[GUIDE] How To Root P20 PRO Android 9.0 Pie EMUI9 Magisk CTL-L29

Search This thread

otonieru

• May 7, 2011
    Djakarta
    i'm stucked in point 3, I cant do "flash" with volume+, always enter eRecovery
    update:

The best way to do this is pressing the vol+ since reboot and keep pressing until "Huawei" boots

you need to hold the vol up even before the screen is turning on,

normally you need to do it as soon as you hit the enter button to reboot from fastboot.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Do you have a different link to the files needed please? I don't like the website used.

magisk can be downloaded from xda

and firmware from firmware finder

i dont like that kind of link as well. OP should stay with AFH, github, or simply gDrive

ahlsunnah

Aug 24, 2006
    Is this going to work on Huawei mate RS (neo-L29)? I coudnt find any information on rooting this phone but seem like software is very similar.

otonieru

• May 7, 2011
    Djakarta
    Update available if i root by this way? Thanks

update can always manually flashed,

been going since 102 up to 247

---------- Post added at 03:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

Is this going to work on Huawei mate RS (neo-L29)? I coudnt find any information on rooting this phone but seem like software is very similar.

as long as you got your bootloader unlocked, you can try to patch your recovery ramdisk and flash it,

theoritically it should work

Reactions: robertiiino

belloni

Jun 8, 2013
    Can you help me please, struggling to do this. Trying to follow the below but when I tried to patch I got "magisk_patched" is that right?

Extract recovery_ramdisk from update.app and place somewhere on SD card.

Install Magisk 18 manager.

Manually change the update canal to : https://bit.ly/2MPKGY5

Press instal magisk l. Use the patch boot IMG option.

Direct to your recovery_ramdisk.

When the patch is done copy the patched_boot.img to a folder on your computer.

Reboot to bootloader

When in bootloader: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img

Fastboot reboot

When boot press vol up. Bootlogo will appear and you'll have a rooted emui 9!

otonieru

• May 7, 2011
    Djakarta
    Can you help me please, struggling to do this. Trying to follow the below but when I tried to patch I got "magisk_patched" is that right?

Reboot to bootloader

Fastboot reboot

naming doesn't really matter, as long as u use correct ramdisk image when patching. i even rename mine to just recovery.img for easier flashing, i dont like to type too much in CMD, lol

sarichter

Nov 4, 2011
    Phoenix

Reboot to bootloader

Fastboot reboot

Where did you find this guide? I'd like to try the manual patch method but I want to ensure I don't brick the phone.

StonebridgeGr

Feb 6, 2014
    Athens/Argostoli
    www.facebook.com

Reboot to bootloader

Fastboot reboot

Why change the canal ?

deltaman83

Jan 20, 2011
    This method not working anymore

I'm now on latest beta 19.1...... and before on 19.0 and it does work perfectly. Since latest beta the file will be magisk_patched.img and no more patched_boot.img
    So :
    Symply Install latest magisk manager.
    Use Huawei extractor, select update.app from the zip file you downloaded with firmware finder.
    Extract recovery_ramdisk and place it to your device.
    Open magisk manager, chose beta from settings update. Then go to choose install and select patch image. Choose the recovery_ramdisk file you placed
    Let the process end. Then copy the new file in your download folder to your computer, boot into fastboot mode, and type : fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk magisk_patched.img
    Then type reboot and IMMEDIATELY unplug the phone + keep pressed volume up after HAWEI logo disappears. Once new screen is on, you you can leave the volume up and you will be on root mode.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      First of all the guide i took it from @Vedrick by searching here in XDA. I just opened this post because i found his guide with a little bit hardness and its easier now for ya.
      Well lets start. FIRST Back up all your data.
      I was on the latest version of CLT-L29 Huawei p20 pro 6/128 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9) if you try it on another version let me know

As always, if you do this it's at your own risk.

PREREQUIREMENTS:

Watch my video on youtube that made to help you guys

1) ADB, Fastboot and Drivers
      2)Patched boot image
      3) A pc of course.
      4) Make sure your phone is not bootloop and working
      5)Enable Debugging and OEM unlocking from dev options

This is how i got root on EMUI 9 without TWRP recovery

1 - I Flashed Get your phone on fastboot mode FIRST MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER (download it, and move it on your adb folder-default is on C: drive) (press SHIFT button and right click on the adb folder->select open here PowerShell) type the command fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img

2-Reboot phone, install Magisk manager last apk from google , go into settings, and change the update channel to custom: )COPY AND PASTE THIS LINKhttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/master/canary_builds/release.json, go back to the Magisk home screen and hit install, download the odd Magisk file.zip file.

3-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key if it goes to ERecovery then reboot again and keep pressing like the video.

4-Open Magisk app, install the zip, then patch, and install the downloaded Magisk.zip file if it says direct install(recommender choose this should say this)

5-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key and your phone should boot just fine.(like i said above and like i show the video)

6-Open Magisk, install, select direct install option. and reboot.

Note:

1 - Now your phone will reboot into the recovery every time on its own, which is a good thing, you no longer need to hold the volume up key every time you reboot, it does it for you. This means no TWRP.

2 - In order to apps root access for the first time you need to have Magisk open, or you wont get prompted for approval. Then the app will have permanent root access.

3- You can enter fastboot mode from connecting your phone to pc and open adb as i say above and type adb reboot bootloader OR by turn off your phone, press the down button volume and after 3 secs connect the cable on your pc DONT LEAVE THE DOWN BUTTON

Usefull Commands: If you cannot enter bootloader mode ( IS NEEDED ) type this command on the adb , but first connect your phone with your PC/LAPTOP adb reboot bootloader

IF you have any questions fell free to comment bellow. Also i am gonna try some things to flash twrp and have it for ever because @Vedrick i think couldnt flash twrp recovery
      Hi. Thank you.
      I did it in firmware 9.0.0.191 and worked fine.

np if u want press the thanks button. also join my telegram group see the link in my signature bellow this post.
      John
      This method not working anymore

I'm now on latest beta 19.1...... and before on 19.0 and it does work perfectly. Since latest beta the file will be magisk_patched.img and no more patched_boot.img
      So :
      Symply Install latest magisk manager.
      Use Huawei extractor, select update.app from the zip file you downloaded with firmware finder.
      Extract recovery_ramdisk and place it to your device.
      Open magisk manager, chose beta from settings update. Then go to choose install and select patch image. Choose the recovery_ramdisk file you placed
      Let the process end. Then copy the new file in your download folder to your computer, boot into fastboot mode, and type : fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk magisk_patched.img
      Then type reboot and IMMEDIATELY unplug the phone + keep pressed volume up after HAWEI logo disappears. Once new screen is on, you you can leave the volume up and you will be on root mode.
      I confirm today 16/3 i managed root P20 PRO 9.0.0.203 with the above instructions
      Hi all, this method will work on my device? thanks!

P20 PRO
      model: CLT-L09
      Build: 9.0.0.163 (C432E5R1P9patch01) GPU Turbo
      EMUI: 9.0.0
      Android 9

Hello yes sir.
      Please check my signature and join my telegram
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android