time, i was able to enter recovery mode by this steps: Power off > volume up + side button.

But after i flash the magisk and multidisabler and boot into system, then not anymore. I can enter to recovery from magisk app, but not via keys.

So is this normal or i do something wrong here?

EDIT: oh im sorry, i did not seen earlier post.

So is there any way we can enter recovery from power off device without to be connected to pc?
If I am not mistaken you can connect the earphones that came with the phone instead of a PC. Should also work.

nrzamel

Nov 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Here is Patched kernel to root N986B Note20 Ultra (N986B_TH3)

A.Preparing Root files

You need to patch file to flash using Odin to root device.
1. Download stock firmware for your device (google search will give you many sites to download it) some common are e.g. Sammobile, Samfirmware tool)
you need to download file according your region and model (Dial *#1234# will give you details of existing firmware, download accordingly)

2. Once you finish download, extract files and keep all files on PC. From extracted files a file with name AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5 copy to your device.

3.Download Latest Magisk Manager and Install to your device

4.Open Magisk Manager - Magisk (first one) - Install - select to "Select and Patch file" - Navigate file you have copied to device (AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5)

5.Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar

6.Copy patched file magisk_patched.tar to Your PC - THIS IS FILE ONE YOU NEED TO FLASH, Now prepare second file.

A.Patching Kernel : This is required only If you want to root device without installing custom recovery (TWRP). In case you want to root + have TWRP then skip this step and move to step B

Open magisk_patched.tar with 7zip and extract/pull boot.img from tar - Copy boot.img to device and patch it using Magisk manager same as you patch AP file in step 4 - Now you will have Magisk_patched.img file in download folder - Copy that file to PC. Rename that magisk_patched.img to boot.img (Name must be exact same). Make sure your PC have 7-zip installed, If not get and install it. Rt click on boot.img and select 7zip - select "add to archive" - select archieve format as 'tar' - and name it Patched_Kernel (it will be like Patched_Kernal.tar). Don't keep space in name. This will create a Odin flashable patched kernel and This is FILE TWO YOU NEED TO FLASH

B.Preparing TWRP :
Download TWRP for your device from Here. Extract recovery.img from TWRP file you have downloaded. Make sure your PC have 7-zip installed, If not get and install it. Rt click on recovery.img and select 7zip - select "add to archive" - select archieve format as 'tar' - and name it TWRP_file (it will be like TWRP_file.tar). Don't keep space in name. This will create a Odin flashable patched kernel and This is FILE TWO YOU NEED TO FLASH

If above link for TWRP not working/Updated :
You may find latest TWRP ready to flash on my ROM thread download page.

8.Download latest Odin (one is attached to end of this post) and extract to a folder on PC (I recommend on desktop)

Now next step is to modification on device

Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!)

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
When device start to download mode,long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device

Installation (Flashing) custom binaries

1. Switch off the device and reboot to download mode (As said earlier) and select volume up to continue

Open Odin as administrator (Odin attached to below this post)

A.Click AP tab of Odin and navigate to magisk patched file (AP file that you have patched with magisk manager) (One you made in above Preparing files, STEP 6)
B. Here this step, you needs to decide, you want to install TWRP or not.

- In case you don't want TWRP - Click on UserData tab of Odin and navigate to Patched kernel (One you made in above Preparing files, STEP 7A)

OR

- In case you want TWRP then navigate to TWRP file (One you made in above Preparing files, STEP 7B)

3.From Odin option - uncheck Auto Reboot option

4.Now start flashing and wait till it finish. When you see a PASS sign on Odin, disconnect device.

Factory reset

After disconnecting device, keep holding Vol down + Side key to exit from download mode.
Here is very important - when you see device reboot As soon as the screen turns off, immediately press Volume Up + Side Key to boot to recovery partition. continue pressing the volume up button until you see the recovery screen.

In the stock recovery menu, use volume buttons to navigate through menus, and the power button to select the option. Select Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
Select Reboot system now

In case of TWRP, you needs to select WIPE tab - FORMAT DATA - You need to type "yes' to confirm - After this - select REBOOT - REBOOT to recovery - and you have to install two files 1.Magisk zip (2.MultiDisabler (You can get it from TWRP thread) After flashing both - reboot to system

The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, Download Magisk Manager and manually install the APK you downloaded and continue to the next step.

Magisk Manager will ask to do additional setups. Let it do its job and the app will automatically reboot your device. (You must needed to connected to internet)

Important : Once you root device, it is highly recommended to immediately make EFS IMEI backup of device and keep it to safer place other than device itself.

.thanks great tuto

diamondprincessxoo

Mar 8, 2011
Bronx
www.facebook.com
i did all that already somehow i cannot install twrp. i tried it like 3 weeks ago and my phone was done for. i brought it back to life and tried almost every method out there and nothing worked. i low key gave up after that. but i need to try again, having other issues with it now

S3BL104

Apr 2, 2011
Hong Kong
Excuse me,Dr.ketan.
After i have rooted and installed TWRP to my phone,the oem unlocking option turned to active,so do i need to unlock the bootloader again?
Screenshot_20211011-145031_Settings.jpg

Top Liked Posts

Root & TWRP for Android 12 here

Endless support and contribution 👍 @dr.ketan
    Root & TWRP for Android 12 here

Endless support and contribution 👍 @dr.ketan
    Here is Patched kernel to root N986B Note20 Ultra (N986B_TH3)

NOTICE :

Before you move further, make clear that rooting device -
    - Your warranty will be void
    - Some of functions may not work on rooted device, some function may get back with un rooting, some may never.
    - All your data on device will be lost
    - Flashing custom binaries may brick (Usually soft but can be hard brick too) your device, so follow it on your own risk!

If you are ready with condition, move further -

A.Preparing Root files

You need to patch file to flash using Odin to root device.
    1. Download stock firmware for your device (google search will give you many sites to download it) some common are e.g. Sammobile, Samfirmware tool)
    you need to download file according your region and model (Dial *#1234# will give you details of existing firmware, download accordingly)

2. Once you finish download, extract files and keep all files on PC. From extracted files a file with name AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5 copy to your device.

3.Download Latest Magisk Manager and Install to your device

4.Open Magisk Manager - Magisk (first one) - Install - select to "Select and Patch file" - Navigate file you have copied to device (AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5)

5.Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar

6.Copy patched file magisk_patched.tar to Your PC - THIS IS FILE ONE YOU NEED TO FLASH, Now prepare second file.

A.Patching Kernel : This is required only If you want to root device without installing custom recovery (TWRP). In case you want to root + have TWRP then skip this step and move to step B

Open magisk_patched.tar with 7zip and extract/pull boot.img from tar - Copy boot.img to device and patch it using Magisk manager same as you patch AP file in step 4 - Now you will have Magisk_patched.img file in download folder - Copy that file to PC. Rename that magisk_patched.img to boot.img (Name must be exact same). Make sure your PC have 7-zip installed, If not get and install it. Rt click on boot.img and select 7zip - select "add to archive" - select archieve format as 'tar' - and name it Patched_Kernel (it will be like Patched_Kernal.tar). Don't keep space in name. This will create a Odin flashable patched kernel and This is FILE TWO YOU NEED TO FLASH

B.Preparing TWRP :
    Download TWRP for your device from Here. Extract recovery.img from TWRP file you have downloaded. Make sure your PC have 7-zip installed, If not get and install it. Rt click on recovery.img and select 7zip - select "add to archive" - select archieve format as 'tar' - and name it TWRP_file (it will be like TWRP_file.tar). Don't keep space in name. This will create a Odin flashable patched kernel and This is FILE TWO YOU NEED TO FLASH

If above link for TWRP not working/Updated :
    You may find latest TWRP ready to flash on my ROM thread download page.

8.Download latest Odin (one is attached to end of this post) and extract to a folder on PC (I recommend on desktop)

Now next step is to modification on device

Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
    Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!)

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
    To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
    When device start to download mode,long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
    If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device

Installation (Flashing) custom binaries

1. Switch off the device and reboot to download mode (As said earlier) and select volume up to continue

Open Odin as administrator (Odin attached to below this post)

A.Click AP tab of Odin and navigate to magisk patched file (AP file that you have patched with magisk manager) (One you made in above Preparing files, STEP 6)
    B. Here this step, you needs to decide, you want to install TWRP or not.

- In case you don't want TWRP - Click on UserData tab of Odin and navigate to Patched kernel (One you made in above Preparing files, STEP 7A)

OR

- In case you want TWRP then navigate to TWRP file (One you made in above Preparing files, STEP 7B)

3.From Odin option - uncheck Auto Reboot option

4.Now start flashing and wait till it finish. When you see a PASS sign on Odin, disconnect device.

Factory reset

After disconnecting device, keep holding Vol down + Side key to exit from download mode.
    Here is very important - when you see device reboot As soon as the screen turns off, immediately press Volume Up + Side Key to boot to recovery partition. continue pressing the volume up button until you see the recovery screen.

In the stock recovery menu, use volume buttons to navigate through menus, and the power button to select the option. Select Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
    Select Reboot system now

In case of TWRP, you needs to select WIPE tab - FORMAT DATA - You need to type "yes' to confirm - After this - select REBOOT - REBOOT to recovery - and you have to install two files 1.Magisk zip (2.MultiDisabler (You can get it from TWRP thread) After flashing both - reboot to system

The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, Download Magisk Manager and manually install the APK you downloaded and continue to the next step.

Magisk Manager will ask to do additional setups. Let it do its job and the app will automatically reboot your device. (You must needed to connected to internet)

Important : Once you root device, it is highly recommended to immediately make EFS IMEI backup of device and keep it to safer place other than device itself.

Guys!
    Today couple of hrs ago received my N20 ultra
    Rooted it but unfortunately TWRP is not worked while I have tested

Good news, I have already created (blindly without device) a Odin flashable ROM couple of days ago and just tested and working like a charm.

Stay tuned!
    Root N9860 TH1 base (Snapdragon)

- Download N9860_TH1_Patched_boot_extract_this_first.zip and extract it.
    - Unlock Bootloader as shown in OP and make sure OEM lock turn greyed out
    - Reboot to Download mode
    - Straightway flash N9860_TH1_Patched_boot.tar.md5 (You have extracted above) with AP tab of Odin
    - Reboot to recovery and format data
    Reboot to system

In case above method doesn't work then patch AP file of stock firmware and flash that AP file with AP tab and above downloaded and extracted file with USERDATA tab of Odin
    Can we expect a Dr Ketan ROM for the Ultra? If you do you'll force me to buy a new Note 20 ultra. So please don't :p
    Lol!
    (Unfortunately :laugh: ) I have already made a test rom and eagerly waiting to test myself as soon as I receive device. (pre-booked already)
    Root stable Android R (TL5) N986B

Android R stable release out now.
    If anyone wants to root stable Android R for N986B, here is short instructions. I will update OP later with detail info.

- Unlock bootloader
    - Reboot to download mode and flash TWRP with AP tab Thanks Ianmacd
    - Reboot to TWRP - Flash multidisabler attached here. Here is OP Thanks Ianmacd
    - Select wipe - Format data - type 'YES'
    - Reboot to recovery & Flash Magisk 21.1 or latest available
    Reboot to system
    If magisk manager not installed, Manually install apk (same link as above)