[GUIDE] How To Root P20 PRO Android 9.0 Pie EMUI9 Magisk CTL-L29

Search This thread

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
First of all the guide i took it from @Vedrick by searching here in XDA. I just opened this post because i found his guide with a little bit hardness and its easier now for ya.
Well lets start. FIRST Back up all your data.
I was on the latest version of CLT-L29 Huawei p20 pro 6/128 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9) if you try it on another version let me know

As always, if you do this it's at your own risk.

PREREQUIREMENTS:

Watch my video on youtube that made to help you guys https://fabsdeals.com/fxp1Z

1) ADB, Fastboot and Drivers https://fabsdeals.com/oDtLR4

Honestly, why upload files to sites so full of crap?

Wouldn't dropbox or mega have done the same job?

Appreciate the guide but jesus the ads are disgusting.

Also after installing the patched boot img you don't need to do anything else.

Just install magisk then allow it to make the modifications needed.

Disable PIN / Password prior to doing this.

That's it.

Last edited:

belloni

Jun 8, 2013
I'm currently rooted on .245 but I have an update in Firmware Finder approved for .280 what's the process for updating?

I'd also like to start from scratch (factory reset) as I think I've got a bug draining.

mickrick

Sep 15, 2012
Appreciate the guide but jesus the ads are disgusting.

Why, don't you want to meet horny girls from your area? If not, you're probably the only person I know who doesn't.

Is it really that simple to root the P20 Pro? Just install a modified bootimage and magisk?

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Why, don't you want to meet horny girls from your area? If not, you're probably the only person I know who doesn't.

Is it really that simple to root the P20 Pro? Just install a modified bootimage and magisk?

Why??

Because I could if I wanted to get a woman whenever I wanted, as it turns out I'm married so no need..

As for adverts, they're cancer and should be a choice.

Only a total idiot would approve of adverts.

mickrick

Sep 15, 2012
Why??

Because I could if I wanted to get a woman whenever I wanted, as it turns out I'm married so no need..

As for adverts, they're cancer and should be a choice.

Only a total idiot would approve of adverts.

It was meant to be a moment of levity :). I agree about ads. Some sites are almost impossible to use because of them.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
It was meant to be a moment of levity :). I agree about ads. Some sites are almost impossible to use because of them.

I doubt my wife would agree maybe you'll feel the same when you have one yourself...

As for ads, I hate ads, like I said. They're a cancer and they're getting worse.

If someone uploads something to a site which has ads like that on it instead of mega or Dropbox? Sorry but there's no excuse for it.

Shocking behaviour.

Malware, adware, ransomware, spyware.

This is how idiots lose their bank details..

TitoDKM

Feb 24, 2014
Hi.

I can't see the option "patch only the boot.img" option, any way to get that?

I use the "select and patch a file" option, selecting the recovery ramdisk uploaded here and flashing the magisk_patched that it's return. After that I reboot and unplug pressing up key but it's boot into recovery and nothing happens. I reboot from recovery but that's non rooted.

Any help for that? Thanks in advance

Phillthy

Jul 1, 2019
Hi.

I use the "select and patch a file" option, selecting the recovery ramdisk uploaded here and flashing the magisk_patched that it's return. After that I reboot and unplug pressing up key but it's boot into recovery and nothing happens. I reboot from recovery but that's non rooted.

Same scenario here, i'm no expert but i'm thinking it might be an issue with a newer version of android pie. I'm on 9.0.0286, how about you?

also the guide is about 4 months old, magisk is probably updated and wording/ function might be different..

Last edited:

abyssq

Nov 19, 2014
Same scenario here, i'm no expert but i'm thinking it might be an issue with a newer version of android pie. I'm on 9.0.0286, how about you?

also the guide is about 4 months old, magisk is probably updated and wording/ function might be different..

I'm on version 295 and now I have to press volume up every time on reboot to get root. It's really annoying, but it still works. :(

TitoDKM

Feb 24, 2014
Hi.

I'm on version 295 and now I have to press volume up every time on reboot to get root. It's really annoying, but it still works. :(

Im at 251 but when you press the volume up? If I press it reboot on bootloader every time

jchusted

Dec 14, 2009
Command not allowed

Hi All

Tried this guide, which looks similar to others guides around.

