[GUIDE] How to setup VPN for game streaming

Search This thread

mrl4214

Feb 21, 2010
I got VPN working on my shield... Quality is pretty good over LTE although with a lot more audio delay but that could just be LTE.

Step 1. Go to the Network and Sharing center and click the Change adapter settings button

M7fAThF.png

Step 2. Press file -> new -> New Incoming Connection. Mirror settings below

Select user that you use. This will have the same user/pass as your computer
Y30G4ly.png

Ort3mU7.png

9Vu3jhK.png

Step 3. Go to settings on your shield. Go to more -> vpn -> plus button (you may have to set a pin or pattern if you don't already)

Enter a name, your external ip address (or dynamic dns)

ipfpHSxh.png

Step 5. Open the port TCP 1723 and GRE on your router. On fios actiontec this can be found in Port Fowarding and using the "PPTP" preset service.

wOVtPyI.png

Step 6. Click the new VPN entry on your Shield. Login and if all goes well it should say "Connected" YAY!

rARBPP9h.png

Reactions: unisasquatch

PR0XIDIAN

Dec 20, 2011
Colorado Springs
Oh. My. God. I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!! My Galaxy Note ll has full bars of T-Mobile LTE at my job. (Speedtests of 40MB/s and above). My home internet is 170mb/s and above. This is PERFECT! (Also note that the G-Note ll has unlimited data tethering as I work for TMO lol).

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
I have unlimited tethering too! (As long as I use a vpn!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium HD app

unisasquatch

Aug 11, 2013
My isp is a jerk and I don't have access to the router configuration. Having the hardest time getting this set up since I have to tell them what to do over the phone. They apparently don't see anything on gre. Just Ip, forward port, and protocols TCP, UDP, and both

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified
My isp is a jerk and I don't have access to the router configuration. Having the hardest time getting this set up since I have to tell them what to do over the phone. They apparently don't see anything on gre. Just Ip, forward port, and protocols TCP, UDP, and both

this
Step 5. Open the port TCP 1723 and GRE (General Routing Encapsulation) on your router. On fios actiontec this can be found in Port Fowarding and using the "PPTP" preset service.

wOVtPyI.png

unisasquatch

Aug 11, 2013
I probably do not have the same router, so the configuration isn't going to be the same. either way, I'm doing it over the phone because my ISP won't give configuration privileges, even if you have your own router.

Last edited:

unisasquatch

Aug 11, 2013
I have a comtrend Nexuslink 3100u. Its the isp's provided modem/router.

I never got the GRE setting figured out. So I tried setting an IP range in the IPv4 properties of the incoming. I now have a VPN, but I still can't access my streaming PC.

Oct 12, 2011
I've noticed after I got connected through the VPN my geforce PC was coming up as offline when I looked but when I tried to launch steam it seemed to work and launch all my games, it can get a little funky though sometimes it just won't work other times it works fine

unisasquatch

Aug 11, 2013
Yup. I've been toying with it a bit now and I got it to work. I could probably use a bit more upload speed on the local side.

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
Am I reading this right? Does this allow usage of the streaming feature while not being local?

As mentioned above it says sound is way off, but what about the video?

unisasquatch

Aug 11, 2013
Am I reading this right? Does this allow usage of the streaming feature while not being local?

As mentioned above it says sound is way off, but what about the video?

My home internet runs the upload speed at 1mbps. Not great. If I run the hotspot from 3 bars of 4G on my phone to my shield, I can stream my pc games to my shield at a playable speed.

Oct 12, 2011
I seem to have a problem if I'm a certain distance from my house on 4g hotspot it always disconnects in the middle of a game, could it be because of my home internet connection

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
My home internet runs the upload speed at 1mbps. Not great. If I run the hotspot from 3 bars of 4G on my phone to my shield, I can stream my pc games to my shield at a playable speed.

That's awesome to hear, especially since in my experience my hotspots tend to have a higher latency than regular connections. By the way after the audio update how is the audio sync with video on your hotspot? What would you estimate your average latency to be from your input to action taking place in game?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got VPN working on my shield... Quality is pretty good over LTE although with a lot more audio delay but that could just be LTE.

Step 1. Go to the Network and Sharing center and click the Change adapter settings button

M7fAThF.png

Step 2. Press file -> new -> New Incoming Connection. Mirror settings below

Select user that you use. This will have the same user/pass as your computer
    Y30G4ly.png

Ort3mU7.png

9Vu3jhK.png

Step 3. Go to settings on your shield. Go to more -> vpn -> plus button (you may have to set a pin or pattern if you don't already)

Enter a name, your external ip address (or dynamic dns)

ipfpHSxh.png

Step 5. Open the port TCP 1723 and GRE on your router. On fios actiontec this can be found in Port Fowarding and using the "PPTP" preset service.

wOVtPyI.png

Step 6. Click the new VPN entry on your Shield. Login and if all goes well it should say "Connected" YAY!

rARBPP9h.png