Guide: How to turn LTE off (EASY)

Search This thread

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
Guide: How to turn LTE off

Turning LTE OFF can be very beneficial to the end user. Turning LTE off can boost your signal and save battery life in areas of weak LTE signal strength. HSPA+ and EDGE signals travel further than LTE signals. At the time of this writing, AT&T’s HSPA+ network performs very, very well. Most people have switched to LTE. It is very easy to pull 10mbps down on HSPA+. Therefore, if LTE is congested you can try out HSPA+ (AT&T calls this 4G). Some people also like to force the device to LTE only; this way they don't get calls, but can receive texts.

1. Open dialer
2. Dial *#*#4636#*#*
3. Device information
4. Scroll down and then choose your preferred network type:

• WCDMA Preferred = Your phone will prefer UMTS/HSPA or HSPA+. Will connect to EDGE if it has to. NO LTE.
  • GSM Only = If selected, your phone will only connect to EDGE (2G). You will be able to call, text, and use slow data.
  • WCDMA Only = UMTS/HSPA+ only. No EDGE, or LTE whatsoever
  • GSM/CDMA Auto= Will connect to either UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ or EDGE (which ever one is available)
  • LTE/CDMA Auto = Will only connect to LTE and UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+, NO EDGE
  • LTE/GSM/CDMA Auto = Will connect to LTE, EDGE, or UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+
  • LTE/GSM Auto = DEAFAULT SETTING
  • LTE Only = You will only have LTE. You cannot make calls under this setting. Good for those who want data and text capabilities.

Hope this helps!!! :D

Last edited:

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011

Turning LTE OFF can be very beneficial to the end user. Turning LTE off can boost your signal and save battery life in areas that don’t have good LTE signal strength. HSPA+ and EDGE travel further than LTE signals. At the time of this writing, AT&T’s HSPA+ performs very, very well. Most people have switched to LTE. It is very easy to pull 10mbps down on HSPA+. Therefore, if LTE is congested you can try out HSPA+ (AT&T calls this 4G).

• Open dialer
• Dial *#*#4636#*#*
• Device information
• Scroll down and then choose your preferred network type

o WCDMA Preferred = Your phone will prefer UMTS/HSPA or HSPA+. Will connect to EDGE if it has to. NO LTE.
o GSM Only = If selected, your phone will only connect to EDGE (2G). You will be able to call, text, and use slow data.
o WCDMA Only = UMTS/HSPA+ only. No EDGE, or LTE whatsoever
o GSM/CDMA Auto= Will connect to either UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ or EDGE (which ever one is available)
o LTE/CDMA Auto = Will only connect to LTE and UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+, NO EDGE
o LTE/GSM/CDMA Auto = Will connect to LTE, EDGE, or UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+
o LTE/GSM Auto = DEAFAULT SETTING
o LTE Only = You will only have LTE. You cannot make calls under this setting

Will the change last through a reboot or does it need to be changed every time the phone is restarted?

Br4nd3n

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks! I switched from the default to WCDMA preferred and seem to have a better signal where I live (on a mountain).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

alryder

Apr 15, 2012
Lansing, MI

• WCDMA Preferred = Your phone will prefer UMTS/HSPA or HSPA+. Will connect to EDGE if it has to. NO LTE.
  • GSM Only = If selected, your phone will only connect to EDGE (2G). You will be able to call, text, and use slow data.
  • GSM/CDMA Auto= Will connect to either UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ or EDGE (which ever one is available)
  • LTE Only = You will only have LTE. You cannot make calls under this setting. Good for those who want data and text capabilities.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't want to screw up my phone. Which would be the default in case I want to turn LTE back on?

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't want to screw up my phone. Which would be the default in case I want to turn LTE back on?

You will not screw your phone up, no matter which setting you choose. LTE/GSM Auto is the default setting. Once you select your preferred network it will not stick once you reboot your device anyway.

Reactions: alryder

yhe2x

Mar 3, 2011
isn't there a toggle switch or a widget that you can download from play store to do he same thing? just wondering

Ezizz46

Feb 7, 2015
Cannot turn off LTE with above instructions

When I try to follow the instructions, I dial the number and a pop-up appears with "USSD Code Running..." then it closes and a new pop-up appears saying "connection problem or invalid MMI code". I have tried to make this call from various areas with better connections than in my house, but still to no avail. I'd really like to disable the LTE because it is only strong enough to constantly force changes from 4G to LTE and back while massively draining my battery in the process. Any advice?

sakdroid

Mar 11, 2011
I upgraded from S3 to S5... In Out location there is one LTE tower.
When at office which is bit far from LTE tower, It only connects to LTE and due to congestion i always get 0.2 mbps only..
But When i had S3, it will switch automatically to 4G(HSPA+) at office and at home or shopping it connects to LTE.
So I called ATT support and they said its due to network congestion and they switched to 4G on their side.
So now its always shows 4G only no LTE but speed are good like 8 to 10 mbps..

I tried the steps in post1 and it shows WCDMA preferred... Is this what they modified remotely?

CCDillon

Feb 10, 2011
Try Intelli3G everyone, you have to install Xposed framework and then install it but this app is amazing for convenience.

sakdroid

Mar 11, 2011
I tried changing to LTE option its not allowing. I can change to other options other than LTE.
Any idea.. Is it controlled by AT&T?

I called ATT and asked them to change it to LTE.
Now I can change the settings as needed.

So if ATT sets to 4G, you wont be able to switch to LTE.

Last edited:

FlawleZ

Sep 16, 2012
San Antonio
Has anyone tried this lately? I know the old 4636 code worked on older galaxies buy I can't get my G900a to respond. Still on 4.4.2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Turning LTE OFF can be very beneficial to the end user. Turning LTE off can boost your signal and save battery life in areas of weak LTE signal strength. HSPA+ and EDGE signals travel further than LTE signals. At the time of this writing, AT&T’s HSPA+ network performs very, very well. Most people have switched to LTE. It is very easy to pull 10mbps down on HSPA+. Therefore, if LTE is congested you can try out HSPA+ (AT&T calls this 4G). Some people also like to force the device to LTE only; this way they don't get calls, but can receive texts.

1. Open dialer
    2. Dial *#*#4636#*#*
    3. Device information
    4. Scroll down and then choose your preferred network type:

You will not screw your phone up, no matter which setting you choose. LTE/GSM Auto is the default setting. Once you select your preferred network it will not stick once you reboot your device anyway.