• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Guide: how to update your LG V30+ (H930DS) to Android 9 Pie (BETA! NOT FULL VERSION)

Search This thread

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm making this thread for those like me, desperate for Pie on our beloved LG V30 (V30+ in this case). Personally I wanted to see if updating to Pie would fix that very annoying GCam issue I've been having (selfie green tint). Spoiler alert: it did not fix anything. Oh well. If you want to try Pie beta on your V30+ for some other reason, here's my guide.

Five things to note before we get started:

1. I wouldn't try this on devices other than H930DS. You've been warned.
2. You cannot go back to previous Oreo firmware if you do this.
3. You must lock your bootloader before you attempt this upgrade (if you unlocked it)
4. Must be on THIS firmware otherwise the operation will not work.
5. In Android Pie Beta for the V30, there are some languages missing in the settings. English is there though.

Now that that's out of the way, let's do this.

Step 1: downloads

Download Pie beta OTA for the H930DS
The file is 1.8 GB.

Download these necessary files (LGUP & drivers) here

Step 2: Preparation

Once you downloaded the zip (thanks to @PilyTam by the way), extract the files to a location of your choice.
Then, install LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.2.0.exe, LGUP_Common_DLL_Ver_1_0_28_5.msi , and LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.msi
The only file that you haven't touched yet is another zip - LGUP V30DLL_PATCHED.zip . Extract the files to where LGUP is installed. By default it will be in C:\Program Files\LG Electronics\LGUP . Replace the files when prompted.

Step 3: Proceeding with the update

Make sure your device has "USB Debugging" enabled in the settings. You can find this option in developer settings.
To enable developer settings:
Go to settings > general > about phone > software info
Now tap "build number" until you see the "you are a developer" message.

Connect your V30 to your PC.

Launch LGUP.

Choose FOTA Upgrade

ID4QAPL.png

In file path, click on the three dots and find the OTA update - H930DS-V22j-HKG-to-H930DS-V29g-HKG.up
r3SPt9P.png

And finally, click Start.

It will appear to be stuck at 4% for some time with the message saying "Flash package" (at least that's what happened to me), but don't panic, just let it do its thing. When the LGUP program says the operation has succeeded, you still have to wait for your V30 to actually apply the update. It will say "FOTA EASY UPDATE" in big blue letters on your screen. And it will take some time to apply the update.

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone. I hope my guide was clear enough. If you need any help I'll do my best to assist you.

Here are some screenshots.

dh4Ubkn.png

diTyzOT.png

L472zXs.jpg

ZEJdeA5.png

bTSDaBI.png

Last edited:

sonsumo

Aug 24, 2017
If i flash pie beta on my h930, Then will i be able to roll back?

you can follow this to roll back andoid 8 stock, I tried, it work for me androidsage[.]com/2019/06/17/download-and-install-lg-g7-android-9-pie-via-kdz-firmware/
and h933 file for someone need drive.google[.]com/file/d/1ObKD8GxyOkNomKOgrw4FMrkNaj94Trir/view?usp=sharing

Markbarr

May 31, 2016
Córdoba
Hello, I did the whole process, the blue letters came out, it was restarted and an error came out, I have the h930ds, firmware 22j but the open eu, it was as it was.

RM_Wreckers

Oct 30, 2018
Can someone tell me does the beta has any issues and does this neta enable DTS x on v30+ i have indian h930ds was thinking i should install

bilong9

Jun 8, 2015
29i Update
1.png

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

i can dump and i was able to create stock zip V300 and H933

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

FULL
1BoTz.png

You can share it for everyone ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm making this thread for those like me, desperate for Pie on our beloved LG V30 (V30+ in this case). Personally I wanted to see if updating to Pie would fix that very annoying GCam issue I've been having (selfie green tint). Spoiler alert: it did not fix anything. Oh well. If you want to try Pie beta on your V30+ for some other reason, here's my guide.

Five things to note before we get started:

1. I wouldn't try this on devices other than H930DS. You've been warned.
    2. You cannot go back to previous Oreo firmware if you do this.
    3. You must lock your bootloader before you attempt this upgrade (if you unlocked it)
    4. Must be on THIS firmware otherwise the operation will not work.
    5. In Android Pie Beta for the V30, there are some languages missing in the settings. English is there though.

Now that that's out of the way, let's do this.

Step 1: downloads

Download Pie beta OTA for the H930DS
    The file is 1.8 GB.

