• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to run SD version of CM7.1 on HTC Desire S (fried emmc chips too).

Search This thread

kibril

Feb 28, 2012
I designed this version of the system for my broken phone with fried emmc chip. This disk can be used in the working devices as "Recovery Disk"/"Emergency Disk" for testing purposes or other google's account))

1. Get “adb” and “fastboot” from Android SDK tool.
2. Prepare a blank memory card (Micro SD 4GB and more) for recording an image of the system.
3. Download the system image to a memory card sdcard_4g.rar.
4. Decompress/unrar archive, and u get the image of the SD card sdcard_4g.img.
5. Write image to your sdcard with:
Linux:
Code:
dd if=/path_to/sdcard_4g.img of=/dev/sdX
”, where X your device.​
Windows:
Write image with Image writer for Windows to Micro SD card​
Experts can make own sized partitions with this structure:
Code:
sdb1 – fat32 (rest size) the external storage
sdb2 – extendet partition
sdb5 – ext2 – 4MB
sdb6 – ext2 – 4MB
sdb7 – ext4 – 585MB /system
sdb8 – ext4 – 315MB /cache
sdb9 – ext4 – 28MB /devlog
sdb10 – ext4 – about 1-1.2GB /userdata
then decompress and copy system.7z:
Code:
dd if=/path_to/system.img of=/dev/scX7
, where X your device.​
6. Dowload bootloader's image “bootsd.img”.
7. Boot your phone to “BOOTLOADER” (VolDown+Pwr → Pwr).
8. Connect device to computer via USB cable.
9. Boot your device:
Command line
Code:
fastboot boot /path_to/bootsd.img
Wait 3-5 minutes (The 1st boot can take some time, depend on speed of memory card).​

If all goes well, you get the device working without using the phone's internal memory!!!

Good Luck!!!

PS: Be careful the image of the memory card will erase all existing information on it! Select the correct device before recording an image on the memory card. The author assumes no responsibility for the integrity of your data and equipment damage!
If you think the author's helpful, buy him a beer!

Booting from "Recovery":
To launch an android from the "Recovery", copy the "update.zip" to your memory card at root directory of the fat32 partition. In the "RECOVERY" select "apply update from sd card" and confirm "install" by selecting "Yes - Install ...". Installing update.zip only starts the Android system from the SD card. Now you can run the system without a PC.
This method is suitable to run in an emergency, if discharged or the phone needs a restart. He uses the chroot method and kernel in your RecoveryMod, so there may be some limitations of the functional (ex. WiFi module bcm4329.ko - wifi dont work after boot from Recovery).

Last edited:

kibril

Feb 28, 2012
Now I'm working on others ROMs based on CM7.2 and ICS... Waiting for your replay:)
Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda app-developers app

Reactions: fosco_

kibril

Feb 28, 2012
Mini howto)

U can modify the contents of the memory card directly through the card reader. U need a PC with Linux only, because Android - a Linux + virtual machine Dalvik. Now you do not need "RECOVERY" to clear/wipe the cache or user data. Simply delete unnecessary or format /cache or /date partitions, without fear of damaging the data on your phone, you can always restore from an image memory card, or take another card.
Change "/system" partition to add/remove programs, sounds, pictures and more right on the disk.
PS: Howto about progamming, compiling kernel or android... It's not a trivial task, it can be described in several books. And the principles have been repeatedly described in the Internet. I may write later. Still a lot of things I can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: smutax

kibril

Feb 28, 2012
Mostly Devices can boot by this way, if they have MicroSD or USB port. This is "Linux way".

Sent from my HTC Desire S with fried EMMC Chip using xda-developers app

rakmok

Sep 16, 2011
Hyderabad
Awesome! it is working! I almost got my phone boot after 10 months. THANK YOU SO MUCH!. Is it possible to directly boot into SDcard after rebooting?

kibril

Feb 28, 2012
Im working on boot from the Recovery. U need SD Card Class 10 or 6 to quick booting phone.

Sent from my HTC Desire S with fried EMMC Chip using xda-developers app

tetotarek

Nov 8, 2011
Great !!

for me it works !! i got my phone back after 3 months of death :)
but there is small problem ! when i switched it off then turned it on it gets stuck on HTC logo
and i have to do the last few steps again and again to turn the HTC on.

"7. Boot your phone to “BOOTLOADER” (VolDown+Pwr → Pwr).
9. Boot your device"

is there any way to avoid this ??

Many thanks for you man :)

Xevios

Jul 12, 2012
Not running

Hey
When I try to run this on my branded desire S I get stuck at the carrier screen, if I try to boot via recovery method I get an sd card mount error, I have tried writing this to my sd card in both linux and windows.
Thanks

kibril

Feb 28, 2012
U have problem in sdcard slot. I have same problem after service. Place correctly MicroSD in the slot.

Reactions: Xevios

kibril

Feb 28, 2012
how can i do this ??
i copied it the SD card and tried to install it from recovery mode but nothing happened

and another thing ,, is there any way to enlarge the free space of my SD card
its 16 Giga and after writing the system image on it it turned to 1.79 G only.

Thanks

Try boot from fastboot 1st time. About 16G make own sized partitions or u can resize partitions in Gparted/parted under Linux.

tetotarek

Nov 8, 2011
Try boot from fastboot 1st time. About 16G make own sized partitions or u can resize partitions in Gparted/parted under Linux.

Now I can restart / shutdown my phone perfectly by your suburb solve ( update.zip )
also i partitioned my SD card so now the external memory is about 12 Giga

Many thanks man you rooked my life :)

tetotarek

Nov 8, 2011
Important thing

Now, and after couple of days using my desire s, i can say that everything works great and perfectly except two important things :(

1- it can't read any of Pic's files that i copied it on my SD card from PC - when i open the gallery it says - there is no items - despite when i capture photo from the camera he can read it and i can find it in the gallery !!

2- it can't read any of music files that i copied on my SD card also

i tried everything but it seems it is something unsolvable.

Any ideas ??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I designed this version of the system for my broken phone with fried emmc chip. This disk can be used in the working devices as "Recovery Disk"/"Emergency Disk" for testing purposes or other google's account))

1. Get “adb” and “fastboot” from Android SDK tool.
    2. Prepare a blank memory card (Micro SD 4GB and more) for recording an image of the system.
    3. Download the system image to a memory card sdcard_4g.rar.
    4. Decompress/unrar archive, and u get the image of the SD card sdcard_4g.img.
    5. Write image to your sdcard with:
    Linux:
    Code:
    dd if=/path_to/sdcard_4g.img of=/dev/sdX
    ”, where X your device.​
    Windows:
    Write image with Image writer for Windows to Micro SD card​
    Experts can make own sized partitions with this structure:
    Code:
    sdb1 – fat32 (rest size) the external storage
    sdb2 – extendet partition
    sdb5 – ext2 – 4MB
    sdb6 – ext2 – 4MB
    sdb7 – ext4 – 585MB /system
    sdb8 – ext4 – 315MB /cache
    sdb9 – ext4 – 28MB /devlog
    sdb10 – ext4 – about 1-1.2GB /userdata
    then decompress and copy system.7z:
    Code:
    dd if=/path_to/system.img of=/dev/scX7
    , where X your device.​
    6. Dowload bootloader's image “bootsd.img”.
    7. Boot your phone to “BOOTLOADER” (VolDown+Pwr → Pwr).
    9. Boot your device:
    Command line
    Code:
    fastboot boot /path_to/bootsd.img
    Wait 3-5 minutes (The 1st boot can take some time, depend on speed of memory card).​

If all goes well, you get the device working without using the phone's internal memory!!!

Good Luck!!!

PS: Be careful the image of the memory card will erase all existing information on it! Select the correct device before recording an image on the memory card. The author assumes no responsibility for the integrity of your data and equipment damage!
    If you think the author's helpful, buy him a beer!

Booting from "Recovery":
    To launch an android from the "Recovery", copy the "update.zip" to your memory card at root directory of the fat32 partition. In the "RECOVERY" select "apply update from sd card" and confirm "install" by selecting "Yes - Install ...". Installing update.zip only starts the Android system from the SD card. Now you can run the system without a PC.
    This method is suitable to run in an emergency, if discharged or the phone needs a restart. He uses the chroot method and kernel in your RecoveryMod, so there may be some limitations of the functional (ex. WiFi module bcm4329.ko - wifi dont work after boot from Recovery).
    I don´t know, but i can get to bootloader.

I tell you my brick story. I had HTC Desire S with official unlocked bootloader, official ICS and root. One morning i restarted my phone and then not start. So i thought, that i have problem with rom, so i installed custom rom and still freezes at the HTC logo. For my misfortune I have no backup.If you can help me to solve it, I will immensely grateful to you.

U can try this method via usb cable and fastboot, but u cant boot without PC via "Recovery mod".
    PS: I'll write Howto build custom ROM to from SD Card... I cant build custom ROMs to all versions and devices.
    Now I'm working on others ROMs based on CM7.2 and ICS... Waiting for your replay:)
    Mini howto)

U can modify the contents of the memory card directly through the card reader. U need a PC with Linux only, because Android - a Linux + virtual machine Dalvik. Now you do not need "RECOVERY" to clear/wipe the cache or user data. Simply delete unnecessary or format /cache or /date partitions, without fear of damaging the data on your phone, you can always restore from an image memory card, or take another card.
    Change "/system" partition to add/remove programs, sounds, pictures and more right on the disk.
    PS: Howto about progamming, compiling kernel or android... It's not a trivial task, it can be described in several books. And the principles have been repeatedly described in the Internet. I may write later. Still a lot of things I can do.
    U have problem in sdcard slot. I have same problem after service. Place correctly MicroSD in the slot.