[GUIDE] How to Unlock Bootloader of LG G8X!!!

Search This thread

foenicxxx

Hey thanks for replying. Sorry, I didn't think saying the variant was necesary. I got it fixed tho.

It was impossible getting into download mode since my device was not even booting in any way. neither it was being detected by the pc. But i figured out that if I pressed the power button + vol down button at the same time for a while the phone would vibrate for half a second. So with this finding I tried presing the combo keys and presing vol up after that little vibration and the deviced showed up in the device manager. The device had booted into EDL!

So from there I was able to re-patch the abl_a/b partitions, the device booted, stuck in a bootloop, understandably. But it was an easy fix since the only thing left was doing the stock rom flashing, aaand redoing everthing again.

Everything is fine now, I even managed to root my device and got rid of the "Can't find matched carrier. Check NT-Code: 0" thing. I tried fixing the FP scanner by relocking the bootloader with fastboot oem lock but It remained unlocked no matter what. Don't know if that fixes FP to begin with.

Thanks again for replying. And I hope this info ends up being of help for somebody else

Hey thanks for replying. Sorry, I didn't think saying the variant was necesary. I got it fixed tho.

It was impossible getting into download mode since my device was not even booting in any way. neither it was being detected by the pc. But i figured out that if I pressed the power button + vol down button at the same time for a while the phone would vibrate for half a second. So with this finding I tried presing the combo keys and presing vol up after that little vibration and the deviced showed up in the device manager. The device had booted into EDL!

So from there I was able to re-patch the abl_a/b partitions, the device booted, stuck in a bootloop, understandably. But it was an easy fix since the only thing left was doing the stock rom flashing, aaand redoing everthing again.

Everything is fine now, I even managed to root my device and got rid of the "Can't find matched carrier. Check NT-Code: 0" thing. I tried fixing the FP scanner by relocking the bootloader with fastboot oem lock but It remained unlocked no matter what. Don't know if that fixes FP to begin with.

Thanks again for replying. And I hope this info ends up being of help for somebody else.
Good to know that, you got the device back on the track. A bit tricky with LG 😜

Reactions: civenci

civenci

Jul 12, 2020
As a little

Thanks again for replying. And I hope this info ends up being of help for somebody else.
As a little update to this I was finally able to bring the FP scanner back with the BL unlocked. Don't try relocking the Bootloader since it prevents the device from booting if rooted. The guide I followed is on XDA.

Now I only need TWRP so I can backup in case I break something in the future.

As a little

As a little update to this I was finally able to bring the FP scanner back with the BL unlocked. Don't try relocking the Bootloader since it prevents the device from booting if rooted. The guide I followed is on XDA.

Now I only need TWRP so I can backup in case I break something in the future.
Could you please let us know what KDZ (download source) you used to downgrade using LG UP?

I currently have BL unlock and magisk running great. However, I like to try to fix the FP scanner by following the XDA guide. However, it's difficult to find the KDZ to use with my Canadian variant. I am not sure if it is safe to use KDZ from the US or others t fix the FP issue.

The XDA FP scanner fix thread does not provide enough information on what happen after you downgrade. What do you need to do to at least upgrade back to Android 10 latest updates. Would OTA for your country work or would you need to find the proper KDZ and LG UP? Once upgrade, would FP scanner still work or would it revert like back originally?

civenci

Jul 12, 2020
Could you please let us know what KDZ (download source) you used to downgrade using LG UP?
I downloaded my device's KDZ at LG Firmwares.
I currently have BL unlock and magisk running great. However, I like to try to fix the FP scanner by following the XDA guide. However, it's difficult to find the KDZ to use with my Canadian variant. I am not sure if it is safe to use KDZ from the US or others t fix the FP issue.
I was also concerned about this because my variant is regional and not country specific. When I looked up for my model it showed multiple options. And i mistook the proper KDZ for my device with another multiple times. But LGUP warned me bout flashing the wrong firmware so I simply kept trying different firmwares until I got the right one (LGUP won't let you flash the wrong Firmware, that's what I can tell from experience).
The XDA FP scanner fix thread does not provide enough information on what happen after you downgrade. What do you need to do to at least upgrade back to Android 10 latest updates. Would OTA for your country work or would you need to find the proper KDZ and LG UP? Once upgrade, would FP scanner still work or would it revert like back originally?
If you downgrade it will simply prompt you to upgrade like it did when you were on Android 9. you can go back to android 10 that way after you get your FP scanner working.

I downloaded my device's KDZ at LG Firmwares.

I was also concerned about this because my variant is regional and not country specific. When I looked up for my model it showed multiple options. And i mistook the proper KDZ for my device with another multiple times. But LGUP warned me bout flashing the wrong firmware so I simply kept trying different firmwares until I got the right one (LGUP won't let you flash the wrong Firmware, that's what I can tell from experience).

