[GUIDE] How to unlock the bootloader for Nokia 8.3 5G

Search This thread

Ziggemby

Sep 4, 2016
Hi all - those who received a strange update on Nokia 8.3 recently can fix it by unlocking the bootloader.
Recovery mode can be still entered, so you can simply follow this guide to unlock it.

- sideload android 10 full OTA
- reboot to bootloader immediately
- unlock the bootloader
Hi, thanks from all of us who have this boot menu issue after May security update. Could we get bit more detailed instructions (step by step) how to perform above steps? Thanks. That recovery mode gives us fallen Android robot with comment "no command"

Ikariqq

Jun 1, 2023
Sorry, i do not understand what I must use for unlock the bootloader ? I made the first step. Tks!

nononokia

Jun 1, 2023
Thanks so much for the effort.

When sideloading https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/627142c637bf373410e6b8911aeb9b2e65bd5969.zip I received the error that the update package is older than the current build. (timestamp 1684303071 and package has timestamp 1609599147) adb stops installing at 94% with a "failed to read cmooand: No error" as others have described in this forum before, which might confuse some.

With "fastboot oem getversions" I do see the 00WW_1_150 software version though, so I guess it worked.

After this just follow the guide:
download BGT-abl.elf

then in cmd do th commands:
fastboot flash abl BGT-abl.elf
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem unlock-go

Done

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggemby

Ikariqq

Jun 1, 2023
then in cmd do th commands:
fastboot oem unlock-go

No effect in CMD , maybe i have problem with USB conection

astalush

Jul 24, 2011
Hello. So a friend of mine had his nokia 8.3 5G bricked by the latest update (SP05 I think). He was on android 12.

After researching here and on other sites I found out how to unlock the bootloader and reinstall android 12 OTA and now it works. I'm currently installing the SP until SP04 (f**k you SP05).

So maybe my post could help someone else who's in the same boat as my friend.

So before starting all of it you need to install ADB and FASTBOOT drivers. You also need to modify the adb.exe file so it can send big size files : https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ or https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/q-adb-cant-read-sideload.1990405/post-69648733 . If not, you cannot send the zip file to the phone.
Be sure you have the latest fastboot and adb drivers.
You also need to download the android 10 - 00WW_1_150-B01 full OTA zip: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/627142c637bf373410e6b8911aeb9b2e65bd5969.zip

After all of this the commands are :

- cmd.exe in admin mode
- put the zip file in the same folder as the adb.exe
- navigate into your adb folder (where adb.exe and android 10 zip file is)
- put your phone into recovery mode
- go to the menu on your phone and do load update via adb
- adb kill-server
- adb root
- adb sideload 627142c637bf373410e6b8911aeb9b2e65bd5969.zip
- wait until it send the zip file to the phone
- even if it tells you it (something like "Update package is older than the current build, expected a build newer than timestamp 1655370772 but package has timestamp 1650077212 and downgrade not allowed" look into the screen and you will have installed 2 of 2)
- very important use menu on the phone and "reboot into bootloader", NOT RESTART PHONE
- download BGT-abl.elf from here https://api.hikaricalyx.com/Firmware/GetProtoABL?project=BGT (or main post)
- fastboot flash abl BGT-abl.elf
- fastboot reboot-bootloader
- fastboot oem unlock-go
- use volume keys to select UNLOCK BOOTLOADER and press the power button to unlock it
- reboot into android 10, connect to wifi, do android update to 12, it works. I've also done the 4 google security patches, not a problem.

Reactions: Ikariqq

hikari_calyx

Hi all, the prototype ABL for Nokia 8V 5G UW is now released.
Unlike Nokia 8.3:
- Using it requires you to flash FRP partition with OEM unlock flag enabled, or you have OEM unlock option enabled beforehand.
- the command to unlock the bootloader is "fastboot flashing unlock" and "fastboot flashing unlock_critical".

You may need to ask someone who has access of HDK for help.

Sitael

Jun 4, 2023
Update. My device is not loading the package. Keeps giving me the “Total xfer: 0.00x” response.
On the phone, it says
E: footer is wrong
Update package verification took 0.2s(result 1)
E: Signature verification failed
E: error: 21
Install from ADB completed with status 2
Installation aborted

And nothing works yet. Please, this is my work phone. I need to get it working ASAP. What can I do, please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Confus3

hikari_calyx

Update. My device is not loading the package. Keeps giving me the “Total xfer: 0.00x” response.
On the phone, it says
E: footer is wrong
Update package verification took 0.2s(result 1)
E: Signature verification failed
E: error: 21
Install from ADB completed with status 2
Installation aborted

And nothing works yet. Please, this is my work phone. I need to get it working ASAP. What can I do, please?

Confus3

Jul 5, 2023
So I've acknowledged how to relock the bootloader, but totally not worth doing.
1. Reinstall prototype ABL.
2. Grant service permission with HDK (could be paid service depends on provider).
3. Execute relock command.
4. Reinstall stock firmware.
Is there any specific reason the fastboot command doesn’t work? Everything worked fine till I had to fastboot, and it didn’t recognize the device at all. Fastboot devices doesn’t work.

hikari_calyx

Is there any specific reason the fastboot command doesn’t work? Everything worked fine till I had to fastboot, and it didn’t recognize the device at all. Fastboot devices doesn’t work.
1. Are you sure you're using latest fastboot binary?
2. If you're using Windows, can you check if your phone is listed in device manager and has driver installed properly?

Confus3

Jul 5, 2023
1. Are you sure you're using latest fastboot binary?
2. If you're using Windows, can you check if your phone is listed in device manager and has driver installed properly?
Latest fastboot binary is the adb folder thing, right? I got that updated. But, my phone shows up as “Android” with the driver not updated. Working on that.

hikari_calyx

Latest fastboot binary is the adb folder thing, right? I got that updated. But, my phone shows up as “Android” with the driver not updated. Working on that.
If you're using Windows 10/11, search system update in Windows Update and you can install the driver from Optional updates.
If you're using Windows 8 or older, you'll need to find driver yourself.

Reactions: Confus3

Confus3

Jul 5, 2023
If you're using Windows 10/11, search system update in Windows Update and you can install the driver from Optional updates.
If you're using Windows 8 or older, you'll need to find driver yourself.
Thank you for being so patient with me. I updated everything, but when it’s time to fastboot the elf file, it says “Download is not allowed on locked devices”. Is there a way around that? I don’t have my OEM unlocked. TBH, I just mess around with my developer settings when I activate it, is all.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TO CONTENT FARMS ESPECIALLY GETDROIDTIPS: DO NOT REPOST THIS TOPIC ON YOUR WEBSITE!
    点击这里查看中文版(Click here for Chinese Version Guide)

If you're looking for how to unbrick the phone that received May 2023 Security Update, you've come to the right place.
    You have two options to unbrick your Nokia 8.3

If you prefer not to unlock the bootloader, visit here:

Or if you don't mind unlocking the bootloader, do these steps before you proceed to bootloader unlock:

1. Use volume key to select "Recovery mode", power key to enter.
    2. When you see android robot lying on the ground, hold power key and press volume up key once. Then you'll get recovery screen.
    3. Download this package: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/627142c637bf373410e6b8911aeb9b2e65bd5969.zip
    4. Select Apply Update from ADB, then sideload it with adb command.
    5. Once the sideload procedure finishes, select "reboot to bootloader", then follow this guide to unlock the bootloader.

Existing Android 10 builds has a critical problem, that allowed us to flash or erase any bootloader partition even if the bootloader is not unlocked. However, Android 11 builds blocked this method, but there's a known workaround for this.

Therefore, I think it's time to disclose the unlock method now. It's known working on both TA-1243 and TA-1251.

The critical part for unlocking the bootloader is - the prototype bootloader of this phone. By opportunity, I got the early bootloader from a prototype unit that allows us to unlock the bootloader, thanks to the help of a Canadian people who claimed to have a Nokia 8.3 prototype himself.

Click this for Android 11 or Android 12 users

Your warranty will be void as bootloader unlock is not reverseable - you cannot relock it. Prototype ABL for normal Nokia 8.3 and 8V 5G UW are not interchangeable, flashing wrong ABL image will cause your phone hard brick.

To use this method, you need to ensure your phone has Android 10 installed - the latest build that we can use this method is 00WW_1_150-B01, you can confirm this by dialing *#*#7837#*#*.

If your phone has Android 11 installed (00WW_2_180-B01 or newer), then this bootloader unlock method has been blocked, but there's known workaround for this. Check 2nd reply for details.

UPDATE: Russian version Nokia 8.3 5G cannot be downgraded yet. If you're using Russian version Nokia 8.3 5G (Software version has RU tag), use EDL method for bootloader unlock.

Please download the prototype bootloader from here:
    Click here for Nokia 8.3 5G (BGT TA-1243/1251)
    Click here for Nokia 8V 5G UW (RAV TA-1257)
    If you see Error code 00000101 during download - please use industrial standard web browser to download it, like Google Chrome.

SHA256
    Code:
    Nokia 8.3 5G: e253b67fa028b1ea9ca714bee6d95902e2b340ae201e0c88adc12781279b8fd5
    Nokia 8V 5G UW: 70391abce694c95d7bb9d2c3fa1bcbfd66f26f42a766bc8d8c4d222caf8a62d4

Root Key Hashes
    Code:
    Nokia 8.3 5G: E3B22179CCBFB91730E233C4162E2D9DD33D02C97289EC1E9F787AC52CBDE3E0
    Nokia 8V 5G UW: C3CEDC3A4612C85DD70EEDFA8ABA75621D579CEA62BB9A8D805DD4E9C542A6F0

(For Nokia 8.3 5G only), flash it under fastboot mode, and unlock the bootloader - pretty simple:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go

Confirm unlock on your phone and it's all done. You can safely update the phone to Android 11 right after unlocked. Since we cannot perform critical unlock properly, we can only do regular unlock, but this should be enough.

Video demonstration:

For Nokia 8V 5G UW only:

1. Ask someone who has access of HDK to grant service permission for you.
    2. Execute these commands (please download frp_oemunlock.img from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...rom-nokia-xr20-for-bootloader-unlock.4455845/ ):
    Code:
    fastboot flash abl_a RAV-abl.elf
    fastboot flash abl_b RAV-abl.elf
    fastboot flash frp frp_oemunlock.img
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical
    (confirm unlock)
    fastboot flashing unlock
    (confirm unlock)

Have fun for modding this device!
    For archiving purposes:
    00WW_1_150-B01 full OTA zip: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/627142c637bf373410e6b8911aeb9b2e65bd5969.zip
    00WW_2_180-B01 full OTA zip: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package/12a35835cf4034f539ae7d03ffecd0682bef1b66.zip

You can use them for OS rooting.

Also after @jnappert 's testing, the workaround works great.
    1. Sideload 00WW_1_150-B01 OTA package under recovery. You may see downgrade not allowed prompt but it will install anyway.
    2. Reboot to bootloader under recovery mode. Although Anti-Rollback protection is triggered, the abl is not protected and is now downgraded to vulnerable build.
    3. You can now follow the guide to unlock the bootloader.

I hope this will help everybody to bring up custom rom development for this phone.
    Hi all, Android 12 was released for this phone, and looks like the downgrade + bootloader unlock method can be still used.

@singhnsk Thanks so much!! I am now on the latest version with working root :D

As a thank you to everyone on this thread, behold: magisk v23 patched 2_270 boot.img
    can you please type here the steps you've made to downgrade your phone?
    I downgraded from 00WW_2_180 to 00WW_1_150-B01:
    - installed adb and drivers
    - enabled USB Debug
    - bootet to stock recovery: "adb reboot recovery"
    - in recovery "apply update from adb"
    - adb sideload 00WW_1_150-B01 from post #3
    - rebootet to fastboot and continued with steps from post #1 to unlock bootloader
    - after reboot device updated directly to 00WW-2_200

Now i am looking for working custom recovery...