[Guide] How to set up fastboot/adb to be used in system wide command prompt Windows

Search This thread

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Philly
I see a lot of tools for installing fastboot/adb easily on your PC but I havent found any updated how-to's that show you how to install it manually using Google newest fastboot/adb binary they release separately from the SDK tools. So i wanted to fix that! We will be adding their locations as Environmental paths in cmd. This all will be shown on Windows 10

To start off, download the fastboot/adb bianarys from the xda article below (writen by Mishaal Rahman back in January)
XDA Article with fastboot links
- Extract the fastboot/adb binary fold "platform-tools" to a out of the way folder (I recommend a folder named "Android" in the root of the C drive like so C:\Android\)
Capture.JPG
- Goto Control Panel> System and Security > System
Capture2controlpannel.JPG
Capture3systemandsec.JPG
- Under "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" click "Change settings"
Capture4system.JPG
- From this new window go to the "Advanced" tab then at the bottom click "Environment Variables"
Capture5SystemProps.JPG
Capture6advanced.JPG
- In the new window under the "System Variables" section, double click "Path"
Capture7envirmontal.JPG
- In this window click "New" and put in the location of your platform-tools folder we extracted and put aside earlier
Capture9beforeadd.JPG
- (Example: Mine looks like C:\Android\platform-tools)
Capture8entered.JPG
- Press enter and it should be the newest entry at the bottom.
- Click okay and REBOOT YOUR PC
- Now you have to latest fastboot/adb binary installed system wide!
Test this by just pressing the windows key and type cmd. in the command line type "fastboot" This should return you with all the other available fastboot commands.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited:

reggjoo

Jul 12, 2011
Pgh
I've installed everthing(whole sdk, tools, and all) on Linux. Is this article to be updated on that? I got tired of all the extra work that windows requires for setup, and I do everything thru Ubuntu now.

Last edited:

wodinotus

Apr 5, 2017
Reactions: eqbirvin

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
That is alot of work when just dropping the needed files in the main Windows directory will do the same thing without the instability of variables.

m00head

Feb 2, 2016
That is alot of work when just dropping the needed files in the main Windows directory will do the same thing without the instability of variables.

There is a risk that any files placed into the main Windows directory will be lost when Windows is upgraded, because the way a Windows 10 upgrade works these days is to effectively create a new Windows installation. The previous main Windows directory is renamed 'Windows.old' before being deleted automatically after 30 days.

So far, there have been 3 new upgrade versions of Windows 10 since the RTM was launched in July 2015 (1507):
  • November 2015 (1511)
  • July 2016 (1607)
  • March 2017 (1703)

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
There is a risk that any files placed into the main Windows directory will be lost when Windows is upgraded, because the way a Windows 10 upgrade works these days is to effectively create a new Windows installation. The previous main Windows directory is renamed 'Windows.old' before being deleted automatically after 30 days.

So far, there have been 3 new upgrade versions of Windows 10 since the RTM was launched in July 2015 (1507):
  • November 2015 (1511)
  • July 2016 (1607)
  • March 2017 (1703)
Ahhh yes I forgot about that as windows 10 isn't used anywhere I use a pc that has windows on it.

Another reason to use Linux when dealing with Android.

Reactions: Ge B

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
Its not too much work i just wrote every step i could out for simplicity sake.

Your instructions were as they should have been. Detailed. If you so it this way, this is the way it should be done.

I just never recommend messing with the variables in a windows system. They can be temperamental at best. I also forgot about the windows 10 update setup (even though having to recopy the dlls to the windows directory a few times a year is not to bad if you think about it.)

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Philly
Your instructions were as they should have been. Detailed. If you so it this way, this is the way it should be done.

I just never recommend messing with the variables in a windows system. They can be temperamental at best. I also forgot about the windows 10 update setup (even though having to recopy the dlls to the windows directory a few times a year is not to bad if you think about it.)

That's understandable!
I haven't had to many issues as long as I maintain the Android work space.
It's definitely not that hard only a few times a year. But I'm on the technical builds so the updates to windows 10 roll in almost weekly right now.
Come to think of it it might not be bad to add your point and method to the OP

m00head

Feb 2, 2016
View attachment 4117058

- From this new window go to the "Advanced" tab then at the bottom click "Environment Variables"
View attachment 4117062

There is a quicker way to get straight to the "Advanced" tab on the "System Properties" dialog - simply choose "Advanced system settings" in the left hand column of the previous screen (System) instead of "Change settings".

Also, you can quickly get to the previous screen (System) without going via Control Panel, by pressing Windows key + [Pause/Break] keys together.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see a lot of tools for installing fastboot/adb easily on your PC but I havent found any updated how-to's that show you how to install it manually using Google newest fastboot/adb binary they release separately from the SDK tools. So i wanted to fix that! We will be adding their locations as Environmental paths in cmd. This all will be shown on Windows 10

To start off, download the fastboot/adb bianarys from the xda article below (writen by Mishaal Rahman back in January)
    XDA Article with fastboot links
    - Extract the fastboot/adb binary fold "platform-tools" to a out of the way folder (I recommend a folder named "Android" in the root of the C drive like so C:\Android\)
    Capture.JPG
    - Goto Control Panel> System and Security > System
    Capture2controlpannel.JPG
    Capture3systemandsec.JPG
    Capture4system.JPG
    Capture5SystemProps.JPG
    Capture6advanced.JPG
    - In the new window under the "System Variables" section, double click "Path"
    Capture7envirmontal.JPG
    - In this window click "New" and put in the location of your platform-tools folder we extracted and put aside earlier
    Capture9beforeadd.JPG
    - (Example: Mine looks like C:\Android\platform-tools)
    Capture8entered.JPG
    - Press enter and it should be the newest entry at the bottom.
    - Click okay and REBOOT YOUR PC
    - Now you have to latest fastboot/adb binary installed system wide!
    Test this by just pressing the windows key and type cmd. in the command line type "fastboot" This should return you with all the other available fastboot commands.

Feel free to ask any questions!

• November 2015 (1511)
    • July 2016 (1607)
    • March 2017 (1703)
    Hi,

Kind of a shameless plug here (mods, please remove my post if it truly is nothing but a shameless plug), but I actually made a video guide following almost the same steps mentioned in OP.

Here's the video:

Feel free (dear OP) to put this up on your first post as well, if you'd like to :)

Good luck with setting them up! :)
    What I did was copy the platform-tools folder into c:\program files. That way it works across updates and upgrades in windows. No need to modify the path variable either.:D

Its not too much work i just wrote every step i could out for simplicity sake.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone