• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] How to ROOT OnePlus8T (CN/IN/EU/US) KB2000,KB2001,KB2003,KB2005

Search This thread

rezapatel

Nov 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
OnePlus 8T
I'm on 8T latest OOS 11.0.8.13 and rooted with magisk.

Something I've lately noticed is every time I restart it ends up on a long wait on the initial bootloader unlocked disclaimer and ends up in recovery mode. Removing cache generally reboots back into the OS.

This happens on every restart. Pretty irritating.

Are other rooted users facing the same?

g96818

Dec 27, 2014
I'm on 8T latest OOS 11.0.8.13 and rooted with magisk.

Something I've lately noticed is every time I restart it ends up on a long wait on the initial bootloader unlocked disclaimer and ends up in recovery mode. Removing cache generally reboots back into the OS.

This happens on every restart. Pretty irritating.

Are other rooted users facing the same?
Did you flash or boot the patched file when you rooted?

Atreus

Oct 19, 2007
I just rooted my new device, which did work. However, I am now stuck on widevine L3 and when I simply relock the bootloader, I get the "device untrusted, will not boot" error. How can I relock the bootloader while retaining root and being able to actually boot?

Atreus

Oct 19, 2007
Another thing (@DroidFreak32 ) : You may want to update the guide, because I used the regular stable release of Magisk and it worked without a problem. Maybe there are other people like me that prefer to NOT be on bleeding edge releases like Magisk canary.

Reactions: BillGoss

g96818

Dec 27, 2014
I just rooted my new device, which did work. However, I am now stuck on widevine L3 and when I simply relock the bootloader, I get the "device untrusted, will not boot" error. How can I relock the bootloader while retaining root and being able to actually boot?
you can't lock your bootloader while rooted.

sketch.droid

Dec 11, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
hey guys, I'm in a bit of a weird situation with my OP8T... to be fair, i think a few others may be in this same situation, just maybe unaware of it.

this involves buying OP phones from eBay or similar, where the phone variant does not match the OOS variant.

i bought my OP8T KB2000 china variant, but comes with Global/international ROM

in this situation, which do we pay attention to: The device variant or ROM variant? when rooting and updating via OTA and Magisk?

i am rooted already, and have an OTA update available.
in first post it says Global ROMS are different as they only get partial updates??
when i first rooted, i got Full ROM download option?? ...so i'm a little confused.

maybe i misunderstand something?

thanks.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
hey guys, I'm in a bit of a weird situation with my OP8T... to be fair, i think a few others may be in this same situation, just maybe unaware of it.

this involves buying OP phones from eBay or similar, where the phone variant does not match the OOS variant.

i bought my OP8T KB2000 china variant, but comes with Global/international ROM

in this situation, which do we pay attention to: The device variant or ROM variant? when rooting and updating via OTA and Magisk?

i am rooted already, and have an OTA update available.
in first post it says Global ROMS are different as they only get partial updates??
when i first rooted, i got Full ROM download option?? ...so i'm a little confused.

maybe i misunderstand something?

thanks.
My OP8T is also KB2000 and came with KB05AA software installed and all the updates I've had have also been KB05AA and currently my OnePlus download site (https://www.oneplus.com/au/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1605596915581) is showing a full rom (11.0.8.13.KB05AA).
So I stick to KBO5AA roms and all is good.
I think that part of the confusion is that KB05AA is used both for NA and Global, though I do note that all my updates show "_GLO_" in their version.

Edit: also see comment in Post in thread 'Magisk General Support / Discussion' https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85376421

Last edited:

sketch.droid

Dec 11, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
My OP8T is also KB2000 and came with KB05AA software installed and all the updates I've had have also been KB05AA and currently my OnePlus download site (https://www.oneplus.com/au/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1605596915581) is showing a full rom (11.0.8.13.KB05AA).
So I stick to KBO5AA roms and all is good.
I think that part of the confusion is that KB05AA is used both for NA and Global, though I do note that all my updates show "_GLO_" in their version.

Edit: also see comment in Post in thread 'Magisk General Support / Discussion' https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85376421
Thanks Bill,
This is officially my first Update, since i've had the phone.
during the initial root process i think _GLO_ was in my file name, but I cant be sure.

so according to Osm0sis post, on the 8T we get only incremental updates through system -> update ?
do OP8T owners download the full ROM from OP site, install through system-> update -> manual update, then use Magisk to patch inactive slot?

I came from OP5 and TWRP... the root methods on OP8T are foreign to me. I dont know what active/inactive slots are, and how they work.

from what i read, we use Magisk to keep root on our devices with every OTA update, but this MUST be a full ROM and not incremental.

I also see that OxygenUpdater has option to Doenload, Install, and Patch to keep root, all at once... is this right? is it safe?
personally i uninstalled OxygenUpdater as soon as I finished downloading the full ROM my first time.

What is your OTA Update process?
and do we still need to worry about Lock Screen Passwords on the OP8T when patching?

thanks.

Reactions: ianlunatech

Dopamin3

Dec 7, 2010
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3a XL
I got the OTA accidently and didn't backup any kernels or use magisk @g96818

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210725-083739.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725-083739.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 51

drieg

Aug 23, 2013
Hi guys,
I'm sorry in advance for the noob question.
I've just bought my first OP (OP8T of course), and have unlocked the bootloader as I want to root it.
My current build is Oxygen OS 11.0.0.9.KB05AA, model KB2003
This seems to be the latest available version, does this mean I cannot root until a new version will be released?
Thanks in advance!

Edit: successfully rooted via the thread with the broken recovery method. thanks!

Last edited:

Dopamin3

Dec 7, 2010
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3a XL
I was able to temporarily boot TWRP to backup the kernel from 11.0.9.9. Instead of a boot.img file it gave a boot.emmc.win but I flashed it back with "fastboot flash boot boot.emmc.win" and it worked fine. I also tested the Magisk patch and it booted with working root access. I have North American KB2005.

Stock 11.0.9.9.KB05AA boot.emmc.win (NA): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LS7ZL9ib9PqszQL_KW_BASQox8nOAKJX/view?usp=sharing

Magisk patched 11.0.9.9.KB05AA boot.img (NA): https://drive.google.com/file/d/15OS1wx7u7P6yc9ggDguWtVm-9Y6s8H1d/view?usp=sharing

sketch.droid

Dec 11, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
Non-PC Method

See Warning above.

Step 1: You must unroot first. You don't have to completely remove Magisk, just restore images. Open Magisk, click uninstall magisk, and only click restore images. DO NOT REBOOT!

Step 2: Install OTA update. DO NOT REBOOT!

Step 3: Open Magisk and install to inactive slot. Reboot. Boot up took about 30 seconds.

I think a lot of people like me, buy our OP phones from Ebay, since OP doesnt sell in our country.
myself, i've got KB2000 with the Internationsl ROM.

now it's time to update for the first time, and I want to keep root. from what I read, the steps are:
- download full ROM with system update.
- Install full ROM - Do Not Reboot
- Open Magisk and install to "Inactive Slot"
- Then reboot.

this is close to your steps, but no "un root" step before the update.
In your steps do you doenload and install the Full Rom? or the partial?

on a side note... is there a good tutorial for backing up and restoring system images, without custom recovery?

thanks.

g96818

Dec 27, 2014
I think a lot of people like me, buy our OP phones from Ebay, since OP doesnt sell in our country.
myself, i've got KB2000 with the Internationsl ROM.

now it's time to update for the first time, and I want to keep root. from what I read, the steps are:
- download full ROM with system update.
- Install full ROM - Do Not Reboot
- Open Magisk and install to "Inactive Slot"
- Then reboot.

this is close to your steps, but no "un root" step before the update.
In your steps do you doenload and install the Full Rom? or the partial?

on a side note... is there a good tutorial for backing up and restoring system images, without custom recovery?

thanks.
You can only do that with the full rom. I'm only posting the OTA update process since the full rom won't be out for a few weeks.

I don't know of a way to backup system images without a custom recovery, but you can use titanium backup or swift back up to make and restore backups.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm posting here to detail how I solved an OTA update issue with my OnePlus 8T. For disclosure, I purchased this phone used, like new from someone who themselves got it open-box from a reputable retailer. So I don't know the full history of the phone, only that when I first booted it, it had clearly been factory reset and has been running flawlessly.

After I got the phone, I started looking into options for rooting. I unlocked the bootloader, and then, seeing that there was an OTA update for 11.0.9.9.KB05AA, prepared to try to root. I ultimately downloaded a Magisk-pre-patched boot image, thanks to Xi Jing Pooh (whoever you are), linked in these forum.

So after updated to the 11.0.9.9 OTA, I flashed that image, gained root, and again, didn't have any issues.

However, when the 11.0.10.10.KB05AA rolled out, I ran into problems. The OTA update kept failing with the message "Couldn't update, Installation problem."

I had prepared to update by following instructions on the forum; going into Magisk and restoring the stock boot image (an option when you choose "Uninstall Magisk"). I think it turned out I may flashed the pre-rooted boot image before ever booting into 11.0.9.9, so that might have been a problem. So I then used fastboot to flash the stock 11.0.9.9 boot image. I even did this to both a and b slots (maybe not necessary, I'm not sure).

While I did successfully unroot, my attempts to OTA update still kept failing. I then tried to manually update using a local copy of the OTA zip and got the same error.

After discussing with and getting good advice from @BillGoss and @g96818, I decided I would need to use the MSM tool to fully restore my phone to a previous OOS version and then incrementally update. @BillGoss also pointedly recommended I should do a full, manual update to 11.0 8.13 before letting OTA updates install, to ensure my file system had no inconsistencies.

Before I did this, I decided to try to capture a logcat while once again trying to manually update using my local zip of the 11.0.10.10 OTA. I started the update then immediately issued the logcat command in adb shell. As soon as the OTA install failed, I stopped logcat, then scrolled back to find the source of the error. Turned out that my dsp partition had been modified at some point and its SHA did not match that expected by the update.

@BillGoss pointed out to me later that 1) it's likely that the 11.0.9.9 OTA didn't touch the dsp partition, and that's why I had no problem with that update, and 2) I could have tried to dump the dsp parition from the full OTA for 11.0.8.13 and fix the issue without reverting to using the MSM tool.

But, I went ahead and followed detailed instructions to restore the phone to 11.0.7.9 (the latest MSM tool version). Per Bill's advice, after getting the phone setup again, I ignored prompts to download the OTA for 11.0.10.10 and manually ran the full OTA for 11.0.8.13. Finally, I OTA upgraded to 11.0.10.10, this time with no issues at all.

I forgot to unlock my bootloader during this process, so ended up doing that and setting up the phone twice. Then I rooted again, this time using the alpha TWRP that can be found here and installing the Magisk zip, which itself patches and installs the rooted boot image. This seems to have worked fine, and I've tested that I can also easily restore the stock boot before attempting to install the next OTA that comes out.
    Step 1: You must unroot first. You don't have to completely remove Magisk, just restore images. Open Magisk, click uninstall magisk, and only click restore images. DO NOT REBOOT!

Step 2: Install OTA update. DO NOT REBOOT!

Step 3: Open Magisk and install to inactive slot. Reboot. Boot up took about 30 seconds.
    Can't believe I've never tried this before... Was sitting on this last version for a month now (international) lol so simple and easy. Restored images, took the ota from the system, and installed magisc in inactive slot and presto! Thanks, man!
    @g96818 , thanks for these instructions. Any thoughts on why my KB2005 (w/ Magisk Canary, currently 11.0.9.9.KB05AA) stops mid-update with "Couldn't update, Installation problem?" I've tried 3 times. This is after doing "restore images" in Magisk. Any ideas are appreciated. Maybe I should go the PC route.
    I ended up using the unbrick tool with that error. My phone's been error free since then.
    Thanks, @g96818. What do you recommend for backing up and restoring data? In the past, I've used TWRP and TB, but I've actually never restored from a backup.
    Most of your setting is backed up on google, but not your app data. If you're still rooted, then you can uses an app like titanium backup or swift backup and back up your app data. save your back up files to your pc, then copy it back and restore after you unbrick and properly root your phone.
    Thanks, @g96818. What do you recommend for backing up and restoring data? In the past, I've used TWRP and TB, but I've actually never restored from a backup.
    I use Swift Backup for application backups (after having been a long time TB user) and TWRP for system level (data partition, system partitions) backups.
    DISCLAIMER

I have only tested this on my OnePlus8T Indian model - KB2001
    Huge thanks to @topjohnwu for his magic.

YOU NEED TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER!
    In case you brick your device, use this unbrick guide
    If you get into a boot-loop by flashing problematic magisk modules, consider using the patched recoveries from my post HERE to remove the modules.

Manual ROOT procedure
    Skip to step #6 and then #10 if you do not want to use the payload dumper tool and want to directly flash the patched images for your variant and Build version!
    1. If you haven't updated OxygenOS yet, download it via the system updater. It will be stored in /sdcard/.Ota folder in your internal storage ( /sdcard/.Ota/OnePlus8TOxygen_15.I.16_OTA_0160_all_2010150110_84be0c.zip )
      The size should be >2GB. If it is not, it's probably an incremental OTA, not a full one. This guide will NOT work on incremental OTA Zips.
      DO NOT Reboot or else you will lose the file
    2. Copy the ZIP file over to your PC
    3. Download the Payload Dumper
      Alt dumper for windows only:
      https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=818070582850510260
      1.Put payload.bin to "payload_input" folder
      2.Run payload_dumper.exe
      3.Successfully extracted img files are in "payload_output" folder
      Extract the zip in the folder where you downloaded the payload dumper.
    4. Follow the instructions in the readme of payload dumper, and extract the OTA images:
      Code:
      python payload_dumper.py payload.bin
      You will get a boot.img file in the output folder.
    5. Proceed with installing the OxygenOS update and reboot the phone.
    6. Download and install the latest magisk canary release to your phone : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/canary/app-debug.apk
    7. Copy over the boot.img file created by payload_dumper to your internal storage
    8. Open Magisk Manager > Select Install > "Select and patch a file"
    9. Browse and select the boot.img file.
      Magisk will create a patched boot.img file in /sdcard/Downloads/magisk_patched.img . Copy this file over to your PC.​
    10. Reboot to fastboot mode
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    11. Either flash the patched magisk_patched.img in the active slot or temporarily boot into it if you are skeptical.
      I recommend to BOOT first and then perform a direct install via magisk as it is more reliable to patch the active slot.

To flash:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
      To Temporarily boot into a rooted system (RECOMMENDED!!):
      Code:
      fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

If you used the fastboot BOOT method, next you'll have to open magisk manager again, and this time, perform a "Direct Install".
      This will install magisk on the active boot slot and the next reboot will give you root.
    How to update OTA and KEEP ROOT
    It is advised to disable all magisk modules to be safe!
    - Go to System-Update
    - Tap OK when the message that you are rooted appears
    - Tap "Download and install"
    - Wait until you are prompted to reboot - DO NOT REBOOT NOW!
    - Open Magisk Manager, select install -> Install to inactive slot and start installation
    - When Magisk has finished to install, reboot and you stay rooted with newest OTA.

For the curious / impatient, Here are the OTAs / boot images for the different 8T Versions:

To find your model and build to download the right file:
    Bash:
    adb shell getprop ro.product.model
    KB2001
    adb shell getprop ro.build.version.ota
    OnePlus8TOxygen_15.I.16_GLO_0160_2010150110
    adb shell getprop ro.build.display.id
    KB2001_15_201015
    KB2000 / KB05?? - Chinese Variant
    KB2001 / KB05DA - Indian Variant
    KB2003 / KB05BA - EU Variant
    KB2005 / KB05AA - International Variant

Credit @northmendo @SAKO4444GODZ and @g96818
    UPDATE:
    For this variant please refer to this guide first! The OTA updates on this variant are partial and hence the rooting method isn't straightforward.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83791723&postcount=95
    Stock KB2005_15_201015 boot image SHA-1 D59C74767F74F4D7876BDCA930DEF23CCAA3FD2E
    Patched KB2005_15_201015 boot image SHA-1 C1126E8057EF9FB25D80645B850374BBDDE983C5
    OOS 11.0.3.4.KB05AA : Refer to https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83893183&postcount=151
    OOS 11.0.4.5.KB05AA : Refer to https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83940123&postcount=210
    OOS 11.0.5.6.KB05AA : Refer to https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=84003695&postcount=258

KB2007 / KB05CB - T-Mobile Variant
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's also a good practice to backup a few important partitions once you're rooted.
    I used ADB shell, but you can use any terminal emulator from the play store (Termux)

adb shell
    [email protected]:/ $ su
    [email protected]:/ #

Now run:
    Bash:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc/by-name/modemst1 of=/sdcard/modemst1.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc/by-name/modemst2 of=/sdcard/modemst2.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc/by-name/modemdump of=/sdcard/modemdump.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc/by-name/persist_bkp of=/sdcard/persist_bkp.img
    Other Misc Stuff for my reference!

