• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[GUIDE] How to Unroot the EVO in 2 STEPS

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
A lot of you have been asking for how to unroot the EVO, either because you're having problems and want to start over or you are returning your phone and need to have it unrooted. I've had nothing but trouble in the past trying to unroot using other methods, especially using the RUU on a PC. It always fails for me. Well here is the most simple guide to unroot!! Thanks to regaw for helping me with this, hosting, and the Unrevoked team for the S-ON tool!

HOW TO UNROOT THE EVO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH

How to Unroot the HTC EVO 4G

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS●►

If you're comfortable with everything Android related(flashing, recovery, etc.) then its just 2 simple steps:

1. If you used Unrevoked Forever at any time, flash unrevoked-forever-son.zip from recovery until hboot shows S-ON
  2. Flash the PC36IMG.zip from hboot

◄●DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS●►

If you need a little more guidance, follow these instructions.

◄●If you have used Unrevoked forever, start here●►

1. Make sure you have downloaded the files linked above. Do not extract them
  2. Connect your phone to your computer via USB and change to "Disk Drive" by dragging down from the notification bar.
  3. If you have NOT used Unrevoked Forever, skip to the instructions below. If you have, transfer unrevoked-forever-son.zip to the root of your sdcard. Do NOT transfer the PC36IMG yet. It'll only cause a hassle and make this take longer.
  4. Once complete, power off the phone
  5. reboot into the recovery by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen. Then select RECOVERY.
  6. Depending on what recovery you're using, you need to flash a zip. Select the unrevoked-foreverson.zip that you just transferred and complete the flash.
  7. When complete, power off the phone. Reboot into the bootloader by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen. If it says S-ON at the top, select RECOVERY and skip to step 9. If it says S-OFF, repeat steps 5-7 Until it does.

◄●If you have NEVER used Unrevoked forever, start here●►
  8. Power off the phone and reboot into the recovery by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen. Then select RECOVERY.
  9. Connect via USB. There is an option for this in both Amon RA and Clockwork.
  10. Transfer the PC36IMG.zip to the root of your sdcard.
  11. EJECT THE PHONE FROM THE COMPUTER and then turn off USB in Recovery
  12. Power off the phone and reboot into the bootloader by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen.
  13. It should check the PC36IMG.zip and then ask you YES/NO to apply the update. Press VOL UP for YES
  14. Once complete, Press VOL UP to reboot.
  15. You are now unrooted!

Last edited:

v_lestat

Jul 11, 2010
yeah it should say if you have NEVER used unrevoked
what about Amon Ra 1.8 it says S-OFF at the top of the screen? is that just for bootloader?

Last edited:

Hollawood12

Aug 26, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hey, so i did all the steps and since i ran Unrevokedforever i used the unrevokedson.zip and the s-on came on, but im a little unsure if the unrevokedforever properly took in the first place. Aside from that once i did all the steps and the pc.img was recognized, after it was complete it never asked if i wanted to apply the update it just went back to the hboot screen and nothing after that..... please help

DS36

Apr 4, 2010
Florida
Hey, so i did all the steps and since i ran Unrevokedforever i used the unrevokedson.zip and the s-on came on, but im a little unsure if the unrevokedforever properly took in the first place. Aside from that once i did all the steps and the pc.img was recognized, after it was complete it never asked if i wanted to apply the update it just went back to the hboot screen and nothing after that..... please help
try hitting hboot again and see

Reactions: ferncc21

cadbomb

Jun 22, 2010
Not quite. The previous post was correct. Its just the bootloader. Toasts root has an eng spl and will show s off. This is just the bootloader and will be flashed over. Unrevoked sets s off lower and is not flashed over.
So, I used Toast's method for rooting and have the eng hboot... I'm looking to get back to complete stock so I can play with Unrevoked 3.2... Just to verify before I proceed, will this pc36img.zip take me back to the release version of hboot as well as stock 2.1?

(I have some testing I need to do on my evo before I root my boss', gf, and other buddy's phones... I don't want them to lose their 1.40 PRI... I'm still stuck at 1.34 unfortunately, hence the reason I just want to get back to stock hboot and do all the testing from my phone...)

Last edited:

Testrunner

Jul 17, 2010
Highland
So, I used Toast's method for rooting and have the eng hboot... I'm looking to get back to complete stock so I can play with Unrevoked 3.2... Just to verify before I proceed, will this pc36img.zip take me back to the release version of hboot as well as stock 2.1?

(I have some testing I need to do on my evo before I root my boss', gf, and other buddy's phones... I don't want them to lose their 1.40 PRI... I'm still stuck at 1.34 unfortunately, hence the reason I just want to get back to stock hboot and do all the testing from my phone...)
I used toast's method as well as unrevoked forever. It would be nice to know if this would work.

Unlike you, I tested the new unrevoked method on a few friends evo's without a single prob.

I would like to start over, unroot, get 1.4 pri and be done with it till the next big thing comes along.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Testrunner

Jul 17, 2010
Highland
Good news! It worked!

I had used simple root and had the the eng hboot.

DId the 2 simple steps and now am back to stock 2.2 as if I never rooted my phone. Now that I know it works.... back to root I go.

P.s I have 1.4 pri now too.

Thanks!

clownberg

Jun 3, 2010
I can not get this to work

hey can you help me out-I keep flashing unrevoked-forever-son.zip repeatedly and it doesnt work-It keeps saying s-off.I have clockworkmod recovery-I need to turn s-on because i have to take my evo back to a sprint repair shop.my 4g radio got hosed.I must have deleted the keys-I was able to correct my mac address however 4g will still not connect

Testrunner

Jul 17, 2010
Highland
hey can you help me out-I keep flashing unrevoked-forever-son.zip repeatedly and it doesnt work-It keeps saying s-off.I have clockworkmod recovery-I need to turn s-on because i have to take my evo back to a sprint repair shop.my 4g radio got hosed.I must have deleted the keys-I was able to correct my mac address however 4g will still not connect
I bet you have s-on but it says s-off. Confusing right? Well, if you used simple root and have the engineering bootloader it will still say s-off even after running unrevoked-forever-son. Run it a few times just to make sure then do part two.

Well, that's what I did and ONLY after part 2 did I get s-on.

Reactions: 00mred00
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone