Guide how to unlock bricked MCU units

Search This thread

FETHIMAROK

Apr 27, 2011
problème mtcdmcutool.exe

Bonjour ! Je veux essayer de reflasher le MCU moi-même, je ne comprends pas la procédure de recodage du fichier pour le firmware, mtcdmcutool.exe ouvre la ligne de commande et se ferme immédiatement. Que faire? Aidez-vous enfin à le comprendre. Merci!

Please spend some time reading the forums.
good evening here I come back to you because I find nothing concerning my MCU my question is to know if I can change my MCU

FETHIMAROK

Apr 27, 2011
good evening here I come back to you because I find nothing concerning my MCU my question is to know if I can change my MCU

FETHIMAROK

Apr 27, 2011
If you like someone can explain to me the procedure to recover a device blocked black screen because I blocked it with SP FLASH TOOL

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_101913.jpg
    IMG_20210416_101913.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210428_071014.jpg
    IMG_20210428_071014.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
If you like someone can explain to me the procedure to recover a device blocked black screen because I blocked it with SP FLASH TOOL

You don't have an MTCD device and your issue is not MCU. Try searching in the (Android head units) forum for information on your head unit.

Attempts to flash your mcu will likely render your unit completely useless.

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Youre in the wrong forum - you do not have an MTCD/E head unit, try the general android head unit forums.

Reactions: marchnz

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
One of my units is dead, no LEDs no signs of life at all (the SoM works in my spare unit so its not that).

So I spent 2 days trying this method, I managed to connect to the MCU eventually, but it was locked, I tried to set protection to 0, but the progress bar stopped towards the end of the process, then it disconnected. It took over 70 attempts at re-trying but finally I could reconnect (it only worked with external power connected). This time I managed to successfully set protection to 0 and to successfully reflash the MCU !!

But the unit is the same - it remains dead, no LEDs no screen. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
One of my units is dead, no LEDs no signs of life at all (the SoM works in my spare unit so its not that).

So I spent 2 days trying this method, I managed to connect to the MCU eventually, but it was locked, I tried to set protection to 0, but the progress bar stopped towards the end of the process, then it disconnected. It took over 70 attempts at re-trying but finally I could reconnect (it only worked with external power connected). This time I managed to successfully set protection to 0 and to successfully reflash the MCU !!

But the unit is the same - it remains dead, no LEDs no screen. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

If you haven't already, confirm MCU supply lines are OK, MCU oscillator/xtal, reset Line.

If those are OK, turn toward checking MCU control of power supplies and that the power supplies are OK.

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Thanks very much for your for your reply Marc, not sure how to to any of that, could you explain ?

Power is definately getting through - I can feel a slight tingle on the metal back of the front as you can on some units (and even some metal phones when theyre charging), I cant actually remember if I felt this tingle before I recovered the MCU, though, I dont think so as I m sure I would have noticed it. Its a built in CAN Bus unit with a quad lock socket on the back, it also comes with another cable with power lines on that plugs into one of the smaller sockets on the back, when connected to power with this cable no tingle is felt on the back of the screen.

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Doh !!

Turns out this method DID work - built in CAN Bus units also require the red wire from the smaller sockets to be connected as well as the quad lock (the red wire is missing on the quad lock because CAN Bus controls it) and I forgot this.

In my defence I had spent a whole day trying to connect to the MCU and it was 12.30 am.

Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Doh !!

Turns out this method DID work - built in CAN Bus units also require the red wire from the smaller sockets to be connected as well as the quad lock (the read wire is missing on the quad lock because CAN Bus controls it) and I forgot this.

In my defence I had spend a whole day trying to connect to the MCU and it was 12.30 am.
You actually had a dead mcu and recovered it?

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Yep !

Do I detect some surprise ? Cos others seem to have done it too, I did need to connect a 12v power supply to get reliable results even though most (but not all) people didnt need to, maybe its unit dependent.

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
No, I hadnt used it for ages and when I tried to power it up it was dead.

Why the surprise - its been done before in this thread, or you just surprised that I had the ability to do it ? Lol.

rudyboler

Jun 15, 2018
Hello, I have a sterio with a PX6 board, I tried to update the MTC and I was left with a blue screen and a vertical line, I can recover it with the ST-LINK / V2 I have his MC from the seller if so I have to do the steps of the first post, thank you.
I put some photos of how it has been and the PX6 board.

I forgot the reset, it only turns the screen on and off, I can't get into the recovery.

Attachments

• IMG-20210929-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210929-WA0001.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Inked20210930_094518_LI.jpg
    Inked20210930_094518_LI.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hello, I have a sterio with a PX6 board, I tried to update the MTC and I was left with a blue screen and a vertical line, I can recover it with the ST-LINK / V2 I have his MC from the seller if so I have to do the steps of the first post, thank you.
I put some photos of how it has been and the PX6 board.

I forgot the reset, it only turns the screen on and off, I can't get into the recovery.

ST link is for MCU. Problem is SOM/Android, use OTG for recovery.

rudyboler

Jun 15, 2018
That's why I've put it here marchnz, because mine is a matter of MTC, which has blocked me, but if it doesn't go here if you could tell me where it goes I would appreciate it, but I don't see anything with the px6 board, thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your unit by flashing the recovery image.
    You do it at your own risk and take the responsibility upon yourself.

Edit 20.05.2018
    Updated mtcdmcutool to preapre FULL recovery image (Now after flash recovery image is possible to future update to newer/other version using the standard dmcu.img upload procedure :victory:)

Before you start you must know what is MCU and what is bricked MCU (this is not the same what bricked SOM: "my Android do not want boot", "my unit stucked at bootlogo" ...)

What you need:

Steps:
    • install ST-LINK utility on your PC
    • find pins on your board: SYS_SWCLK,SYS_SWDIO,+3.3V,GND. Some boards has special pinpads for that:
      board.jpg

board2.jpg

board3.jpg
    • connect appropriate wires to ST-LINK/V2 programmer and board
    • prepare recovery.bin using tool:
      Code:
      mtcdmcutool.exe -r dmcu.img recovery.bin
    • in ST-LINK utility connect to MCU. Should be identified as: STM32F091xB-xC
    • erase MCU (Target->erase chip)
    • program/flash file recovery.bin [Start address = 0x08000000]

There is another method to flash MCU.
    Instead of ST-LINK/V2 programmer, it is possible to use TTL USBtoUART converter. But it requires a little bit more hardware modification. Maybe @Kayhan 17# will write some guide how to prepare and flash MCU. He did it already here

RemmeberThis is not FULL MCU firmware image. So you will not be able to change the MCU firmware to newer/other version using the standard dmcu.img upload procedure. If you want a newer version you must repeat flash MCU according to steps above
    @Wadzio, You are amazing, really great. Your help is successful.

ST Link clue is, connect the main power suply when connecting with PC, can not use power supply from USB.

and managed to write MCU.

restart and upadate the firmware image.

Thank you very much, without you I will be confused.

greetings from Indonesia :good::good::good::good::good:
    That explains everything, hahaha. The unit came with a PX3, I installed Malaysk and it was working for a week, after I rebooted it one day it never turn on again. The seller sent me another PX3 board as warranty and it worked for 3 months, then it stop working suddenly one day when I turned on the car.
    So then I bought a PX5 board, it worked for 6 months. One day I was driving using only Play Music app and the stereo froze, I turned off the car but the unit did not work again, so I removed it I re installed the original unit. Then after 4 months later I tried to fix it using a PSU but in the moment that I turned it on, the headunit boot and worked normally, I was happy and reinstalled it into my car, but it just worked for a few days. It stopped working when I turned on the car and it was on reverse gear, when I change to first gear the screen flashed and that's it (switch between camera and the main screen).
    Sorry for the long story.

Where are you? To see how much is to send it. I can send it from the US.

Thank you!

New Zealand. It sounds like it has a bad connection, or dry solder joint.
    I assume this is only for MTXX MCU?

I have this unit

Yes, thats why the thread is in the MTCD section.
    @Wadzio. I was amazed to find this thread, hopefully can fix my PX5, the order of pins in my image is correct?

Yes, those that pads but you wrong mark signlas. Look at the schematic:
    2018_02_20_21h43_33.png

For me should be:
    2018_02_20_22h00_45.png

But the surest solution is to check the connection between the pads and CPU pins (according to the scheme of course)