[GUIDE]How To Run A RUU

Search This thread

Flashalot

Jun 7, 2012
Chicago
General Information
From time to time while While Looking Through The Question & Answering Section I See At lest 3-5 Threads Talking About "How Do I get Back To Stock" Or "How Do I Run A Ruu" Now Most (Hopefully) Already Know How To Do This But To Those Who Don't Or Just Want To Review On What To Do Then To Day Is Your Lucky Day

Prerequisites
  1. HTC One S (This Guide Can Be Used For Most HTC Phone Just Don't Use The Stock Recovery )
  2. Ruu For Your Phone Or What Ever Floats Your Boat
  3. Stock Recovery
  4. Windows Computer
  5. Fastboot Drivers
  6. Android USB Cable
  7. Over 50% Battery Life
  8. About 15-30 Min Of Your Time

Getting the RUU
Let's Start Of By Getting Your Ruu
I Would Get RUU From Here Android RUU
Get The RUU That matches your carrier If you are S-Off/SuperCID,
you can run any RUU. Otherwise it must match those or it will not run.
So Grab Your Ruu For Your Phone Then Proceed To The Next Step

Testing FastBoot
So For Your Phone To Go In To Ruu Mode To Go Back To Stock You Will Need Fastboot Hopefully You Have It Installed Already But If Your Doubtful And Don't Think You Have It Then...
Boot in To Bootloader With VolDown+Power Button
Go To Your FastBoot Folder Click On The Folder With CTRL And Right Clicking The Mouse And And Type The Following Commands

Code:
Fastboot devices

You Should Get This

Code:
HT24RW406168    fastboot

Or some Thing Along Those Lines If Not Then DownLoad HTC Drivers I will Provide You With A Link On Where To Find Them

Flashing Stock Recovery
NOTE If You Have No Custom Recovery Then And You Are On Stock Recovery Then You Do Not Need This Step

Now We Will Need To Flash Stock Recovery For The Ruu To work Good Thing For You It Is In The Zip I Have Provided For You
Look For The Zip At The Bottom Of The Thread And Flash It In Recovery After You Have Flashed It In recovery Then Reboot To Bootloader

Running Your Ruu
Now IF You Have Gotten This Far Then Its Time For You To Run Your Ruu So
Have Your Phone In Bootloader > Fastboot Then Double Click The Ruu And Let It Run
Now it May Take Some Time For It To Load Up Complete Normal After It Has Gone In To
It Will Give You Some Info Just Go Past It And Once You Get To The End With Your Phone
Plugged In Give It The Finely OK And Let The Ruu Do Its Magic
Now Your Phone Is In A Delicate State So If You Remove The Cable OR Any Thing Should Happen Your Phone Will BRICK
Once It Is Done It Will reboot Your Phone And You Will Be Stock Again.

Files/Info
HTC Drivers
Stock Recovery For Ville Only
Go Back To **LOCKED*

krige

Jan 23, 2011
Thanks a lot! This guide is very useful.

I got stuck when trying to install the Flash Stock Recovery. I currently have a TWRP v2.4.1.0. When I flash the zip file of the stock rom you provided I got the following error messages (see also the attached screenshot):
Code:
E:Unable to mount '/sdcard'
E:Unable to recreate android secure folder.
Updating partition details...
E:Unable to mount storage.
E:Unable to mount /sdcard during GUI startup.
E:Unable to mount /sdcard when trying to read settings
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/StockRecovery.zip'

Any idea on how I could fix this?

Flashalot

Jun 7, 2012
Chicago

I got stuck when trying to install the Flash Stock Recovery. I currently have a TWRP v2.4.1.0. When I flash the zip file of the stock rom you provided I got the following error messages (see also the attached screenshot):
Code:

looks like your SD is corrupted if so you will have to wipe it

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk

dd98

May 19, 2013

Code:

If your on HBOOT 2.16, use the TWRP use the recovery that came with Maximus or this recovery. For HBOOT 2.15, use the latest TWRP on their page

Reactions: krige

krige

Jan 23, 2011
If your on HBOOT 2.16, use the TWRP use the recovery that came with Maximus or this recovery. For HBOOT 2.15, use the latest TWRP on their page

I am on HBOOT 2.15 with TWRP 2.4.1.0. Following your suggestion I downloaded "twrp-2.7.0.8-ville.img" from here and flashed it using fastboot.

Once in TWRP 2.7.0.8 I was able to successfully flash cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7-ville.zip and gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip but once I boot the phone I get into a screen with thin blue lines and some blinking cyan lines (I believe that's CM logo corrupted animation). See the attached screenshot.

Trying to wipe the cache and dalvik cache and flashing again didn't fix it.

Any other suggestion?

dd98

May 19, 2013
I am on HBOOT 2.15 with TWRP 2.4.1.0. Following your suggestion I downloaded "twrp-2.7.0.8-ville.img" from here and flashed it using fastboot.

Once in TWRP 2.7.0.8 I was able to successfully flash cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7-ville.zip and gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip but once I boot the phone I get into a screen with thin blue lines and some blinking cyan lines (I believe that's CM logo corrupted animation). See the attached screenshot.

Trying to wipe the cache and dalvik cache and flashing again didn't fix it.

Any other suggestion?

Yeah that happened to me before, not sure why but I dont know how to fix it, maybe someone else does

krige

Jan 23, 2011
Furthermore, my computer doesn't seem to recognize the phone with the new TWRP: when I plug it to it a message dialog says the drivers where not successfully installed. I tried installing HTCDriver_4.2.0.001.exe and HTC_BMP_USB_Driver_x64_1.0.5375.msi from here and even the full HTC Sync Manager from the HTC web site but none of them solved the problem. I've run out of ideas...

krige

Jan 23, 2011
Same results with CWM 6.0.4 and TWRP 2.7.1.0a, no drivers found and thin blue lines after flashing CM.

I have extracted the img file from the zip of the stock kernel linked in the first post and flashed it through fastboot. Then I followed the instructions to install the stock ROM in the first post, using the RUU RUU_Ville_U_TIM_IT_1.78.901.6_Radio_0.16.31501S.17_2_10.23.31501S.10L_release_261961 , but the procedure never ended. I left it running the whole night but when I checked it in the morning the application was still running and the phone was displaying the HTC logo (see the attached screenshots).

Last edited:

krige

Jan 23, 2011
I have just noticed my phone is S-ON (see the attached screenshot).

As the instructions in the first post suggest to "Get The RUU That matches your carrier If you are S-Off/SuperCID", what should we do if we are S-ON? Should we get to S-Off first?

Here is the fastboot getvar all output:
Code:
version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
version-baseband: 1.15.50.05.29
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main:
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
product: vle
platform: HBOOT-8960
modelid: PJ4010000
cidnum: VODAP102
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 4167mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: on
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

Last edited:

krige

Jan 23, 2011
Summing up these are the current problems I am having:

- Windows does not recognize the phone when it is plugged to it in recovery mode because it can't find the drivers (the phone is recognized under Linux though)

- the phone is S-ON: I am not sure which procedure I should follow as all the guides I find around are for S-Off versions, I don't know whether I should first get into S-Off first (if that is even possible)

- I don't know how to choose the right RUU for my phone. I gathered I should choose the RUU according to my CID, that is VODAP102 but none of the files in the Android RUU page mentioned in the first post seems to match it.

- There seems to be no RUU for VODAP102 only a Nandroid Backup. I managed to copy it on the phone from a computer with Linux, in the sdcard directory, but I don't know how exactly I am supposed to install it. On CWM there is a "backup and restore" entry: when I choose "restore from /storage/sdcard0" it tells me "No files found" (see the attached screenshot). Am I supposed to extract the content of the zip file?

- I don't know whether the phone should be locked or unlocked while running the RUU nor whether that really matters.

Last edited:

dd98

May 19, 2013
if you can, go s-off and change your CID to HTC__001 (EU CID). Assuming your vodafone in europe, you should have no problems with mobile networks, if your not in EU then don't do this

krige

Jan 23, 2011
I have tried obtaining the supercid following this guide but I got stopped at step 3 because of the following error:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p4
dd: can't open '/sdcard/mmcblk0p4': No such file or directory

I tried with sdcard0 and sdcard1 but nothing changed.

cat /etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p34 /cache ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p35 /data ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p33 /system ext4 rw

I tried mounting the sdcard from the recovery (CWM 6.0.4.8) but I got another error:
Code:
error mounting /stoarge/sdcard0

Here is the output of dmesg.

I have been told there is 99% chance the flash is burned because of the following two lines:
Code:
<6>[    5.190538] mmc0: new high speed DDR MMC card at address 0001
<6>[    5.196337] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 MAG2GA 14.5 GiB
That's because the HTC One S apparently uses a Samsung flash, model MAG2GA, which has a known bug similar to the S3 one.

Do you concur? Should I trash the phone?

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jeeza

Dec 28, 2011
Padova
Hi! I'm on hboot 2,16...do i need to revert to 2,15 to run a RUU?

Other info:
S-off
Supercid
TWRP

I need to pass the phone to my father, want to give him stock ;)

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Flashalot

Jun 7, 2012
Chicago
Hi! I'm on hboot 2,16...do i need to revert to 2,15 to run a RUU?

Other info:
S-off
Supercid
TWRP

I need to pass the phone to my father, want to give him stock ;)

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
No you should be good if you get a error it maybe from your cid all you would have to do is just change it to the ruu your running

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    General Information
    From time to time while While Looking Through The Question & Answering Section I See At lest 3-5 Threads Talking About "How Do I get Back To Stock" Or "How Do I Run A Ruu" Now Most (Hopefully) Already Know How To Do This But To Those Who Don't Or Just Want To Review On What To Do Then To Day Is Your Lucky Day

Prerequisites
    1. HTC One S (This Guide Can Be Used For Most HTC Phone Just Don't Use The Stock Recovery )
    2. Ruu For Your Phone Or What Ever Floats Your Boat
    3. Stock Recovery
    4. Windows Computer
    5. Fastboot Drivers
    6. Android USB Cable
    7. Over 50% Battery Life
    8. About 15-30 Min Of Your Time

Getting the RUU
    Let's Start Of By Getting Your Ruu
    I Would Get RUU From Here Android RUU
    Get The RUU That matches your carrier If you are S-Off/SuperCID,
    you can run any RUU. Otherwise it must match those or it will not run.
    So Grab Your Ruu For Your Phone Then Proceed To The Next Step

Testing FastBoot
    So For Your Phone To Go In To Ruu Mode To Go Back To Stock You Will Need Fastboot Hopefully You Have It Installed Already But If Your Doubtful And Don't Think You Have It Then...
    Boot in To Bootloader With VolDown+Power Button
    Go To Your FastBoot Folder Click On The Folder With CTRL And Right Clicking The Mouse And And Type The Following Commands

Code:
    Fastboot devices

You Should Get This

Code:
    HT24RW406168    fastboot

Or some Thing Along Those Lines If Not Then DownLoad HTC Drivers I will Provide You With A Link On Where To Find Them

Flashing Stock Recovery
    NOTE If You Have No Custom Recovery Then And You Are On Stock Recovery Then You Do Not Need This Step

Now We Will Need To Flash Stock Recovery For The Ruu To work Good Thing For You It Is In The Zip I Have Provided For You
    Look For The Zip At The Bottom Of The Thread And Flash It In Recovery After You Have Flashed It In recovery Then Reboot To Bootloader

Running Your Ruu
    Now IF You Have Gotten This Far Then Its Time For You To Run Your Ruu So
    Have Your Phone In Bootloader > Fastboot Then Double Click The Ruu And Let It Run
    Now it May Take Some Time For It To Load Up Complete Normal After It Has Gone In To
    It Will Give You Some Info Just Go Past It And Once You Get To The End With Your Phone
    Plugged In Give It The Finely OK And Let The Ruu Do Its Magic
    Now Your Phone Is In A Delicate State So If You Remove The Cable OR Any Thing Should Happen Your Phone Will BRICK
    Once It Is Done It Will reboot Your Phone And You Will Be Stock Again.

Files/Info
    HTC Drivers
    Stock Recovery For Ville Only
    Go Back To **LOCKED*

Code:

It appears that the most recent RUU for your CID is for version 2.40.666.1 which is Android 4.0:
    Code:
    RUU_Ville_U_ICS_40_S_BM_2.40.666.1_Radio_1.09ts.50.02.04_10.08g.50.04L_release_280275_signed.exe

You can find it here: http://androidruu.com/?developer=Ville

Then you'll have to apply the updates proposed by the OS.

My piece of advice: change your CID to something like Europe version (HTC__001). Then you'll be able to apply a more recent RUU and have latest official update (heartbleed fix). For the CIDs list: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2139447
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone