[GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 8 without TWRP

Astur_Torque

Aug 21, 2014
Gijón

exemG

Sep 7, 2020
Is there a way to pass SafetyNet (ctsProfile to be exact)? Or is it just my phone that is failing this check? Or, do I need to relock the bootloader to do that? Cheers.

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
I had the September update and I probably haven't dive it right in the magisk manager apps to keep the root.
I'm now stock in a boot loop... How can I get my device back on without whipping my data?

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
I had the September update and I probably haven't dive it right in the magisk manager apps to keep the root.
I'm now stock in a boot loop... How can I get my device back on without whipping my data?
Nevermind, I've been able to boot with the second slot.
However,I can't find out how to patch this boot slot... Maybe I need to extract the working one and apply it to the second using fastboot?

exemG

Sep 7, 2020
you can use the magiskhide cts module to fix it.
check steps here if you need help
Thanks. Yet I approached a problem when attempting to install this module:
- Copying zip to temp directory
- Installing MagiskHide_Props_Config-v5.3.2-v99(63).zip
Please install Magisk v20.0+!
! Installation failed
While my magisk version is 20.4

It's Magisk Canary version as in the rooting guide. Should I go for the standard one?
I know this probably is more of a magisk-related problem but I'm leaving it here because maybe there's someone who have had similiar issue.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just changed Update Channel to Canary (Debug), updated Magisk and it I'm able to install modules again.

Last edited:

Matteo

Oct 25, 2018
Thanks. Yet I approached a problem when attempting to install this module:

While my magisk version is 20.4

It's Magisk Canary version as in the rooting guide. Should I go for the standard one?
I know this probably is more of a magisk-related problem but I'm leaving it here because maybe there's someone who have had similiar issue.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just changed Update Channel to Canary (Debug), updated Magisk and it I'm able to install modules again.
nice dude, enjoy cts true now

Vim_Cola

Jul 26, 2020
How to change System to read write

Okay total noob when it comes to rooting and tinkering with phones but I am rooted and I am trying to change the system to read write so that I can change my boot loading animation but it fails everytime I run the command. It is stuck in read only. Why is this the case?

alejouru

Nov 23, 2017
Hey, tried installing pyhton, using payload dumper but was unable to extract and patch the boot.img of Android Open Beta 2.
Can someone that has IN2013 (EU version) and has patched the boot.img for OB2 upload it and share a link?.
Would be much appreciated!.

h0ax_ki1l3r

May 17, 2019
Clarifications about OnePlus 8 UW for Verizon

Yes. Sell your VZW OP 8 on Swappa, then use the money from the sale to buy an unlocked OP 8 directly from OnePlus. :p
Is there a root method in the works for the Verizon OnePlus 8 IN2019?
Hey guys. Just got my OnePlus today from Verizon and in Developer option I don't have OEM UNLOCK button.

Besides sending this phone back and going back to my battery hog of a note 4..... What are my options?

Thank you!
Can anyone help confirm a couple of things?

- Based on the replies I see above, if I want to root the phone, I should buy OnePlus 8 directly from OnePlus. If we buy OnePlus 8 directly from OnePlus, will it be compatible with Verizon's UW 5G? I highly doubt because when I click Carrier Compatibility on OP website, it only lists T-Mobile. This means the one Verizon sells might be some kind of exclusive OP8 model. Please confirm this.

- There are many links online non-XDA websites that claim OnePlus 8 UW is rootable? Are they trustworthy? (Sorry unable to post the links due to member limitations, but Googleing "OnePlus 8 UW root" has 2 results). But I couldn't find any confirmation about any Verizon customer being able to root this phone on XDA.

I have been struggling to find a phone (in fact any phone) compatible with Verizon's UW 5G and rootable.. haha

Last edited:

NUNsLAUGHTER92

Dec 26, 2010
I found it here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8/how-to/oneplus-8-repo-oxygen-os-builds-t4084233

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

So.. we are using this instead doing it on a recovery because..?
That is exactly what I'm wondering. I'm also wondering why I see people asking for the boot images for their phones but I don't see a guide on how to get it yourself. It's extremely easy to do, maybe that's why there isn't one.
But being new to needing to flash a patched boot image, I had no idea you could just backup your own with twrp. No need to wait for someone to upload a patched version when it takes like 2 minutes to backup, patch and flash your own.

Last edited: