[GUIDE] How To S-Off; Permanent Root; Custom Recovery

Search This thread

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
You are right, I did the OTA before the root attempt then attempted the root then flashed the custom recovery and later I tried S-off using firewater (the free tool)
If I understand you correctly, then you took the 4.4.4 OTA and attempted to root and flash the custom recovery - and both failed. I just don't get what makes you think you have root and/or a custom recovery????

loonatik78

Feb 20, 2011
What the hell are you talking about? :D

As my sig indicates, my One M8 is S-off, unlocked, and rooted. Weaksauce and Firewater are the tools that did the job.
It was one of the easiest S-off/root jobs I've ever done on a phone. Sure as hell beat sticking wires into holes in the back of the phone at just the right moment like what you had to do to the Rezound.

Last edited:

Adham L. Alfy

Oct 25, 2014
If I understand you correctly, then you took the 4.4.4 OTA and attempted to root and flash the custom recovery - and both failed. I just don't get what makes you think you have root and/or a custom recovery????

I have a nexus 7. I rooted it, flashed a custom recovery & installed custom roms & stock roms on it before.

On my htc, I already have Superuser installed gruanting access to 4 apps
I do have custom recovery installed (I believe it's called TWRK)
So, when I ask for assistance, you either provide me with a solution or you just pass if you are unable to instead of telling me that I think I have root and custom recovery
Anyways, I guess I know the reason why it didn't work. I believe it is because I updated the software via OTA then tried to root, S-off & flash custom recovert. I'll have to wait until forewater is updated

I don't know what's wrong with this forum! It used to be more helpful!

gtdtm

May 23, 2012
I have a nexus 7. I rooted it, flashed a custom recovery & installed custom roms & stock roms on it before.

On my htc, I already have Superuser installed gruanting access to 4 apps
I do have custom recovery installed (I believe it's called TWRK)
So, when I ask for assistance, you either provide me with a solution or you just pass if you are unable to instead of telling me that I think I have root and custom recovery
Anyways, I guess I know the reason why it didn't work. I believe it is because I updated the software via OTA then tried to root, S-off & flash custom recovert. I'll have to wait until forewater is updated

I don't know what's wrong with this forum! It used to be more helpful!

Or you're asking the wrong questions. Firewater is no longer being supported. If you are already s-off, you are set, flash recovery and super user and be on your way. If you aren't s-off, your only true root method right now is with Sunshine s-off. People are trying to help you, but you haven't provided enough information about how you got to where you are, or where exactly you are for that matter.

Adham L. Alfy

Oct 25, 2014
Or you're asking the wrong questions. Firewater is no longer being supported. If you are already s-off, you are set, flash recovery and super user and be on your way. If you aren't s-off, your only true root method right now is with Sunshine s-off. People are trying to help you, but you haven't provided enough information about how you got to where you are, or where exactly you are for that matter.

Well, I'm not asking the wrong questions! if you check the thread you'll find I have written what I've done in detais and in order but you don't seem to read the while posts (You're still telling me "if I'm S-off") and my question is about my inability to S-off!! Anyways, I got what I wanted to know. But as I said earlier, you guys stopped being helpful the way you used to be.... All you could have said is firewater is no longer working!

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

This post is suposed to be a tutorial. So, you should expect questions from people who lack knowledge on the matter. Your duty as a decent forum members is to provide answers for such people instead of mocking them! Otherwise, you can simply disable replies in the thread!

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I'm not asking the wrong questions! if you check the thread you'll find I have written what I've done in detais and in order but you don't seem to read the while posts (You're still telling me "if I'm S-off") and my question is about my inability to S-off!! Anyways, I got what I wanted to know. But as I said earlier, you guys stopped being helpful the way you used to be.... All you could have said is firewater is no longer working!

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

This post is suposed to be a tutorial. So, you should expect questions from people who lack knowledge on the matter. Your duty as a decent forum members is to provide answers for such people instead of mocking them! Otherwise, you can simply disable replies in the thread!
Makes me wonder why I waste my time trying to help.....

gads1

Nov 14, 2009
you are either S-OFF or not. please confirm at bootloader and look for status above HBOOT version section.

If have latest OTA and S-ON, you are stuck and nothing free will work.

On to sunshine.

ps -- be nicer to people giving away free assist and time.

[
QUOTE=Adham L. Alfy;56603234]So now I followed everything properly. I already have rooted my HTC One M8, I have custom recovery & I did unlock my bootloader..... However, when I went for Firewater S-off step, I finally got a message in the terminal telling me that my phone was "Patched by HTC"... So, I guess my phone is still S-On... I know that because I tried Freedom.apk and it reboots my phone each time I start it..

P.S.
1) I made the last update from the phone settings (OTA you call it?) To the version where they've added new features to the camera.
2) I didn't do the step of flashing the "Insert coin" thing
3) Is there a chance to get this thing working turning my S-off? What step did I miss? And is it reallu true I can't get it done because HTC patched Firewater exploit?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013

You're wrong on almost all of your points.

You should never ask questions unless you have to, if you actually read the thread you would have noticed that firewater hasn't worked in quite a while and sunshine was the most recent option. Sunshine doesn't even work on the newest firmware. If you posted more detailed information on your issue, including your exact firmware number you probably would've been provided a better answer.

Just because this is a tutorial thread doesn't mean "please post questions that have already been answered because they relate to the topic". Nobody is required to give you answers to anything, so don't expect it.

Apparently you eventually decided to research the answer for yourself, so why even ask in the first place? It doesn't make sense.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Adham L. Alfy

Oct 25, 2014
Thank you

Well, I was provoked by the way people around here treat you like an idiot without helping you. I've written that I've already unlocked my bootloader, rooted & installed custom recovery but I can't S-off. And I've added that I've done all this after the OTA update to the last version and S-off firewater tool showed a message of "device patced by HTC"... My question was is there another way to S-off or am I stuck? No one gave me the answer to the question I've asked! Instead they started questioning that I did the root and bootloader unlock. Why are you asking me to be nice and not them?! Besides, I never offended anyone! All I said was that forum used ti be more helpful. It's my opinion based on the support I got

Thanks Gads1 anyways for your positive and helpful reply. Wish the rest of the angry members act like you instead of complaining about my critique

loonatik78

Feb 20, 2011
Just to be clear about how I got S-off with firewater.....

I picked up my M8 Friday (11/7/14). On my way home it attempted to update the software. I didn't let it. It was running 1.55.605.2 software. Knowing your software is generally the first step to doing something like this. If you're a beginner at this, it probably a good idea to put the version numbers of your HBoot, Radios, software version, and Android version in your signature. That information is pretty much mandatory when it comes to troubleshooting problems.

surfmly

Jul 13, 2011
San Diego
new M8 received - ready to s-off, etc

Hi all,

Just received my M8. I have not turned it on yet. The box it came in says software version is 1.55.605.2 which I believe is the 4.4.2 version that should still work with the process in this thread. I will confirm the OS when I turn it on for sure, but assuming it has been boxed up for a few months I hope I should be OK.

Here is my question. We all know VZW will try and push the new OTA (4.4.4) which is not unlockable/rootable (yet) so I want to ovoid that OTA like the plague (or ebola ;) ). When I turn the phone on it is going to want me to activate it on the VZW network. However, I wonder if I could try and get S-Off first, PRIOR to activating the phone on the VZW network since that would mean the dreaded 4.4.4 OTA would never be applied by accident.

Does anyone know if you can do something like this (the process from OP) on a phone without active 'service', and if having an S-OFF phone would cause any issues with activating the phone onto the VZW network afterwards?

Thanks.

finanandroid

Oct 11, 2010
Virginia
Hi all,

Just received my M8. I have not turned it on yet. The box it came in says software version is 1.55.605.2 which I believe is the 4.4.2 version that should still work with the process in this thread. I will confirm the OS when I turn it on for sure, but assuming it has been boxed up for a few months I hope I should be OK.

Here is my question. We all know VZW will try and push the new OTA (4.4.4) which is not unlockable/rootable (yet) so I want to ovoid that OTA like the plague (or ebola ;) ). When I turn the phone on it is going to want me to activate it on the VZW network. However, I wonder if I could try and get S-Off first, PRIOR to activating the phone on the VZW network since that would mean the dreaded 4.4.4 OTA would never be applied by accident.

Does anyone know if you can do something like this (the process from OP) on a phone without active 'service', and if having an S-OFF phone would cause any issues with activating the phone onto the VZW network afterwards?

Thanks.

You can go ahead and activate your phone, as soon as vzw prompt u for the OTA, instruct to install it a later time, you can
be specific in this one with the time, hours ahead that would you like it to be installed, inclusive you can back to setting
system update and reschedule the installation. So you have the time to Unlock, s-off, root your device.

