[GUIDE] How to unlock your bootloader - Moto X Style/Pure Edition (Confirmed)

Search This thread

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
If you are new to Motorola this will be good news, you will be able to unlock your bootloader day one if you have the pure edition (maybe even the style will be available but this would depend on your carrier). The process is almost identical to the HTC unlock bootloader method.

Few things to note:
-This will probably void your warranty. User @nikeman513 has reported his warranty says void on the Motorola website after unlocking his bootloader. But Motorola says it was a mistake and it will not void your bootloader. Confusing but it looks like we can unlock without losing warranty. Still unlock at your risk
-This has been tested by @Aftashok and others and confirmed to work on the Pure Edition (Style has not been tested).
-Lastly I am not responsible for any issues you may find during the process, this is informational only and do it at your own risk.

NOTE: Keep in mind this will factory wipe your phone and you will have to set it up again.

Before you start go into settings ->about phone -> software info and rapid click the build number until you enable developer options. After that go into developer options and enable "oem unlock". Now you are ready to continue.

1. Install Motorola Driver
2. Download ADB (or google it if you want the pure tool and not a toolkit)
3. Power off your device (keep it unplugged from the PC at this point)
4. Power device back on while holding volume down and the power button for 5 seconds
5. Once you see the bootloader screen plug in your device to the PC
6. Navigate to the location where your ADB is installed in file explorer and hold the shift key and right click. Select "Open command window here"
7. Type "fastboot oem get_unlock_data" in command prompt
8. Copy the code that is shown and paste it in notepad (I always right click on the top of the window and click Edit->Mark then highlight the code and right click on the top again and do Edit->copy)
9. Go to Motorla's page and login/create an account.
10. Paste code and click "Can my device be unlocked"
11. Agree to terms and click "Request Unlock Key" this will send you an email
12. Once you get the email with your unlock code paste the following in command prompt "fastboot oem unlock YOURKEY" (no "'s and replace YOURKEY with the key they emailed you)
13. Now you have an unlocked bootloader and are ready to flash a custom recovery when it is ready.

(this is simply informative, this process is tried and true and the method Motorola set up for an unlock, I take no credit for any of this)

Last edited:

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
Motorola's twitter support said they don't have info on whether or not moto x pure will be unlockable

Edit: p3droid stated it will be unlockable

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

jbela1911

Nov 12, 2011
If you purchased Motorola's accidental coverage plan I'm assuming this would be a bad idea then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
Motorola's twitter support said they don't have info on whether or not moto x pure will be unlockable

Edit: p3droid stated it will be unlockable

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

It has to be, the play and the G are unlockable there is no logical reason why this pure edition wont be.

Aridon

May 14, 2007
That really depends. Sometimes you can do this and have no issues relocking. Assuming there isn't a counter and you can at least get the phone to power up. If they have some kind of counter then yes, its probably a bad idea.

Frankly I don't care for such insurance plans. Unless you're super accident prone. I've cracked exactly one screen in all the devices I've had and it was still usable. Hell its still a backup phone if my current one goes tits up. Then again I'm also not afraid to get in there and replace a screen on my own making $75 up front much less attractive. Would take two breaks to pay for itself. Buddy of mine dropped his S6 the day he got it while sitting on the crapper at best buy. Screen went buh bye. YMMV :p

Reactions: jmtjr278

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
The Moto G I got for my daughter was not unlockable when I followed the bootloader unlock process.

Did you order it from motorola directly? Was it unlocked? You may want to head over to the moto g forums for assistance. I will remove that note from the OP if it does not work but the Moto X Play works for sure. This pure edition should work and we will confirm it in a couple of days as the devices arrive.

URPREY

Oct 7, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.BillStebbins.com
Did you order it from motorola directly? Was it unlocked? You may want to head over to the moto g forums for assistance. I will remove that note from the OP if it does not work but the Moto X Play works for sure. This pure edition should work and we will confirm it in a couple of days as the devices arrive.
Yes, unlocked direct from Moto Maker. I can check over in the forums but when I pasted the output into Moto's site it said that bootloader unlocking was not supported on the device.

