[Guide][How-To][Root] Sony Xperia Z3v [D6708] [5.1.1] [Latest]

Search This thread

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present to you all a formal guide to venture into one of the best smartphones in the market, the underdog to the other mass marketers, the Sony Xperia Z3v for Verizon!

*Please note I am not responsible for any bricking, destruction of your device, alien invasions, or any other problems. It is up to the user's choice to seek out what is done on your device on your own terms.*

This is the method I would recommend that's much quicker and efficient is Kingroot. I know there were some previous controversy about what could be behind Kingroot, but from what I will show here is using Kingroot as leverage to gain access quickly into my prerooted Lollipop firmware that can stand alone after removing Kingroot afterwards.

1. Have the Z3v in your possession.
2. Google "Kingroot" and download for Android and run the rooting process there.
3. Download "Superuser" from the Play Store to have the binary to run root fully. (Optional just in case the next step doesn't work)
4. Install XZDualRecovery (grab the flashinstaller for the Xperia Z3) to install TWRP from here: http://nut.xperia-files.com/path/XZ...40vagg0tpcrnm1vlnt63je5&randomizer=_ehkq575vz
(The link is subject to change, so if that happens, navigate through here: http://nut.xperia-files.com/)
5. Download my new 5.1.1 prerooted Lollipop zip from my thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/...08-prerooted-lollipop-5-1-1-23-4-b-0-t3338967
6. Access TWRP by opening an app called NDR Utils in your App Drawer
7. Flash my zip through the install button and now you'll be on the latest prerooted stock build of Lollipop with a few mods.

Optional Step 8. Uninstall any traces of Kingroot from your phone and you're good to go. This step may already be done for you after you flash the prerooted because reportedly there were already no traces left behind. Enjoy!

Thanks to the following people:
@zxz0O0, for achieving root for our Z3v
@jal3223, for helping me as much as you can to guide me through myself
@[NUT], for the custom recovery to install onto our Xperia devices

Please hit thanks for the all in one guide to freedom!

Last edited:

Mountainfisher

Sep 10, 2014
Chattanooga
hey man,

im getting stuck after running root.bat

i get javaruntime =null error
did you experience this and do you know what i should do.

also the java link you provided is dead

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
hey man,

im getting stuck after running root.bat

i get javaruntime =null error
did you experience this and do you know what i should do.

also the java link you provided is dead

At that point, that's what was stopping me too. What I did was just go ahead and redownload the root files, uninstall all Java on my desktop and resintall it. Then try again to make it work.

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
At that point, that's what was stopping me too. What I did was just go ahead and redownload the root files, uninstall all Java on my desktop and resintall it. Then try again to make it work.

What do you think are chances are of unlocking our bootloader now? Sony's unlock site will give us an unlock key for our device. I'm not sure what is holding us up.

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
What do you think are chances are of unlocking our bootloader now? Sony's unlock site will give us an unlock key for our device. I'm not sure what is holding us up.
Personally, I'm fine without doing custom ROMs. I like how Sony's UI works as it is and I prefer it that way than going full AOSP like any other Nexus phone. I just like to buy what came with the package as is intended. :p

Oh No, I vowed to stop messing with my phones....:eek:
This is well worth to do. I installed Xposed, and unlocked some awesome stuff. Such as using Superior Auto mode with 15 mp right off the start or 20.7 MP. Greater the details, amazing functions made.
Oh and also, I will now proceed to upload the flashable zip of the latest FW being prerooted. Just so there's some better things to deal with.

Reactions: jal3223

Seannnn

Jan 25, 2015
Ive uninstalled java, reinstalled java, factory reset twice, still the java runtime error =null
im bout cooked for today

This guy said it took him 10 times so I am going to keep trying till it works!

I was getting the same errors. I had to factory reset the phone multiple times and redo the steps. On about the 10th time, it took. I skipped the phone set up steps, and kept a root checker apk on my sd card to speed it up. Also, I unchecked the verify apps over USB. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

Time to send my donation. Thank you very much @zxz0O0

JediDru

Nov 10, 2010
Chicago
Perhaps I'm missing something. What is the secret to getting flashtool to recognize the ftf after you have moved it to the root of the firmwares folder and first open flashtool. A pop up tells me to move the file but it is already there. I love and loathe this hobby.

