• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to unbrick RN8 (won't boot only backlight turns on for a second) using EDL

Search This thread

mara91

Aug 27, 2020
Hi all, after lots of trial & error, I would like to share how I managed to unbrick my Redmi Note 8
original thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/need-redmi-note-8-firehose-without-authentication.4031513/
many thanks to dxD7 who provided valuable info on how this worked for him

WARNING: this process requires you to enter EDL mode which means you have to separate backplate and short 2 pins on motherboard so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! since its not quick&easy solution yet.. thanks Xiaomi! (n)

Symptoms:

• while pressing power button , the display backlight will turn on for approx a second and phone will vibrate and then turn off
  • while pressing power+volume- button, the phone will do the same as above but will show fastboot image for a second too
  • while phone is connected via cable its backlight will turn on for a second and thend turn off repeatedly..
tested on ginko, batch 2020.11 - but should work on other (older phones as well) not tested on 8T-willow but might work - some mention about it is in original thread
note that there is different kind of brick where after turning on the phone only the LED light blinks - it wasn't tested on that situtation but you can try it and pls let me know.

What you will need

clean windows without any previous ROM-flashing or android development drivers is recommended as it looks like windows is unable to fully uninstall previous drivers - they will reappear once device is connected

STEPS:
  1. unpack ROM (for example to Desktop)
  2. unpack prog_emmc_firehose_Sm6125_ddr.zip and place prog_emmc_firehose_Sm6125_ddr.elf from .zip into your unpacked ROM folder: /ginkgo_global_images_V11.0.11.0.PCOMIXM_20201001.0000.00_9.0_global/images/prog_emmc_firehose_Sm6125_ddr.elf (overwrite the old one)
  3. run QFIL.exe and set it up similiarly like in this video (i know it's for 8T and but same principle is applicable here)
  4. leave QFIL.exe running, you will need it later
  5. now the tricky part. remove backlplate, connect phone using USB cable (prefferably stock cable that came with the phone and into USB2 slot) and short these 2 pins to get into EDL mode Screenshot_2.jpg
  6. you should hear windows sound of device plugged in. check in the device manager - it should report as unknown device QUSB_BULK_CID:XXXX_SN:XXXXXXXX
  7. now run xiaomi flash tool 20200314 and it will prompt to install drivers so click Install and check if your unknown device now reports as QUALCOMM HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (if install process happended too fast and you cannot see the driver (this happened to me) please remove anything from MiFlash20200314\log folder and try again)
  8. once the driver is installed, QFIL should show QUALCOMM HS-USB QDLoader 9008 instead of No Port Available
  9. click on Download Content to flash firmware
  10. now my 1st flash failed - I got Sahara Error, so I disconnected the cable, pressed all 3 buttons on phone for ~10seconds until screen blinked and phone vibrated
  11. I connected cable again, shorted these 2 pins to get into EDL mode, pressed Download content again and now it worked (took few minutes) and Download Succeed
  12. hold all 3 buttons for ~10seconds and phone should start up

to my knowledge the error you will get the most in QFIL is Sahara Fail. according to the internet, this might be due to many reasons (bad cable, bad usb port, antivirus running, wrong firmware or firehose or wrong driver but in my case it was the wrong driver - internet is full of various qualcomm driver but I had succes only with the one included in xiaomi flash tool 20200314 ) for more troubleshooting please use for example https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip check if your driver's version is same as on the attached image (2.1.0.5)
driver.jpg

No reboot nor enabling unsigned drivers, running QFIL as administrator, disabling antivirus was needed in my case.

Maybe some of these steps are unnecesarry, maybe this guide can be written more understandably - sorry for that - i wrote is asap so I won't forget anything I did during process. Please feel free to modify it or I will try to improve it in the future if I brick my phone again and have more knowledge about it..

and I also need to figure out how to stick backplate to phone again so that it can be removed if needed while still preserving some kind of waterproof function..

EDIT: bricked my phone 3 more times aftrer trying to install RR but was able to recover from all of them again

Attachments

• prog_emmc_firehose_Sm6125_ddr.zip
    239 KB · Views: 1,309
Last edited:

dxD7

Feb 3, 2021
Redmi Note 8
and I also need to figure out how to stick backplate to phone again so that it can be removed if needed while still preserving some kind of waterproof function..

I live in canada and I found a 2mm double sided tape on amazon for like 10$ made for electronics. I think that's what I'll buy, and I can come back with an update if it's good or not. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BXYWXY8/

Last edited:
Reactions: Datlevn

nicolan004

Nov 6, 2017
Hi, i will follow this process, but i have a different kind of brick, it`s completely dead, not vibrate, no led, nothing. The only sign of life is the sound in my pc when i connect/disconnect usb cable and i can see it in MiFlash as "COM3" and "QUALCOMM HS-USB QDLoader 9008" in QFIL.
It will work?
PD: i brick the phone after update to MIUI 12, ye i dont know how

nicolan004

Nov 6, 2017
Hi, i will follow this process, but i have a different kind of brick, it`s completely dead, not vibrate, no led, nothing. The only sign of life is the sound in my pc when i connect/disconnect usb cable and i can see it in MiFlash as "COM3" and "QUALCOMM HS-USB QDLoader 9008" in QFIL.
It will work?
PD: i brick the phone after update to MIUI 12, ye i dont know how

I have the famous "Sharara" error, what did you do to solve it?

nicolan004

Nov 6, 2017
So i finally unbrick my phone! It´s alive ahaha. Thanks a lot, you are my new god.
The reason why i get Sahara error was becouse i have a old version of QPST/QFIL

Reactions: dxD7

HUN_Gyuszi

May 25, 2017
Fantastic work. I waited about 50 days for the same so the official service could do this.
I'll bookmark your work if I need it again in the future :)
Cheers man. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: dxD7

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
Nice work !
i saw a tutorial on how to enter EDL mode without opening the phone but i can't find it anymore
its here on xda, if you find it update your tutorial

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
I haven't tested this myself, but with unlocked bootloader you maybe can use the fastboot command:

fastboot oem edl

I haven't seen this with RN8 on XDA, but with RN7 Pro and Poco X3

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018
Hi all, after lots of trial & error, I would like to share how I managed to unbrick my Redmi Note 8
original thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/need-redmi-note-8-firehose-without-authentication.4031513/

WARNING: this process requires you to enter EDL mode which means you have to separate backplate and short 2 pins on motherboard so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! since its not quick&easy solution yet.. thanks Xiaomi! (n)

Symptoms:

• while pressing power button , the display backlight will turn on for approx a second and phone will vibrate and then turn off
  • while pressing power+volume- button, the phone will do the same as above but will show fastboot image for a second too
  • while phone is connected via cable its backlight will turn on for a second and thend turn off repeatedly..
tested on ginko, batch 2020.11 - but should work on other (older phones as well) not tested on 8T-willow but might work - some mention about it is in original thread
note that there is different kind of brick where after turning on the phone only the LED light blinks - it wasn't tested on that situtation but you can try it and pls let me know.

What you will need

clean windows without any previous ROM-flashing or android development drivers is recommended as it looks like windows is unable to fully uninstall previous drivers - they will reappear once device is connected

STEPS:
  2. unpack prog_emmc_firehose_Sm6125_ddr.zip and place prog_emmc_firehose_Sm6125_ddr.elf from .zip into your unpacked ROM folder: /ginkgo_global_images_V11.0.11.0.PCOMIXM_20201001.0000.00_9.0_global/images/prog_emmc_firehose_Sm6125_ddr.elf (overwrite the old one)
  3. run QFIL.exe and set it up similiarly like in this video (i know it's for 8T and but same principle is applicable here)
  5. now the tricky part. remove backlplate, connect phone using USB cable (prefferably stock cable that came with the phone and into USB2 slot) and short these 2 pins to get into EDL mode View attachment 5209521
  6. you should hear windows sound of device plugged in. check in the device manager - it should report as unknown device QUSB_BULK_CID:XXXX_SN:XXXXXXXX
  7. now run xiaomi flash tool 20200314 and it will prompt to install drivers so click Install and check if your unknown device now reports as QUALCOMM HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (if install process happended too fast and you cannot see the driver (this happened to me) please remove anything from MiFlash20200314\log folder and try again)
  8. once the driver is installed, QFIL should show QUALCOMM HS-USB QDLoader 9008 instead of No Port Available
  10. now my 1st flash failed - I got Sahara Error, so I disconnected the cable, pressed all 3 buttons on phone for ~10seconds until screen blinked and phone vibrated
  11. I connected cable again, shorted these 2 pins to get into EDL mode, pressed Download content again and now it worked (took few minutes) and Download Succeed

to my knowledge the error you will get the most in QFIL is Sahara Fail. according to the internet, this might be due to many reasons (bad cable, bad usb port, antivirus running, wrong firmware or firehose or wrong driver but in my case it was the wrong driver - internet is full of various qualcomm driver but I had succes only with the one included in xiaomi flash tool 20200314 ) for more troubleshooting please use for example https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip check if your driver's version is same as on the attached image (2.1.0.5)
View attachment 5209555

No reboot nor enabling unsigned drivers, running QFIL as administrator, disabling antivirus was needed in my case.

Maybe some of these steps are unnecesarry, maybe this guide can be written more understandably - sorry for that - i wrote is asap so I won't forget anything I did during process. Please feel free to modify it or I will try to improve it in the future if I brick my phone again and have more knowledge about it..

EDIT: bricked my phone 3 more times aftrer trying to install RR but was able to recover from all of them again
Hi, I tried to follow all of your steps. It flashed successfully but still not booting. still stuck at black screen. And it only just vibrates when I try to turn it on.

the tiger

Mar 23, 2021
gracias , me salvaron.
no hay necesidad de quitar la tapa solo tengan presionado todos los botones y lo conectan así active el EDL .

Last edited:

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
... It flashed successfully but still not booting. still stuck at black screen....
From what I understand, this looks a specific problem with Board ID 3.29.
The reason could be that only the same Miui version or higher and same region can be flashed than the one with which the phone came.
Also flasshing without battery connection could help.

Last edited:

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
I too had this flashing backlight problem and found the reason why this happens.
It is only the november 2020 batch (11-2020) which has Miui 11.0.11
This batch can't be flashed with recovery to Miui 12.01 or 12.01 FW.

If you do this, your phone get this brick, while there isn't a single error with twrp flashing.

No fastboot, No recovery, No system anymore
You need EDL testpoint and patched firehose file to revive your phone.

With twrp, Flash Miui12.02 or higher , you will never notice this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: pnin

dalton 123

Apr 14, 2021

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you so much , i fixed the probleme 🤩

Symptoms:

What you will need

STEPS:
    5. now the tricky part. remove backlplate, connect phone using USB cable (prefferably stock cable that came with the phone and into USB2 slot) and short these 2 pins to get into EDL mode Screenshot_2.jpg

driver.jpg

thanks either that or I'm thinking about B7000 glue which looks like many people are using for sticking battery cover

I live in canada and I found a 2mm double sided tape on amazon for like 10$ made for electronics. I think that's what I'll buy, and I can come back with an update if it's good or not. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BXYWXY8/
    Thank you, I revived the Redmi Note 8 in the way you share.
    u re welcome. good to see it works!