• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 8 Pro without TWRP

Search This thread

Lastwurdz

Jun 5, 2015
Wondering if anyone can help me out. i'm trying to root my oneplus 8 pro OS 10.5.12. i have tried multiple methods over the last several days to root but i keep end up in a boot loop. is there a recent tutorial for my specific version? i am very familiar with unlocking and rooting phones. im coming from a oneplus 6 which was much more simple and the tutorials were basically all the same. with the 8 pro i feel like there are so many tutorials and i havent had any luck with any of them.

several times i also ended up with a crash dump screen

JW09I4

Jan 5, 2016
Even when I tried to flash TWRP it didn't work. The method was different than the 6 but I followed it closely and it still wouldn't take. It's so frustrating. I must have had to unbrick it 5 times by now
Don't flash TWRP, boot it: fastboot boot twrp.img, select Install, and choose the Margisk zip
  • FYI: unless something's changed in the last two months or so, this will not work on OOS 11, so double check your version (IIRC it has to with Recovery, since [as of ~2mo ago] 3rd party recoveries didn't work and you can't sideload in OOS Recovery

Last edited:

Lastwurdz

Jun 5, 2015
Don't flash TWRP, boot it: fastboot boot twrp.img, select Install, and choose the Margisk zip
  • FYI: unless something's changed in the last two months or so, this will not work on OOS 11, so double check your version (IIRC it has to with Recovery, since [as of ~2mo ago] 3rd party recoveries didn't work and you can't sideload in OOS Recovery
When I use the fast boot command to boot TWRP it gives me the crash dump screen...... I tried TWRP 3.3.1 maurofronto

JW09I4

Jan 5, 2016
When I use the fast boot command to boot TWRP it gives me the crash dump screen...... I tried TWRP 3.3.1 maurofronto
Verify you're on OOS 10 and if so, you may need to either restore the factory recovery or restore the factory firmware (try doing so first via settings, else use the tool in the link), as the only thing that needs to be done is to bootloader unlock, boot TWRP or a recovery that allows sideloading, then install the Magisk zip - nothing else is required to root.

Last edited:

Lastwurdz

Jun 5, 2015
Verify you're on OOS 10 and if so, you may need to either restore the factory recovery or restore the factory firmware (try doing so first via settings, else use the tool in the link), as the only thing that needs to be done is to bootloader unlock, boot TWRP or a recovery that allows sideloading, then install the Magisk zip - nothing else is required to root.
so i used the msm tool to restore it back to the original OS and used one of provided patched boot images to root with magisk and that seemed to work. now i just want to know if i'll keep root after i update it and follow the instructions. we'll see. on my 6 it was pretty easy to install to an inactive slot.

Umbardacil

Feb 1, 2012
Knurów
Hello Gents

Just bought this great device (coming from OP 6)! I'm in love with it, but I miss a lot of things after porting, because I had a lot for example profiles on Tasker using root, or Viper4Android for example... My Q is: is there reliable way to root this awesome phone, when I'm on 11.0.4.4.IN11BA? Phone model is IN2020 if that matters...

Or maybe there's way to get Viper4Android working without root?

I'll grateful for any answer ;)

Cheers!

FreshlyBaked 420

Nov 10, 2014
Kamloops
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello Gents

Just bought this great device (coming from OP 6)! I'm in love with it, but I miss a lot of things after porting, because I had a lot for example profiles on Tasker using root, or Viper4Android for example... My Q is: is there reliable way to root this awesome phone, when I'm on 11.0.4.4.IN11BA? Phone model is IN2020 if that matters...

Or maybe there's way to get Viper4Android working without root?

I'll grateful for any answer ;)

Cheers!

There's a way to root the OP8/8P on OS11. Here's a link to a guide. Give it a read. It's a pretty simple process. And if you have any issues the guy that wrote the guide is online pretty often and always up to help someone out. Now keep in mind it's just a guide, I'm not sure what versions or variant of firmware are linked so you may have to download some stuff but the guide in general works. Good luck!

Umbardacil

Feb 1, 2012
Knurów
There's a way to root the OP8/8P on OS11. Here's a link to a guide. Give it a read. It's a pretty simple process. And if you have any issues the guy that wrote the guide is online pretty often and always up to help someone out. Now keep in mind it's just a guide, I'm not sure what versions or variant of firmware are linked so you may have to download some stuff but the guide in general works. Good luck!

tyvm buddy! Much appreciated

Reactions: FreshlyBaked 420

mordantly

Apr 16, 2016
In case you update like me and forgot to install magisk to the inactive slot before rebooting...

Turn off phone
Hold vol down and vol up then hold power
Plug in usb to pc
Run fastboot devices (should list the phone)
Fastboot --set-active=other

Reboot to original rooted slot and then install magisk. Auto Reboot. Easy peasy.

Jonas2802

Aug 17, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
I downloaded the 11.0.8.8 file and "made" my own patched boot.img with masgisk, using the guide. But when flashing it with fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img" (or similiar to that). My phone got stuck in a bootloop.

Went back to stock with MSM Tool and did the same again, getting the same result (I did it 3 times but it always ended in a bootloop on 11.0.8.8) :(

Do i have to do the "patch both slots" method or what am I doing wrong?

I#m just wondering because I did it with the "normal" method using fastboot flash patched_boot.img on 11.0.7.7 an i booted successfully, without doing the both slot thing.

Hope you guys know my problem :D

Thanks for answering in advance:D

Reactions: Trinytix

JW09I4

Jan 5, 2016
I downloaded the 11.0.8.8 file and "made" my own patched boot.img with masgisk, using the guide. But when flashing it with fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img" (or similiar to that). My phone got stuck in a bootloop.

Went back to stock with MSM Tool and did the same again, getting the same result (I did it 3 times but it always ended in a bootloop on 11.0.8.8) :(

Do i have to do the "patch both slots" method or what am I doing wrong?

I#m just wondering because I did it with the "normal" method using fastboot flash patched_boot.img on 11.0.7.7 an i booted successfully, without doing the both slot thing.

Hope you guys know my problem :D

Thanks for answering in advance:D
Often that means the wrong boot image version was flashed - you're 100% positive the boot.img from 11.0.8.8 is the one patched and flashed, as OnePlus hasn't released the 11.0.8.8 OTA file AFAIK?
  • General FYI: it's recommended to always try booting from a modified boot.img before flashing:
    Code:
    fastboot boot boot.img

Reactions: galaxys

mordantly

Apr 16, 2016
If you forgot to root prior to booting into the upgrade slot, fastboot and set the other active to root then switch the active slot back to the upgrade.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So today with some testers i managed to make root on OnePlus 8 Pro, I want to specify that 95% of the work was done by @topjohnwu (Magisk creator).

I will explain 2 different guides:

First Root Guide:

This guide is for a specific rom version, so you will need to use a specific patched boot.img

- Download the patched_boot.img
    - Reboot your device in bootloader-fastboot mode
    - Flash the patched_boot.img in the boot partition:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    replace "boot.img" with the patched_boot.img path

- Reboot the device
    - Install Magisk Manager

Second Root Guide:

This guide is more generic than the first one, you should use this one if you are unable to find a specific patched boot.img

- Download a patched_boot.img (you should try with the latest one)
    - Reboot your device in bootloader-fastboot mode
    - Boot the patched_boot.img:
    Code:
    fastboot boot boot.img
    replace "boot.img" with the patched_boot.img path

- Reboot the device
    - Install Magisk Manager
    - Click on Install, then direct install and wait the end of the process
    - Reboot the device

TIPS:

You can get the stock boot images from the fastboot rom: Fastboot ROMs

HOW TO UPDATE a ROM and KEEP ROOT:
    Before all Disable all magisk modules
    Be sure to use the latest stable Magisk
    You can update a stock rom from phone settings with local upgrade:
    - Update the Rom WITHOUT REBOOT;
    - Open Magisk Manager;
    - In Magisk Manager, click on Install/Install/Direct Install;
    - Again in Magisk Manager, click on Install/Install/Inactive Slot;
    - Reboot.

Download:

Patched/Stock Boot Images:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=308380
    or
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/fastbootroms/files/OnePlus 8 Pro/Patched-Stock-Boot/

Reccomended ADB and Fastboot binaries:

Adb and Fastboot Installer

Donations:

Credits:
    I want to specify somethings:
    Codename:
    OnePlus 8: instantnoodle
    OnePlus 8 Pro: instantnoodlep

OnePlus 8 Pro 10.5.4BA (Europe) stock rom link: https://otafsg1.h2os.com/patch/amaz...ygen_15.E.13_OTA_013_all_2004111446_df409.zip
    How can I do if I'm already in 10.5.5 without root? Is there any way to downgrade to 10.5.4 and then upgrade again to keep root?

Wait 10 minutes and the new patched boot.img will be up
    Do you know if it passes SafteyNet with Magisk Hide enabled? Assuming not since Google now uses hardware signatures vs spoofable software ones.

Sure does

1587143269-499654.png
    Could someone please pull either their 10.5.6 boot image or the 10.5.6 magisk patched boot image? I accidentally fastboot flash booted the 10.5.5 boot image and now I have no wifi, etc and I don’t have windows for MSM :(
    I have "pulled" 10.5.6 IN11BA both stock & patched, if you wish...

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

There aren't 10.5.6 .img yet? :(
    I have I have 10.5.6 IN11BA both stock & patched, if you wish...

Source:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8-pro-oxygenos-stable-dirt-detection-front-camera/
    Edit: added the images:
    Here is the magisk patched 10.5.6 image
    Here is the 10.5.6 stock image