Seannnn

Jan 25, 2015
Perhaps I'm missing something. What is the secret to getting flashtool to recognize the ftf after you have moved it to the root of the firmwares folder and first open flashtool. A pop up tells me to move the file but it is already there. I love and loathe this hobby.

Your C:/flashtool/firmware folder should be empty. Place the firmware you want to use in /USERNAME/.flashtool/firmware

Reactions: xratablancax

shakan09

Jan 24, 2012
make sure you uninstall all java and re install fresh!! that was what was holding me up

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
6. Follow the instruction exactly as stated then proceed. , I dont see the instructions.
Of course my phone is at 0 .E. 1 .44 build, so that means I have to go back to the older build, do this root and then reflash to the 1 .44 build?

You completely skipped steps 1 and 2 because you're on the latest build. Step 6 is following the instructions that are listed within the exploit.bat.
You won't be reflashing the latest until you've followed through to the new list of steps that occurs after 9.

xratablancax

Oct 17, 2012
ROOT Z3V

This is how I did it. following GigaSPX's instructions

1. If you are NOT on stock shipped ROM, 23.0.E.0.376 / R15B, please download here
Downloaded the firmware
2. After having downloaded the FTF, please proceed to using the flashtool to flash your phone. Place your FTF in the firmware folder of the .flashtool folder to run from therein this process I found out that you don't want to just copy the files but use cut and paste. and I added the firmware i downloaded. You may uncheck Data from wipe.*
I turned the phone off, held volume down and connected the phone to the USB cable attached to the pc.

3. Download the files to root right here.
downloaded the root files but I actually downloaded these files http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60529402&postcount=232
4. Grab the Java Development Kit from here. To prevent issues, you may want to uninstall Java existing on your computer to do a fresh install of this.
5. Extract the zip of the root files into a place and then run exploit.bat.
when i reached this the phone asks to let your pc connect, then you click ok... (im assuming you have developer options usb debugging enabled and allow unknown sources checked) When the exploit stops, go to your phone and go to Developer options and click on Select Debug app and choose the test2app then enable "wait for debugger"
6. Follow the instruction exactly as stated then proceed.
because I used that those root files, the process ended here since that root runs automatically after the exploit ends. phone restarted and verizon will give you the OTA update, which BTW it doesnt make you loose root
7. Once it stops at a line saying "please continue to press any key", go back to the folder named as "root" and run root.bat from there.
8. Your phone will reboot from here and you will enjoy root. If it doesn't work, try again a few times while going to command prompt and enter the following line to do a fresh cleanup before trying again:

I hope this is not too confusing. if it is I apologize. let me know and I'll take it down so I don't confuse people more

JediDru

Nov 10, 2010
Chicago
xratablancax- After you run the exploit file the root one opens by itself? I am not having this. I have to manually open both the exploit once it is finished, I then have to click the root method to get that going. Trying to clarify. I haven't gotten past the Java Null error. I know a few folks that might have me do this for them and I would like to do it for them. Lets say I don't get it. Will I still receive an OTA to get back to the latest? Or will I have to build or find an FTF to do so. Thanks.

K

kfc.Android

Great write up!
Thanks for the time and effort you put on rooting our abandoned Z3v.
Really look forward to flashing the Pre-rooted firmware that you're about to made :)

Mountainfisher

Sep 10, 2014
Chattanooga

1. If you are NOT on stock shipped ROM, 23.0.E.0.376 / R15B, please download here
Downloaded the firmware
2. After having downloaded the FTF, please proceed to using the flashtool to flash your phone. Place your FTF in the firmware folder of the .flashtool folder to run from therein this process I found out that you don't want to just copy the files but use cut and paste. and I added the firmware i downloaded. You may uncheck Data from wipe.*
I turned the phone off, held volume down and connected the phone to the USB cable attached to the pc.

downloaded the root files but I actually downloaded these files http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60529402&postcount=232
4. Grab the Java Development Kit from here. To prevent issues, you may want to uninstall Java existing on your computer to do a fresh install of this.
when i reached this the phone asks to let your pc connect, then you click ok... (im assuming you have developer options usb debugging enabled and allow unknown sources checked) When the exploit stops, go to your phone and go to Developer options and click on Select Debug app and choose the test2app then enable "wait for debugger"
because I used that those root files, the process ended here since that root runs automatically after the exploit ends. phone restarted and verizon will give you the OTA update, which BTW it doesnt make you loose root
7. Once it stops at a line saying "please continue to press any key", go back to the folder named as "root" and run root.bat from there.
8. Your phone will reboot from here and you will enjoy root. If it doesn't work, try again a few times while going to command prompt and enter the following line to do a fresh cleanup before trying again:

