[Guide] How-to Unlock, Root, TWRP, ROMs, Google Apps, Magisk

Search This thread

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
I will try to mention all people from who I take sources from. If I forgot anyone, please don't hesitate to tell me.
If you have change requests or useful additions, I will try to update the original posts ASAP.

Change log
Latest:
Code:
2020-005-17 11:02 AM UTC
+ Added GCam and working xml configurations
+ Added Guide to install TWRP
previous:

Code:
2020-05-16 6:09 PM UTC
o Updated MIUIMix and MIUI 12 Beta ROM links
- Deleted remaining references to Telegram channels

2020-05-14 12:01 PM UTC
+ Added Google Play guide
+ Added GCam links for Mi 10 Pro
- Removed LR.Team TWRP, due to it being closed source
- Removed telegram group names, due to new rules on XDA

2020-05-11 03:17 PM UTC
+ Added Flashing guides
+ Restructured guides

2020-05-09 10:16 AM UTC
+ Added MIUI MIX Rom
+ Added Magisk links & howto

2020-05-08 10:27 PM UTC
+ Added TWRP links
+ Added ROM links

2020-05-09 7:25 PM UTC
+ Created thread

Chat Group
Telegram links not allowed anymore. Please try to participate in on XDA, if you still need immediate help you can try finding telegram links for the Mi 10 Pro on Google

1. Resources
1.1 ROMs

Explanation of ROM types:
Recovery can be flashed through the Updater app on your phone (if locked, chinese device can only flash chinese ROM, global device can only flash global ROM) or better through TWRP Recovery (if unlocked, can of course flash any region). EEA=European ROM.
Fastboot can be flashed by connecting your phone through USB and use XiaoMi Flash Tool or fastboot.
xiaomi.eu a ROM based on the chinese MIUI ROM but modified to include over 10 languages, removed chinese bloatware and optimized
Custom ROMs based on AOSP (open source basic android system, without MIUI additions) can be flashed by TWRP (if bootloader unlocked)

1.1.1 Official MIUI
MIUI 11
Recovery
China Stable V11.0.17.0.QJACNXM
EEA Global Stable V11.0.10.0.QJAEUXM

Fastboot
EEA Stable V11.0.7.0

MIUI 12
Recovery
MIUI 12 20.5.14 Chinese Closed Beta
MIUI 12 20.4.27 Chinese Closed Beta

1.1.2 xiaomi.eu
Based on MIUI 12/11, Android 10 (from MIUI CN weekly)
MIUI 12
MIUI 11

1.1.3 mi-globe
Based on MIUI 12 Android 10 (from xiaomi.eu)
Download

1.1.4 MIUIMix
Stable 2.2.0 V11.0.16.0.QJACNXM v11-10
Weekly 20.5.14 v12-10 20200515

1.1.5 RevOS MIUI
N/A

1.1.6 Mi-room.ru
N/A

1.2 TWRP recovery

TWRP by LR.Team Wzsx150
Careful: this is closed source and can potentially contain malware/rootkits. Therefore not allowed to share on XDA, if you really want to try, search for LR.Team or Wzsx mi 10 pro on google/baidu.

TWRP by xiaomi.eu
Here

TWRP by simonsmh
Here

Official TWRP
N/A

OrangeFox TWRP
N/A

1.3 Best Google Camera (GCam) builds

Most available GCam builds for all sorts of Android devices can be found here
Specific configuration files and working builds of GCam for the Mi 10 Pro can be found here or on telegram.

What are builds?
GCam is originally only working on Google Pixel phones. People started to mod the original apk in order to make it compatible with different non-pixel devices. Those modders create custom builds. Some work on the Mi 10 Pro, some are intended for other devices.

What are config xml files?
Because those custom GCam builds have so many advanced settings, people share their configuration as XML files. If one setting works for a specific device and GCam build, you can just install that build and load those XML settings instead of trying to fine tune everything by yourself.

How to load an XML in GCam?
Copy the XML file to internal storage /GCam/Configs7/. Open your GCam build, double tap on the black background next to the shutter button. A popup should appear, allowing you to chose your XML file.

Known good combinations for Mi 10 Pro:
Sources: "Xiaomi Mi 10/Pro/Note - Google Camera" Telegram group, Dennis XMLs

2. Guides

2.1 Unlock bootloader

1. On your phone, login to your Miui Account, if you don't have an account, create one. That's under Settings > MI Account
  2. Enable developer mode on your phone, under Settings > My Device > All Specs > Tap on MIUI version 5 times until the toast notification tells you that you're a developer
  3. Go into Settings > Additional Settings > Developer options > Enable: OEM unlocking, then go into MI Unlock status and "Add account and device". (If you get an error messages, you need to use a VPN app and connect to a city in Mainland China, like Beijing)
  4. Download and run http://en.miui.com/unlock/ the unlocker app on your computer, login with your MI Account. The first time you may have to apply for Unlocking permissions with your MI Account. The SMS confirmation code they send you may take several days to arrive. Please be patient and don't try to unlock your device before.
  5. After you got your SMS confirmation code, enter it in the unlocker application on your computer and connect your phone via USB
  6. Try to unlock your phone.
  7. Sometimes Xiaomi will force you to wait a certain amount of hours until you can unlock. This is annoying, but you have to wait. No workaround.

2.2 Install recovery (TWRP)

1. Open the folder where you downloaded a TWRP img file (make sure it's the right version, that is intended for your device (cmi = Mi 10 Pro | umi = Mi 10). If the file is inside a ZIP/RAR extract it until you have the .img file)
  2. Install minimal adb & fastboot on your windows PC (instructions for OSX, Linux, Windows)
  3. open fastboot in your command prompt (on windows: start -> type fastboot -> ENTER, a CMD window should open)
  4. Turn off your phone and wait a few seconds.
  5. Press your phone's Power button and Volume down button at the same time.
  6. When the display turns on and the first logo appears, release the power button but keep the volume down button pressed. You should see fastboot on your screen
  7. Connect your Phone via USB with your computer
  8. On your computer in the fastboot console type
    Code:
    fastboot boot
  9. and press your space bar afterwards, to add a space. Don't press enter yet! Now drag your twrp.img file that you have prepared in step 1 and drop it inside your console window, this will add the whole path to your twrp.img file in the console. It will look something like
    Code:
    fastboot boot C:\Users\yourname\Desktop\twrp.img
  10. Press enter, this boots TWRP without installing it onto your device, in case there are problems with that TWRP version. If your phone successfully boots into TWRP and there are no problems, you can turn off your device and boot into fastboot again (step 5)
  11. Now enter the following into fastboot console on your computer:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
  12. Press enter. This installs twrp onto your device. Now reboot your device by typing:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  13. And hit enter. From now on you can now turn off your device and boot directly into TWRP from your phone by pressing the power button and volume up button at the same time.

Warning: MIUI (official ROMs) overwrite custom recoveries when you flash a MIUI ROM (update) zip in TWRP. You'll lose TWRP and Root every time you flash a new ROM zip. Flash Magisk after flashing a ROM zip. Then you can install TWRP via root app on Android, or repeat the steps from this tutorial on your computer.

2.3 Flash MIUI ROMs

CN/Global devices: Flashing official Global ROM on he CN device will disable the second SIM slot.

Requirements:
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • TWRP installed
  • Copied ROM zip to internal storage

1. Boot into TWRP
  2. Format /data (If you're coming from AOSP ROM or switching ROM bases (global/xiaomi.eu/chinese)
  3. Wipe Dalvik Cache
  4. Install ROM zip
  5. Boot into new ROM
  6. Optional: Reboot into TWRP, flash Magisk zip if you want root

2.4 Update MIUI ROMs

If your ROM base doesn't support OTA, or you using magisk, use the following method to flash an update
  1. Boot into TWRP
  2. Flash full ROM zip & flash Magisk
  3. Reboot

2.5 Flash AOSP ROMs

Requirements:
  • Unlocked
  • TWRP
  • Copy ROM zip to internal storage

1. Boot into TWRP
  2. Format /data
  3. Wipe Cache and Dalik
  4. Flash Firmware
  5. Flash ROM

2.6 Rollback from AOSP to MIUI

1. Boot into TWRP
  2. Format /data
  3. Flash ROM zip
  4. Wipe Cache and Dalvik
  5. Reboot

2.7 Install Magisk (root)

How to flash Magisk the common way
  1. Download and copy the latest Magisk install zip to your device
  2. Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed
  3. boot into TWRP
  4. in TWRP: install latest Magisk-vxx.x.zip
  5. Reboot

2.8 Install Google Play Store on Chinese ROMs

Simply download and install the official Google Play APK

2.9 Not passing Safety Net with Magisk?

xiaomi.eu and official ROMs with Magisk should pass Safety Net according to pelayogrgi2c.
If that doesn't work, try the following:
  1. Install MagiskHide Props Config in MagiskManager Modules
  2. Reboot phone
  3. Install Terminal Android, and start it.
  4. Give it root permissions
  5. type in the terminal window:
    Code:
    su
    props
    fingerprint
    use a certified fingerprint, example for the mix2s:
  6. Code:
    Xiaomi/polaris/polaris:8.0.0/OPR1.170623.032/V9.5.15.0.ODGCNFA:user/release-keys

Info: You can enable developer mode, turn on USB debugging and use ADB on your PC instead of the terminal on your android. After installing Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC, search for the link in your start menu and open it. A black CMD window should appear where you can type commands after you connect your PC with your phone, and allow ADB on your phone. Then enter:
Code:
adb devices
adb shell
Enter the commands in the tutorial above

2.10 Enable Google Maps Location Sharing & Location History on Chinese MIUI ROM

You need Magisk properly installed on your ROM and then download & install the following modules:
Unlock CN GMS v2

Sources

Last edited:

james1089

Jan 14, 2010
blackpool
MOD EDIT: Quote of the whole OP removed due to readability
The framework was included in my cn version of mi 10 pro, just install play store APK, thanks for the guides and link's.

Last edited by a moderator:

pelayogrgi2c

Jan 21, 2013
But with the official rom or xiaomi.eu it passes safetynet without problems with magisk installed without doing everything you say.

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
But with the official rom or xiaomi.eu it passes safetynet without problems with magisk installed without doing everything you say.

That's great news. I'll update the post.
I couldn't verify it because my device is still locked, as I have to wait 5 more days to unlock.

On Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S we had to use a spoofed device fingerprint in order to let Safetynet pass, therefore I assumed it would be the same here.

zencooler

Jul 9, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Guys,
Can you clarify one question, please? There is an info here that flashing official Global ROM on he CN device will disable the second SIM slot.
I guess it is only warning for global ROM and If I install 11.2 xiaomi.eu on CN device so it will be working fine with dual SIM?
Please confirm. Thanks in advance! Regards.

Reactions: ltth

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
Guys,
Can you clarify one question, please? There is an info here that flashing official Global ROM on he CN device will disable the second SIM slot.
I guess it is only warning for global ROM and If I install 11.2 xiaomi.eu on CN device so it will be working fine with dual SIM?

Yes xiaomi.eu rom will allow you to use both sim slots on mi 10 pro cn.

brownah92

Apr 5, 2018
Hi anybody tried flashing any gsi? Does it work and is it useable? Hardware on this phone is just asking for stock android for a beast of a device.

james1089

Jan 14, 2010
blackpool
Hi anybody tried flashing any gsi? Does it work and is it useable? Hardware on this phone is just asking for stock android for a beast of a device.
Apparently you need to restore Xiaomi recovery and flash via fastboot, not tried myself

fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot flash system FILE.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

galr

Jun 18, 2014
Hmmm...wonder if this device will receive much dev support. Mi 8, Mi 9 were fantastic

I hope so. That's my first Xiaomi device :)
I bought the Chinese version.
Right now it is unlocked, rooted , on EU ROM (MIUI12) and with a gcam version that supports all rear lenses.
For some reason Energized doesn't work for me though, but that's for a different thread.
Btw, I did not use this method to root. I just rooted by clicking the root button in the China certain TWRP. Then flashed Magisk and walla.

sarichter

Nov 4, 2011
Phoenix
Flash Magisk

Is it possible to install Magisk on the Mi phones with the Huawei method without TWRP? I was hoping to unlock the bootloader, install Magisk, reboot, uninstall bloatware, then re-lock the bootloader so I can still using payment apps like Google Pay. Thoughts anyone?

s3axel

Mar 4, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Is it possible to install Magisk on the Mi phones with the Huawei method without TWRP? I was hoping to unlock the bootloader, install Magisk, reboot, uninstall bloatware, then re-lock the bootloader so I can still using payment apps like Google Pay. Thoughts anyone?

The system partition is read-only these days, so Magisk can debloat by its systemless approach. But this needs Magisk to be installed and running. As this is only possible with an unlocked bootloader (if you relock you get a soft- maybe a hardbrick !) I don't think this will work....

For debloat alone you can do so via ADB commands, no need for root or unlocking bootloader here ! If you search for "adb debloat" you should find numerous threads describing the procedure.

sarichter

Nov 4, 2011
Phoenix
The system partition is read-only these days, so Magisk can debloat by its systemless approach. But this needs Magisk to be installed and running. As this is only possible with an unlocked bootloader (if you relock you get a soft- maybe a hardbrick !) I don't think this will work....

For debloat alone you can do so via ADB commands, no need for root or unlocking bootloader here ! If you search for "adb debloat" you should find numerous threads describing the procedure.

Now that is fantastic information. Thank you!

Anonshe

Aug 11, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
That's great news. I'll update the post.
I couldn't verify it because my device is still locked, as I have to wait 5 more days to unlock.

On Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S we had to use a spoofed device fingerprint in order to let Safetynet pass, therefore I assumed it would be the same here.

Yeah from Magisk 20.4 onwards, changing fingerprint isn't necessary as it spoofs the Pixel 2 fingerprint by default as long as Magisk Hide is enabled.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will try to mention all people from who I take sources from. If I forgot anyone, please don't hesitate to tell me.
    If you have change requests or useful additions, I will try to update the original posts ASAP.

Change log
    Latest:
    Code:
    2020-005-17 11:02 AM UTC
    + Added GCam and working xml configurations
    + Added Guide to install TWRP
    previous:

Code:
    2020-05-16 6:09 PM UTC
    o Updated MIUIMix and MIUI 12 Beta ROM links
    - Deleted remaining references to Telegram channels

2020-05-14 12:01 PM UTC
    + Added Google Play guide
    + Added GCam links for Mi 10 Pro
    - Removed LR.Team TWRP, due to it being closed source
    - Removed telegram group names, due to new rules on XDA

2020-05-11 03:17 PM UTC
    + Added Flashing guides
    + Restructured guides

2020-05-09 10:16 AM UTC
    + Added MIUI MIX Rom
    + Added Magisk links & howto

2020-05-08 10:27 PM UTC
    + Added TWRP links
    + Added ROM links

2020-05-09 7:25 PM UTC
    + Created thread

Chat Group
    Telegram links not allowed anymore. Please try to participate in on XDA, if you still need immediate help you can try finding telegram links for the Mi 10 Pro on Google

1. Resources
    1.1 ROMs

Explanation of ROM types:
    Recovery can be flashed through the Updater app on your phone (if locked, chinese device can only flash chinese ROM, global device can only flash global ROM) or better through TWRP Recovery (if unlocked, can of course flash any region). EEA=European ROM.
    Fastboot can be flashed by connecting your phone through USB and use XiaoMi Flash Tool or fastboot.
    xiaomi.eu a ROM based on the chinese MIUI ROM but modified to include over 10 languages, removed chinese bloatware and optimized
    Custom ROMs based on AOSP (open source basic android system, without MIUI additions) can be flashed by TWRP (if bootloader unlocked)

1.1.1 Official MIUI
    MIUI 11
    Recovery
    China Stable V11.0.17.0.QJACNXM
    EEA Global Stable V11.0.10.0.QJAEUXM

Fastboot
    EEA Stable V11.0.7.0

MIUI 12
    Recovery
    MIUI 12 20.5.14 Chinese Closed Beta
    MIUI 12 20.4.27 Chinese Closed Beta

1.1.2 xiaomi.eu
    Based on MIUI 12/11, Android 10 (from MIUI CN weekly)
    MIUI 12
    MIUI 11

1.1.3 mi-globe
    Download

1.1.4 MIUIMix
    Stable 2.2.0 V11.0.16.0.QJACNXM v11-10
    Weekly 20.5.14 v12-10 20200515

1.1.5 RevOS MIUI
    N/A

1.1.6 Mi-room.ru
    N/A

1.2 TWRP recovery

TWRP by LR.Team Wzsx150
    Careful: this is closed source and can potentially contain malware/rootkits. Therefore not allowed to share on XDA, if you really want to try, search for LR.Team or Wzsx mi 10 pro on google/baidu.

TWRP by xiaomi.eu
    Here

TWRP by simonsmh
    Here

Official TWRP
    N/A

OrangeFox TWRP
    N/A

1.3 Best Google Camera (GCam) builds

Most available GCam builds for all sorts of Android devices can be found here
    Specific configuration files and working builds of GCam for the Mi 10 Pro can be found here or on telegram.

What are builds?
    GCam is originally only working on Google Pixel phones. People started to mod the original apk in order to make it compatible with different non-pixel devices. Those modders create custom builds. Some work on the Mi 10 Pro, some are intended for other devices.

What are config xml files?
    Because those custom GCam builds have so many advanced settings, people share their configuration as XML files. If one setting works for a specific device and GCam build, you can just install that build and load those XML settings instead of trying to fine tune everything by yourself.

How to load an XML in GCam?
    Copy the XML file to internal storage /GCam/Configs7/. Open your GCam build, double tap on the black background next to the shutter button. A popup should appear, allowing you to chose your XML file.

Known good combinations for Mi 10 Pro:
    Sources: "Xiaomi Mi 10/Pro/Note - Google Camera" Telegram group, Dennis XMLs

2. Guides

2.1 Unlock bootloader

1. On your phone, login to your Miui Account, if you don't have an account, create one. That's under Settings > MI Account
    2. Enable developer mode on your phone, under Settings > My Device > All Specs > Tap on MIUI version 5 times until the toast notification tells you that you're a developer
    3. Go into Settings > Additional Settings > Developer options > Enable: OEM unlocking, then go into MI Unlock status and "Add account and device". (If you get an error messages, you need to use a VPN app and connect to a city in Mainland China, like Beijing)
    4. Download and run http://en.miui.com/unlock/ the unlocker app on your computer, login with your MI Account. The first time you may have to apply for Unlocking permissions with your MI Account. The SMS confirmation code they send you may take several days to arrive. Please be patient and don't try to unlock your device before.
    5. After you got your SMS confirmation code, enter it in the unlocker application on your computer and connect your phone via USB
    6. Try to unlock your phone.
    7. Sometimes Xiaomi will force you to wait a certain amount of hours until you can unlock. This is annoying, but you have to wait. No workaround.

2.2 Install recovery (TWRP)

1. Open the folder where you downloaded a TWRP img file (make sure it's the right version, that is intended for your device (cmi = Mi 10 Pro | umi = Mi 10). If the file is inside a ZIP/RAR extract it until you have the .img file)
    2. Install minimal adb & fastboot on your windows PC (instructions for OSX, Linux, Windows)
    3. open fastboot in your command prompt (on windows: start -> type fastboot -> ENTER, a CMD window should open)
    4. Turn off your phone and wait a few seconds.
    5. Press your phone's Power button and Volume down button at the same time.
    6. When the display turns on and the first logo appears, release the power button but keep the volume down button pressed. You should see fastboot on your screen
    7. Connect your Phone via USB with your computer
    8. On your computer in the fastboot console type
      Code:
      fastboot boot
    9. and press your space bar afterwards, to add a space. Don't press enter yet! Now drag your twrp.img file that you have prepared in step 1 and drop it inside your console window, this will add the whole path to your twrp.img file in the console. It will look something like
      Code:
      fastboot boot C:\Users\yourname\Desktop\twrp.img
    10. Press enter, this boots TWRP without installing it onto your device, in case there are problems with that TWRP version. If your phone successfully boots into TWRP and there are no problems, you can turn off your device and boot into fastboot again (step 5)
    11. Now enter the following into fastboot console on your computer:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    12. Press enter. This installs twrp onto your device. Now reboot your device by typing:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    13. And hit enter. From now on you can now turn off your device and boot directly into TWRP from your phone by pressing the power button and volume up button at the same time.

Warning: MIUI (official ROMs) overwrite custom recoveries when you flash a MIUI ROM (update) zip in TWRP. You'll lose TWRP and Root every time you flash a new ROM zip. Flash Magisk after flashing a ROM zip. Then you can install TWRP via root app on Android, or repeat the steps from this tutorial on your computer.

2.3 Flash MIUI ROMs

CN/Global devices: Flashing official Global ROM on he CN device will disable the second SIM slot.

Requirements:
    • Unlocked bootloader
    • TWRP installed
    • Copied ROM zip to internal storage

1. Boot into TWRP
    2. Format /data (If you're coming from AOSP ROM or switching ROM bases (global/xiaomi.eu/chinese)
    3. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    4. Install ROM zip
    5. Boot into new ROM
    6. Optional: Reboot into TWRP, flash Magisk zip if you want root

2.4 Update MIUI ROMs

If your ROM base doesn't support OTA, or you using magisk, use the following method to flash an update
    1. Boot into TWRP
    2. Flash full ROM zip & flash Magisk
    3. Reboot

2.5 Flash AOSP ROMs

Requirements:
    • Unlocked
    • TWRP
    • Copy ROM zip to internal storage

1. Boot into TWRP
    2. Format /data
    3. Wipe Cache and Dalik
    4. Flash Firmware
    5. Flash ROM

2.6 Rollback from AOSP to MIUI

1. Boot into TWRP
    2. Format /data
    3. Flash ROM zip
    4. Wipe Cache and Dalvik
    5. Reboot

2.7 Install Magisk (root)

How to flash Magisk the common way
    1. Download and copy the latest Magisk install zip to your device
    2. Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed
    3. boot into TWRP
    4. in TWRP: install latest Magisk-vxx.x.zip
    5. Reboot

2.8 Install Google Play Store on Chinese ROMs

Simply download and install the official Google Play APK

2.9 Not passing Safety Net with Magisk?

xiaomi.eu and official ROMs with Magisk should pass Safety Net according to pelayogrgi2c.
    If that doesn't work, try the following:
    1. Install MagiskHide Props Config in MagiskManager Modules
    2. Reboot phone
    3. Install Terminal Android, and start it.
    4. Give it root permissions
    5. type in the terminal window:
      Code:
      su
      props
      fingerprint
      use a certified fingerprint, example for the mix2s:
    6. Code:
      Xiaomi/polaris/polaris:8.0.0/OPR1.170623.032/V9.5.15.0.ODGCNFA:user/release-keys

Info: You can enable developer mode, turn on USB debugging and use ADB on your PC instead of the terminal on your android. After installing Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC, search for the link in your start menu and open it. A black CMD window should appear where you can type commands after you connect your PC with your phone, and allow ADB on your phone. Then enter:
    Code:
    adb devices
    adb shell
    Enter the commands in the tutorial above

2.10 Enable Google Maps Location Sharing & Location History on Chinese MIUI ROM

You need Magisk properly installed on your ROM and then download & install the following modules:
    Unlock CN GMS v2

Sources
    Guys,

Yes xiaomi.eu rom will allow you to use both sim slots on mi 10 pro cn.
    Guys,