[GUIDE] How to Root Note 5 I EFS Backup I Xposed I Deep sleep Fix I Updated

Search This thread
G

Gr3atGeek

Can this method be used to root n920g with
baseband N920GUBU3BQA3
Build Number MMB29K.N920GDDU3BQA4.???
If you want to install any custom rom then just flash latest twrp recovery for sm-n920g through odin.( Don't forget to enable oem unlock and usb debugging from developers option and untick auto reboot option from odin as many users facing forced boot into stock recovery even after flashinn twrp..You have to enter into recovery manually after flashing it through odin..When in download mode after completion of flashing recovery, press and hold power and volume down button untill screen turns off and then immediately press volume up+power+home button to boot into recovery), you will find it on their website and flash pre-rooted custom rom as you can also make backup of your current stock rom using twrp..I don't have any idea about CF autoroot i.e. it will root successfully your device with specific build number and baseband..As on cf autoroot download section there is file available to download bur showing compatible with build number BPC2 and BPC4...By the way depends on you but after flashing twrp its always recommended to backup your current stock rom with efs..:)

Last edited:

mlkabdullah

Oct 28, 2010
well ,im on stock samsung firmware N920C, due to tripping knox , deep sleep doesn't work anymore.
so i checked dr.katan method and i saw that deepsleep is fixed after supersu 2.67.

so i have non rooted stock, i flashed twrp woth odin , then flashed supersu 2.79 zip in twrp.

i started to moniter the deepsleep with cpu spy app.
but the problem is that deepsleep doesn't work always, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and i don't know why , so can you help with this?

another thing : there is kinda a bug after i rooted with the music , the sound keep giving me Disruption , what the solution for this?

Same with me

Sent from my Samsung SM-N920C using XDA Labs

snowblack100

Mar 21, 2017
dr ketan please fix deep sleep in android n...please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please:(:(:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

snowblack100

Mar 21, 2017
What kind of deepsleep issue there?
If you are saying about deepsleep issue on stock ROM that happen on Tripped knox device then solution is Root device
Other than this I don't have any report that causing deepsleep issue.

I've rooted my android version 6 .them I had DEEP SLEEP issue in my phone . I upgraded my android to version 7 but yet I have the same problem. . I've root my note 5 and installed" FIX DEEP SLEEP.APK" but I still have the same problem .Also in my phone "android os and Screen " usage are the same in recent battery usage

Last edited:

bahmani.habib

Mar 29, 2017
Two are major
1.Warranty will be lost
2.Can't think of unroot. (You can unroot but device never go to deep sleep unless you keep it rooted)
I am using my n920i phone with a very expensive licensed Telecom APK. To make this APK work, need to flash a recovery file that provided by the APK provider first then making the licensed forward work.
I decided to root my phone to use some benefit of useful apks like greenify, but after rooting my phone, this software stopped working!! I flashed the mentioned recovery file and my application went back to normal again, but now I lost rooting and have battery drain issue because of lost deep sleep!!
Then my software has problem to work when rooted and u rooting will cause deep sleep problem!!!
Need your kindly support how to make my application work without root and deep sleep problem?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

gcndubuisi

May 4, 2017
[GUIDE] How to Root Note 5 I EFS Backup I Xposed I Deep sleep Fix I Updated

Shalom Dr. Ketan, Your post here address the problem I have with my galaxy note 5 SM-N920I. I rooted it, then I started getting too many popups of Samsung Pay, which when I open it, I get notification that access is denied. I called Samsung and I was told that I made illegal alteration to my device, which triggered the knox to become void. I decided to unroot and cleared the cache to see if Samsung Pay would stop popping up. It did not stop popping up, but in addition I started getting excessive battery drain.
Of the rooting methods you outlined, which should I use to reroot my SM-N920I and also fix the deep sleep issue connected with the battery drain. I will be happy to buy your deep sleep fix software if it will solve the problem. I read your EFS Backup, but didn't quite get how I can backup my device before rerooting. I would like to wipe the system.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Blessings!
gcndubuisi

SleemLDJ

Nov 11, 2011
London
Can someone please confirm if Samsung fixed the deep sleep issue if one flashes stock 7.0 firmware?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Reactions: nyrol5

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Shalom Dr. Ketan, Your post here address the problem I have with my galaxy note 5 SM-N920I. I rooted it, then I started getting too many popups of Samsung Pay, which when I open it, I get notification that access is denied. I called Samsung and I was told that I made illegal alteration to my device, which triggered the knox to become void. I decided to unroot and cleared the cache to see if Samsung Pay would stop popping up. It did not stop popping up, but in addition I started getting excessive battery drain.
Of the rooting methods you outlined, which should I use to reroot my SM-N920I and also fix the deep sleep issue connected with the battery drain. I will be happy to buy your deep sleep fix software if it will solve the problem. I read your EFS Backup, but didn't quite get how I can backup my device before rerooting. I would like to wipe the system.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Blessings!
gcndubuisi
No need to buy anything to root/deep sleep fix. Indeed there is no such paid app from me.
Simply follow guide posted on first page that's it. Root itself will address deepsleep issue (battery drain). You can't use Samsung pay once you root device. First root device - make efs backup - once successfully done, first copy it to safer place then wipe system/make any changes you need.

gcndubuisi

May 4, 2017
No need to buy anything to root/deep sleep fix. Indeed there is no such paid app from me.
Simply follow guide posted on first page that's it. Root itself will address deepsleep issue (battery drain). You can't use Samsung pay once you root device. First root device - make efs backup - once successfully done, first copy it to safer place then wipe system/make any changes you need.

Thank you so much Dr.Ketan for your response. I know you are very busy, please pardon me to bother you with more questions of interest. I see that you have the same type of samsung note that I have: SM-N920I, I want to benefit from your knowledge of the device. After efs backup and wiping the system, should I flash SuperSU again or just install the backup? From your knowledge of the device, what kind of changes can I make after wiping the system that can significantly improve the performance of the phone on every level of its operation?
Thank you so much for your answer.
Godfrey

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thank you so much Dr.Ketan for your response. I know you are very busy, please pardon me to bother you with more questions of interest. I see that you have the same type of samsung note that I have: SM-N920I, I want to benefit from your knowledge of the device. After efs backup and wiping the system, should I flash SuperSU again or just install the backup? From your knowledge of the device, what kind of changes can I make after wiping the system that can significantly improve the performance of the phone on every level of its operation?
Thank you so much for your answer.
Godfrey
I don't remember ever I wipe system. And wiping system doesn't wipe efs
My flashing policy for rom
1.Wipe data only (no media wipe) and that simple factory reset
2.In case required to make more clean (to wipe Int storage) then to flash stock recovery and factory reset with stock recovery
That's it
Never needed anything more than this

gcndubuisi

May 4, 2017
I don't remember ever I wipe system. And wiping system doesn't wipe efs
My flashing policy for rom
1.Wipe data only (no media wipe) and that simple factory reset
2.In case required to make more clean (to wipe Int storage) then to flash stock recovery and factory reset with stock recovery
That's it
Never needed anything more than this

Thank you so much, Dr.Ketan

benn182

Jan 5, 2014
solo
please i need root n920c 5.1.1
rom combination
flash twrp or philz touch done but not recovery ( recovery image signature check fail reboot to avoid warranty bit still )
i need root because z3x unlock sim need supersu
in android 7 z3x not suport unlock sim

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

FOR TEMPORARILY USE THIS METHOD TO ROOT NOTE 5 running on NOUGAT

PS : Running version of SuperSU will not work, once It will be updated use below said method

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For Marshmallow and lower use below method-------------------------

I have seen many users still have no proper information about rooting SM-N920* (Galaxy Note 5)

Here Steps to root your Note 5. Since there are major changes in policy to root device here I am updating this guide in favor of newbies to make it simple as possible.

Before you proceed to root, you should know some facts like we need to have custom kernel as of now to root device (This is no more compulsory as Systemless root like Supersu 2.60+ can root device on stock kernel. Read below.). Also we have bootloader protection to flash anything but that can be unlock (read below). Also to note that rooting your device warranty voids (permanently) apart from warranty if you want to unroot device after rooting it once, you may have deep sleep bug. Read Deep Sleep issue on stock non rooted ROM at end of this post.

Need to know before rooting Note 5.

Here I am making two parts for two different method to root your Note5. Before proceeding you have to device which way you want to root as mixing both method may mess up your system and ultimately you may need to reflash stock ROM.
    Before starting step just to explain what is difference between both the methods of root.

Method 1: Systemless root.
    Systemless root is recently provided by @Chainfire for our device.
    Major advantage is you can simply flash same zip (superSu 2.60 and up) to any Note5 variant without any dependencies on kernel for your device.
    As Systemless root is still beta and may be we will get stable version very soon but most of root stuff working fine as it should with beta version too. Edit : It seems Systemless root is almost stable now.
    Systemless root can be achieved by two methods
    1A. - Flashing SuperSU from custom recovery.This is two step procedure. First flash custom recovery and second Flash SuperSu zip Advantage of this method over 1B (below) is you will have custom recovery and helpful to make nandroid backup OR flashing other recoveries.
    1B - Flashing with Odin - Flashing root package with Odin. Single step root. Easiest method.

Method 2 : Using prerooted kernel. With prerooted kernel you can root your device in single step even without having custom recovery. This is true in case of your kernel is having prerooted script and available in tar version. I will provide example below in guide which kernel have this.
    There is no any issue using this method but you must have to find correct kernel for your device.

