• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] How to setup WireGuard with AzireVPN

Search This thread

Wo11ven

Jun 18, 2013
Edit: Easier guide.
Code:
Disclaimer:
AzireVPN is a third-party service that is currently providing free VPN for WireGuard users for an undetermined time.
I have no relation or association with the company. All rights reserved to the Azire team.
If you follow this guide, you are at your own risk. I'll not be held responsible for any damage.
What is WireGuard?
"WireGuard is an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. It aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPSec, while avoiding the massive headache. It intends to be considerably more performant than OpenVPN. WireGuard is designed as a general purpose VPN for running on embedded interfaces and super computers alike, fit for many different circumstances. Initially released for the Linux kernel, it plans to be cross-platform and widely deployable. It is currently under heavy development, but already it might be regarded as the most secure, easiest to use, and simplest VPN solution in the industry." - WireGuard Website

How can I use Wireguard?
To use Wireguard with your phone, you will need a kernel (or ROM) with WireGuard support. For this guide, we will focus on Z00A, since this is my device.
Currently we have Hololite and Holo Kernel for Z00A and Z008 by @nutcasev1.5 which supports wireguard.
After flashing the required kernel and booting the device, you will need to download the WireGuard app from Playstore.
Now we need to configure the VPN server. Currently AzireVPN is providing free access to WireGuard users for an undetermined time, to test their infrastructure. So we will use it.

To start, create an account on their website and then go to their WireGuard page and check the "Manual Configuration without Script" section. We will use that as a base.
Next, we will need cURL to obtain the required information from Azire to be able to connect to their service with WireGuard. If you are using Windows, you can download Git for Windows and use the git bash to execute the command. If you are on Linux, you can search how to install cURL for your distribution and do it normally.
Now we can proceed. Open the Wireguard app on your phone and touch the "+" and then "Create from scratch". Then, click on "generate" and save the public key generated.
3e990.jpg

Now we can execute the cURL command:
curl -d username=REPLACE --data-urlencode password=REPLACE --data-urlencode pubkey=REPLACE https://api.azirevpn.com/v1/wireguard/connect/se1
Replace all the "REPLACE" with the corresponding information: your Azire username, password and the public key we generated with the app.
pAjbIPk.png

If everything goes right, we will obtain a response close to this:
Code:
{

"status": "success",

"data": {

"DNS": "193.180.164.2, 2a03:8600:1001::2",

"Address": "10.18.1.182/24, 2a03:8600:1001:1080::10b4/64",

"PublicKey": "bdR5gm5vcrm9N9I7BeQqHOgrmQApSGIe9qc1homBjk8=",

"Endpoint": "193.180.164.60:51820"

}

}
With that, we can now configure the app.
  1. On interface, you can set any name you like.
  2. On Addresses, set the "Address" ip range from the response. E.g: 10.18.1.182/24. You can ignore the IPV6 stuff.
  3. On DNS servers, just copy the ip from the "DNS" response.
  4. Click on "Add Peer" and copy the "PublicKey" from the response to the Public Key area. Be careful if copy pasting, sometimes the last part of the key get striped off, so double check.
  5. On Endpoint, copy the "Endpoint" ip+port from the response.
  6. Set 0.0.0.0/0 on Allowed IPs.
  7. Set Persistent keepalive to 25 so we don't get delayed notifications while conected to the VPN.
  8. Click on the Save icon.
Example config:
aai13q.png

You can now go ahead and toggle the config we just created, if everything goes right, no error will be presented.
If you want to test if you are really connected, go to the Azire Website with your phone and request the desktop site. The message "Successfully connected to AzireVPN" should show at the top corner. The app also adds a quick tile to easily toggle on and off the VPN.

There you go! Now please keep in mind that Azire is offering their service for free and they can shut it down at any moment.

Last edited:

Wo11ven

Jun 18, 2013
Can access Netflix content with this?~
You mean blocked content? Sure, I guess. But you have to keep in mind that the available servers from Azire are limited, you can't choose the region. If you want anything specific, you will have to setup your own server or search for a paid service.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: Easier guide.
    Code:
    Disclaimer:
    AzireVPN is a third-party service that is currently providing free VPN for WireGuard users for an undetermined time.
    I have no relation or association with the company. All rights reserved to the Azire team.
    If you follow this guide, you are at your own risk. I'll not be held responsible for any damage.
    What is WireGuard?
    "WireGuard is an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. It aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPSec, while avoiding the massive headache. It intends to be considerably more performant than OpenVPN. WireGuard is designed as a general purpose VPN for running on embedded interfaces and super computers alike, fit for many different circumstances. Initially released for the Linux kernel, it plans to be cross-platform and widely deployable. It is currently under heavy development, but already it might be regarded as the most secure, easiest to use, and simplest VPN solution in the industry." - WireGuard Website

How can I use Wireguard?
    To use Wireguard with your phone, you will need a kernel (or ROM) with WireGuard support. For this guide, we will focus on Z00A, since this is my device.
    Currently we have Hololite and Holo Kernel for Z00A and Z008 by @nutcasev1.5 which supports wireguard.
    After flashing the required kernel and booting the device, you will need to download the WireGuard app from Playstore.
    Now we need to configure the VPN server. Currently AzireVPN is providing free access to WireGuard users for an undetermined time, to test their infrastructure. So we will use it.

To start, create an account on their website and then go to their WireGuard page and check the "Manual Configuration without Script" section. We will use that as a base.
    Next, we will need cURL to obtain the required information from Azire to be able to connect to their service with WireGuard. If you are using Windows, you can download Git for Windows and use the git bash to execute the command. If you are on Linux, you can search how to install cURL for your distribution and do it normally.
    Now we can proceed. Open the Wireguard app on your phone and touch the "+" and then "Create from scratch". Then, click on "generate" and save the public key generated.
    3e990.jpg

Now we can execute the cURL command:
    curl -d username=REPLACE --data-urlencode password=REPLACE --data-urlencode pubkey=REPLACE https://api.azirevpn.com/v1/wireguard/connect/se1
    Replace all the "REPLACE" with the corresponding information: your Azire username, password and the public key we generated with the app.
    pAjbIPk.png

If everything goes right, we will obtain a response close to this:
    Code:
    {

"status": "success",

"data": {

"DNS": "193.180.164.2, 2a03:8600:1001::2",

"Address": "10.18.1.182/24, 2a03:8600:1001:1080::10b4/64",

"PublicKey": "bdR5gm5vcrm9N9I7BeQqHOgrmQApSGIe9qc1homBjk8=",

"Endpoint": "193.180.164.60:51820"

}

}
    With that, we can now configure the app.
    1. On interface, you can set any name you like.
    2. On Addresses, set the "Address" ip range from the response. E.g: 10.18.1.182/24. You can ignore the IPV6 stuff.
    3. On DNS servers, just copy the ip from the "DNS" response.
    4. Click on "Add Peer" and copy the "PublicKey" from the response to the Public Key area. Be careful if copy pasting, sometimes the last part of the key get striped off, so double check.
    5. On Endpoint, copy the "Endpoint" ip+port from the response.
    6. Set 0.0.0.0/0 on Allowed IPs.
    7. Set Persistent keepalive to 25 so we don't get delayed notifications while conected to the VPN.
    8. Click on the Save icon.
    Example config:
    aai13q.png

You can now go ahead and toggle the config we just created, if everything goes right, no error will be presented.
    If you want to test if you are really connected, go to the Azire Website with your phone and request the desktop site. The message "Successfully connected to AzireVPN" should show at the top corner. The app also adds a quick tile to easily toggle on and off the VPN.

There you go! Now please keep in mind that Azire is offering their service for free and they can shut it down at any moment.
    Follow other guide

Hello: a simpler guide to accomplish the same thing exists here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-wireguard-android-ubuntu-t3723544

I'd suggest users follow this, rather than trying to futz with a shell script in Windows and the other over-complicated steps outlined.