Download these necessary files (LGUP & drivers) here

Step 2: Preparation

Once you downloaded the zip (thanks to @PilyTam by the way), extract the files to a location of your choice.
    Then, install LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.2.0.exe, LGUP_Common_DLL_Ver_1_0_28_5.msi , and LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.msi
    The only file that you haven't touched yet is another zip - LGUP V30DLL_PATCHED.zip . Extract the files to where LGUP is installed. By default it will be in C:\Program Files\LG Electronics\LGUP . Replace the files when prompted.

Step 3: Proceeding with the update

Make sure your device has "USB Debugging" enabled in the settings. You can find this option in developer settings.
    To enable developer settings:
    Go to settings > general > about phone > software info
    Now tap "build number" until you see the "you are a developer" message.

Connect your V30 to your PC.

Launch LGUP.

Choose FOTA Upgrade

ID4QAPL.png

In file path, click on the three dots and find the OTA update - H930DS-V22j-HKG-to-H930DS-V29g-HKG.up
    r3SPt9P.png

And finally, click Start.

It will appear to be stuck at 4% for some time with the message saying "Flash package" (at least that's what happened to me), but don't panic, just let it do its thing. When the LGUP program says the operation has succeeded, you still have to wait for your V30 to actually apply the update. It will say "FOTA EASY UPDATE" in big blue letters on your screen. And it will take some time to apply the update.

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone. I hope my guide was clear enough. If you need any help I'll do my best to assist you.

Here are some screenshots.

dh4Ubkn.png

diTyzOT.png

L472zXs.jpg

ZEJdeA5.png

bTSDaBI.png

We can't go back to Oreo? This is useless then.

I can go back to oreo

You went back to Oreo using regular LGUP? On what variant? In previous screenshot you have a Korean variant. You aren't crossflashing -- you are just reverting to prior Oreo using regular LGUP or what?

Are you able to root with this?

Because over in the your thread that was locked, @viktor.s couldn't revert due to Dev Patched LGUP not working with Pie yet. We don't have the dll needed for Pie, so no crossflashing can be done once on Pie. Or at least couldn't as of a week ago.

Or Oreo, it seems he had originally cross flashed his Korea model to something else... But for Pie beta he had to revert to stock firmware so he went back to Korean stock KDZ and updated to Pie. He HATED it -- and after a couple of days wanted to revert back to Oreo and couldn't, he said:

viktor.s said:
    Hi guys, i have installed v29a on my v300s and i don't like it at all (because it is korean fw with some korea-specific things)
    any idea how to get root on this firmware or how to downgrade back to oreo ? i tried to downgrade with lgup but it says dll errorr (i have used dll and exe from the OP)
    viktor.s said:
    yes man , but now i can't install any other firmware with LGUP

Korean variants don't have fastboot flash commands and he couldn't cross flash to a variant which does.

@runningnak3d confirmed you can't cross flash on Pie until we get the dll from full KDZ and until he looks at it we won't know if ARB is changed.

runningnak3d said:
    Until we can get a copy of the firmware we won't know. The issue with LG UP is the fact that it DOES install the new -- *totally* locked down LAF, and yes, he needs a new DLL.

He can TRY the V35 (or hell, G7, or V40) DLL with the dev LG UP that has been patched to ignore model. Even then, the DLL will probably have to be patched.

The issue is that the current DLL is sending a HELO with an older laf version, and the new laf is ... well .. laughing.

I effing hate LG.

I hate to say I told you so, but damn, I did warn that this was dangerous, and I was willing to take the risk. I could have fixed my phone, because I would have taken the time to patch the DLL, but I am sorry, I am not going to spend the enormous amount of time fixing someone's phone that couldn't wait. You will *probably* be able to fix your phone once official Pie is released, and you pull the DLL out of the KDZ.

-- Brian
    Anyone on Indian H930DS try this yet ?
    Any bugs ?
    Still has the bugs LG found for the announced delay. ;) LG is still fixing those.

EDIT:. over in other thread, people say they can downgrade back to Oreo. So,I don't know why some say they can't?

EDIT:. over in other thread, people say they can downgrade and root again...

_____
    I can go back to oreo
    Anyone who wants to downgrade to oreo please contact me
    Or you can publicly post helpful guide how to do it. ;)

Just asking in the thread isn't enough?

Methinks you want to charge money? Hope I'm wrong.
    We can't go back to Oreo? This is useless then. And does the sim work?

Lol useless? Thanks. And yes sim works. Proof here https://imgur.com/a/nAq8cZ5

I didn't have my SIM card inside earlier but now I put it in and it works.