• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE] How to root Red Hydrogen One Aluminum (H1A1000)

Search This thread

Enriquecalong

Feb 6, 2019
Last edited:

joeymitchell2kids

Dec 21, 2015
If anyone has the stock firmware for the At&t Red Hydrogen One and could upload it.. I would greatly appreciate it, I messed my system up trying to root and now it says no os installed thanks...

Attachments

• 1617245876436518356528150457677.jpg
    1617245876436518356528150457677.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 15

Profnex

May 1, 2021
Can someone help me? I just bought this phone 3 days ago, and got started rooting by trying to follow the step by step walkthrough. I never rooted before, and this was suppose to my first fun project to get into it. I was able to root it yesterday, but wasnt able to use wifi as soon as I installed magisk ( I think). I tried to remove magisk and unroot it, but some how ended up deleting the stock and back up. now I can only get it to boot up to bootloader, no farther. and everytime I put it on recovery mode it would just say "no command" and then restart after like 2 mins to bootloader. I never get the clear cache or anything like that.

I have a RHO att, and can't find any system.img, stock rom, or firmware anywhere on the internet (not that I completely understand the difference between any of those lol but trying to follow walk throughs of how to unbrick and how to install stock rom).

can someone walk me through restoring it to the way it was (stock rom with android 8.1)? or if it's all the same, upgrade it to android 10.

mfgreen

Mar 20, 2011
Hi all,

For those who don't know, I'm known for rooting HMD Nokia Android Phones.
EAQR6w7XoAATnuW

So after few hours testing, I finally found out how to root it.
Note, I've only dumped stock ROM from Verizon Wireless Variant as it's the only variant I've obtained so far. For non-operator variant and AT&T variant, I need your help for firmware dumping in case you want to restore your phone back to factory original state or OTA update if possible.

Known working build: H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109

Procedure is pretty regular.

Step 1: Unlock the bootloader
Unlike HMD Nokia Android Phones, bootloader unlock is straight forward.
Just enable OEM unlocking in developer options, reboot your phone to Fastboot mode and unlock the bootloader with following command:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
Then confirm unlock on the phone.
As I've always recommended for HMD Nokia Phones, you should do critical unlock as well:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock_critical

Strange enough, this phone doesn't have unlock warning after unlocked. Not sure about open market release or AT&T Variant.

Step 2: Install Magisk Manager and allow storage permission
You can download it from Magisk release topic or https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases

Step 3: Reboot to fastboot mode and flash patched boot image
You can download required patched boot image and representative stock boot image from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=297410
For Verizon Variant that available with build "H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109" so far, download "H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot_magisk_patched_193.img". You can check software version yourself if correct.

The command is straight forward too:
Code:
fastboot flash boot /path/to/H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot_magisk_patched_193.img

If you use Platform tools from Google officially, you needn't to care about your current slot actually.

Now reboot your phone:
Code:
fastboot reboot

Step 4: Restore stock boot image and reinstall Magisk (For OTA update ability although no update for months)
After your phone booted, enable USB debugging and copy the file "H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot.img" you downloaded along with patched boot image. I would assume you copied it to root directory of internal storage.
So execute following ADB commands:
Code:
$ su
(Confirm Root permission on the phone)
# getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix
If it returns a, you'll need to execute this command:
Code:
# dd if=/storage/emulated/0/H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a
If it returns b, you'll need to execute this command:
Code:
# dd if=/storage/emulated/0/H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_b

Then open Magisk Manager on your phone, tap no thanks if it asks for extra modules, then tap "Install" at the right of Magisk version, choose "Direct Install", and wait for the procedure complete.
If installed successfully, you can reboot your phone on Magisk Manager now.

That's it!
At least this phone will work with Treble GSI build, so you should have idea about how could I dump the phone.

For Treble GSI report, read this: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Red-Hydrogen-One

im new to this and im having a little trouble with rooting my hydrogen one. ive been staring at this tutorial for hours and ive gotten as far as step 4. i flashed the patched boot.img but im not sure what you mean by restore stock boot img and reinstall magisk. i have both boot imgs saved on the root directory of my phone but when i tried those commands it didnt do anything. when i use root checker it says that my phone is rooted but when i try to use an app that requires root it lets me grant root but then the app wont work.

Profnex

May 1, 2021
I have an MSM UFS variant from AT&T. I attempted to follow the instructions from before, ended up bootlooping. I can still access fastboot and recovery, though, so I think it's mostly cuz it failed install on 3rd part with the AOSP image. CMD line log below.

>fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: b
Finished. Total time: 0.002s

>fastboot flash system system-arm64-ab-gapps-su.img
Sending sparse 'system_b' 1/4 (524284 KB) OKAY [ 1.798s]
Writing 'system_b' OKAY [ 0.000s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 2/4 (488220 KB) OKAY [ 16.794s]
Writing 'system_b' OKAY [ 0.001s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 3/4 (524284 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed (Unknown error))
fastboot: error: Command failed

If there are any updates, I'd really be grateful. I got this phone cuz I thought it'd be interesting to root with, but man is there next to no material for it anywhere (literally got this delivered 30 mins ago).
I'm on the same boat as you. were you able to get past the boot loop?

Maura90

Jun 19, 2021
I have the MSM UFS variant from AT&T, ended into bootloop and access to fastboot and recovery... i tryed to install other AOSP, but something not working and when i try to reboot from twrp say no os installed... can someone help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

For those who don't know, I'm known for rooting HMD Nokia Android Phones.
    EAQR6w7XoAATnuW

So after few hours testing, I finally found out how to root it.
    Note, I've only dumped stock ROM from Verizon Wireless Variant as it's the only variant I've obtained so far. For non-operator variant and AT&T variant, I need your help for firmware dumping in case you want to restore your phone back to factory original state or OTA update if possible.

Known working build: H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109

Procedure is pretty regular.

Step 1: Unlock the bootloader
    Unlike HMD Nokia Android Phones, bootloader unlock is straight forward.
    Just enable OEM unlocking in developer options, reboot your phone to Fastboot mode and unlock the bootloader with following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock
    As I've always recommended for HMD Nokia Phones, you should do critical unlock as well:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical

Strange enough, this phone doesn't have unlock warning after unlocked. Not sure about open market release or AT&T Variant.

Step 2: Install Magisk Manager and allow storage permission
    You can download it from Magisk release topic or https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases

Step 3: Reboot to fastboot mode and flash patched boot image
    You can download required patched boot image and representative stock boot image from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=297410
    For Verizon Variant that available with build "H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109" so far, download "H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot_magisk_patched_193.img". You can check software version yourself if correct.

The command is straight forward too:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot_magisk_patched_193.img

If you use Platform tools from Google officially, you needn't to care about your current slot actually.

Now reboot your phone:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Step 4: Restore stock boot image and reinstall Magisk (For OTA update ability although no update for months)
    After your phone booted, enable USB debugging and copy the file "H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot.img" you downloaded along with patched boot image. I would assume you copied it to root directory of internal storage.
    So execute following ADB commands:
    Code:
    $ su
    (Confirm Root permission on the phone)
    # getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix
    If it returns a, you'll need to execute this command:
    Code:
    # dd if=/storage/emulated/0/H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a
    If it returns b, you'll need to execute this command:
    Code:
    # dd if=/storage/emulated/0/H1A1000.010ho.01.01.01r.109-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_b

Then open Magisk Manager on your phone, tap no thanks if it asks for extra modules, then tap "Install" at the right of Magisk version, choose "Direct Install", and wait for the procedure complete.
    If installed successfully, you can reboot your phone on Magisk Manager now.

That's it!
    At least this phone will work with Treble GSI build, so you should have idea about how could I dump the phone.

For Treble GSI report, read this: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Red-Hydrogen-One
    For those who want to know how I dumped the phone:

Well, I found the phone could support Treble GSI and received update before.
    So if your current slot is B, you definitely want to give it a try.

1. Unlock the bootloader

2. Download AOSP 8.1 Treble GSI from @phhusson 's repo:
    https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases

In my case I chose system-arm64-ab-gapps-su.img.xz one

3. Enter fastboot mode and flash the image
    Please check current slot as well
    Code:
    fastboot getvar current-slot
    I would assume your current slot is B in this case.

Code:
    fastboot flash system /path/to/system-arm64-ab-gapps-su.img
    fastboot erase frp

4. Use volume key to choose "Reboot to recovery" then press power key to confirm
    Press power key and volume up key to get the menu if "No command" appears, then choose "Wipe data/factory reset" to erase userdata storage.
    Then reboot the phone.

5. After the phone booted, finish Setup Wizard.

6. Dump the boot image
    Code:
    adb shell
    $ su
    (Confirm root permission on the phone)
    # dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_b of=/storage/emulated/0/stock_boot.img
    # exit
    $ exit
    adb pull /storage/emulated/0/stock_boot.img
    adb reboot bootloader

7. Switch to previous version, do factory reset
    Code:
    fastboot --set-active=a
    Reboot to recovery and perform factory reset.

8. Reboot to normal OS and accept OTA update.
    9. Use Magisk to patch the boot image you dumped, then root it with your patched boot image, or you can upload it if possible.
    10. You can dump other partitions as well if you want.
    Hey guys I ****ed up pretty big. Red wants me to send in my phone to get reimaged.

Can someone please dump their system.img for me.

https://www.addictivetips.com/mobil...es-boot-recovery-and-system-partition-images/

dump is here
    https://github.com/AndroidDumps/red_hydrogenone_dump
    Thank you so so much dude.

your welcome, hope it helps.