• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE] How to unlock the bootloader for Nokia 2.2

Search This thread

TheBeast941

Apr 6, 2021
WHAAAAT YOU GOTTA SEND ME THAT TWRP IMAGE BRO
It's not fully functional, flashing and ADB Sideload works but you have to format your phone to be able to read from internal storage, and MTP does not work.

With that in mind, here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pWqu7rdTyu4q4Bos4zOGBrlxLoI1RJKp/view

Remember that this is not an official image and simply just a lazy port of TWRP by unpacking, swapping files and repacking so there might be bugs.

I would have wanted to get it working with Magisk but every time I tried tinkering with files I could only get Magisk or TWRP to work, but not both at the same time.

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
It's not fully functional, flashing and ADB Sideload works but you have to format your phone to be able to read from internal storage, and MTP does not work.

With that in mind, here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pWqu7rdTyu4q4Bos4zOGBrlxLoI1RJKp/view

Remember that this is not an official image and simply just a lazy port of TWRP by unpacking, swapping files and repacking so there might be bugs.

I would have wanted to get it working with Magisk every time I tried tinkering with files I could only get Magisk or TWRP to work, but not both at the same time.
oh ok with that in mind ill remove my magisk img

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021

I would have wanted to get it working with Magisk but every time I tried tinkering with files I could only get Magisk or TWRP to work, but not both at the same time.
i do fastboot boot TWRP.Img and it didnt work :(

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Now the last piece of puzzle of Nokia x.2 series bootloader unlock line has been completed, thanks to the help of a member called Woke_World.
After I read his procedure, I decided to optimize the entire procedure and use my own firmware file to achieve it.

Step 1: Do full backup
(For this case please use SP Flash Tool 5.1924 or newer that can be found on spflashtool.com )

The firmware for this procedure can be downloaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693749336
SHA256: D056631A8A795A06795B3A4E5F334DBF9B55C3C71269831F8E7926FA3ABA5637

Please follow the procedure in this topic to do readback: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-global-nokia-5-1-plus-unbrick-guide.3858253/
For this case, you need to keep Download Agent file as the same came with SP Flash Tool, and altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt

Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
Code:
nvcfg.img
nvram.img
proinfo.img
protect1.img
protect2.img

Step 2: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with altunlock scatter file
Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with this scatter file: "altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt"
Once flash complete, disconnect the phone.

Step 3: Bootloader unlock
Press and hold volume down key and connect to PC - keep that condition for around 12 seconds then the phone will boot to Fastboot mode.
Execute these 2 commands to perform bootloader unlock:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock_critical
fastboot oem unlock

Look at your phone and press volume up to confirm unlock. Once done, disconnect the phone and remove the battery, wait 5 seconds and place the battery back.

Step 4: Do readback again
Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
Code:
sec1.img
seccfg.img

Step 5: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with original scatter file
Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with the original scatter file named as "MT6761_Android_scatter.txt" - note there's no altunlock at the beginning of filename.

Step 6: Power on the phone and enable USB debugging, root the phone with MTK Easy SU
[NOTE: DO NOT INSERT ANY SIM CARDS AND YOU MUST SKIP INTERNET CONNECTION]

You can download the MTK Easy SU apk from here : https://github.com/JunioJsv/mtk-easy-su/releases/latest
And Magisk APK from here : https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases/latest

When you have both MTK Easy Su and Magisk APK installed, please enable the "Run as 64 Bits" option, and tap the hash (#) button to enable root.
Once root complete, we can now re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI.

Step 7: Re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI
Please copy the 7 img files to your phone's internal storage:
Code:
nvcfg.img
nvram.img
proinfo.img
protect1.img
protect2.img
sec1.img
seccfg.img
We assume you copied them to root directory of internal storage (a.k.a. /storage/emulated/0/ )

Then execute these commands on your PC:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvcfg
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvram.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvram
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/proinfo.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/proinfo
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect1
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect2.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect2
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/sec1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sec1
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/seccfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/seccfg

When it's done, please perform factory reset to apply the NVRAM restoration.

Please watch this video for entire procedure demonstration:

That wraps up the entire procedure of bootloader unlock, and have fun for modding this device!

Credits:
Woke_World from triple-color company product community
diplomatic for his MTK-SU Exploit and simplified utility called JunioJsv
topjohnwu for MagiskSU
credits to thebeast for showing me that recovery is in boot.img with his twrp image so i flashed original boot.image and dumped the recovery but youre going to have to dump the boot.img if u want to use it and repack

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021

Found out why mtp don’t work it’s trying to look for a file: /sys/class/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun0/file

0DDA0

Jun 19, 2021
Hi. I'm trying to follow the guide to unlock my bootloader, but I'm getting ERROR : STATUS_SHUTDOWN_CMD_EXCEPTION (-1073414142) , MSP ERROE CODE : 0x00. and
ERROR : STATUS_EXT_RAM_EXCEPTION (-1073414139) , MSP ERROE CODE : 0x00. errors on both tries to do a readback.

I'm thinking I might need to turn off/disable/delete ADB & Fastboot, because initially, I wasn't seeing a moving progress bar when powering on connected with both Volume down & power off button being pressed. My phone would simply enter fastboot blank screen with fastboot at the bottom left corner, then I'd obviously get an error from SPFT that's trying to do a readback, when I shut off from fastboot.
I restarted my PC, and redid the whole process. This time around, I kept holding the volume down and power button after the fastboot screen came up, and my phone screen went blank fully and SPFT readback bar immediately moved to 100% in red and stayed there for a minute or two, before popping up the first error message.

The second time I tried, the same thing happened but with a different error message - the second one posted above. I've not tried a third time.

From what I could find online, the second error code is because of wrong compatible firmware file. I use the same nokia 2.2 as the guide, used the scatter file from the HCTSW firmware folder in the guide, download agent file is the same default set that comes with SPFT(the guide says to leave it as so. - Importing the preloader_wasp.bin in the firmware folder gives an error, even, so I leave as default).

I use linux, so I can't install the linked drivers in the linked guide for backing up before flashing to unlock bootloader. But, I did install libpng 12 - i.e; libusb-dev.

What could be the problem pls? I initially did the ADB and fastboot from a general guide to unlocking bootloaders, till I reached the MTK based hiccup. I want to root my nokia 2.2 with twrp and magisk. Unlocking bootloader is just the first step.

nswed

May 22, 2021
Would that work for Nokia 2.3 (TA-1206)? It has the same CPU, MT6761.
In case that fails, would testpoint method work to recover working firmware?

Thanks.

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Hi. I'm trying to follow the guide to unlock my bootloader, but I'm getting ERROR : STATUS_SHUTDOWN_CMD_EXCEPTION (-1073414142) , MSP ERROE CODE : 0x00. and
ERROR : STATUS_EXT_RAM_EXCEPTION (-1073414139) , MSP ERROE CODE : 0x00. errors on both tries to do a readback.

I'm thinking I might need to turn off/disable/delete ADB & Fastboot, because initially, I wasn't seeing a moving progress bar when powering on connected with both Volume down & power off button being pressed. My phone would simply enter fastboot blank screen with fastboot at the bottom left corner, then I'd obviously get an error from SPFT that's trying to do a readback, when I shut off from fastboot.
I restarted my PC, and redid the whole process. This time around, I kept holding the volume down and power button after the fastboot screen came up, and my phone screen went blank fully and SPFT readback bar immediately moved to 100% in red and stayed there for a minute or two, before popping up the first error message.

The second time I tried, the same thing happened but with a different error message - the second one posted above. I've not tried a third time.

From what I could find online, the second error code is because of wrong compatible firmware file. I use the same nokia 2.2 as the guide, used the scatter file from the HCTSW firmware folder in the guide, download agent file is the same default set that comes with SPFT(the guide says to leave it as so. - Importing the preloader_wasp.bin in the firmware folder gives an error, even, so I leave as default).

I use linux, so I can't install the linked drivers in the linked guide for backing up before flashing to unlock bootloader. But, I did install libpng 12 - i.e; libusb-dev.

What could be the problem pls? I initially did the ADB and fastboot from a general guide to unlocking bootloaders, till I reached the MTK based hiccup. I want to root my nokia 2.2 with twrp and magisk. Unlocking bootloader is just the first step.
try doing it on a windows machine maybe drivers are screwing up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I follow the procedure, can I eventually return back to a stock unrooted/locked OS that can receive OTA updates and passes safetynet?
    You can but there will be no way to write a serial num and this unlock procedure still preserves ota functionality
    Something's going wrong with me. Please tell me how did you flashed it? (The command I mean).
    fastboot flash boot TWRP.img
    To moderators: There's no Nokia 2.2 forum in XDA-Developers, please move this topic when available.
    To content farms: DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE GUIDE!

Now the last piece of puzzle of Nokia x.2 series bootloader unlock line has been completed, thanks to the help of a member called Woke_World.
    After I read his procedure, I decided to optimize the entire procedure and use my own firmware file to achieve it.

Step 1: Do full backup
    (For this case please use SP Flash Tool 5.1924 or newer that can be found on spflashtool.com )

The firmware for this procedure can be downloaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693749336
    SHA256: D056631A8A795A06795B3A4E5F334DBF9B55C3C71269831F8E7926FA3ABA5637

Please follow the procedure in this topic to do readback: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-global-nokia-5-1-plus-unbrick-guide.3858253/
    For this case, you need to keep Download Agent file as the same came with SP Flash Tool, and altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt

Code:
    nvcfg.img
    nvram.img
    proinfo.img
    protect1.img
    protect2.img

DO NOT SKIP STEP 1, OR YOUR PHONE WILL NOT HAVE IMEI AND SN!

Step 2: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with altunlock scatter file
    Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with this scatter file: "altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt"

Step 3: Bootloader unlock
    Press and hold volume down key and connect to PC - keep that condition for around 12 seconds then the phone will boot to Fastboot mode.
    Execute these 2 commands to perform bootloader unlock:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing lock_critical
    fastboot oem unlock

Look at your phone and press volume up to confirm unlock. Once done, disconnect the phone and remove the battery, wait 5 seconds and place the battery back.

Step 4: Do readback again
    Code:
    sec1.img
    seccfg.img

Step 5: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with original scatter file
    Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with the original scatter file named as "MT6761_Android_scatter.txt" - note there's no altunlock at the beginning of filename.

Step 6: Power on the phone and enable USB debugging, root the phone with MTK Easy SU
    [NOTE: DO NOT INSERT ANY SIM CARDS AND YOU MUST SKIP INTERNET CONNECTION]

You can download the MTK Easy SU apk from here : https://github.com/JunioJsv/mtk-easy-su/releases/latest
    And Magisk APK from here : https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases/latest

When you have both MTK Easy Su and Magisk APK installed, please enable the "Run as 64 Bits" option, and tap the hash (#) button to enable root.
    Once root complete, we can now re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI.

Step 7: Re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI
    Please copy the 7 img files to your phone's internal storage:
    Code:
    nvcfg.img
    nvram.img
    proinfo.img
    protect1.img
    protect2.img
    sec1.img
    seccfg.img
    We assume you copied them to root directory of internal storage (a.k.a. /storage/emulated/0/ )

Then execute these commands on your PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvcfg
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvram.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvram
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/proinfo.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/proinfo
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect1
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect2.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect2
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/sec1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sec1
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/seccfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/seccfg

When it's done, please perform factory reset to apply the NVRAM restoration.

Please watch this video for entire procedure demonstration:

That wraps up the entire procedure of bootloader unlock, and have fun for modding this device!

Credits:
    Woke_World from triple-color company product community
    diplomatic for his MTK-SU Exploit and simplified utility called JunioJsv
    topjohnwu for MagiskSU
    How to extract *.img files from ROM_0 backup?
    Please make a tutorial on how to unlock the bootloader of Nokia 2.1 with Android 10 update.