• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to root OnePlus Nord

Search This thread

Erick FVE

Oct 16, 2015
I have the same doubts

Hi, I'm experiencing two issues post-root. One is obvious, the other I'm unable to work out the cause, so just checking to see if others have it.

(1) Netflix. No longer works after oem unlock. I've since uninstalled via Titanium/disabled all the services/apps. I run a separate apk which works fine, but isn't HDR-enabled like the native app. Is there a way to get that one back and working? Does Magisk Hide manage to get it working okay?

(2) I've lost split-screen functionality. I can trigger it (using navbar and button shortcuts), and the mode indicates it's active, but no apps at all (not just incompatible ones) will open in split screen. Anyone else have the issue? Could be related to some app I've got, but I'm scratching my head trying to work out which.

I want to know this too, please if someone have information aboit this, I'll be glad :(

niielsh

Apr 16, 2009
OnePlus Nord
How to update rooted device

Rooting my phone using this guide was really easy, thanks for that!

Now I want to do a system update on this rooted nord device. Can I just press install? I don't want to loose root access..

Piplos

Aug 2, 2010
Bari
VirusTotal flagged payload dumper as a trojan. No way I'll use that to extract the boot.img, I'd rather stay un-rooted.

irfanalam1234

Oct 29, 2014
OnePlus Nord
I did these steps to root my Indian OP Nord.
1. Unlocked bootloader using "fastboot oem unlock"
2. Then put the Magisk zip to phone's internal storage
3. Booted TWRP using CMD and flashed Magisk zip
4. After reboot, installed modules which are necessary to me like Axet Call recorder and Product Sans font.

For reference, you can follow this guide
Unlock Bootloader - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tboLAvNd0BQ&t=89s
Root process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfjXaZVCiQ&t=4s

ilRoss

Oct 31, 2020
Piacenza
Maybe you might be interested in the already patched boot image of EU version 10.5.8.AC01BA, don't you?
I've just rooted my Nord in that version and I have the file ready for use, but can't either attach file in conversation 'cause I'm new here

(sorry for my bad English)

abhishekcal

Jan 11, 2012
I did these steps to root my Indian OP Nord.
1. Unlocked bootloader using "fastboot oem unlock"
2. Then put the Magisk zip to phone's internal storage
3. Booted TWRP using CMD and flashed Magisk zip
4. After reboot, installed modules which are necessary to me like Axet Call recorder and Product Sans font.

For reference, you can follow this guide
Unlock Bootloader - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tboLAvNd0BQ&t=89s
Root process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfjXaZVCiQ&t=4s

^This

This should be the method for rooting as it has always been. The OP method is far too longer and too many manual steps.
You can almost root anyone phone by first unlocking boot loader and then flashing magisk from TWRP.

ilRoss

Oct 31, 2020
Piacenza
In the next days I'll flash the 10.5.9.AC01BA, if someone is interested in the boot file ask in pm, I can't post link either

tamils57

Oct 26, 2020
could not root

currently on 10.5.9 (india)
I used some_random_username's OTA file to extract boot img using payload dumper in windows.
I did everything as the OP. BL unlocked, magisk manager 8.x.x installed, boot image patched, pulled through adb, then flashed (without a/b mentioning), rebooted just fine.
But after reboot it didn't root. Magisk manager shows the starting screen as magisk card and magisk manager card, not root status. Need to extract the persist img.
I dont know where i messed.

Edit: After this I tried to just boot the patched image using "fastboot boot patched.img". Then went to magisk and istall->direct install and reboot. It didnt work either. Don't want to try TWRP, because some senior member has reported that it alters the /persist, which I want to presereve, and the point of rooting is just that. I would flash LOS or crDroid after taking persist backup.

Can someone guide me what i should do?

Last edited:

3stGemein

Nov 27, 2020
After i tried to install the Oneplus Driver in every way possible, i get the error, that windows cant install the driver... adb can see the device in usb debug mode, but the fastboot cant find my device in the fastboot mode.
I entered the fastboot mode with my cmd "adb reboot bootloader" i need help pls
btw EU newest version of OxygenOS (10.5.9)

ulipo

Dec 31, 2012
ulisse.wordpress.com
Two words just to let you know that I successfully rooted my Nord with the new Android11 Open Beta 1 (NordOxygen_14.X.01_OTA_0010_all_2012282129_c6dad2ecd7e54cb3.zip), you just need to select the beta channel in Magisk settings and it will work like a charm!

Reactions: PhilippeSX4

Bloodyx3

Sep 6, 2013
Two words just to let you know that I successfully rooted my Nord with the new Android11 Open Beta 1 (NordOxygen_14.X.01_OTA_0010_all_2012282129_c6dad2ecd7e54cb3.zip), you just need to select the beta channel in Magisk settings and it will work like a charm!
Hey :)

Did you already have a Magisk installed on Android 10 & updated to Android 11 afterwards or did you only install Magisk when you installed Android 11?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Devices that started to be received today have Oxygen OS 10.5 out of the box.
    No flashable zip for that software release is publicly available, meaning its stock boot.img cannot be extracted.

You then need to update to a newer build first. You can do so from my OxygenOS builds repo thread.

Once done, enable developers options and enable OEM unlock.
    Reboot to fastboot (enable USB debugging in dev options and use adb reboot bootloader)
    Type fastboot oem unlock and accept to unlock bootloader (warning: as a safety measure Android will wipe your userdata)
    Go through OxygenOS setup
    Install Magisk Manager from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v7.5.1/MagiskManager-v7.5.1.apk
    Move stock boot.img to your phone internal storage (please open spoiler)

For your convenience, 10.5.2 stock boot.img for EU and India have been extracted
    EU download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18aPqErEMbRqmN4BpdvHE4OKgizDcEbou/view?usp=sharing
    India download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIEYWH2PYkKyojq_S_i_onBstejHKDTJ/view?usp=sharing

For future builds, you can use payload dumper (Windows) , (Linux ) to extract stock boot.img

Click on Install
    Choose "Select and patch a file"
    Select your stock boot.img
    Wait until Magisk patches your boot.img, and once patched it can be found in the Downloads folder
    Copy that patched boot.img (which should be named magisk_patched.img) to your computer
    Boot into fastboot again
    Type fastboot getvar current-slot into your terminal window and press Enter.
    If the output is a , type fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.
    If the output is b , type fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.
    Reboot to OxygenOS

Open Magisk Manager and your device should now be rooted.

TIPS:
    - Ensure you got latest platform tools installed from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    - Backup your /persist once rooted (dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img) and save it somewhere on your cloud/computer, this might save you from a broken fingerprint sensor and an RMA in the future if it turns out this device has same issue as 8-series when it comes to crossflash regional builds of OOS.

Credits:
    @topjohnwu for making Magisk
    /u/Jisifus for testing on his device and for screenshots
    Rooting worked and I have a Nord 10.5.3 rooted and working very well.

Steps:

1. Enable Developers Options and Enable OEM Unlock.
    2. Reboot to fastboot (enable USB debugging in dev options and use adb reboot bootloader)
    3. Type fastboot oem unlock and accept to unlock bootloader (warning: as a safety measure Android will wipe your userdata)
    4. Go through OxygenOS setup
    5. Enable Developers Options
    6. Install Magisk Manager from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/...ger-v7.5.1.apk
    7. Move stock boot.img to your phone internal storage
    8. In Magisk Manager - Click on Install
    9. Choose "Select and patch a file"
    10. Select your stock boot.img
    11. Wait until Magisk patches your boot.img, and once patched it can be found in the Downloads folder
    12. Copy that patched boot.img (which should be named magisk_patched.img) to your computer
    13. Boot into fastboot again
    14. Type fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
    15. If all is fine,
    16. Boot into fastboot again
    17. Type fastboot getvar current-slot into your terminal window and press Enter.
    18. If the output is a , type fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.
    If the output is b , type fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img into your terminal window and press Enter.
    19. Reboot to OxygenOS
    20. Enable Developers Options
    Just want to share my experience. My phone uploaded itself to android 11.1.1.2 so I lost root.
    I just followed op steps to regain root :

1. Bootloader was already unlocked
    2. Downloaded 11.1.1.2 here
    3. Downloaded payload dumper to extract boot.img
    4. Copy boot.img to phone. Patch it with magisk app
    5. It gives me a new patched boot.img
    6. Copy it to pc
    7. Boot phone to fastboot
    8. Type the command fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    9. Reboot phone
    ...and after successful boot.img replacement and your device is rooted.
    At next OTA update, update, but do not reboot. Go to Magisk Manager ("Magisk is up to date"), choose Install and Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA), reboot.
    Doing this for every OTA ensures that you'll stay rooted.
    hello what is the detailed method for updating, I can't find the procedure
    thank you

OnePlus 3 @ Tapatalk

If you are on 10.5.2 and rooted with Magisk:
    - Go to Settings and download 10.5.3 OTA
    - Let it install
    - After it has finished installing, DO NOT REBOOT!!
    - Go to Magisk, select upper Magisk 'Install' (Not Manager), click 'Install' again and then choose 'Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)'
    - After patching, reboot

This way phone kept root after OTA.