Second : you can pull out the SIM card and Turn On your device, set it up through Wifi since there is not Sim card, root your phone insert your sim card and activate the phone. there will not any issue because what need to be activated is the Sim card not the phone. Hope this answer your question.

usb7

Aug 7, 2010
When you got your HTC M8 what Android version was it running?

gleggie

Jan 13, 2013
Weird issue: TWRP fastboot flash didn't work for me, only CWM worked. I kept getting "error: cannot open TWRP.img"

Anyone have any ideas? I personally prefer TWRP over CWM

Last edited:

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
My brother just got this phone and is luckily running 4.4.2. After reading this thread, I just want to make sure I advise him correctly. Is this correct:

1) Try Firewater. May or may not work. If doesn't work, try Sunshine for $25.
2) Once S-off, install TWRP using flashify and flash SuperSU to root.
3) Update firmware and radios using normal methods.
4) Flash your heart out!

gleggie

Jan 13, 2013
My brother just got this phone and is luckily running 4.4.2. After reading this thread, I just want to make sure I advise him correctly. Is this correct:

4) Flash your heart out!

I'm in your same position and would also like to know the answer to this, mine came with 4.4.2
So far, firewater worked for me and i'm S-Off rooted with CWM installed (for some reason TWRP wasn't working for me).

Just updated to the latest firmware and radios, waiting for the green light to flash away lol

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I'm in your same position and would also like to know the answer to this, mine came with 4.4.2
So far, firewater worked for me and i'm S-Off rooted with CWM installed (for some reason TWRP wasn't working for me).

Just updated to the latest firmware and radios, waiting for the green light to flash away lol
Watcha waiting for? :D
If you are on the 4.4.4 firmware and have a custom recovery installed you're ready to go.

4) Flash your heart out!
Not quite...
1) yes
2) once S-off you have a few options here:
a) take the 4.4.4 stock OTA before you flash TWRP or make any changes to your system
b) use dottat's RUU.exe to update to 4.4.4
c) flash the 4.4.4 firmware from Tigerstown's thread in fastboot.

3) No matter what method you use, eventually you will have to flash TWRP in fastboot. Flashify needs root and you don't have that until you flashed SuperSU in recovery. Once rooted you can use Flashify to flash recoveries if you want. I would recommend you use fastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Achieve Permanent Root and S-Off:

To get permanent root, you need to S-Off. So lets start with that first. This process will NOT wipe your device. It also works for OS X users. This guide will work on software version 1.55.605.2 (which as of 04/19/2014 is the latest OTA) and below.

--- S-OFF Instructions ---​
    First, you'll need to download adb, enable its use and setup debugging.
    1. adb is part of the android SDK. You can download it here (OS X users must scroll down and download the OS X version). It does not need to be installed, just unzip it into its own folder. You can also download a zip that contain only adb and fastboot.
    2. once you have adb, you'll need to download the drive for your M8, which can be had from HTC's driver page:
      http://www.htc.com/us/software/htc-sync-manager/.
      Then install it. It will install the driver necessary for adb to work. After the installation is finished, uninstall HTC Sync immediately (do this regardless of whether or not you need it; you can reinstall it later if you still want it). This will leave the driver package installed, but remove HTC sync.
    3. Now, back to the phone. Disable all security you have on, including PINs, Pattern Locks, passwords, etc. If you have an exchange forced security policy, you will need to disable the account. You can readd it later.
    4. Enable access to developer options. Jump into the Settings. Then you’re going to scroll down to the bottom and tap on ‘About’, next tap on ‘Software Information’. Now you’ll need to tap on ‘More’, which will give you a new menu. Now just tap on the build number 9 times and you’ll enable Developer options.
    5. Go into developer options menu and enable USB Debugging.
    6. Next, go to Security page and enable "Unknown sources".
    7. Now install weaksauce from here:
      http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699089
    8. If you followed the directions correctly, you should have SuperSU installed and root access. (You can use superuser as well).
    9. Plug in your phone into your computer. Its best to use the factory cable provided with the phone. Use a USB 2.0 type port if possible (USB3.0 ports typically have a blue tab; I have personally used a USB 3.0 Device on Windows 8.1u to perform this without any problems, but your mileage may vary).
    10. Your phone will ask if you if you trust your computer (RSA). Choose "Always Allow".
    11. Ensure adb is working by opening a command prompt (terminal on OS X), navigate to the adt-bundle-[XXXXX]/sdk/platform-tools and typing "adb devices" without quotes. Your phone should show up. Ensure the working directory is the directory that adb is in. Otherwise, transferring firewater may fail. On Windows, you can shift-right-click inside the folder adb is in and click open command prompt to open a cmd in that directory.
    12. Now go download firewater from here:
      http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/ Make sure to use the weaksauce method (second method). Do NOT use the temproot method.
      The firewater file should be called "firewater" without any quotes or extensions (like .bin). Ensure your browser did not partially download or corrupt it.** Make sure its in the same folder as adb. Then follow directions on the firewater site. Be aware the yes/no prompt is case sensitive, so make sure to answer it with an uppercase Y as in "Yes" not "yes". During the process, you will need to enable adb shell to get root. Make sure your phone screen is on so you can see the root request. Grant it and the S-Off process will continue. Otherwise, it will hang there and eventually time out. Sometimes, the process will fail and the phone will reboot. This is okay. Just restart the process. It can sometimes take multiple tries.
    13. When completely successfully, you now have S-OFF. Your phone's bootloader is also unlocked in the process; you do NOT need to perform any additional steps to unlock the bootloader. However, you do not have permanent root. The root that weaksuace provides goes away on reboot and must be reapplied again on startup.
    **The filesize seems to vary depending on what OS/browser is used to download it. It should be around 4,519,496 (on disk) in size. If you can't execute firewater, try redownloading it.

Getting permanent root:
    -Flash a custom recovery and flash a zip with su.
    -[Optional] Return to stock recovery This option is for people who don't want a custom recovery.
    Be aware, once rooted and S-Off'ed, you do NOT need the kernel module that enables system write access*. All system changes will survive hard reboots (adb reboot).

-- Recovery Rooting: --​
    1. Move the supersu zip onto your internal sdcard. It can be downloaded here:
      http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
      You can use Superuser as well. Its your preference, but this guide uses SuperSU.
    2. Uninstall weaksauce. It's no longer needed.
    3. Uninstall SuperSU. It will be reinstalled when you flash the supersu zip. If you have SuperSU Pro installed, you can leave that in place, as that app only holds a key.
    4. From adb, type:
      adb reboot bootloader
    5. Flash a custom recovery. CWM and TWRP are available. Use the fastboot method. Follow the directions here:
      TWRP - http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/226
      CWM - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708520
    6. Reboot into Recovery
    7. Flash the supersu zip you downloaded.
    8. Reboot and you're done. You have s-off and permanent root.
    You can delete the downloaded supersu zip off your internal sdcard; its not longer needed.

-- Manual Root --
    Perform all steps noted in section "Recovery Rooting" above.
    -Download the stock recovery:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2723112
    -Ensure the stock recovery img file is in the same folder as fastboot.
    -Run the following command from command line: "fastboot flash recovery stockrecovery.img" without the quotes.
    -Wait for the process to finish
    -Reboot the phone. You now have the stock recovery along with root. With the stock recovery installed, you can now accept OTAs provided you haven't modified/deleted any stock system files. Any new OTAs you take will remove any files/folders you added to the system partition and will remove your root. However, with S-off, this can be undone. If you lost loot after taking an OTA, simply start from the beginning of the section "Recovery Rooting".

-- Common Tweaks --
    All of these are optional and are NOT required. However, you may find some benefit to them.
    -- Wifi Tether Enabled --
    This is unnecessary if you are on a More Everything plan or are paying for hotspot/tethering. You can force enable the native tethering application:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708548
    -- Device Wipe after ten attempts --
    I really dislike this "feature". Here is how to disable it. This works regardless if you enabled the security or its mandated by an exchange policy.
    I use Root Explorer to make this change, but you can use any text editor. Make sure to mount system as R/W. Root explorer can do this from within the app.
    Edit this file:
    /system/customize/ACC/default.xml
    change this:
    Code:
      <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">10</item>
    to this
    Code:
      <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">0</item>
    Reboot and its disabled.
    -- Power Saver Mode --
    Enable "Power Saver" mode using these directions. It's disabled and hidden by default.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701909
    -- *Unsecured Kernel --
    By default, the stock kernel prevents write access to /system. S-off and root should allow you to makes changes to system. However, some people have reported difficulties using ROM toolbox and other mods (like changing boot animations). In some cases, these issues can be resolved by flashing an insecure kernel:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708686
    -- HTC Sense Broswer --
    The stock ROM now includes Chrome as the default browser and omits the Sense Browser. Users who prefer the Sense Browser can download it here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708597
    -- HTC Flashlight --
    The stock HTC flashlight app.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2697025
    -- Disable HTC Sync Virtual CDROM --
    This disables the virtual CD-ROM from mounting.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709386

-- Donations --
    Don't forget to donate to the developers involved in getting you here. Donations for firecracker go to firewaterdevs@gmail.com (paypal). Donations for weaksuace go to HTCWeakSauce@gmail.com (paypal). If I missed anyone, let me know.
    FAQ​
    Been getting some interesting PMs. Here is some of the popular questions.

Do I need a Java card for this?
    No. You just need a PC/Mac, a USB 2.0 cable and the M8. Since a public S-off method is now available, that method is obsolete and its not recommended anymore.

Do I have to change or reset my CID?
    No, that is only necessary for people who s-off'ed via a Javacard.

Do I need to do any of this if I S-off'ed via Javacard?
    No, this method ends with the same result.

Can I reverse this and return to completely stock?
    Yes, absolutely none of the stuff done here is permanent. You can unroot, relock the bootloader, and S-On as many times as you want. You can flash an HTC RUU to return to completely stock in one go. Note: Be careful with S-On'ing a device. If you S-On a device via a newer RUU and that RUU has no known exploits, you may not be able to S-Off again until an exploit is found.

Do I need to unlock my bootloader after this?
    No, the firewater exploit will S-Off and unlock your bootloader.

Will this work on a Mac?
    Yes, please read the directions more carefully.

Will this work on USB 3.0 ports as that is all I have?
    Usually. On OS X, I've had success using a USB 3.0 port (since recent MBPs only include USB 3). On Windows, the answer seems to be maybe, depending on your OS. Your best bet would be to try on a Windows 8,8.1,8.1u1 machine as that OS includes native support for USB 3.0; that way you aren't relying on vendor specific driver support like on Win7 or below. I have personally done this exploit on USB3 on a Surface Pro.

Will this brick my phone?
    There is always a chance, but I have honestly never heard of such a thing happening. Worst case is usually a full reset of the phone.

Will this wipe/format the external SDcard?
    No.

How do I flash this via ODIN?
    This has absolutely nothing to do with ODIN. That is for Samsung devices. You should not even have ODIN running when do any part of this guide.

How to I convert to a Google Play edition ROM?
    Wait for a developer to make one. I will post a link here if/when that happens.
    See here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2716306

Does this affect Google Wallet or ISIS?
    Yes and no. Google wallet works just fine. ISIS will detect its rooted and refuse to work. You'll need to shield root from ISIS to use it. Directions on how to do that can be found via google.

Will this work on non-Verizon HTC M8's?
    Yes, though you will need to use a different recovery.

Will this unlock my device for other carriers?
    No....because your device is already unlocked in its stock form. AWS band rules force Verizon to keep all their LTE devices unlocked.

Will this jailbreak my device?
    No. Wrong type of phone.

I can get red triangle exclamation mark with a black screen. How do I fix this?
    You are in the stock recovery. Hold power and volume up and you will get a menu. You can choose reboot system now to get out of there.

Makes me wonder why I waste my time trying to help.....
    Yeah, nvm, it's fine now. When I first connected it via debugging, I didn't hit the "Always allow" option on my phone, so after the adb reboot it wasn't allowed to reconnect. Just had to disable debugging and re-enable it, it's all set now.

Cool. I'll add that to the guide.
    Im happy to see that s-off was achieved and Im going to unlock my phone right now

but quick question, I'm new to this s-off stuff so I don't know how it works entirely.
    But once we unlock the bootloader

is there any way to lock it again in case we need to send the phone to HTC?

sorry for the noob question but just a question that popped into mind.
    Absolutely. Everything in this guide can be reversed. You can return everything back to stock via an RUU.

So I don't quite understand. I am S-off with the Unofficial CMWR from InvisibleK and I flashed SuperSU zip v1.94. Do I need the system write access kernel module to write to system or no?
    Great guide by the way. Thanks
    You do not. I have modified and added a few system files and they have persisted through several hard reboots.