[GUIDE]How to safely root MJA 4.3

Search This thread

Ryjon90

Apr 24, 2009
Sorry. I seem to have mislead. Just ran the steps again. Let me go through the steps I actually took.

- I do run Steps 1 & 2 from OP
- Boot up and verify root
- Flash Philz recovery

I then flash a ROM and for some reason here is when my Super SU flips out and says binaries are outdated, but wont update in app. It is here that I flash the other file I linked.

I was getting my steps mixed up. But I have followed steps from this post 3 times now with success. I am a bit puzzled as to why it appears to lose root (if that is indeed what is happening) after I flash a ROM.

jeremyglass

Sep 8, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
Sorry. I seem to have mislead. Just ran the steps again. Let me go through the steps I actually took.

- I do run Steps 1 & 2 from OP
- Boot up and verify root
- Flash Philz recovery

I then flash a ROM and for some reason here is when my Super SU flips out and says binaries are outdated, but wont update in app. It is here that I flash the other file I linked.

I was getting my steps mixed up. But I have followed steps from this post 3 times now with success. I am a bit puzzled as to why it appears to lose root (if that is indeed what is happening) after I flash a ROM.

That is my problem.....I can not verify root.

Ryjon90

Apr 24, 2009
Well when I flash a rom it fails to verify and then flashing the other file fixes it... but I already have a custom recovery flashed. I can't say if its ok to just flash a recovery pre verifying root or not. Not sure I see any issues with it but I dont want to be responsible.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Counterfeit7485

Dec 21, 2007
FINALLY have root.....ok this is what I did.....
1. Download This and put it on your SD card
2. Use odin 3.xx to install a custom recoveryin download mode(yes you can do this before you have root!) I installed philz recovery but as long as it is .tar or .md5 recovery it should work with odin
3. Boot phone to recovery and install supersu zip
4. Boot and check root....after booting I had to install supersu from the play store and update binaries but it actually worked!

Hope this helps everyone!

Last edited:

sdpluth

Jun 13, 2012
San Diego
2. Use odin 3.xx to install a custom recoveryin download mode(yes you can do this before you have root!) I installed philz recovery but as long as it is .tar or .md5 recovery it should work with odin
4. Boot and check root....after booting I had to install supersu from the play store and update binaries but it actually worked!

Thanks! Definitely will give this a try tonight.

maestro2mil

Apr 2, 2008
I have had my Sprint SPH-L720 device since Black Thursday, 11-28-13. First tried the CF-Auto Root and tripped Knox, plus didn't work. Second attempt using ODIN 3.07 failed too. Third attempt used this post, didn't work. Then did full reset of phone. Decline'd every pop-up that said "Google will check for harmful behavior", when finished, SU Root app was in Apps and opened without "no binaries error". Downloaded RootChecker App (by joeykrim) from Google Play store, ran and voila! Root!

Next steps, followed this post instructions:
1) Download philz_touch_6.00.8-jfltespr.tar.md5 from http://d-h.st/users/philz_touch/?fld_id=18376#files
2) Installed via ODIN 3.07, select "Auto Reboot" & "F. Reset Time" in Odin 3.07.
3) From PDA choose tar file downloaded in step 1.
4) Waited for reboot, waited about 2-3 minutes for "Pass" notification in Odin
5) Power down phone.
6) Unplugged USB from phone, press Volume-UP + Power for several seconds until blue-red-yellow words.
7) CWM 6.x is working!

Note: the hardest part for me was getting root on my 4.3 MJA OTA updated phone. Everything else worked flawlessly from the posting. This is just a quick summary of my success, follow full posting by galaxys3man30 for full guide.
Device: SPH-L720, Ver: 4.3, Baseband: L720VPUEMJA.

I hope this post helps some of you running into the same difficulty I have and those of you who may fear installing CWM6 on your SGS4 variant.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremyglass

sdpluth

Jun 13, 2012
San Diego

I finally got a chance to give this method a shot and it worked great! I

I followed these instructions for everything except I installed TWRP recovery. No problems.

