[GUIDE] How to unlock bootloader on Nokia 3

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
*Unlocking bootloader will remove all your data!*

I'm using Windows 7, and that's the steps i did. (it should be simmilar for other systems too)

Getting code:

Code will look simmilar to this: DB1ED223C5537BA756FB0671E425D650

Method 1 (no root):
Go to
https://passwordsgenerator.net/md5-hash-generator/ copy paste serial number and click generate. Then you should see code in "MD5 Hash of your string". You can also go to simmilar md5 hash generator sites, but this site automatically converts small letters to big letters.

Method 2 (root):
Okay, this is new method that is much easier and you don't need to send IMEI and wait for @the_laser to give you code. Go to terminal emulator, type su and execute it. Then type this and execute it:
Actually the command is
echo -n NE1GAM4770133666 |md5sum |tr [:lower:] [:upper:]

If you don't use the -n flag, the newline character is also passed and you get a different result
Unlocking bootloader:

Download platform-tools which activates adb and fastboot commands (first you need Nokia 3 driver installed if you didn't)

Nokia 3 driver: http://www.devfiles.co/download/3iK0k7Sv/Nokia_3_USB_Drivers.zip

platform-tools Windows: http://www.devfiles.co/download/KtLsN6fX/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip

platform-tools Mac: http://www.devfiles.co/download/OkrfluP0/platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip

platform-tools Linux: http://www.devfiles.co/download/vk5DudZX/platform-tools-latest-linux.zip

Enable usb debugging in Developer options before running adb. To get Developer options, go to settings, about phone and press build number 7 times. Also enable OEM unlock.

Now Connect phone to computer via usb and enable usb file transfer, run cmd as administrator, then type this command which runs adb:

chdir C:/Users/John/Desktop/platform-tools (this is just a example, you need to type your own location of platform-tools)

then type this command to check is your device connected to adb, it will show serial number of your device, if it hangs at waiting device, then you need to reinstall drivers (if you're doing this first time, then it will ask to allow usb debugging on your computer, just tick always allow from this computer and click OK)

adb devices

then type this command to reboot to recovery (you can boot to recovery by holding power on + volume up (only with usb connected) if this command doesn't works)

adb reboot recovery

when booted to recovery, choose reboot to bootloader option with volume sliders (this will boot to fastboot)

when booted to fastboot, it will show text 'FASTBOOT MODE' in down-left corner
now type this command to check is your device connected properly to fastboot.

fastboot devices

if it show characters like 0123456789ABCDEF or simmilar then it is connected properly, if it hangs on waiting device, then you need to reinstall drivers like mentioned above.

Android Nougat (7.0 & 7.1.1):

Now type these commands to unlock bootloader

fastboot.exe -i 0x2e04 oem key (type your key after oem key)

fastboot.exe -i 0x2e04 oem unlock
then press volume up, when asked

Android Oreo (8.0 & 8.1):

First download NE1-0-215H.lk.bin:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZaLMs7ZclQ2wvKwSb0ofUraMmrsiHh6uk1X

Now type these commands to unlock bootloader

fastboot oem dm-verity <your_unlock_key>

fastboot flash lk NE1-0-215H.lk.bin

fastboot reboot-bootloader

Proceed your unlock procedure.

If you have problem on flashing the lk partition, you can use MTK Smart Phone Flash Tool to flash lk partition manually.
After lk partition flashed, you may encounter "Red State" when booting the phone. Ignore that and boot your phone to Fastboot mode directly with OST LA.

That is it, i tried to explain for you to understand everything i did to unlock bootloader.

Credits:
@the_laser for codes, some additional steps and corrections. Also thanks for new method. @redweaver for new method.
@Hikari_kalyx for Android Oreo method. @bigrammy for NE1-0-215H.lk.bin link.