I hope this is not too confusing. if it is I apologize. let me know and I'll take it down so I don't confuse people more

xratablancax- After you run the exploit file the root one opens by itself? I am not having this. I have to manually open both the exploit once it is finished, I then have to click the root method to get that going. Trying to clarify. I haven't gotten past the Java Null error. I know a few folks that might have me do this for them and I would like to do it for them. Lets say I don't get it. Will I still receive an OTA to get back to the latest? Or will I have to build or find an FTF to do so. Thanks.

What line of code

xratablancax

Oct 17, 2012

If you look at the link I provided, that gives your a different set of root files, one that the Exploit runs and right after root runs automatically.

VERY IMPORTANT... YOU NEED TO FLASH YOUR DEVICE TO STOCK ROM, YOUR DEVICE NEEDS TO BE IN ROM, 23.0.E.0.376, BACKUP DEVICE, FLASH THEN ROOT THEN OTA UPDATE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present to you all a formal guide to venture into one of the best smartphones in the market, the underdog to the other mass marketers, the Sony Xperia Z3v for Verizon!

*Please note I am not responsible for any bricking, destruction of your device, alien invasions, or any other problems. It is up to the user's choice to seek out what is done on your device on your own terms.*

This is the method I would recommend that's much quicker and efficient is Kingroot. I know there were some previous controversy about what could be behind Kingroot, but from what I will show here is using Kingroot as leverage to gain access quickly into my prerooted Lollipop firmware that can stand alone after removing Kingroot afterwards.

1. Have the Z3v in your possession.
    2. Google "Kingroot" and download for Android and run the rooting process there.
    3. Download "Superuser" from the Play Store to have the binary to run root fully. (Optional just in case the next step doesn't work)
    4. Install XZDualRecovery (grab the flashinstaller for the Xperia Z3) to install TWRP from here: http://nut.xperia-files.com/path/XZ...40vagg0tpcrnm1vlnt63je5&randomizer=_ehkq575vz
    (The link is subject to change, so if that happens, navigate through here: http://nut.xperia-files.com/)
    5. Download my new 5.1.1 prerooted Lollipop zip from my thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/...08-prerooted-lollipop-5-1-1-23-4-b-0-t3338967
    6. Access TWRP by opening an app called NDR Utils in your App Drawer
    7. Flash my zip through the install button and now you'll be on the latest prerooted stock build of Lollipop with a few mods.

Optional Step 8. Uninstall any traces of Kingroot from your phone and you're good to go. This step may already be done for you after you flash the prerooted because reportedly there were already no traces left behind. Enjoy!

Thanks to the following people:
    @zxz0O0, for achieving root for our Z3v
    @jal3223, for helping me as much as you can to guide me through myself
    @[NUT], for the custom recovery to install onto our Xperia devices

Please hit thanks for the all in one guide to freedom!
    ROOT Z3V

Downloaded the firmware

Just a quick questions to gain clarification as this is the only thing preventing me from fully committing to rooting my z3v.
    When downgrading firmware will the process factory wipe my device or will all my apps, contacts, texts, photos, etc. stay in tact through the downgrade?
    When downgrading, you can choose to keep your Data. Which is pretty much everything that's on board including Apps.

@GigaSPX - have you (or anyone else) found any benefits (bug fixes) by updating to the latest firmware? I have everything debloated and setup, so I'm trying to debate if it's worth the trouble.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/xperia-z3v-1-20-15.pdf
    This is basically everything you need to know about the latest update that's been present so far. One thing you would really notice is killing off the What's New icon when you hold the Home key, but if you debloated that, not much else I can say. I think there was also the annoying popup every time you get a call about lack of data, but yep. That's the most significant changes you can see there.
    I've tried multiple times, but I'm getting stuck at the root stage. Once the JDB starts it scrolls really fast with lines of commands, then gets stuck with

I uninstalled Java and reinstalled it, but still nothing. Any ideas?

I had the same problem. You need to open the JDB.ini in your root folder. Then literally copy and paste the section of the word "classes" until you have about 100 or so of them. It will go through.
    Oh No, I vowed to stop messing with my phones....:eek: