[GUIDE] How To Root P20 PRO Android 9.0 Pie EMUI9 Magisk CTL-L29

Search This thread

StonebridgeGr

Feb 6, 2014
Athens/Argostoli
www.facebook.com
First of all the guide i took it from @Vedrick by searching here in XDA. I just opened this post because i found his guide with a little bit hardness and its easier now for ya.
Well lets start. FIRST Back up all your data.
I was on the latest version of CLT-L29 Huawei p20 pro 6/128 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9) if you try it on another version let me know

As always, if you do this it's at your own risk.

PREREQUIREMENTS:

Watch my video on youtube that made to help you guys

1) ADB, Fastboot and Drivers
2)Patched boot image
3) A pc of course.
4) Make sure your phone is not bootloop and working
5)Enable Debugging and OEM unlocking from dev options

This is how i got root on EMUI 9 without TWRP recovery

1 - I Flashed Get your phone on fastboot mode FIRST MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER (download it, and move it on your adb folder-default is on C: drive) (press SHIFT button and right click on the adb folder->select open here PowerShell) type the command fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img

2-Reboot phone, install Magisk manager last apk from google , go into settings, and change the update channel to custom: )COPY AND PASTE THIS LINKhttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/master/canary_builds/release.json, go back to the Magisk home screen and hit install, download the odd Magisk file.zip file.

3-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key if it goes to ERecovery then reboot again and keep pressing like the video.

4-Open Magisk app, install the zip, then patch, and install the downloaded Magisk.zip file if it says direct install(recommender choose this should say this)

5-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key and your phone should boot just fine.(like i said above and like i show the video)

6-Open Magisk, install, select direct install option. and reboot.

Note:

1 - Now your phone will reboot into the recovery every time on its own, which is a good thing, you no longer need to hold the volume up key every time you reboot, it does it for you. This means no TWRP.

2 - In order to apps root access for the first time you need to have Magisk open, or you wont get prompted for approval. Then the app will have permanent root access.

3- You can enter fastboot mode from connecting your phone to pc and open adb as i say above and type adb reboot bootloader OR by turn off your phone, press the down button volume and after 3 secs connect the cable on your pc DONT LEAVE THE DOWN BUTTON

Usefull Commands: If you cannot enter bootloader mode ( IS NEEDED ) type this command on the adb , but first connect your phone with your PC/LAPTOP adb reboot bootloader

IF you have any questions fell free to comment bellow. Also i am gonna try some things to flash twrp and have it for ever because @Vedrick i think couldnt flash twrp recovery

Last edited by a moderator:

deltaman83

Jan 20, 2011
Hi,
thanks a lot taking time for this guide but there are 2 things that I think are confusing :
FIRST - Once you have flashed recovery_ramdisk partition with the patched_boot.img file through fastboot , and you reboot holding up volume button, the phone boots. But after installing latest magisk manager, even without changing the update channel adress, phone is already rooted and you can add modules, etc...

SECOND - when following the guide step by step, part 4 is a problem because it finds new version and asks tout update. And when you do, the guide says install then to patch the tout install the downloaded file.
That part ils not clear as you do not tell what file to patch at this state....
If you could clear that part it would be perfect.

StonebridgeGr

Feb 6, 2014
Athens/Argostoli
www.facebook.com
Hi,
thanks a lot taking time for this guide but there are 2 things that I think are confusing :
FIRST - Once you have flashed recovery_ramdisk partition with the patched_boot.img file through fastboot , and you reboot holding up volume button, the phone boots. But after installing latest magisk manager, even without changing the update channel adress, phone is already rooted and you can add modules, etc...

SECOND - when following the guide step by step, part 4 is a problem because it finds new version and asks tout update. And when you do, the guide says install then to patch the tout install the downloaded file.

i am gonna check it now because my phone was bricked and i cant root now

StonebridgeGr

Feb 6, 2014
Athens/Argostoli
www.facebook.com
Hi,

ok i did manage to root it again. you need to unlock your bl and press the volume up button. i edited the post

deltaman83

Jan 20, 2011
I did first time as just flashing fastboot recovery_ramdisk with patched_boot.img was enough when opening magisk manager.
Updating was the issue. SO i downloaded the original recovery_ramdisk 195 , and used that file to patch with the latest version downloaded. Then I flashed in fastboot the new patched_boot.img and all was good to latest version.

StonebridgeGr

Feb 6, 2014
Athens/Argostoli
www.facebook.com
I did first time as just flashing fastboot recovery_ramdisk with patched_boot.img was enough when opening magisk manager.
Updating was the issue. SO i downloaded the original recovery_ramdisk 195 , and used that file to patch with the latest version downloaded. Then I flashed in fastboot the new patched_boot.img and all was good to latest version.

why to download another patch i dont get it.
plus see my signature :D

deltaman83

Jan 20, 2011
Because with yours i was not on latest magisk. Now i can update each time there's a new version by patching the original recovery_ramdisk and flashing the patched_boot.img on fastboot.
I'm curently on 18.2-e05cdc83 (18104)

StonebridgeGr

Feb 6, 2014
Athens/Argostoli
www.facebook.com
Because with yours i was not on latest magisk. Now i can update each time there's a new version by patching the original recovery_ramdisk and flashing the patched_boot.img on fastboot.
I'm curently on 18.2-e05cdc83 (18104)

i have the same version as you. the problem is 1) you cant have twrp recovery 2) when you open a app that needs root you have to open magisk app first otherwise the permissions will fail

deltaman83

Jan 20, 2011
Thanks a lot but i don't have enough time....see m'y number of posts by there lol...same on Facebook etc (f..k I'm already late for work....?).
Regards

Ady-86

Feb 7, 2019
Every time I flash the patched_boot.img and restart with volume up into recovery I have a bootloop. I have CLT-L09 pie 9.0.0.1.9.5 with the custom link for magisk. The only way to get out of the loop is to reflash the stock recovery_ramdis.img. But after flashing stock recovery, magisk has no root any more...

Any suggestions why I only get the bootloop after reflashing the patched_boot.img?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all the guide i took it from @Vedrick by searching here in XDA. I just opened this post because i found his guide with a little bit hardness and its easier now for ya.
    Well lets start. FIRST Back up all your data.
    I was on the latest version of CLT-L29 Huawei p20 pro 6/128 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9) if you try it on another version let me know

As always, if you do this it's at your own risk.

PREREQUIREMENTS:

Watch my video on youtube that made to help you guys

1) ADB, Fastboot and Drivers
    2)Patched boot image
    3) A pc of course.
    4) Make sure your phone is not bootloop and working
    5)Enable Debugging and OEM unlocking from dev options

This is how i got root on EMUI 9 without TWRP recovery

1 - I Flashed Get your phone on fastboot mode FIRST MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER (download it, and move it on your adb folder-default is on C: drive) (press SHIFT button and right click on the adb folder->select open here PowerShell) type the command fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img

2-Reboot phone, install Magisk manager last apk from google , go into settings, and change the update channel to custom: )COPY AND PASTE THIS LINKhttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/master/canary_builds/release.json, go back to the Magisk home screen and hit install, download the odd Magisk file.zip file.

3-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key if it goes to ERecovery then reboot again and keep pressing like the video.

4-Open Magisk app, install the zip, then patch, and install the downloaded Magisk.zip file if it says direct install(recommender choose this should say this)

5-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key and your phone should boot just fine.(like i said above and like i show the video)

6-Open Magisk, install, select direct install option. and reboot.

Note:

1 - Now your phone will reboot into the recovery every time on its own, which is a good thing, you no longer need to hold the volume up key every time you reboot, it does it for you. This means no TWRP.

2 - In order to apps root access for the first time you need to have Magisk open, or you wont get prompted for approval. Then the app will have permanent root access.

3- You can enter fastboot mode from connecting your phone to pc and open adb as i say above and type adb reboot bootloader OR by turn off your phone, press the down button volume and after 3 secs connect the cable on your pc DONT LEAVE THE DOWN BUTTON

Usefull Commands: If you cannot enter bootloader mode ( IS NEEDED ) type this command on the adb , but first connect your phone with your PC/LAPTOP adb reboot bootloader

IF you have any questions fell free to comment bellow. Also i am gonna try some things to flash twrp and have it for ever because @Vedrick i think couldnt flash twrp recovery
    Hi. Thank you.
    I did it in firmware 9.0.0.191 and worked fine.

np if u want press the thanks button. also join my telegram group see the link in my signature bellow this post.
    John
    This method not working anymore

I'm now on latest beta 19.1...... and before on 19.0 and it does work perfectly. Since latest beta the file will be magisk_patched.img and no more patched_boot.img
    So :
    Symply Install latest magisk manager.
    Use Huawei extractor, select update.app from the zip file you downloaded with firmware finder.
    Extract recovery_ramdisk and place it to your device.
    Open magisk manager, chose beta from settings update. Then go to choose install and select patch image. Choose the recovery_ramdisk file you placed
    Let the process end. Then copy the new file in your download folder to your computer, boot into fastboot mode, and type : fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk magisk_patched.img
    Then type reboot and IMMEDIATELY unplug the phone + keep pressed volume up after HAWEI logo disappears. Once new screen is on, you you can leave the volume up and you will be on root mode.
    I confirm today 16/3 i managed root P20 PRO 9.0.0.203 with the above instructions
    Hi all, this method will work on my device? thanks!

P20 PRO
    model: CLT-L09
    Build: 9.0.0.163 (C432E5R1P9patch01) GPU Turbo
    EMUI: 9.0.0
    Android 9

Hello yes sir.
    Please check my signature and join my telegram
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android