• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Guide how to unlock bricked MCU units

Search This thread

Wadzio

Dec 28, 2017
©
I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your unit by flashing the recovery image.
You do it at your own risk and take the responsibility upon yourself.

Edit 20.05.2018
Updated mtcdmcutool to preapre FULL recovery image (Now after flash recovery image is possible to future update to newer/other version using the standard dmcu.img upload procedure :victory:)

Before you start you must know what is MCU and what is bricked MCU (this is not the same what bricked SOM: "my Android do not want boot", "my unit stucked at bootlogo" ...)

What you need:

Steps:
  • install ST-LINK utility on your PC
  • find pins on your board: SYS_SWCLK,SYS_SWDIO,+3.3V,GND. Some boards has special pinpads for that:
    board.jpg

board2.jpg

board3.jpg
  • connect appropriate wires to ST-LINK/V2 programmer and board
  • prepare recovery.bin using tool:
    Code:
    mtcdmcutool.exe -r dmcu.img recovery.bin
  • in ST-LINK utility connect to MCU. Should be identified as: STM32F091xB-xC
  • erase MCU (Target->erase chip)
  • program/flash file recovery.bin [Start address = 0x08000000]

There is another method to flash MCU.
Instead of ST-LINK/V2 programmer, it is possible to use TTL USBtoUART converter. But it requires a little bit more hardware modification. Maybe @Kayhan 17# will write some guide how to prepare and flash MCU. He did it already here

RemmeberThis is not FULL MCU firmware image. So you will not be able to change the MCU firmware to newer/other version using the standard dmcu.img upload procedure. If you want a newer version you must repeat flash MCU according to steps above

Last edited:

paniqueado

Sep 11, 2010
Guadalajara
Hello!
This will work for a PX5? My head unit won't turn on, just turn on the leds in the unit 3 times and nothing else. The seller is Witson (MX) and I never got into the recovery in this unit. I tried all the procedure that I read but none of them worked to get into recovery (except the one that requiere some hardware modifications).

Thank you!

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hello!
This will work for a PX5? My head unit won't turn on, just turn on the leds in the unit 3 times and nothing else. The seller is Witson (MX) and I never got into the recovery in this unit. I tried all the procedure that I read but none of them worked to get into recovery (except the one that requiere some hardware modifications).

Thank you!

No, sounds like your SOM or mainboard is faulty. I'd be happy to look at your unit, with return freight.

Reactions: paniqueado

paniqueado

Sep 11, 2010
Guadalajara
No, sounds like your SOM or mainboard is faulty. I'd be happy to look at your unit, with return freight.

That explains everything, hahaha. The unit came with a PX3, I installed Malaysk and it was working for a week, after I rebooted it one day it never turn on again. The seller sent me another PX3 board as warranty and it worked for 3 months, then it stop working suddenly one day when I turned on the car.
So then I bought a PX5 board, it worked for 6 months. One day I was driving using only Play Music app and the stereo froze, I turned off the car but the unit did not work again, so I removed it I re installed the original unit. Then after 4 months later I tried to fix it using a PSU but in the moment that I turned it on, the headunit boot and worked normally, I was happy and reinstalled it into my car, but it just worked for a few days. It stopped working when I turned on the car and it was on reverse gear, when I change to first gear the screen flashed and that's it (switch between camera and the main screen).
Sorry for the long story.

Where are you? To see how much is to send it. I can send it from the US.

Thank you!

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
That explains everything, hahaha. The unit came with a PX3, I installed Malaysk and it was working for a week, after I rebooted it one day it never turn on again. The seller sent me another PX3 board as warranty and it worked for 3 months, then it stop working suddenly one day when I turned on the car.
So then I bought a PX5 board, it worked for 6 months. One day I was driving using only Play Music app and the stereo froze, I turned off the car but the unit did not work again, so I removed it I re installed the original unit. Then after 4 months later I tried to fix it using a PSU but in the moment that I turned it on, the headunit boot and worked normally, I was happy and reinstalled it into my car, but it just worked for a few days. It stopped working when I turned on the car and it was on reverse gear, when I change to first gear the screen flashed and that's it (switch between camera and the main screen).

Thank you!

New Zealand. It sounds like it has a bad connection, or dry solder joint.

Wadzio

Dec 28, 2017
©
Hello!

It seems that MCU is working beacuse MCU is responsible for the blinking of leds. Just like @marchnz wrote, problem may be with wire connections. At the beginning check what the state of ACC, then ACC-DET is.

Reactions: paniqueado

sibeng

Apr 1, 2007
Yogya
@Wadzio. I was amazed to find this thread, hopefully can fix my PX5, the order of pins in my image is correct?

Attachments

• pin-saya.jpg
    pin-saya.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 3,141

sibeng

Apr 1, 2007
Yogya
Yes, those that pins but you wrong mark signlas. Look at the schematic:
2018_02_20_21h43_33.png

yes, wrong mark

Thank you, i'll try later

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

One more question, when the process will be run, the main power supply HU must be connected or not.
or just the + 3.3V power source from the ST-Link USB pin

Wadzio

Dec 28, 2017
©
yes, wrong mark

Thank you, i'll try later

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

One more question, when the process will be run, the main power supply HU must be connected or not.
or just the + 3.3V power source from the ST-Link USB pin

To be sure to turn it off.
+3.3V from ST-LINK for flashing is enough

sibeng

Apr 1, 2007
Yogya
can't perform erase chip, there is an error message when entering the erase chip menu
in another article said: unlock the flash by setting the read out protection to 0 using the ST-Link utility

Attachments

• 90e97a2f20679700e62eda37a4ec198f0033d873.png
    90e97a2f20679700e62eda37a4ec198f0033d873.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 954

sibeng

Apr 1, 2007
Yogya
ok after I update the ST-Link firmware, change the frequency to 1.8Mhz (do not know, useful or not), can successfully erase chip, but so will upload the .bin file, error again "no target connected", stuck at 0x080000B0.

On Log file: "System reset has not raised up after 2 seconds. Sys reset req"

I will not despair to try again ;)

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    67 KB · Views: 750
  • 2.png
    2.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 752
  • 4.png
    4.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:

Wadzio

Dec 28, 2017
©
ok after I update the ST-Link firmware, change the frequency to 1.8Mhz (do not know, useful or not), can successfully erase chip, but so will upload the .bin file, error again "no target connected", stuck at 0x080000B0.

On Log file: "System reset has not raised up after 2 seconds. Sys reset req"

I will not despair to try again ;)

Strange. Which tool do you use? ST-LINK v2 similar to that: link ?

---------- Post edited at 15:41 PM ----------
Maybe this link/conversation will help you: link

Last edited:

sibeng

Apr 1, 2007
Yogya
@Wadzio, You are amazing, really great. Your help is successful.

ST Link clue is, connect the main power suply when connecting with PC, can not use power supply from USB.

and managed to write MCU.

restart and upadate the firmware image.

Thank you very much, without you I will be confused.

greetings from Indonesia :good::good::good::good::good:

Attachments

• 4b47a007-d6e2-4df7-9630-61a2f35bec4f.jpg
    4b47a007-d6e2-4df7-9630-61a2f35bec4f.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 2,166
  • e238b2c5-f31c-4b5a-bcf6-98188c827c9d.jpg
    e238b2c5-f31c-4b5a-bcf6-98188c827c9d.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,120
  • 5.png
    5.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,067
  • 0dc64398-aaee-412b-ae1b-5a5c702700f0.jpg
    0dc64398-aaee-412b-ae1b-5a5c702700f0.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,922
Last edited:

Qwerty11111

Dec 15, 2016
Could anyone tell me How can I use mtcdtool.exe???
And how do I prepare recovery.bin????
Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your unit by flashing the recovery image.
    You do it at your own risk and take the responsibility upon yourself.

Edit 20.05.2018
    Updated mtcdmcutool to preapre FULL recovery image (Now after flash recovery image is possible to future update to newer/other version using the standard dmcu.img upload procedure :victory:)

Before you start you must know what is MCU and what is bricked MCU (this is not the same what bricked SOM: "my Android do not want boot", "my unit stucked at bootlogo" ...)

What you need:

Steps:
    • install ST-LINK utility on your PC
    • find pins on your board: SYS_SWCLK,SYS_SWDIO,+3.3V,GND. Some boards has special pinpads for that:
      board.jpg

board2.jpg

board3.jpg
    • connect appropriate wires to ST-LINK/V2 programmer and board
    • prepare recovery.bin using tool:
      Code:
      mtcdmcutool.exe -r dmcu.img recovery.bin
    • in ST-LINK utility connect to MCU. Should be identified as: STM32F091xB-xC
    • erase MCU (Target->erase chip)
    • program/flash file recovery.bin [Start address = 0x08000000]

There is another method to flash MCU.
    Instead of ST-LINK/V2 programmer, it is possible to use TTL USBtoUART converter. But it requires a little bit more hardware modification. Maybe @Kayhan 17# will write some guide how to prepare and flash MCU. He did it already here

RemmeberThis is not FULL MCU firmware image. So you will not be able to change the MCU firmware to newer/other version using the standard dmcu.img upload procedure. If you want a newer version you must repeat flash MCU according to steps above
    @Wadzio, You are amazing, really great. Your help is successful.

ST Link clue is, connect the main power suply when connecting with PC, can not use power supply from USB.

and managed to write MCU.

restart and upadate the firmware image.

Thank you very much, without you I will be confused.

greetings from Indonesia :good::good::good::good::good:

Thank you!

New Zealand. It sounds like it has a bad connection, or dry solder joint.
    I assume this is only for MTXX MCU?

I have this unit

Yes, thats why the thread is in the MTCD section.
    @Wadzio. I was amazed to find this thread, hopefully can fix my PX5, the order of pins in my image is correct?

Yes, those that pads but you wrong mark signlas. Look at the schematic:
    2018_02_20_21h43_33.png

For me should be:
    2018_02_20_22h00_45.png

But the surest solution is to check the connection between the pads and CPU pins (according to the scheme of course)