I have been into developer options and activated OEM unlock.

When I reboot to bootloader, it's written with red "FRP unlock" I assume this is because I can modify the bootloader.

When i start the show with ADB i get following:

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>fastboot fla
mg
target reported max download size of 471859200 byt
sending 'recovery_ramdisk' (23542 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.537s]
writing 'recovery_ramdisk'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.546s

Why is that? I know in the past a code had to be used to unlock the bootloader, but i thought that was kind of outdated.

Hope someone can help me out here.

Best regards
JC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all the guide i took it from @Vedrick by searching here in XDA. I just opened this post because i found his guide with a little bit hardness and its easier now for ya.
    Well lets start. FIRST Back up all your data.
    I was on the latest version of CLT-L29 Huawei p20 pro 6/128 9.0.0.195(C432E5R1P9) if you try it on another version let me know

As always, if you do this it's at your own risk.

PREREQUIREMENTS:

Watch my video on youtube that made to help you guys

1) ADB, Fastboot and Drivers
    2)Patched boot image
    3) A pc of course.
    4) Make sure your phone is not bootloop and working
    5)Enable Debugging and OEM unlocking from dev options

This is how i got root on EMUI 9 without TWRP recovery

1 - I Flashed Get your phone on fastboot mode FIRST MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER (download it, and move it on your adb folder-default is on C: drive) (press SHIFT button and right click on the adb folder->select open here PowerShell) type the command fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img

2-Reboot phone, install Magisk manager last apk from google , go into settings, and change the update channel to custom: )COPY AND PASTE THIS LINKhttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/master/canary_builds/release.json, go back to the Magisk home screen and hit install, download the odd Magisk file.zip file.

3-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key if it goes to ERecovery then reboot again and keep pressing like the video.

4-Open Magisk app, install the zip, then patch, and install the downloaded Magisk.zip file if it says direct install(recommender choose this should say this)

5-Reboot phone, press and hold the volume up key and your phone should boot just fine.(like i said above and like i show the video)

6-Open Magisk, install, select direct install option. and reboot.

Note:

1 - Now your phone will reboot into the recovery every time on its own, which is a good thing, you no longer need to hold the volume up key every time you reboot, it does it for you. This means no TWRP.

2 - In order to apps root access for the first time you need to have Magisk open, or you wont get prompted for approval. Then the app will have permanent root access.

3- You can enter fastboot mode from connecting your phone to pc and open adb as i say above and type adb reboot bootloader OR by turn off your phone, press the down button volume and after 3 secs connect the cable on your pc DONT LEAVE THE DOWN BUTTON

Usefull Commands: If you cannot enter bootloader mode ( IS NEEDED ) type this command on the adb , but first connect your phone with your PC/LAPTOP adb reboot bootloader

IF you have any questions fell free to comment bellow. Also i am gonna try some things to flash twrp and have it for ever because @Vedrick i think couldnt flash twrp recovery
    Hi. Thank you.
    I did it in firmware 9.0.0.191 and worked fine.

np if u want press the thanks button. also join my telegram group see the link in my signature bellow this post.
    John
    This method not working anymore

I'm now on latest beta 19.1...... and before on 19.0 and it does work perfectly. Since latest beta the file will be magisk_patched.img and no more patched_boot.img
    So :
    Symply Install latest magisk manager.
    Use Huawei extractor, select update.app from the zip file you downloaded with firmware finder.
    Extract recovery_ramdisk and place it to your device.
    Open magisk manager, chose beta from settings update. Then go to choose install and select patch image. Choose the recovery_ramdisk file you placed
    Let the process end. Then copy the new file in your download folder to your computer, boot into fastboot mode, and type : fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk magisk_patched.img
    Then type reboot and IMMEDIATELY unplug the phone + keep pressed volume up after HAWEI logo disappears. Once new screen is on, you you can leave the volume up and you will be on root mode.
    I confirm today 16/3 i managed root P20 PRO 9.0.0.203 with the above instructions
    Hi all, this method will work on my device? thanks!

P20 PRO
    model: CLT-L09
    Build: 9.0.0.163 (C432E5R1P9patch01) GPU Turbo
    EMUI: 9.0.0
    Android 9

Hello yes sir.
    Please check my signature and join my telegram