How to root Note 5

Method 1 (systemless root) Again there are two method for Systemless root and you can go with either of it.

Method 1A - Systemless root by flashing SuperSU zip

You will require custom recovery to use this method. Here are steps for how to install custom recovery as well how to root.
    1.Unlock Flashing
    Go to settings-about device-Software info - You will see "build number" - Tap repeatedly on build number to unlock development option
    Now you will see Development option in setting (just above about device)
    Open Development option - OEM Unlock - Enable it.

2.get custom Recovery.
    Download TWRP by @bigbiff according your variant. Here select tar version of file NOT zip
    OR
    Philz CWM. Philz recovery is ported for Note 5 by @arter97 and you can download from his web page. - Here look to latest build and select your device model. for example your variant is N920I you have to open n920ci (this indicate n920c and n920i) and download Philz recovery with file name ending tar.md5 (not zip)

3A.Flash custom recovery.
    Use Odin V3_10.7 to flash downloaded recovery
    Switch off device
    Reboot to download mode (Vol down+power+home)
    Select downloaded above said custom recovery with AP tab of Odin and flash.

when TWRP prompts asking to "keep read only" or to "allow modifications", select the option to "Keep Read-Only." (Phil's CWM doesn't give the option to keep it read-only.) As well, _if_ TWRP/Philz offers to install root - DO NOT LET IT (as it's not compatible with systemless root.)

Reboot to recovery and now you should have custom recovery.
    In case still you have stock recovery then follow this
    Again reboot to download mode
    Select recovery file with AP tab of Odin
    Now uncheck Auto reboot option
    Flash selected file
    Once flashing complete, disconnect device and long press Vol down+Power
    Once screen turns off, immediately press vol up+power+home to reboot to recovery manually.

3B : This step is only for those who want to use Android Pay otherwise you can jump to Step 4 directly.

A completely stock system with the systemless root installed will NOT, by default, work with Android Pay. To make it work with android pay, the following command should be run from a shell prompt on the device (while the device is in TWRP, but before installing superSU.) This is easier to do via 'adb shell', but could, I guess, be done from within TWRP itself (advanced->terminal command)

Code:
    echo BINDSYSTEMXBIN=false>>/data/.supersu

4.Root with Systemless root.
    Once you have custom recovery on your device then simply download Systemless superSu zip and flash from recovery that's it.
    Here is link for Systemless root Big Thanks to @Chainfire
    You have to download latest version of it.

Once it is done, you will see SuperSU app on your drawer and your device is rooted now.

Method 1B - Systemless root by Odin (CF Auto Root)
    This is easiest way to root Note 5
    Download required files from CF Auto root download page. Simple search your device ID e.g. N920I. If you see your device model is listed then you can see download option beside of your device ID in table.

Download according your device ID and extract it. You will get Odin and one *.tar.md file.

Before starting unlock bootloader
    1.Go to settings-about device-Software info - You will see "build number" - Tap repeatedly on build number to unlock development option
    Now you will see Development option in setting (just above about device)
    Open Development option - OEM Unlock - Enable it.
    2.Reboot device to download mode (switch off device then Vol down+power+home)
    3.Open Odin on PC
    4.Select that *tar.md5 file for AP (PDA) tab of odin
    5.Connect device to PC and wait till color change for com port (successfully connected device) and select 'Start' to flash
    Once flash finish, disconnect device and reboot. You will have rooted device now.

Method 2: Flashing Prerooted Custom kernel.

Basically you can install any prerooted kernel with odin or with custom recovery but here i will show a example which can be done in single step

1.Download prerooted odin flashable (in .tar.md5 format)
    Example : Get Skyhigh kernel by @UpInTheAir
    here is Original thread by him

Look to post #2 of that thread and under Download section you will find many version of kernel. You have to download one which is for your variant as well available as odin flashable.
    As of today available versions are
    [Odin3 v3.10.6] SM-N920-C / CD / G / I [ v3.4 ] - which same for following devices like N920C N920G N920I N920CD
    [Odin3 v3.10.6] SM-N9200 [ v3.4 ] - For N9200
    [Odin3 v3.10.6] SM-N9208_SEA [ v3.4 ] - For N9208

2.Flash Downloaded file with Odin
    Use Odin V3_10.7 to flash downloaded kernel
    Switch off device
    Reboot to download mode (Vol down+power+home)
    Select downloaded kernel file with AP tab of Odin and flash.
    Device will auto reboot and you can see kernel info in Setting-Device info. Also on successfull flashing you will see SuperSU app on your drawer.

If you don't find any version available for your variant, you can simply make request to OP on kernel thread OR Use Systemless root meanwhile.

PS : As said above you can use any custom kernel by any developer but keep in mind that if kernel is not Odin flashable then you need to flash custom recovery first and if not prerooted then flash Supersu recommended by kernel developer. I have make example is based on just easiest way to flash i found.

IMPORTANT

Here is end of how to root note 5. Read below some miscellaneous discussion.

- There may be issue with DRM protected videos (like Netflix). You can fix with this.

- Now DON'T FORGET TO MAKE EFS (IMEI) BACKUP

- Xposed on Note 5

Deep sleep issue. - THIS IS FIXED AFTER SuperSu 2.67

If your device doesn't go to deep sleep after root. commonly reported after rooting with stock kernel (systemless root)

How to know deep sleep issue : Main symptom of deep sleep bug is fast draining battery. You can confirm if your device has this issue or not by using batterbattery stat or any similar app.
    After installing BBS keep device idle for sometime and see other profile and check your device record deep sleep? If you don't have deep sleep recorded then you need fix. Here is screenshot of deepsleep record.

Deep Sleep Issue on stock non rooted device
    :

This is classically happens when you root device/flash custom kernel/recovery/ROM and later revert to stock ROM. Now even you have non rooted device with pure stock ROM, your device won't enter to deep sleep. Basically this is not a bug but poor policy and samsung don't care to address this issue as if you use device as per samsung suggests (without tripping knox) there will be no issue. Again solution is root your device and apply deep sleep fix / any kernel/ROM which have bio;t in deep sleep fix.

How to Fix :

You can try this to fix Deep sleep issue.

Big Thanks and credit goes to @Chainfire
    Thanks and credit to @garyd9 for all the helps to users and providing lots good information.

Deep Sleep Fix

Here attached probable fix for deep sleep issue (having with stock kernel)

Installation :
    - Download attached DeepSleep Fix 1.0.apk as regular apk
    - Open it - Grant SU
    - It won't have any UI but after around 35sec you will see toast message regarding fix applied.
    - You need to keep application installed as it requires to fix after every boot. You need to just open app once only after installation. After that it will auto fix after each reboot.

Report me back.
    i am sorry your highness.Because i am stupid i could not understand my issue clearly. I did rely on your tech knowledge about android devices hence bothered you. And i my self terribly sorry for stealing your precious time. accept my apologies ,shame on my humble essence.
    The "confusion" is apparently that your ability to search is impaired.
    @dr.ketan has spent a considerable amount of time documenting this stuff, updating it, and answering questions - and then I guess you just figure that you're too good to bother to read his posts and just DEMAND answers just for you? Do you remember when you first joined XDA that you had to read (or watch) something explaining that you should spend the time to SEARCH for answers?

Because i am stupid i could not understand my issue clearly.
    Any stupidity is that your sarcasm is directed against someone who has helped MANY people, and that actually has considerably more patience than many others here (myself included.) When you alienate the people with patience to help you, NO ONE will help you.

My only hope is that you either learn how to SEARCH before you post nastiness, or that you just go away.
    I completely disagree with people who says that rooting a device is good thing. There are lots of disadvantages you will face after rooting the device. I personally suggest, do a brief study before rooting any device.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion. In fact, I COMPLETELY agree that people should spend the time to research and completely understand BEFORE rooting (or modifying the firmware/kernel/etc of the device in any way.) Entirely too many people just blindly "root" and have no idea WHY they are doing it, the ramifications of doing it, etc. Then they pop on these forums and expect someone else to spoon feed solutions to them.

On the other hand, as long as manufacturers continue to overly bloat their devices and insist on taking choices AWAY from their customers, people will continue to root the devices for the purpose of removing that bloat and to allow choices to be made.

Some examples:

1. I don't like some of the BLOAT that samsung puts on my device. Samsung only allows SOME of it to be disabled. In order to disable the rest, I need to root. (Usually, I don't care about deleting the bloat - it's not as-if the freed space is usable.) (I define "bloat" as anything I don't want on the phone. It's bloat to me.)

2. Samsung likes to set up certain things via CSC files. They take guesses on what a customer in a region might want, and then FORCE those choices down the throats of everyone. Well, I disagree with those choices. If the code allows flexibility, give that flexibility to ME. I paid a significant amount of money for the phone and I want my choices. To modify the CSC files, I need root.

3. Samsung's kernel development is... somewhat below average. They persistently leave in kernel bugs and never fix them - even after they've been informed, fixes are posted to the public, the main linux repo is updated with the fix, and even google has updated their kernel images to include the fix. (Example: the bug that tries to flush caches to a read-only device - which fails and prevents the phone from going into deep sleep.) In order to change the kernel (on the Note5), I have to root first.

So, there's still a very good reason to root for many people. Granted, today's phones are easier to live with when NOT rooting, but they still aren't good enough.