If after flashing a custom kernel, you see Sim cards not working:
    Be sure NOT to have a magisk patched image on both boot slots. That causes this behavior
    Recovering lost app data after a failed boot:
    • Download and flash one of my adb-patched recoveries from my post here
    • Reboot to recovery, enter the password, open adb shell
    • Create a tar bundle of the app via tar -czvf MiXBackup.tgz data/data/com.mixplorer/silver and adb pull it to your system
    • *Or* the entire /data partition via tar --exclude /data/media/0 -czvf /data/media/0/data.tgz data/ (You CANNOT restore all of /data like this due to encryption stuff! but you can extract one app at a time and test)
    • Reinstall the app , reboot to recovery, adb push, and extract via tar xf MiXBackup.tar
    11.0.8.12 boot.img? Anyone?
    Already patched 11.0.8.12 boot.img EU variant

discleamer;
    Not my fault if your phone gets bricked

cheers!
    I'm posting here to detail how I solved an OTA update issue with my OnePlus 8T. For disclosure, I purchased this phone used, like new from someone who themselves got it open-box from a reputable retailer. So I don't know the full history of the phone, only that when I first booted it, it had clearly been factory reset and has been running flawlessly.

After I got the phone, I started looking into options for rooting. I unlocked the bootloader, and then, seeing that there was an OTA update for 11.0.9.9.KB05AA, prepared to try to root. I ultimately downloaded a Magisk-pre-patched boot image, thanks to Xi Jing Pooh (whoever you are), linked in these forum.

So after updated to the 11.0.9.9 OTA, I flashed that image, gained root, and again, didn't have any issues.

However, when the 11.0.10.10.KB05AA rolled out, I ran into problems. The OTA update kept failing with the message "Couldn't update, Installation problem."

I had prepared to update by following instructions on the forum; going into Magisk and restoring the stock boot image (an option when you choose "Uninstall Magisk"). I think it turned out I may flashed the pre-rooted boot image before ever booting into 11.0.9.9, so that might have been a problem. So I then used fastboot to flash the stock 11.0.9.9 boot image. I even did this to both a and b slots (maybe not necessary, I'm not sure).

While I did successfully unroot, my attempts to OTA update still kept failing. I then tried to manually update using a local copy of the OTA zip and got the same error.

After discussing with and getting good advice from @BillGoss and @g96818, I decided I would need to use the MSM tool to fully restore my phone to a previous OOS version and then incrementally update. @BillGoss also pointedly recommended I should do a full, manual update to 11.0 8.13 before letting OTA updates install, to ensure my file system had no inconsistencies.

Before I did this, I decided to try to capture a logcat while once again trying to manually update using my local zip of the 11.0.10.10 OTA. I started the update then immediately issued the logcat command in adb shell. As soon as the OTA install failed, I stopped logcat, then scrolled back to find the source of the error. Turned out that my dsp partition had been modified at some point and its SHA did not match that expected by the update.

@BillGoss pointed out to me later that 1) it's likely that the 11.0.9.9 OTA didn't touch the dsp partition, and that's why I had no problem with that update, and 2) I could have tried to dump the dsp parition from the full OTA for 11.0.8.13 and fix the issue without reverting to using the MSM tool.

But, I went ahead and followed detailed instructions to restore the phone to 11.0.7.9 (the latest MSM tool version). Per Bill's advice, after getting the phone setup again, I ignored prompts to download the OTA for 11.0.10.10 and manually ran the full OTA for 11.0.8.13. Finally, I OTA upgraded to 11.0.10.10, this time with no issues at all.

I forgot to unlock my bootloader during this process, so ended up doing that and setting up the phone twice. Then I rooted again, this time using the alpha TWRP that can be found here and installing the Magisk zip, which itself patches and installs the rooted boot image. This seems to have worked fine, and I've tested that I can also easily restore the stock boot before attempting to install the next OTA that comes out.