Thanks to everyone!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cjever19

May 31, 2013
This worked for me on MK2. Had to Odin CF-Auto-Root first, then Odin CWM 6.0.4.4. Had Cyanogen mod ready to install on sdcard. Went straight from Odin/download mode to Recovery, flashed Cyannogen 10.2 and Gapps, :good::)

Tracker Tim

Mar 9, 2011
I had a hardware issue and had to get a new S4 from Sprint. I can not get my new MJA to root. I have tried everything above with no luck. Any ideas?

Installed Philz
Tried Cf Autoroot via Odin
Tried Su directly to sd card
Reset phone and tried all the above

Thanks, Tim

Last edited:

Tracker Tim

Mar 9, 2011
I had a hardware issue and had to get a new S4 from Sprint. I can not get my new MJA to root. I have tried everything above with no luck. Any ideas?

Installed Philz
Tried Cf Autoroot via Odin
Tried Su directly to sd card
Reset phone and tried all the above

Thanks, Tim

Tried Odin 1.85 instead of 3.07 and it worked. Go figure?

Last edited:

ZuperBlahq

Mar 22, 2011
Alexandria
doesnt work on my phone. i just bought it and 4.3 was installed when they activated it at the store

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-03-00-10-03.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-03-00-10-03.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 408

aypanthony

Sep 7, 2010
This method works fine. No problems and root stuck the first time. I ended up installing Philz Recovery instead of TWRP or CWM. Flashed the MK2 hotspot mod and now I am as happy as a clam.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra
ok im confused about post #1 a bit
it is said that you can take an OTA if you "unroot"

so i am knox = -0x1
i just odin'd the stock official mk2 tar.md5 on these forums.

it says:
"settings>more>about device>SELinux status>Enforcing"
"settings>more>about device>Secure boot status>Samsung"
"settings>more>about device>status>Device Status>Official"

what would happen if i take an OTA?

Osiris19

Apr 4, 2011
I'm trying to root my friends S4 on the 4.3 OTA but whenever we try odin 1.85, it fails when PDA'ing CF auto root.

Added!!
Enter CS for MD5..
Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
Please wait..
CF-Auto-Root-jfltespr-jfltespr-sphl720.tar.md5 is valid.
Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
Leave CS..
Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Initialzation..
Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
recovery.img
NAND Write Start!!
Complete(Write) operation failed.
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Removed!!
Added!!

Somehow got it by rerunning it on Odin 3.07

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everyone.

Its has come to my attention that alot of people are having issues rooting the new OTA MJA 4.3. I have found the safest way to root MJA without any problems. Ive had several members test my method and it has worked on the frist try without any problems. I'm going to give my steps in a detailed way that it is very easy to understand and as well download links to what i used to root 4.3 MJA. Now here we go everyone.

Items Required

1. A GS4 on the 4.3 MJA OTA
    2. Laptop or desktop
    3. USB cord
    4. ODIN 3.07
    5. CF Root
    6.CWM 6.0.4.4(Comfirmed working on the I9000 and I9505 for restore backups without any issues)

DISCLAIMER: I am not at fualt for anything happening to your phone. If you follow my guide word for word you want have any issues. Note this well still trip the knox counter to 0x1. As there is no way to stop this from happening at this time.

STEP ONE

First things first download all the files you need from the links below. While thats do that grab your S4 and hold the power button down until the menu pops up and select power off and hit ok. Now make sure you let the device power down fully before doing anything esle or you will have issues. Once powered down fully take ur phone and press and hold the power+volume down until you see green words on the screen and hit the volume up button to continue and now your in download mode.

STEP TWO

Now find CF Root file you will have to open the zip with 7zip. Now start ODIN 1.85 and now connect your device to your computer via the USB cord. You should see a yellow box with the word COM in it doesn't matter what the number is. Now hit the PDA button and select the CF Root tar file. Then hit start and dont unplug the USB cord until it says pass in odin. It will reboot and let it reboot fully and go to your app drawer and check and make sure SuperSU is in the app draw open it and update it. Now go to play store and download rootchecker app and verify that you have root.

STEP THREE

Once you have verified your rooted now hold the power button down wait for the menu to pop up and hit power off the device dont forget to let fully power down and now hit the power+volume down and wait for the green letters to pop up and hit the volume up to continue in to download mode. Now open ODIN3.07 and then hook your device back to your computer wait for the yellow or blue box with COM and any number and go to PDA button and select the CWM 6.0.4.4 tar file and hit the start button and wait for ODIN to say pass which now with the new bootloader it adds a extra 2 min to the boot time so the phone boot and sit until odin says pass and now you are rooted and have a custom recovery. Now power down the device and wait for it to finish powering down for the last time and press and hold power+volume up until you see blue,red and yellow words in the top left corner and now your in your custom recovery and now make a backup so if anything happens you have something to fall back on. Cuz your on 4.3 now until furture notice theres no returning to MF9 the bootloader will not let you go back if you try to you will tons of problems and headaches trust me ive seen the posts.

Now you have successfully rooted and put a custom recovery on your S4 with the 4.3 MJA update. If having any issues plz dont be scared to ask i will do what i can help you. ENJOY!!!!

THANKS
    @Chainfire for CF-Auto-Root and SuperSU
    Clock Work Mod for CWM 6.0.4.4 Devs of ODIN
    @mw86 for comfirming CWM 6.0.4.4 working on the I9000 and I9505 and 4.3
    @Kaito95 for the knox removel script
    @ktoonsez for the awesomeness of his kernel

TESTERS

@reverepats for letting me root his device @chris-allen
    @Kingmdm

LINKS/DOWNLOADS

CF-Auto-Root thread/download
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2291827

CWM 6.0.4.4 thread/download
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2322679

DE-SAMSUNGIZER MOD
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507931

ODIN 3.07 download
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1778755

Ktoonsz kernel thread/download with wifi fix
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47030804&postcount=1638

MY DOWNLOADS

TrulyClean_TEST3_v3.0.2_HARDCORE_NEW-MORE****_Knox_Only.zip

md5: 40f5427c0bcb4d2a9ffdecb4f63875aa
    url: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23203820527945828

Complete root package everything you need to root MJA

md5: ad7fd1f0787a48e0491a1de3c13c5c29
    url: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23203820527945829
    This guide will work if you take the OTA I dont think it will work if your have the the MF9 bootloader. I did unroot MF9 then I install the 4.3 OTA then rerooted after that. Sorry for all the confusion and problems everyone is having with this guide I should have been more clear.
    one more the road

Hey. So I'm on sacs awesome v8. Should I jump to 4.3? Do you notice any differences? Im thinking about getting the gear so u probably need to make the jump. Just going to miss some of the customizations. Was it an easy discussion for you?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Well here is my 2 cents on it. I know this device pretty good, and I notice a major difference in how things are with MJA. The visual changes were astounding after I updated, cause the display is so so much cleaner, I was so amazed. No lag, great smoothness in transitions and such. Also yes, you will need 4.3 for full gear support, but man I'll tell ya, we've made some good strides in the past few days with all the drama 4.3 dropped on us. YES, there are a few hoops to Jim thru to eat to MJA, and no, you cannot go back to MF9 at the moment, but Why would anyone expect this to all to be so easy eventide is crazy.
    Today wth security concerns, and tech getting more and more advanced, things are bound to change. I don't thnk this update is worth selling the S4. Only got UF working on his rom update FOR MJA and he also got a flashable for the modems if your still on MF9, which people said couldn't be done. You got Sac already workng on MJA, and a few others helping us out as well. CNexus, likearaptor, ect.....
    So my conclusion to my Trolling, Off-topic, subject for cancelation of my account possibly lol, It's all p to you. If you wanna experience Google and Sammy 's newest edition for or device, and have full support for your Gear, then yes, go for it. But f you can't live without some hardware tweaks, themes, ect.. For a week or so, then I would say no. Dude, you should know me by know. You think I like running the StockUI lol? NOOOOOOOOO lol...

Edit... And Primo, This is all after in used THIS method to gain 4.3. It's really very easy. You have me on Hangouts if ya need me, and Teddy here is a frakken awesome guy, he'll help you out for surr if needed

**Sorry Teddy lol, I'll erase this all if you like**
    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk