[GUIDE] How to Uninstall a Magisk Module (bootloop fix)

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
For those who encounter a bootloop because of a Magisk Module or got a bootloop during an update because of a module
This will allow you to go and delete that bad module and allowing you to boot back into the OS

What you need:
Recommended TWRP from TWRP 3.3.1-xx Unified Unofficial by mauronofrio
**Official TWRP may not allow you to boot twrp.img**
OOSNativeCallRecording Module seems to be one culprit. Make sure to Uninstall before updating.

If you already have twrp then go to Instructions
If you do not have TWRP and do not want to Install, use this method
Boot to TWRP (for those of us who do not install TWRP)
Does not work with OxygenOS 9.5.3 and below

Make sure to have adb and fastboot files here
1. Download the TWRP image (not Installer) from post above
2. Boot to fastboot
3. Rename TWRP image to twrp.img and move to folder with adb and fastboot files (after you had extracted)
4. Type
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

Instructions
1. Boot to TWRP
2. Go to Advanced > File Manager > data > adb > modules
3. click on the folder of the module you want to delete

4. while inside that folder click on the little folder on the bottom right with the check mark on it

5. click Delete

Done... Reboot back to OS without a bootloop

Last edited:

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
you should add what to do if you can't boot twrp. Happened to me after I removed Google dialer framework. Only thing I could get it to is bootloader. would not let me fastboot TWRp. I got an error every time. I had the flash boot image

Reactions: refedit and Bradl79

matze19999

Dec 23, 2013
Near Donauwörth
For those who encounter a bootloop because of a Magisk Module or got a bootloop during an update because of a module
This will allow you to go and delete that bad module and allowing you to boot back into the OS

What you need:
TWRP from here
If you already have twrp then go to Instructions

If you do not have TWRP and do not want to Install, use this method
Boot to TWRP (for those of us who do not install TWRP)
Does not work with OxygenOS 9.5.3 and below

Make sure to have adb and fastboot files here
1. Download the TWRP image (not Installer) from post above
2. Boot to fastboot
3. Rename TWRP image to twrp.img and move to folder with adb and fastboot files (after you had extracted)
4. Type
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

Instructions
1. Boot to TWRP
2. Go to Advanced > File Manager > data > adb > modules
3. click on the folder of the module you want to delete

4. while inside that folder click on the little folder on the bottom right with the check mark on it

5. click Delete

Done... Reboot back to OS without a bootloop
Just install the magisk module "Magisk Manger for Recovery".... Done. No need for such long instructions...

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
Just install the magisk module "Magisk Manger for Recovery".... Done. No need for such long instructions...
It's actually pretty simple, u just have to provide more instructions for people who haven't used twrp. There is no need to flash anything, ik that the uninmod does not work and I thought I tired mm and could not get it working either.

se7ensde

Mar 19, 2016
He's right uninmod and stuff like that doesn't work at all now. It's unable to mount magisk.img it seems to be an issue with our twrp.

As for the statement about the issue being dual partitions that's wrong it's has nothing to do with that. I know he mentioned that uninmod and others did not work on op6 as well.. But it did cause I used uninmod on my 6 and 6T. This is an issue with this device only and possibly the twrp we have currently.

Reactions: Bradl79

spart0n

Sep 5, 2018
Saved my ass!

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

So do we need to disable modules before updating? The re enable after?

Reactions: mlock420

mlock420

Aug 6, 2013
Saved my ass!

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

So do we need to disable modules before updating? The re enable after?
Duh what you think? Lol naw for real tho...I've learned that after updating never reinstall mods that aren't up to date with the current os....I can't speak for all mods but magisk roms like renovate ice needs to be updated to the current os or problems will occur....I'm a noobish noob but I learned my lesson

Reactions: null0seven

spart0n

Sep 5, 2018
Duh what you think? Lol naw for real tho...I've learned that after updating never reinstall mods that aren't up to date with the current os....I can't speak for all mods but magisk roms like renovate ice needs to be updated to the current os or problems will occur....I'm a noobish noob but I learned my lesson

Well what I'm getting at is that I deleted all 4 of my magisk mods and fixed the bootloop and then reinstalled all 4 of them and rebooted and everything is fine now. I was asking about should we disable all mods, reboot, update, install magisk, reboot, check root with magisk then reinstall all mods and reboot again?