• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Guide] How to systemlessly root your Pixel XL on Android 8.0 (SuperSU)

Search This thread

fiverings

Oct 2, 2014
I didn't finish reading the whole thread, so idk if you actually found out but I'll spill it anyway lol
When you boot to recovery and get the "No Command" thingy, just press the Power key first then Volume up (while still pressing the Power key), and you're in the recovery! Simple as that.

After you boot into twrp using fastboot, twrp will open. Then you need to flash twrp installer, then boot into system. Then open twrp and install SuperSU sr5 version. Boot into system and check for root. If you want to hide root, open twrp and flash suhide 109. Boot into system and use suhide correctly, open apps and clear cache & data from play store app, clear cache from play services.
You should be certified.

daddylonglegs

Oct 23, 2009
Vermont
Getting my pixel xl in tmr, Just wanna make sure these arr still the current steps for root.
Thanks!

Can confirm still current

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs

No. It's not current at all. The OP says you still can't install TWRP. You have been able to install TWRP for a while now.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Just as an additional data point. I've got a Pixel (sailfish) that was on 8.0 with October security patch. I just used flash fire to successfully apply the November OTA update. I still have root, suhide, Mario run works, as does Android Pay. After editing the build.prop file, I am again able to tether.

What settings are you using? FlashFire always says it detects the OTA, then it says "downloading" and stays at 0% forever. If I download the OTA manually and try to install it in Flashfire, it reboots, does some stuff in Flashfire, and when Android starts up again, it never updated!

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
No. It's not current at all. The OP says you still can't install TWRP. You have been able to install TWRP for a while now.

this is correct. see link below for my post on how to root pixel xl on 8.1. a few additional steps this time around.

note this assume that you already have an unlocked bootloader and all the requisite files downloaded amd in the correcr folders on your pc and phone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133/post74767123

Reactions: daddylonglegs

daddylonglegs

Oct 23, 2009
Vermont
this is correct. see link below for my post on how to root pixel xl on 8.1. a few additional steps this time around.

note this assume that you already have an unlocked bootloader and all the requisite files downloaded amd in the correcr folders on your pc and phone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133/post74767123

Thanks for these directions. I tried them but every time I try to flash supersu in TWRP I get an error that says "patching sepolicy failed". I have no password set and my files decrypt fine in TWRP so I am not sure why I am getting this error.

I googled the error but all I get are results from people who have different phones and the issue stems from something else. Any ideas what is causing it?

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for these directions. I tried them but every time I try to flash supersu in TWRP I get an error that says "patching sepolicy failed". I have no password set and my files decrypt fine in TWRP so I am not sure why I am getting this error.

I googled the error but all I get are results from people who have different phones and the issue stems from something else. Any ideas what is causing it?
do you have a pixel xl or pixel? ive heard people having issues with pixel... unclear why that is.

also did you do a clean flash of the factory image?

it took me a handful of tries to stick on my verizon pixel xl.

EDIT
many people have had success rooting with magisk. thats another option if supersu continues to fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: daddylonglegs

daddylonglegs

Oct 23, 2009
Vermont
do you have a pixel xl or pixel? ive heard people having issues with pixel... unclear why that is.

also did you do a clean flash of the factory image?

it took me a handful of tries to stick on my verizon pixel xl.

EDIT
many people have had success rooting with magisk. thats another option if supersu continues to fail.

Yeah it's the Pixel. Not the XL.

What error were you getting when you couldn't get it to stick?

GoldKobra17

Dec 9, 2017
Works on 8.1

Hi everyone, first time posting a guide here. I've started writing my own guides for the stuff I do to try and make it a bit more clear for myself, and I've decided to start sharing!

I literally just finished doing this on my own device, and I can confirm that it works with no issues; I'm passing SafetyNet and have root. However, as with all the other posts people make, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device! I don't think anything will happen, this process is very painless.

EDIT: It's been confirmed that SuperSu Config is not required for Android 8.0, as systemless SBIN is the default for 8.0. I had seen this before, but decided to do it anyway to be extra sure (I like the extra redundancy). I'm leaving the steps in in case others want to be extra sure of this, or want the options provided by the installer.

1) Download the modded TWRP
2) Download SuperSU
3) Download SuperSu Config
4) Download SuHide
5) Copy the modded TWRP to PlatformTools. Rename it however you like. I'm using twrp-oreo for now.
6) Copy SuperSu, SuperSuConfig, and SuHide to internal storage
7) Boot the device into bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
8) Boot into TWRP - fastboot boot twrp-oreo.img
9) Flash SuperSuConfig, then choose add more zips. Choose SuperSU.
10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.
11) Boot to system (Edit 8/28/17: DO NOT install TWRP, just boot to system)
12) Go back to bootloader and boot to TWRP
13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

UPDATE 10/2 The links for SuperSu and SuHide have been updated to the latest releases.

Just updated to 8.1 and can confirm it works on PIXEL XL

Reactions: teng247

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
I still cant get SuperSU to install
If i click install from the playstore it just fails
If i install from the zip / comon folder it just fails ?
Anyone else have this issue?

I've also tried reflashing 8.1 and installing Su via twrp as normal. It does root the phone but no su almost pointless.
I do see a failed to mount error at the very end of flashing

Last edited:

mancman

Jan 17, 2011
Munich
it is easier as you think

If you only want SU to work after you did the factory image without -w update do this:

1. DISABLE security pattern by going to
    Settings/Security & location/Screen lock
    Set to "None" or "Swipe"
  2. get TWRP twrp-3.2.0-0-marlin.img -> rename it to twrp.img
  3. use this version for a temp recovery boot via fastboot boot twrp.img
  4. flash SU
  5. flash SU hide

Enable security again.

Yes you don't have TWRP, but you got the latest Oreo version including root

Poebat

Jan 15, 2016
I tried installing xposed but it gave me an error saying that /system can't be mounted. But the supersu zip mounted it just fine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone, first time posting a guide here. I've started writing my own guides for the stuff I do to try and make it a bit more clear for myself, and I've decided to start sharing!

I literally just finished doing this on my own device, and I can confirm that it works with no issues; I'm passing SafetyNet and have root. However, as with all the other posts people make, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device! I don't think anything will happen, this process is very painless.

EDIT: It's been confirmed that SuperSu Config is not required for Android 8.0, as systemless SBIN is the default for 8.0. I had seen this before, but decided to do it anyway to be extra sure (I like the extra redundancy). I'm leaving the steps in in case others want to be extra sure of this, or want the options provided by the installer.

1) Download the modded TWRP
    2) Download SuperSU
    3) Download SuperSu Config
    4) Download SuHide
    5) Copy the modded TWRP to PlatformTools. Rename it however you like. I'm using twrp-oreo for now.
    6) Copy SuperSu, SuperSuConfig, and SuHide to internal storage
    7) Boot the device into bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
    8) Boot into TWRP - fastboot boot twrp-oreo.img
    9) Flash SuperSuConfig, then choose add more zips. Choose SuperSU.
    10) In the Aroma installer for SuperSuConfig, choose Systemless SBIN. For all other options, I chose let SuperSu decide.
    11) Boot to system (Edit 8/28/17: DO NOT install TWRP, just boot to system)
    12) Go back to bootloader and boot to TWRP
    13) Flash SuHide

And that should do it!

UPDATE 10/2 The links for SuperSu and SuHide have been updated to the latest releases.
    ok im at a lose of words. i had my pixel xl rooted and everything like that for awhile now with no issue. today i had an issue after trying to flash an OTA update. it wouldnt boot up, just go straight into TWRP. so i did a complete reset with the flash-all.bin.....lost all the pictures of my wife unfortnualy which im not happy about.
    but the phone is booting again now. but i cannot get superSU or even magisk on it at all. everytime it gets to the end process it shows failure-aborted. ive followed this process exactly, along with a few others online. im on 8.0 but i cannot even install the new sept update. so im assuming im still on 8.0 august. but im at a loss now i have no idea what im doing wrong ive been messing with this thing all day now and cannot get root to work sucessfully at all. any ideas? im starting to hate the damn pixel with the way google made it more difficult then it should be to root/rom i mean, isnt that the reason we all buy the nexus/pixel/google phones anyways

edit: in did try to run magisk first to give it a try since ive never used it. the "how to" i found for it said to get elementalX kernal. could that be causing superSU to not install? but even still magisk fails to install root too

1. Download the latest factory image to your computer, Platform-Tools folder
    2. Download TWRP 3.1.1-1. img for Pixel XL to your computer, Platform-Tools folder and rename it TWRP.img
    3. Download TWRP 3.1.1.-1.zip to your phone
    4. Download SuperSU 2.82. zip or Official Magisk for Pixel XL 14.3.zip to your phone
    5. Extract, the factory image and copy and paste flash-all.bat, radio.img, bootloader.img and the image.zip to the Platform-Tools folder.
    6. Edit the flash-all.bat file with a text editor remove -w and save it as flash-all.bat
    Removing the -w keeps your data.
    7. Open a command prompt
    8. Boot Bootloader on your phone and connect it to your computer
    9. Type flash-all at the command prompt.
    10. When it finishes booting, Boot the Bootloader
    11. Type fastboot boot twrp.img at the command prompt
    12. When TWRP opens, disconnect your phone from the computer tap install select the TWRP 3.1.1-1. zip file on your phone.
    13. Swipe to install
    14. When it finishes installing, tap the back button, tap reboot, tap recovery.
    15. When TWRP reboots, tap install select SuperSU.zip or Magisk.zip
    16. Swipe to install.
    You're rooted with the latest factory image. :)
    If you want to install a Custom Kernel or pass SafetyNet PM me.
    Is there a set of options you selected to use flashfire to make the OTA update work? Is there a guide somewhere?

Download the ota zip from Google. Open FF.
    Press +
    Select flash zip/ota
    Point FF to the ota zip
    Check the first box "auto mount". The third box, restore boot and recovery should be checked by default (this will probably overwrite twrp if you have it flashed, I don't know, don't have it installed). If this isn't checked check it.
    Click the check box at the top right
    Flash.
    Get a cup of coffee/sandwich, let FF do it's thing.
    It will boot once to the white google screen, then bootloop once.
    The second boot will take a while, there should be a little indicator under the google logo going left to right, KITT style. Be patient. The OS will boot updated.

If you have any problems,grab the factory image and follow the instructions in the OP.
    Thanks for the steps. Would you be so kind as to link all the files required? Also, can you elaborate on SuperSU removal please?
    There are several ways to get rid of SuperSU.
    1. Clean flash factory image.
    2. Fastboot flash boot and system image.
    3.Twrp flash osmosis SuperSU uninstaller zip.
    I can only tell you what I prefer.
    It's always, best practice, to start as fresh as possible.

1. Fastboot stock boot image and system image. Just flashing boot image doesn't get rid of all SuperSU files in system.
    2. Fastboot boot Twrp 3.1.1-0 image.
    3. Twrp install Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer image
    4. Reboot Recovery
    5. Twrp install Magisk 14.2
    6. Reboot system.

Osmosis unSU script zip
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133/post63615067

Twrp 3.1.1-0 fastboot image
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-3.1.1-0-fastboot-marlin.img.html

Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer zip
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.1.1-0.zip.html

Magisk 14.2
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589/post72588015

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

There are several ways to get rid of SuperSU.
    1. Clean flash factory image.
    2. Fastboot flash boot and system image.
    3.Twrp flash osmosis SuperSU uninstaller zip.
    I can only tell you what I prefer.
    It's always, best practice, to start as fresh as possible.

1. Fastboot stock boot image and system image. Just flashing boot image doesn't get rid of all SuperSU files in system.
    2. Fastboot boot Twrp 3.1.1-0 image.
    3. Twrp install Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer image
    4. Reboot Recovery
    5. Twrp install Magisk 14.2
    6. Reboot system.

Osmosis unSU script zip
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133/post63615067

Twrp 3.1.1-0 fastboot image
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-3.1.1-0-fastboot-marlin.img.html

Twrp 3.1.1-0 installer zip
    https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.1.1-0.zip.html

Magisk 14.2
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589/post72588015
    Since we are all in transition, going back and forth from Nougat to Oreo. One problem that could occur with the above is Twrp bootlooping or not sticking. One way to solve this is flashing factory images to both slots. (Best Practice)
    The other would be
    1. fastboot flash boot - -slot all boot.img

In my opinion, if you don't know what's in your inactive slot, you're doing it wrong.
    I didn't check all 27 pages but I tried this and busybox will not install. Any ideas?

Busybox has to be installed in TWRP via flashable ZIP.

The thread with the flashable zip is: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/themes/mods-android-oreo-aroma-installer-misc-t3666777
    ~> Or directly https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4260432&d=1504361721

If you need to remove busybox for whatever reason, a few threads down there is a busybox uninstaller zip file.

Cheers