If you downgrade it will simply prompt you to upgrade like it did when you were on Android 9. you can go back to android 10 that way after you get your FP scanner working.
I was able to downgrade and fix the fingerprint scanner issue. I went through all the OTA updates. Surprisingly it works fine.

However, once all updates have been process. I tried to magisk the device by following the universal unlock and magisk thread. I did exactly the same thing the first time around but Magisk would not install and activate.

The first time around BL unlock and Magisk works great but Fingerprint did not work. Now fingerprint works but I am unable to Magisk it.

I used the same _a slot as when I first started the process. It did not work so I tried to go back into fastboot just to confirm if the slot change but I can't go back into fastboot for some reason. I tried both combinations with power on and off but to no avail.

I don't know what else to try now.

civenci

Jul 12, 2020
I was able to downgrade and fix the fingerprint scanner issue. I went through all the OTA updates. Surprisingly it works fine.

However, once all updates have been process. I tried to magisk the device by following the universal unlock and magisk thread. I did exactly the same thing the first time around but Magisk would not install and activate.

The first time around BL unlock and Magisk works great but Fingerprint did not work. Now fingerprint works but I am unable to Magisk it.

I used the same _a slot as when I first started the process. It did not work so I tried to go back into fastboot just to confirm if the slot change but I can't go back into fastboot for some reason. I tried both combinations with power on and off but to no avail.

You may need to get a new modified boot image and try flashing that?

what method did you use before to flash magisk?

foenicxxx

You have to use the right and correct Magisk Patch as per the version of your device. In your case, after OTA updates the firmware version changes and the old patch wont work. Just to make the things clear, an example, you did Unlock BL and root with "B" version and got back to "A" version firmware to make the FP to work, later with OTA, you reach the firmware of "C" version, then the old Magisk patch will not work. Here you have to use a newly patched boot image as per the recent version.
If my reply is irrelevant or wrong, please update your question.

You have to use the right and correct Magisk Patch as per the version of your device. In your case, after OTA updates the firmware version changes and the old patch wont work. Just to make the things clear, an example, you did Unlock BL and root with "B" version and got back to "A" version firmware to make the FP to work, later with OTA, you reach the firmware of "C" version, then the old Magisk patch will not work. Here you have to use a newly patched boot image as per the recent version.
If my reply is irrelevant or wrong, please update your question.
Thank you for replying. I now know after I redo the steps from step 1. I notice teh switch in the slot. That was what my mistake when I tried to magisk the 2nd time. When I followed the step originally, everything was followed exactly and it work.

After I fixed the FP scanner, I notice that the BL was already unlocked so I did not think i needed to find out the slot used. And flash the Magisk patched img into the slot a. which did not work and cause me to load the original boot from the first run. This cause the fastboot loop.

Anyway, I could not boot anymore so I downgrade using LG UP and KDZ and restarted.

Everything is good now. BL unlocked, magisk and fingerprint all works. I am skipping TWRP for now since there is no rush for the custom rom yet.

Reactions: vintotale

foenicxxx

Thank you for replying. I now know after I redo the steps from step 1. I notice teh switch in the slot. That was what my mistake when I tried to magisk the 2nd time. When I followed the step originally, everything was followed exactly and it work.

After I fixed the FP scanner, I notice that the BL was already unlocked so I did not think i needed to find out the slot used. And flash the Magisk patched img into the slot a. which did not work and cause me to load the original boot from the first run. This cause the fastboot loop.

Anyway, I could not boot anymore so I downgrade using LG UP and KDZ and restarted.

Everything is good now. BL unlocked, magisk and fingerprint all works. I am skipping TWRP for now since there is no rush for the custom rom yet.
Glad you got your device Back in working (y):)

Glad you got your device Back in working (y):)
One last question, Magisk is installed but when I check the safetynet, I receive the error "SafetyNet API Error".

For other devices I Magisk, I never receive this API error and get individual status for basicIntegrity ctsProfile and evalType. I just correct these.

I was wondering if there is any different with the way G8x is patched and installed if we would be able to get all the same feature.

I did notice I that Netflix is not available for installing. I assume this has something to do with root. Now Netflix is not high on my list of apps that I want but it leads me to believe other apps that i need to install that is not available is due to root being exposed.

What remedy did you do on your G8x or if any?

Thanks

Reactions: vintotale

foenicxxx

One last question, Magisk is installed but when I check the safetynet, I receive the error "SafetyNet API Error".

For other devices I Magisk, I never receive this API error and get individual status for basicIntegrity ctsProfile and evalType. I just correct these.

I was wondering if there is any different with the way G8x is patched and installed if we would be able to get all the same feature.

I did notice I that Netflix is not available for installing. I assume this has something to do with root. Now Netflix is not high on my list of apps that I want but it leads me to believe other apps that i need to install that is not available is due to root being exposed.

What remedy did you do on your G8x or if any?

Thanks
Reach me in telegram, I need more clarifications on the subject from you. I am not sure I could assist you here as it needs continuous interaction to verify some details from your side. Thanks for understanding...

maxpatri9

Nov 19, 2017
This Guide will explain how to unlock your LG G8X

Unlock Prerequisites:
Make sure you have "Enable OEM Unlock" enabled in developer options, along with USB Debugging. Download everything given in the downloads section. Backup EFS using QPST.

How to backup EFS (xqcn) through QPST?
In phone, dial *#546368#*850#, you’ll be in hidden menu now. G
Go to SVC Menu>Port Check Test> Enable Port Check. Connect Phone to PC, select “File transfer” mode in your phone.

Now, open QPST
Click on “Add Ports”
Uncheck “Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostics ports only”
Choose COM* - USB/Unknown (LGE Mobile USB Serial Port, LMG850.....)

View attachment 5147061

Now click OK

Click on “Start Clients”
Choose “Software Download”
Choose Backup, and hit start. This will save the config to xqcn file.

Booting into EDL:
Note: Do while phone is booted, in normal mode.

1. Plug in your Phone to your PC

2. Press and hold Power and Volume Down

3. As soon as your screen is blank, rapidly start pressing volume up.

4. If you've successfully booted into EDL, your screen will be completely blank and the device manager will show (Under COM Ports): Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

Now Let’s UNLOCK!!!

Downloads:

QPST: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qoVGeRSNSIpPHZe811mgqoJJe_1veM52/view?usp=drivesdk

ABL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WY6aqb6jf658ji1YRZ1iuDzt2GtH5c2e/view?usp=drivesdk

Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oO_0_T6PCHl1SQzFHIeip1R8QDszwfLU/view?usp=drivesdk
i need this firehose for frp prog_ufs_firehose_sm8250_lge.elf

D

Deleted member 11641335

I followed all the steps and Im slowly in the process of reversing them. Magisk caused a bootloop for me. I got my device working again but I cannot enter fastboot mode to relock the bootloader.

Hi, Thanks for this tutorial.

This exploit works on G850UM variant...?
If the UM variant is one of the traditionally GSM varieties like Canadian variants, AT&T and Tmob (and I am not familiar with the other American varieties,) I think it should minus the AT&T variant.

did anybody get this working on a QM version? I have US unlocked and bought with android 10. a month ago I tried and updated to latest android 10 after having dl'ed the earlier firmware. I have 2 G8X's and ran into different problems with both. the second one I learned a lot about how and what to flash but still no FP work. I am waiting for LG to put out a halfassed android 11 and hopefully update it to stable, or a few more people whip up some light custom stable roms. hopefully another guide or some updates will make it easier. I want that root but so far the workarounds I have are getting me by.

Talik88

Jun 17, 2021
Esta guía le explicará cómo desbloquear su LG G8X

Desbloquear requisitos previos:
Asegúrese de tener habilitado "Habilitar desbloqueo OEM" en las opciones de desarrollador, junto con la depuración de USB. Descarga todo lo que se da en la sección de descargas. Copia de seguridad de EFS mediante QPST.

¿Cómo hacer una copia de seguridad de EFS (xqcn) a través de QPST?
En el teléfono, marque * # 546368 # * 850 #, ahora estará en el menú oculto. GRAMO
Vaya a Menú SVC> Prueba de verificación de puerto> Habilitar verificación de puerto. Conecte el teléfono a la PC, seleccione el modo "Transferencia de archivos" en su teléfono.

Ahora, abra QPST
Haga clic en "Agregar puertos"
Desmarque "Mostrar solo puertos serie y de diagnóstico USB / QC"
Elija COM * - USB / Desconocido (Puerto serie USB móvil LGE, LMG850 .....)

[ATTACH = full] 5147061 [/ ATTACH]

Ahora haga clic en Aceptar

Haga clic en "Iniciar clientes"
Elija "Descarga de software"
Elija Copia de seguridad y presione Inicio. Esto guardará la configuración en el archivo xqcn.

Arrancando en EDL:
Nota: Hágalo mientras el teléfono está arrancado, en modo normal.

1. Conecte su teléfono a su PC

2. Mantenga presionado el botón de encendido y bajar el volumen

3. Tan pronto como su pantalla esté en blanco, comience rápidamente a presionar para subir el volumen.

4. Si ha iniciado con éxito en EDL, su pantalla estará completamente en blanco y el administrador de dispositivos mostrar (Bajo COM Ports): Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

Ahora vamos a DESBLOQUEAR !!!

Descargas:

QPST: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qoVGeRSNSIpPHZe811mgqoJJe_1veM52/view?usp=drivesdk

ABL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WY6aqb6jf658ji1YRZ1iuDzt2GtH5c2e/view?usp=drivesdk

Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oO_0_T6PCHl1SQzFHIeip1R8QDszwfLU/view?usp=d

Unlock Prerequisites:
Make sure you have "Enable OEM Unlock" enabled in developer options, along with USB Debugging. Download everything given in the downloads section. Backup EFS using QPST.

Go to SVC Menu>Port Check Test> Enable Port Check. Connect Phone to PC, select “File transfer” mode in your phone.

Now, open QPST
Click on “Add Ports”

View attachment 5147061

Now click OK

Click on “Start Clients”

Booting into EDL:

3. Tan pronto como su pantalla esté en blanco, comience rápidamente a presionar para subir el volumen.

4. Si ha iniciado con éxito en EDL, su pantalla estará completamente en blanco y el administrador de dispositivos mostrará (Bajo COM Ports): Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

Ahora vamos a DESBLOQUEAR !!!

Descargas:

Firehose: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oO_0_T6PCHl1SQzFHIeip1R8QDszwfLU/view?usp=drivesdk
I can't activate the hidden menu, help please

D

Deleted member 11641335

Hi, thanks for the guide.
A few questions though:
1) Can we relock the bootloader and return it back to the stock state by the appropriate fastboot commands ?
Since FP is not working right now or incase something else goes wrong ?

2) Does this process wipe any data ?

Thanks for the help !
Trying to enter fastboot mode to reverse bootloader unlock but I cannot get it to fastboot. It boots fine but if I do adb reboot recovery it just goes to a no command screen and reboots. Any advice on how to enter fastboot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

* Disclaimer*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you blame me in any way for what happens to your device, I will laugh at you.
    *Wait, what? No. Me or somebody else will help you

Unlock Prerequisites:

Now, open QPST
    Click on “Add Ports”

553D345C-FA7A-4640-AF64-AB5DC8CB3B35.jpeg

Now click OK

Click on “Start Clients”

Booting into EDL:

3. As soon as your screen is blank, rapidly start pressing volume up.

4. If you've successfully booted into EDL, your screen will be completely blank and the device manager will show (Under COM Ports): Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008

Now Let’s UNLOCK!!!

Downloads:

1. Launch QFIL

2. Change it to Flat Build, Choose programmer (Firehose), change emmc to UFS from the drown down pane at botton right corner.

3. Click on Tools> Partition Manager

4. BACKUP THEN FLASH.

How to backup?

Choose a partition, right click on it, select “Manage Partition Data
    Now click on “Read Data”, this will backup the partition to {Your username/App data/Roaming/Qualcomm/COM Port* as .bin file so you can flash it back if any problem arises)

Important partitions to backup: modemst1, modemst2 and abl

How to flash?

Choose abl_a, right click on it, select “Manage Partition Data”
    Now click on “Load Image”, then browse to abl_a.bin that you have downloaded.
    This will flash abl to abl_a, it will show that sending image is completed in logs.

Do the same for abl_b (use abl_a.bin) too

5. Press and hold Vol- and power till it shows No port available in QFIL, then release power button but keep holding vol-

6. You’ll be in fastboot now. (Check device manager, if it’s showing Android with a yellow triange you don’t have drivers for fastboot installed. Google “15 Seconds ADB Installer” and install it.

7. Run the command “fastboot oem unlock

8. On phone, select “Unlock the bootloader” then press power.

9. Phone is unlocked now, do whatever you want... (Don’t do anything foolish tho...)

Known Issue: FP is broken...

Thanks to Torres (for the file), @Xsavi
    Aditya Y, @JohnyCash2020, @Harry@007 (For testing)

Will Update this guide with images etc...

You can also ask for help here: https://t.me/LG_G8X_India

Thankyou :)
    How to FIX Network?

1. Boot to edl mode.

2. Open Partition Manager in QFIL, restore backup of abl you created before flashing.

3. Reboot, and network will be back...
    THIS IS NOT EDL MODE. (This is Download mode for flashing KDZ, many people are confusing this with EDL)

63197524-7D1E-4203-81CB-F2F01328E959.jpeg

IN EDL MODE SCREEN WILL BE BLANK AND YOUR PHONE WILL BE DETECTED AS Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 not LGE AndroidNet Serial...
    Finally done root with my Sprint G8x with 20f.

1. QCOMM Driver need to install with option ETHERNET-DHCP (2nd option)
    2. BACKUP abl_a/b boot_a/b modemst1/2
    3. for fastboot driver, need [Disable Driver Signature Verification] for win 10.
    4. after root w magisk, can flash back your backed up abl_a/b

Let me know if anyone wants my backup files or magisk patched boots.