How To Guide [GUIDE] How to unlock the bootloader for Nokia 2.2

Search This thread

kevriveroc

Jun 30, 2022
Moto G
Nokia 2.2
Has anybody tried flashing TWRP over stock Android 9 used on this guide? Whenever I do, the phone gets soft bricked and I have to re-download ROM using SP Flashtool.

Can I update to Android 11, flash TWRP and then downgrade back to Android 9?

I find it's the most stable and best-performing Android version for this phone. 10 and 11 have given me lots of camera, screen and software bugs, apart from the well-known performance drop (catastrophic in an already not-so-fast phone).
No

phrunz

Jul 23, 2022
Hi everyone, thanks to this great guide I was able to unlock the bootloader without issues.

However, when trying to flash an img via fastboot, I always end up with the same error type (console output below):

fastboot flash system system-squeak-arm64-ab-vndklite-floss-secure.img
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magic
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 708911124 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 574697492 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 440483860 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 306270228 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 172056596 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 37842964 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
erasing 'system_b'...
OKAY [ 0.151s]
sending sparse 'system_b' 1/7 (131068 KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 708911124 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
OKAY [ 3.421s]
writing 'system_b' 1/7...
FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
finished. total time: 5.385s

Any ideas, what is going wrong here? Thanks in advance for any hints!

PS: I am using a Linux desktop.

razabhatti

Jan 12, 2019
Hi 😊
Anyone can Tell Me why Now i can't boot Any gsi.

I Flash Crdroid 8.4 LINK provided in Form i flash via fastboot and Flash vbmeta .. android 9/11 but I boot Into gsi Its Gone to recovery menu To perform factory reset .. i reset and Again reboot Then Its Back boot to Recovery To perform factory reset
Cz its saying system files is currupted

I tried Phh gsi Latest version but Same Can't boot

My device also Updated to latest build

razabhatti

Jan 12, 2019
Screenshot_20220805-025259.png
hi all check this .. this treble info app saying i need to use this file file name gsi its isn't mention vndk version to flash

razabhatti

Jan 12, 2019
GSI Installation Steps

1. Install Android 11 firmware base. While 10 might work as well, I haven't tested it. Android 9 firmware did not work for me, but it's been a while since the last time I tested (might work with latest GSI's).

2. Flash an ARM64 A/B VNDKLITE GSI variant, with fastboot, TWRP or terminal (cat, dd, etc.).
fastboot flash system system-squeak-arm64-ab-vndklite-floss-secure.img

3. Factory reset with one of these three methods:
- Stock recovery (recommended);
- fastboot -w;
- TWRP's "format data" option.

Notes
- I assume everyone already knows how to unlock the bootloader, root, and flash vbmeta.
- Only secure VNDKLITE flavors are booting.
Bro This Vndklite varient not now work for mee

millenixGER

Jul 3, 2021
No success here either installing any ROMs other than stock.
Phone is in orange state and TWRP is installed. It is constantly rebooting and/or ending up back in TWRP.
Successfully did a readback of stock ROM with latest security fix from July after soft-bricking it but LineageOS is just not booting whenever I try to install it via TWRP or fastboot.
Is there a way to generate a scatter file with the phone running stock Android 11? Looks like it cannot detect the partition layout in Android 11 with the latest Mtk_Droid_Tool_v2.5.3B.

vbmeta: extracted from latest Android 11
adb: v33.0.2-8557947
Image: lineage-18.1-20220715-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS-vndklite.img

razabhatti

Jan 12, 2019
No success here either installing any ROMs other than stock.
Phone is in orange state and TWRP is installed. It is constantly rebooting and/or ending up back in TWRP.
Successfully did a readback of stock ROM with latest security fix from July after soft-bricking it but LineageOS is just not booting whenever I try to install it via TWRP or fastboot.
Is there a way to generate a scatter file with the phone running stock Android 11? Looks like it cannot detect the partition layout in Android 11 with the latest Mtk_Droid_Tool_v2.5.3B.

vbmeta: extracted from latest Android 11
adb: v33.0.2-8557947
Image: lineage-18.1-20220715-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS-vndklite.img
Bro In up i post screen shot Of treble info app There's its says dont use vndk veriant .

i install (system_arm64-ab.img ) not Vndklite veriant

And its Successful Boot In my nokia 2.2
Just Try (system_arm64-ab.img ) file not Vndklite veriant 🙂

kevriveroc

Jun 30, 2022
Moto G
Nokia 2.2
Would anybody here awfully mind to post a step-by-step guide to install a GSI ROM on this device? As in a guide for those of us who are not that experienced or savvy in terms of tinkering with our devices?

I've been wanting to try GSI ever since I unlocked the bootloader, but I'm hesitant to do so, since the info on this thread sort of got convoluted, and I can't find a simple and explicitly laid-out guide for flashing GSI (I get lost at the 'flash vbmeta' and 'disable verity' stuff and all that). I'm stuck with Android 9 because I find it's the most stable of the three official Android versions, but I'd really like to give anything newer a shot, as long as it's not from Nokia (those Android 10 and 11 bugged the cr%p out my phone).

Any help is highly appreciated.

BASIL HAWKINS

Oct 5, 2022
Nokia 2.2
Now the last piece of puzzle of Nokia x.2 series bootloader unlock line has been completed, thanks to the help of a member called Woke_World.
After I read his procedure, I decided to optimize the entire procedure and use my own firmware file to achieve it.

Step 1: Do full backup
(For this case please use SP Flash Tool 5.1924 or newer that can be found on spflashtool.com )

The firmware for this procedure can be downloaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693749336
SHA256: D056631A8A795A06795B3A4E5F334DBF9B55C3C71269831F8E7926FA3ABA5637

Please follow the procedure in this topic to do readback: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-how-t...-global-nokia-5-1-plus-unbrick-guide.3858253/
For this case, you need to keep Download Agent file as the same came with SP Flash Tool, and altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt

Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
Code:
nvcfg.img
nvram.img
proinfo.img
protect1.img
protect2.img

Step 2: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with altunlock scatter file
Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with this scatter file: "altunlock-MT6761_Android_scatter.txt"
Once flash complete, disconnect the phone.

Step 3: Bootloader unlock
Press and hold volume down key and connect to PC - keep that condition for around 12 seconds then the phone will boot to Fastboot mode.
Execute these 2 commands to perform bootloader unlock:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock_critical
fastboot oem unlock

Look at your phone and press volume up to confirm unlock. Once done, disconnect the phone and remove the battery, wait 5 seconds and place the battery back.

Step 4: Do readback again
Once readback done, please extract these images inside your backup for later use:
Code:
sec1.img
seccfg.img

Step 5: Format all + Download to flash the firmware with original scatter file
Switch to Download tab, and choose format all + download to flash the entire phone with the original scatter file named as "MT6761_Android_scatter.txt" - note there's no altunlock at the beginning of filename.
Once flash complete, disconnect the phone.

Step 6: Power on the phone and enable USB debugging, root the phone with MTK Easy SU
[NOTE: DO NOT INSERT ANY SIM CARDS AND YOU MUST SKIP INTERNET CONNECTION]

You can download the MTK Easy SU apk from here : https://github.com/JunioJsv/mtk-easy-su/releases/latest
And Magisk APK from here : https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk/releases/latest

When you have both MTK Easy Su and Magisk APK installed, please enable the "Run as 64 Bits" option, and tap the hash (#) button to enable root.
Once root complete, we can now re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI.

Step 7: Re-enable bootloader unlock and restore IMEI
Please copy the 7 img files to your phone's internal storage:
Code:
nvcfg.img
nvram.img
proinfo.img
protect1.img
protect2.img
sec1.img
seccfg.img
We assume you copied them to root directory of internal storage (a.k.a. /storage/emulated/0/ )

Then execute these commands on your PC:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvcfg
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/nvram.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvram
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/proinfo.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/proinfo
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect1
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/protect2.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/protect2
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/sec1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sec1
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/seccfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/seccfg

When it's done, please perform factory reset to apply the NVRAM restoration.

Please watch this video for entire procedure demonstration:

That wraps up the entire procedure of bootloader unlock, and have fun for modding this device!

Credits:
Woke_World from triple-color company product community
diplomatic for his MTK-SU Exploit and simplified utility called JunioJsv
topjohnwu for MagiskSU
At the last, step when I put the command that starts with 'dd if ' it says no such file in the directory. But I follow every step from the video and copy-paste those img files too. Any solution?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53 KB · Views: 30

kevriveroc

Jun 30, 2022
Moto G
Nokia 2.2
Fastboot > flash system > flash vbmeta from stock OS (Android 9) > fastboot -w > reboot
Right?
After several tries to get PHH's GSI working, I'm now stuck on a bootloop after using this procedure to flash Andy Yan's lineage-19.1-20220912-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS-vndklite.img.xz.

I can't access TWRP, nor can I get to put the phone in Download/Fastboot mode to try another ROM or simply go back to stock. SP Flash Tools is a no-go too after I flashed TWRP, the phone just booted and went into TWRP whenever I try Vol+/Vol- and connecting USB (and that was before flashing Andy Yan's Lineage with vbmeta from stock Android 9 as mentioned above, now it just goes straight into bootlooping).

The phone just keeps bootlooping endlessly until I remove the battery, no matter what buttons I push, or what cables I connect.

Have I officially lost my phone? Anyone that can help?

Badzsa

Mar 25, 2021
After several tries to get PHH's GSI working, I'm now stuck on a bootloop after using this procedure to flash Andy Yan's lineage-19.1-20220912-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS-vndklite.img.xz.

I can't access TWRP, nor can I get to put the phone in Download/Fastboot mode to try another ROM or simply go back to stock. SP Flash Tools is a no-go too after I flashed TWRP, the phone just booted and went into TWRP whenever I try Vol+/Vol- and connecting USB (and that was before flashing Andy Yan's Lineage with vbmeta from stock Android 9 as mentioned above, now it just goes straight into bootlooping).

The phone just keeps bootlooping endlessly until I remove the battery, no matter what buttons I push, or what cables I connect.

Have I officially lost my phone? Anyone that can help?
bricked ... only clean flash can help with sp flash tool ...
if you have backup from your firmware :)

kevriveroc

Jun 30, 2022
Moto G
Nokia 2.2
bricked ... only clean flash can help with sp flash tool ...
if you have backup from your firmware :)
Somehow (don't ask how, because I don't know myself) got the SP Flash Tool to flash stock Android 9 shortly after I posted and now I'm back to full operation. No TWRP anymore though.

Definitely not worth it to try and flash other ROMs when there's no clear path to having a fully functioning system (what works for some doesn't for others). Better off sticking with stock and not tinker too much with it.

I guess that's the end of reliving "the glory days" of flashing endless ROMs on my old LG Optimus G and Motorola Moto G (1st. gen). 😂

(Thank you for your reply, nonetheless. Highly appreciated)

Top Liked Posts