How To Guide [GUIDE] How to unlock the bootloader for Nokia 2.2

Search This thread

kevriveroc

Jun 30, 2022
Has anybody tried flashing TWRP over stock Android 9 used on this guide? Whenever I do, the phone gets soft bricked and I have to re-download ROM using SP Flashtool.

kevriveroc

Jun 30, 2022
The twrp is for Android 11
Can I update to Android 11, flash TWRP and then downgrade back to Android 9?

I find it's the most stable and best-performing Android version for this phone. 10 and 11 have given me lots of camera, screen and software bugs, apart from the well-known performance drop (catastrophic in an already not-so-fast phone).

phrunz

Jul 23, 2022
Hi everyone, thanks to this great guide I was able to unlock the bootloader without issues.

However, when trying to flash an img via fastboot, I always end up with the same error type (console output below):

fastboot flash system system-squeak-arm64-ab-vndklite-floss-secure.img
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magic
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 708911124 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 574697492 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 440483860 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 306270228 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 172056596 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 37842964 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
erasing 'system_b'...
OKAY [ 0.151s]
sending sparse 'system_b' 1/7 (131068 KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 708911124 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
OKAY [ 3.421s]
writing 'system_b' 1/7...
FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
finished. total time: 5.385s

Any ideas, what is going wrong here? Thanks in advance for any hints!

PS: I am using a Linux desktop.

razabhatti

Jan 12, 2019
Hi 😊
Anyone can Tell Me why Now i can't boot Any gsi.

I Flash Crdroid 8.4 LINK provided in Form i flash via fastboot and Flash vbmeta .. android 9/11 but I boot Into gsi Its Gone to recovery menu To perform factory reset .. i reset and Again reboot Then Its Back boot to Recovery To perform factory reset
Cz its saying system files is currupted

I tried Phh gsi Latest version but Same Can't boot

My device also Updated to latest build

razabhatti

Jan 12, 2019
Screenshot_20220805-025259.png
hi all check this .. this treble info app saying i need to use this file file name gsi its isn't mention vndk version to flash

razabhatti

Jan 12, 2019
GSI Installation Steps

1. Install Android 11 firmware base. While 10 might work as well, I haven't tested it. Android 9 firmware did not work for me, but it's been a while since the last time I tested (might work with latest GSI's).

2. Flash an ARM64 A/B VNDKLITE GSI variant, with fastboot, TWRP or terminal (cat, dd, etc.).
fastboot flash system system-squeak-arm64-ab-vndklite-floss-secure.img

3. Factory reset with one of these three methods:
- Stock recovery (recommended);
- fastboot -w;
- TWRP's "format data" option.

Notes
- I assume everyone already knows how to unlock the bootloader, root, and flash vbmeta.
- Only secure VNDKLITE flavors are booting.
Bro This Vndklite varient not now work for mee

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To moderators: There's no Nokia 2.2 forum in XDA-Developers, please move this topic when available.
    To content farms: DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE GUIDE!

Now the last piece of puzzle of Nokia x.2 series bootloader unlock line has been completed, thanks to the help of a member called Woke_World.
    After I read his procedure, I decided to optimize the entire procedure and use my own firmware file to achieve it.

Step 1: Do full backup
    (For this case please use SP Flash Tool 5.1924 or newer that can be found on spflashtool.com )

The firmware for this procedure can be downloaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693749336
    SHA256: D056631A8A795A06795B3A4E5F334DBF9B55C3C71269831F8E7926FA3ABA5637

Please follow the procedure in this topic to do readback: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-global-nokia-5-1-plus-unbrick-guide.3858253/
    For this case, you need to keep Download Agent file as the same came with SP Flash Tool, and altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt

Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
    Code:
    nvcfg.img
    nvram.img
    proinfo.img
    protect1.img
    protect2.img

DO NOT SKIP STEP 1, OR YOUR PHONE WILL NOT HAVE IMEI AND SN!

Step 2: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with altunlock scatter file
    Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with this scatter file: "altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt"
    Once flash complete, disconnect the phone.

Step 3: Bootloader unlock
    Press and hold volume down key and connect to PC - keep that condition for around 12 seconds then the phone will boot to Fastboot mode.
    Execute these 2 commands to perform bootloader unlock:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing lock_critical
    fastboot oem unlock

Look at your phone and press volume up to confirm unlock. Once done, disconnect the phone and remove the battery, wait 5 seconds and place the battery back.

Step 4: Do readback again
    Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
    Code:
    sec1.img
    seccfg.img

Step 5: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with original scatter file
    Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with the original scatter file named as "MT6761_Android_scatter.txt" - note there's no altunlock at the beginning of filename.
    Once flash complete, disconnect the phone.

Step 6: Power on the phone and enable USB debugging, root the phone with MTK Easy SU
    [NOTE: DO NOT INSERT ANY SIM CARDS AND YOU MUST SKIP INTERNET CONNECTION]

You can download the MTK Easy SU apk from here : https://github.com/JunioJsv/mtk-easy-su/releases/latest
    And Magisk APK from here : https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases/latest

When you have both MTK Easy Su and Magisk APK installed, please enable the "Run as 64 Bits" option, and tap the hash (#) button to enable root.
    Once root complete, we can now re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI.

Step 7: Re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI
    Please copy the 7 img files to your phone's internal storage:
    Code:
    nvcfg.img
    nvram.img
    proinfo.img
    protect1.img
    protect2.img
    sec1.img
    seccfg.img
    We assume you copied them to root directory of internal storage (a.k.a. /storage/emulated/0/ )

Then execute these commands on your PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvcfg
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvram.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvram
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/proinfo.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/proinfo
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect1
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect2.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect2
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/sec1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sec1
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/seccfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/seccfg

When it's done, please perform factory reset to apply the NVRAM restoration.

Please watch this video for entire procedure demonstration:

That wraps up the entire procedure of bootloader unlock, and have fun for modding this device!

Credits:
    Woke_World from triple-color company product community
    diplomatic for his MTK-SU Exploit and simplified utility called JunioJsv
    topjohnwu for MagiskSU
    @areallydumbperson @VR25

You may notice that this thread now is located at its own Nokia 2.2 forum.

Along with this change, several other threads have been moved to this forum as well.

Please report any thread outside this forum needs to be moved. Thank you very much and hope you enjoy the new place for Nokia 2.2. :D
    TWRP 11 Bugfix:

Fixed system refusing to mount (finally) thanks lopestorm :) ur fstab flie really helped me out
    bootloops from twrp.me is soon gonna be fixed hopefully i have made a pull request in their git
    more partitions should be able to be backed up (again thanks to lopestorm)