• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to unlock the bootloader for Nokia 2.2

Search This thread

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
if you dont like the wait 5 seconds message after bootloader unlock i made a modded lk image that has removed the orange state message

(android 9 build 1680)
since the message is gone and the bootloader is still unlocked heres a picture of an edited logo.bin i made
1625249748608.png

BobStrop

Jul 31, 2021
Now the last piece of puzzle of Nokia x.2 series bootloader unlock line has been completed, thanks to the help of a member called Woke_World.
After I read his procedure, I decided to optimize the entire procedure and use my own firmware file to achieve it.

Step 1: Do full backup
(For this case please use SP Flash Tool 5.1924 or newer that can be found on spflashtool.com )

The firmware for this procedure can be downloaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693749336
SHA256: D056631A8A795A06795B3A4E5F334DBF9B55C3C71269831F8E7926FA3ABA5637

Please follow the procedure in this topic to do readback: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-global-nokia-5-1-plus-unbrick-guide.3858253/
For this case, you need to keep Download Agent file as the same came with SP Flash Tool, and altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt

Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
Code:
nvcfg.img
nvram.img
proinfo.img
protect1.img
protect2.img

Step 2: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with altunlock scatter file
Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with this scatter file: "altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt"
Once flash complete, disconnect the phone.

Step 3: Bootloader unlock
Press and hold volume down key and connect to PC - keep that condition for around 12 seconds then the phone will boot to Fastboot mode.
Execute these 2 commands to perform bootloader unlock:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock_critical
fastboot oem unlock

Look at your phone and press volume up to confirm unlock. Once done, disconnect the phone and remove the battery, wait 5 seconds and place the battery back.

Step 4: Do readback again
Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
Code:
sec1.img
seccfg.img

Step 5: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with original scatter file
Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with the original scatter file named as "MT6761_Android_scatter.txt" - note there's no altunlock at the beginning of filename.

Step 6: Power on the phone and enable USB debugging, root the phone with MTK Easy SU
[NOTE: DO NOT INSERT ANY SIM CARDS AND YOU MUST SKIP INTERNET CONNECTION]

You can download the MTK Easy SU apk from here : https://github.com/JunioJsv/mtk-easy-su/releases/latest
And Magisk APK from here : https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases/latest

When you have both MTK Easy Su and Magisk APK installed, please enable the "Run as 64 Bits" option, and tap the hash (#) button to enable root.
Once root complete, we can now re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI.

Step 7: Re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI
Please copy the 7 img files to your phone's internal storage:
Code:
nvcfg.img
nvram.img
proinfo.img
protect1.img
protect2.img
sec1.img
seccfg.img
We assume you copied them to root directory of internal storage (a.k.a. /storage/emulated/0/ )

Then execute these commands on your PC:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvcfg
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvram.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvram
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/proinfo.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/proinfo
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect1
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect2.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect2
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/sec1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sec1
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/seccfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/seccfg

When it's done, please perform factory reset to apply the NVRAM restoration.

Please watch this video for entire procedure demonstration:

That wraps up the entire procedure of bootloader unlock, and have fun for modding this device!

Credits:
Woke_World from triple-color company product community
diplomatic for his MTK-SU Exploit and simplified utility called JunioJsv
topjohnwu for MagiskSU
Hi. Firstly, thankyou very much for putting the time and effort into this for someone like me who has limited knowledge and is trying to learn...

I am slightly confused on step 1 with the readback... in the youtube video at 0:57 you add the "dump.img" file. I am not sure where that is to come from?

Any help much appreciated!

AAditya846

May 16, 2016
Hi. Firstly, thankyou very much for putting the time and effort into this for someone like me who has limited knowledge and is trying to learn...

I am slightly confused on step 1 with the readback... in the youtube video at 0:57 you add the "dump.img" file. I am not sure where that is to come from?

Any help much appreciated!
You have to create that. By default the name is ROM_0 (or ROM_2, ROM_2,...) when you do the readback. He just renamed it to dump.img
I hope this is what you wanted to know.

TheBeast941

Apr 6, 2021

AAditya846

May 16, 2016
View attachment 5375299
Thankyou!

I have done that but now i get this error message?

Did i use the correct value here?
Try this if installing/updating Mediatek drivers didn't work: As soon as you get that error, hit space bar (OKAY) and immediately restart readback. You might have to do it a couple of times before readback starts.
I've encountered the same problem many times with several phones.

BobStrop

Jul 31, 2021
Ok, I have downloaded the Mediatek drivers and have changed the readback Length to 0xd4000000.

On Readback, it stays at 0% til about 4 minutes and then get the same error code...

Again, thankyou all

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
, I have downloaded the Mediatek drivers and have changed the readback Length to 0xd4000000.
On Readback, it stays at 0% til about 4 minutes and then get the same error code...

Again, thankyou all
I've had this problem with the newest driver use the ones on the spflashtool website it works with my Nokia 2.2
Before u install the spflashtool drivers make sure to delete the old ones in device manager so when you are deleting the driver make sure to check the box that says delete driver software and then install so flash tool drivers

BobStrop

Jul 31, 2021
Ok, i uninstalled the original Mediatek driver and installed the one from the SPFlash, although they both were version 1.1352. And tried with all these readback lengths and still get the same error...

Is it possible the readback length value i am using is incorrect? I have no idea what it means and have only tried the ones mentioned in the Youtube video, the readback link (In the first post) and 0xd4000000 (as suggested by areallydumbperson).

Does it matter where the ROM file is saved?

Am i missing something important from this point:
For this case, you need to keep Download Agent file as the same came with SP Flash Tool, and altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt
??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    do you mean this way ? after readback and extract boot.img from dump right now that device is unlocked ?
    Yeah
    If you are going to stick to Android 9 you don't have to readback again you can just get it from the firmware file in this guide.
    If you updated to Android 10 or 11 you would need to use SP Flash Tool to readback and extract the boot.img from that.
    Once you got the boot.img follow the guide you linked and you should be good to go.

If successful you can uninstall the MTK Easy Su app as you won't be needing it anymore.
    Thanks friend, you mean that i have to temp root first, and then do as you say?
    and sorry, another question, if i update to android 10 or 11, bootloader stays unlocked ?
    No, you don't need to temp root to patch the boot.img. In fact you can remove it right away since the patched boot.img will give you permanent root access.
    And yeah it stays unlocked. (but if you do update you can't use the same magisk image you have to readback to get the boot.img to patch)
    i do not copied those 7 files after flashing unlocked firmware again, and immediately updated to android 11 using the phone itself, now it shows my imei, even without restoring those 7 files.
    You won't need to do that step then. Just flash the boot.img via fastboot and you should be good to go.

Just a handy tip: Keep the files in case it turns out that you do need them in the future. If you like experimenting with the phone then it would be very handy to keep the files in case your IMEI gets wiped.
    To moderators: There's no Nokia 2.2 forum in XDA-Developers, please move this topic when available.
    To content farms: DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE GUIDE!

Now the last piece of puzzle of Nokia x.2 series bootloader unlock line has been completed, thanks to the help of a member called Woke_World.
    After I read his procedure, I decided to optimize the entire procedure and use my own firmware file to achieve it.

Step 1: Do full backup
    (For this case please use SP Flash Tool 5.1924 or newer that can be found on spflashtool.com )

The firmware for this procedure can be downloaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693749336
    SHA256: D056631A8A795A06795B3A4E5F334DBF9B55C3C71269831F8E7926FA3ABA5637

Please follow the procedure in this topic to do readback: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-global-nokia-5-1-plus-unbrick-guide.3858253/

Code:
    nvcfg.img
    nvram.img
    proinfo.img
    protect1.img
    protect2.img

DO NOT SKIP STEP 1, OR YOUR PHONE WILL NOT HAVE IMEI AND SN!

Step 2: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with altunlock scatter file
    Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with this scatter file: "altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt"

Step 3: Bootloader unlock
    Press and hold volume down key and connect to PC - keep that condition for around 12 seconds then the phone will boot to Fastboot mode.
    Execute these 2 commands to perform bootloader unlock:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing lock_critical
    fastboot oem unlock

Look at your phone and press volume up to confirm unlock. Once done, disconnect the phone and remove the battery, wait 5 seconds and place the battery back.

Step 4: Do readback again
    Code:
    sec1.img
    seccfg.img

Step 5: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with original scatter file
    Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with the original scatter file named as "MT6761_Android_scatter.txt" - note there's no altunlock at the beginning of filename.

Step 6: Power on the phone and enable USB debugging, root the phone with MTK Easy SU
    [NOTE: DO NOT INSERT ANY SIM CARDS AND YOU MUST SKIP INTERNET CONNECTION]

You can download the MTK Easy SU apk from here : https://github.com/JunioJsv/mtk-easy-su/releases/latest
    And Magisk APK from here : https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases/latest

When you have both MTK Easy Su and Magisk APK installed, please enable the "Run as 64 Bits" option, and tap the hash (#) button to enable root.
    Once root complete, we can now re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI.

Step 7: Re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI
    Please copy the 7 img files to your phone's internal storage:
    Code:
    nvcfg.img
    nvram.img
    proinfo.img
    protect1.img
    protect2.img
    sec1.img
    seccfg.img
    We assume you copied them to root directory of internal storage (a.k.a. /storage/emulated/0/ )

Then execute these commands on your PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvcfg
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvram.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvram
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/proinfo.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/proinfo
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect1
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect2.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect2
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/sec1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sec1
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/seccfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/seccfg

When it's done, please perform factory reset to apply the NVRAM restoration.

Please watch this video for entire procedure demonstration:

That wraps up the entire procedure of bootloader unlock, and have fun for modding this device!

Credits:
    Woke_World from triple-color company product community
    diplomatic for his MTK-SU Exploit and simplified utility called JunioJsv
    topjohnwu for MagiskSU
    How to extract *.img files from ROM_0 backup?
    Please make a tutorial on how to unlock the bootloader of Nokia 2.1 with Android 10 update.