I'll try again later.

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
So I wonder if it'll be the same as unlocked a Nexus? Just enable OEM Unlock in Developer Settings and fastboot oem unlock.

Either way mine will be unlocked the day it arrives!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yeah same with HTC they say they "may" void your warranty but you still have a chance for them to service your device if needed. I'm not worried. Flash power is worth it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are new to Motorola this will be good news, you will be able to unlock your bootloader day one if you have the pure edition (maybe even the style will be available but this would depend on your carrier). The process is almost identical to the HTC unlock bootloader method.

Few things to note:
    -This will probably void your warranty. User @nikeman513 has reported his warranty says void on the Motorola website after unlocking his bootloader. But Motorola says it was a mistake and it will not void your bootloader. Confusing but it looks like we can unlock without losing warranty. Still unlock at your risk
    -This has been tested by @Aftashok and others and confirmed to work on the Pure Edition (Style has not been tested).
    -Lastly I am not responsible for any issues you may find during the process, this is informational only and do it at your own risk.

NOTE: Keep in mind this will factory wipe your phone and you will have to set it up again.

Before you start go into settings ->about phone -> software info and rapid click the build number until you enable developer options. After that go into developer options and enable "oem unlock". Now you are ready to continue.

1. Install Motorola Driver
    2. Download ADB (or google it if you want the pure tool and not a toolkit)
    3. Power off your device (keep it unplugged from the PC at this point)
    4. Power device back on while holding volume down and the power button for 5 seconds
    5. Once you see the bootloader screen plug in your device to the PC
    6. Navigate to the location where your ADB is installed in file explorer and hold the shift key and right click. Select "Open command window here"
    7. Type "fastboot oem get_unlock_data" in command prompt
    8. Copy the code that is shown and paste it in notepad (I always right click on the top of the window and click Edit->Mark then highlight the code and right click on the top again and do Edit->copy)
    9. Go to Motorla's page and login/create an account.
    10. Paste code and click "Can my device be unlocked"
    11. Agree to terms and click "Request Unlock Key" this will send you an email
    12. Once you get the email with your unlock code paste the following in command prompt "fastboot oem unlock YOURKEY" (no "'s and replace YOURKEY with the key they emailed you)
    13. Now you have an unlocked bootloader and are ready to flash a custom recovery when it is ready.

(this is simply informative, this process is tried and true and the method Motorola set up for an unlock, I take no credit for any of this)
    If you purchased Motorola's accidental coverage plan I'm assuming this would be a bad idea then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That really depends. Sometimes you can do this and have no issues relocking. Assuming there isn't a counter and you can at least get the phone to power up. If they have some kind of counter then yes, its probably a bad idea.

Frankly I don't care for such insurance plans. Unless you're super accident prone. I've cracked exactly one screen in all the devices I've had and it was still usable. Hell its still a backup phone if my current one goes tits up. Then again I'm also not afraid to get in there and replace a screen on my own making $75 up front much less attractive. Would take two breaks to pay for itself. Buddy of mine dropped his S6 the day he got it while sitting on the crapper at best buy. Screen went buh bye. YMMV :p

just an fyi, Clocks over at AC Forums asked moto support and they mentioned bootloader unlocking will not void warranty. fwiw..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x-pure-edition/576320-motorola-moto-x-pure-edition-faq.html

Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify any unsureness that might have still been out there, so I got online with a Moto rep. The rep confirmed that the bootloader is unlockable and your warranties are safe.

chat.png

Cheers :)
    can now confirm that bootloader unlock method works. have to enable Developer Options, then Enable OEM Unlock, then use the method found in the thread, and it works like a charm.
    And Verizon won't make it not unlockable?

Don't see how they can do that, since they won't be selling it.
    Pin this thread

This seems like just the kind of post that should be Pinned......
    please
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone