[GUIDE] How to unlock the bootloader for Nokia 8.3 5G

Search This thread

dev_tz

Mar 18, 2022
Nokia 8.3 5G
For Nokia 8 V 5G UW users:
I suspect devices with 00VPO_1_260-B01 or older should be vulnerable, but I think many users should have the phone updated to 00VPO_1_280-B01 already.

Need further investigation whenever I got firmware.
any news regarding this? im trying so hard to find a way but did not find..can u help me a bit plz to unlock bootloader? i use nokia 8v 5g uw

catzilla

May 24, 2010
NYC
Would like to confirm, upgraded from android 11 to 12 with a small hiccup:

Steps:
1) Download android 12 update, link on previous page
2) Use payload_dumper to extract boot img
3) Copy the extracted new boot img to phone and patch it using magisk. Copy the newly patched boot image to pc
4) In magisk, elect to uninstall magisk (restores original boot so update can be applied)
4) adb reboot recovery
5) choose adb sideload, and then from pc adb sideload <update>.zip
6) After it's done installing, choose reboot to fastboot
7) fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_V6RRL.img
8) fastboot reboot
9) ***System booted but - in my case, I had no root at this point, I think boot got flashed to wrong slot
10) adb reboot fastboot
11) fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_V6RRL.img (this time it flashed to partition B)
12) fastboot reboot
13) Done, android 12, rooted and fully functional

Edit: patched boot to let people skip steps 2 and 3: https://mega.nz/file/bAsQSSzB#XPcVrioHH-F7cD2DfXZvCM7Che6pLktNfosIcCpOeOo

Last edited:

nojokeman

Nov 14, 2021
Mine has gone back to non-rooted, locked in fastboot screen. Was rooted and fully functional for a few months, then lost it somehow. Anyway, I would be happy now to just coax it into factory recovery so that I could do a reset on it. The button sequence escapes me.
Anyone remember how to get it into factory reset mode from the fastboot screen?

catzilla

May 24, 2010
NYC
Mine has gone back to non-rooted, locked in fastboot screen. Was rooted and fully functional for a few months, then lost it somehow. Anyway, I would be happy now to just coax it into factory recovery so that I could do a reset on it. The button sequence escapes me.
Sounds like you screwed up boot. Since you are in fastboot, why not flash your rooted boot.img from last time you did this? fastboot flash boot boot.img

CoinsClassic

Nov 17, 2017
Would like to confirm, upgraded from android 11 to 12 with a small hiccup:

Steps:
1) Download android 12 update, link on previous page
2) Use payload_dumper to extract boot img
3) Copy the extracted new boot img to phone and patch it using magisk. Copy the newly patched boot image to pc
4) In magisk, elect to uninstall magisk (restores original boot so update can be applied)
4) adb reboot recovery
5) choose adb sideload, and then from pc adb sideload <update>.zip
6) After it's done installing, choose reboot to fastboot
7) fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_V6RRL.img
8) fastboot reboot
9) ***System booted but - in my case, I had no root at this point, I think boot got flashed to wrong slot
10) adb reboot fastboot
11) fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_V6RRL.img (this time it flashed to partition B)
12) fastboot reboot
13) Done, android 12, rooted and fully functional

Edit: patched boot to let people skip steps 2 and 3: https://mega.nz/file/bAsQSSzB#XPcVrioHH-F7cD2DfXZvCM7Che6pLktNfosIcCpOeOo
Had the same issue weirdly, where after flashing, it booted into a stock and factory resetted state (perhaps wrong slot) and couldn't load any app. Then after flashing again, it worked :D

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
I got the 12 update and it messed my phone up, so i sent it in for service and the jerks sent me back a new phone with 12 already on it instead of downgrading it to 11. I cant seem to get it to do anything. I side loaded both versions in post #3, but 12 just booted.

Edit, its actually my phone, not sure what they did with it, or if it fixed the issue, cause i want to do everything i can get 12 off of here. So, if you need anything from it, let me know.

Last edited:

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
Ok, i tried installing from the SD card a second time and this time it took. Im back to 10, but now the update wants to go straight to 12. How can i update to 11 only?

careloads

Jun 9, 2017
Nokia 8.3 5G
If I am correct, being on 10 you should be able to follow the instructions in first post to unlock the bootloader and go from there.

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
If I am correct, being on 10 you should be able to follow the instructions in first post to unlock the bootloader and go from there.
No kidding, im past that point. I got down to 10, but now the auto update wants to go to 12, bypassing 11. I tried sideloading the 2210 from another post, but got an error and something about KitKat.

Last edited:

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
It also cant see/mount the SD card in Recovery and therefore i cant sideload it from SD card.

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
Disable download manager, wifi, go into airplane mode to stop the OTA before it posts? Just tryin to help bro.
I have it turned off in Dev Options, will turning off DM really stop OTA from pulling down stuff? This seems a lot more simpler than using Package Disabler. Theres also Dynamic System Updates that cant be disabled.

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
I did a hard reset to see if there was something residual sticking and the update was already on the phone, so either a hard reset isnt clearing it, or Nokia put the files on the phone somewhere.

nojokeman

Nov 14, 2021
Thank you for your post #86. Flashed that image and am back up and running. I love this forum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TO CONTENT FARMS ESPECIALLY GETDROIDTIPS: DO NOT REPOST THIS TOPIC ON YOUR WEBSITE!
    点击这里查看中文版(Click here for Chinese Version Guide)

Existing Android 10 builds has a critical problem, that allowed us to flash or erase any bootloader partition even if the bootloader is not unlocked. However, Android 11 builds blocked this method.

Therefore, I think it's time to disclose the unlock method now. It's known working on both TA-1243 and TA-1251.

The critical part for unlocking the bootloader is - the prototype bootloader of this phone. By opportunity, I got the early bootloader from a prototype unit that allows us to unlock the bootloader, thanks to the help of a Canadian people who claimed to have a Nokia 8.3 prototype himself.

Click this for Android 11 or Android 12 users

Your warranty will be void as bootloader unlock is not reverseable - you cannot relock it. Due to different hardcoded ABL signature on Nokia 8 V 5G UW, you cannot flash prototype ABL on Nokia 8 V 5G UW or the phone will hard brick. You've been warned.

To use this method, you need to ensure your phone has Android 10 installed - the latest build that we can use this method is 00WW_1_150-B01, you can confirm this by dialing *#*#7837#*#*.

If your phone has Android 11 installed (00WW_2_180-B01 or newer), then this bootloader unlock method has been blocked, but there's known workaround for this. Check 2nd reply for details.

UPDATE: Russian version Nokia 8.3 5G cannot be downgraded yet. If you're using Russian version Nokia 8.3 5G (Software version has RU tag), use EDL method for bootloader unlock.

Please download the prototype bootloader from here:
    Click here

Then flash it under fastboot mode, and unlock the bootloader - pretty simple:
    Code:
    fastboot flash abl abl_proto.elf
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock-go

Confirm unlock on your phone and it's all done. You can safely update the phone to Android 11 right after unlocked. Since we cannot perform critical unlock properly, we can only do regular unlock, but this should be enough.

Video demonstration:

Have fun for modding this device!
    Hi all, Android 12 was released for this phone, and looks like the downgrade + bootloader unlock method can be still used.

For archiving purposes:
    00WW_1_150-B01 full OTA zip: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/627142c637bf373410e6b8911aeb9b2e65bd5969.zip
    00WW_2_180-B01 full OTA zip: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/12a35835cf4034f539ae7d03ffecd0682bef1b66.zip

You can use them for OS rooting.

Also after @jnappert 's testing, the workaround works great.
    1. Sideload 00WW_1_150-B01 OTA package under recovery. You may see downgrade not allowed prompt but it will install anyway.
    2. Reboot to bootloader under recovery mode. Although Anti-Rollback protection is triggered, the abl is not protected and is now downgraded to vulnerable build.
    3. You can now follow the guide to unlock the bootloader.

I hope this will help everybody to bring up custom rom development for this phone.
    @singhnsk Thanks so much!! I am now on the latest version with working root :D

As a thank you to everyone on this thread, behold: magisk v23 patched 2_270 boot.img
    can you please type here the steps you've made to downgrade your phone?
    I downgraded from 00WW_2_180 to 00WW_1_150-B01:
    - installed adb and drivers
    - enabled USB Debug
    - bootet to stock recovery: "adb reboot recovery"
    - in recovery "apply update from adb"
    - adb sideload 00WW_1_150-B01 from post #3
    - rebootet to fastboot and continued with steps from post #1 to unlock bootloader
    - after reboot device updated directly to 00WW-2_200

Now i am looking for working custom recovery...