Last edited:

the_laser

Feb 15, 2011
way to enter recovery without adb -

power off phone
press and hold volume up + power on buttons, insert cable immediately
countdown will start on phone, hold both keys until countdown ends, then IMMEDIATELY release power on key, still holding volume up
you will enter recovery shortly

after installing TWRP it is very important - DO NOT allow /system modification until supersu package installation ! ( or you will require reflashing phone with OST )
another note - can't enter recovery by combination volume-up + power button, if phone not connected to computer

one man reported, that even he successfully flashed TWRP image with "fastboot flash recovery <twrp image>", he still got original recovery.
workaround is to use "fastboot boot <twrp image>" - as we need to have USB cable connected to enter TWRP recovery anyway, not big problem.

Last edited:

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
way to enter recovery without adb -

power off phone
press and hold volume up + power on buttons, insert cable immediately
countdown will start on phone, hold both keys until countdown ends, then IMMEDIATELY release power on key, still holding volume up
you will enter recovery shortly

after installing TWRP it is very important - DO NOT allow /system modification until supersu package installation ! ( or you will require reflashing phone with OST )
another note - can't enter recovery by combination volume-up + power button, if phone not connected to computer

one man reported, that even he successfully flashed TWRP image with "fastboot flash recovery <twrp image>", he still got original recovery.
workaround is to use "fastboot boot <twrp image>" - as we need to have USB cable connected to enter TWRP recovery anyway, not big problem.
Someone told me that if you flashed twrp, that it automatically removes data encryption. Is that true?

EDIT: i find out that is not true, it asks for some password to decrypt data, but the problem is that idk what is the password

Last edited:
Reactions: keys42

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
DON'T install xposed! It bootlops.

EDIT: My fault, it actually work but you need to wait more than usual to boot.

Last edited:

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
That is great guys.

Do we have a working recovery yet?
I use this twrp https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmTb5aqoY12mDZqDZbPOp47QVMV

I have stock recovery, but I use fastboot command 'fastboot boot recoveryname.img' when I need TWRP, and that's awesome because I don't lose stock recovery which is useful to flash OTAs and Nokia zips. I flashed SuperSu 2.79 just fine, but expect some crashes like software update, device monitor crash, but actually everything works, software update works just fine.

Reactions: congpeter.46

the_laser

Feb 15, 2011
SkaboXD said:
Someone told me that if you flashed twrp, that it automatically removes data encryption. Is that true?

EDIT: i find out that is not true, it asks for some password to decrypt data, but the problem is that idk what is the password
TWRP can't handle Android 7.x default disk encryption, just press "cancel" and we need to use sdcard as storage for backups and packages because of this

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
the bootloader I unlocked how to install root and twrp
link for twrp
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmTb5aqoY12mDZqDZbPOp47QVMV

when downloaded, copy twrp to folder platform-tools and rename it to recovery.img

reboot to fastboot, then type this command:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then reboot, fastboot reboot

if it didn't worked, use this command just to boot to twrp (you need to do this everytime when you are connected to PC)

fastboot boot recovery.img

To install root, first disable system modification on twrp then flash this zip for root.

This is not the latest version of SuperSU, but newest releases have some problems and crashes. (at least for me). This is last version that works for me.

That is it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: keys42

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Is it possible after unlocking, installing twrp and root, to return the device to factory settings for ota updates? If so, how?
on twrp, there is a option wipe, click on it, then you will see option swipe to factory reset. then wait and reboot.

And you can now enable system modification if you want (it is recommended to enable it because some zips fails to flash because this option is disabled)

Last edited:

shokohiw

Nov 15, 2012
Хабаровск
After installing TWRP and rebooting, does not want to boot Android, weighs in on the initial splash screen what to do
Your device has failed verification and may not work properly

Last edited:

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
After installing TWRP and rebooting, does not want to boot Android, weighs in on the initial splash screen what to do
Your device has failed verification and may not work properly
Weird, when it says your device has failed verification?

For me reboot works fine

Last edited: