[GUIDE] [HOWTO] Return to stock for Huawei Watch

Search This thread

jdsm

Aug 2, 2009
remove update notification from 1.5 to 2.0

i managed to downgrade my HW1 to 1.5 from 2.0

BUT HOW i disable and remove update notification from 1.5 to 2.0???

andysoft83

Mar 7, 2016
i managed to downgrade my HW1 to 1.5 from 2.0

BUT HOW i disable and remove update notification from 1.5 to 2.0???

This is also my question , I appreciate if somebody will know how to disable the annoying notification , first for me it was gone after I restarted my watch but since today doesn't work like that anymore.
Solutions ?

carelockh

Jan 19, 2012
Winston-Salem, NC
So for the life of me, I cannot figure out why I can't get my watch to return to stock. I've followed the steps but whenever I try to reboot to recovery to do a wipe, it just boot loops endlessly in recovery mode so I have no choice but to shut it down. I am however still able to get into fastboot mode.

I don't know if I've somehow bricked my watch but I don't see how that's possible when I can still get into the bootloader so it can't be completely bricked.

Arbygar

Dec 31, 2010
hi
i managed to get mine working as well ! (Thanks to abhanli, pkt_lnt and skin180)

make sure you are in fastboot menu on your watch (holding the power button till switches off and the pressing again after vibrates)

most important thing next is to press shift and right click anywhere in the adb folder on your computer, and then run command prompt from there, otherwise adb will not load up and you will think that you have just run a dodgy script !

unlock your bootloader (typing "Fastboot Oem Unlock" in the command prompt in adb folder)

then you can use steps of skin180 (link above)
OR
https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/downloads.html

scroll down to huawei watch and choose second download option (non preview image for after testing) (thanks pkt_lnt)

extract into your adb folder (located in c:\)
then using the command prompt in adb folder, navigate to that extracted folder (using dos commands)
then if you are on windows, type "flash-all.bat"

hey presto - will work !
when it reboots, you may think "darn it still has spinning dots !" but if you wait about 5-10 mins it progresses past that stage and comes up with welcome screen !

My watch is working again !
HUAWEI customer services are a pile of POO. Their repair centre in UK is waste of time. They never answer the phone and never reply to messages.
If the Huawei watch wasnt so beautiful, i'd never bother with them !

Good luck and thanks all.

After hours of trying so many things suggested here, this finally worked. I couldn't get past the boot logo, but could use fastboot and TWRP. I kept getting an error when pushing system to sdcard and had many mount issues when wiping and flashing. The link that Poorak has above did not get me to the MEC23L flash-all batch file, that I could find. I Google searched to find it and came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrBEmi35-E from RootJunky. There is a link in the description to the Huawei Watch files needed. I used "sturgeon-mec23l-wear-stock.zip" and followed RootJunky's video instructions. Finally up and running again. Thank you everyone for all your input on these forums.

jamescridland

Jul 21, 2017
I've just returned my Huawei watch to stock (which appears to be v1.5 since there's no factory image for final v2.0).

It wasn't actually very easy, since a lot has changed since the beginning of this thread, so I've written a simple guide - for people with a MacBook - of how to do it.

Can't link to it here, of course, since I'm a new user. But go to Medium, my username is the same as here, and it's in my latest posts. It's called "How to restore your Huawei Android Wear watch to Android Wear 1.5 (using a Mac)" and if Google is doing its thing, if you paste that in, it should work. (Feel free to link below).

Hope that's useful for someone.

Reactions: Xiz

tatoone

Oct 14, 2007
I'm uploading a zip file that can be flashed with twrp. It might restore stock system, boot and recovery so, after the flash, you should only relock bootloader anda you are good to go.

It's untested so only people that know how to restore the watch should try it.

Like i said, i dont own this watch so i can't test for you. Sorry.

https://mega.nz/#!vkBSCR4C!hZzbAMe7PZPBG88Bfm3mBi6hAfDHCpLMArIwpY6xhHc

Whata androidwear version restore your zip file? Thanks

spicerackk

Sep 15, 2017
I am so over trying to follow all of these instructions and getting nowhere.

I have tried every single method to get this back to stock, and none have worked for me. I have downloaded every file mentioned, and yet my watch is still bootlooping to stock android recovery. Can someone PLEASE give me some help?

I also have been getting a weird code when I use the dd command in adb when following the instructions in post #1. @Skin1980, please help!

Skin1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 25, 2009
I am so over trying to follow all of these instructions and getting nowhere.

I have tried every single method to get this back to stock, and none have worked for me. I have downloaded every file mentioned, and yet my watch is still bootlooping to stock android recovery. Can someone PLEASE give me some help?

I also have been getting a weird code when I use the dd command in adb when following the instructions in post #1. @Skin1980, please help!
Contact me on Hangouts [email protected]

lowery23

Apr 20, 2009
Thanks for the link and the steps that you followed. I was trying to return my watch to stock and was having problems. I downloaded the files from the video, followed the instructions to get it back to 1.5 then allowed it to upgrade to 2.0 and it's now running perfectly.

He2isenberg

Dec 12, 2015
hi guys , in step : fastboot boot TWRP its show : FAILED (status read failed (Too many links)) . can any one help me plz ?

SirTurbo

Mar 25, 2012
Braunschweig
i cant use adb by usb anymore, because my watch isnt recognized by any of my computers.
but i can still use adb by wlan. But i think that wont work for fastboot flashing.

So... can i just copy system.img to /sdcard/ by wlan and then flash it from trwp? (in the moment i am on custom 2.0 rom)
no boot, no recovery to keep open bootloader and twrp?

the links on developer are not good. no download for hw there?

on stechguide i found an image from 2.0 preview to 2.0 final.
Can i flash it from twrp? what about bootloader, twrp - killed after that?

on rootjunkie i found an image based on 1.x and one on 2.0 preview. rooted i expect^^
when i flash the preview, can i later flash ota final? will it fail because of root? because of preview?
because of whatever?^^

if i first flash rooted preview and then stock 2.0 - what do i get? brick? 2.0 unrooted?
plz give me some hints what i can flash by twrp. keeping twrp would be preferred because of the possibility to return to custom if i like without problems.

cybericius

May 11, 2017
I have tried both methods:

1., The dd method

PS C:\adb> adb devices
List of devices attached
MQB7N1612x recovery

PS C:\adb> adb push 'R:\Documents\Huawei Watch\system.img' /sdcard/
4664 KB/s (536870912 bytes in 112.399s)
PS C:\adb> adb shell
~ # cd sdcard/[J
/sdcard # [6nl[Js
Alarms
DCIM
Download
Movies
Music
Notifications
Pictures
Podcasts
Ringtones
TWRP
system.img
/sdcard # [6ndd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system
1048576+0 records in
1048576+0 records out
536870912 bytes (512.0MB) copied, 154.045638 seconds, 3.3MB/s
/sdcard #

2., fastboot.exe flash system 'R:\Documents\Huawei Watch\system.img'
PS C:\adb> .\fastboot.exe flash system 'R:\Documents\Huawei Watch\system.img'
target reported max download size of 63963136 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 0.617s]
sending sparse 'system' (62462 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.952s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 6.705s]
sending sparse 'system' (62226 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.914s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 6.205s]
sending sparse 'system' (62463 KB)...
OKAY [ 6.020s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 6.104s]
sending sparse 'system' (62462 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.932s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 6.257s]
OKAY [ 5.990s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 8.294s]
OKAY [ 5.943s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 6.213s]
sending sparse 'system' (62290 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.935s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 5.940s]
sending sparse 'system' (26584 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.525s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 2.493s]
finished. total time: 93.053s
PS C:\adb> .\fastboot.exe devices

Result:

Huawei logo stuck at start.

Is there an alternative image file I could flash?
My intention is to install the latest official ROM after N7G75S. At least I suppose there is a newer one, since my watch wanted to install an OTA update, but failed all the time at around 15-20% resulting in a dead android.
Thanks for any help.

History: I wouldn't have done any flashing if I wasn't required to do so. Originally, I had issue with upgrading to AW2.0, as I had to tap million times the "system is up-to-date" screen to eventually start downloading and upgrading the watch from 1.5 to 2.0 back in February. Then, I had similar problems with upgrading to N7G75S from MEx - don't remember the FW version exactly - which I solved with manual flashing by adb sideload execution. It worked. Now again the watch tells me that there is a new update, and whenever it starts the upgrade process, just about at around 20% is stops and shows the dead android screen. Looks like now I have flashed to the system partition the system.img included in the guide by skin1980, downloaded from Mega.nz. Most probably it is a 1.5 image, but not sure, it could be maybe a problem after initially having 2.0.
I thought it might help to understand my situation to describe the history, so maybe someone can suggest me a good and working 2.0 full image, which would allow me to properly have the watch upgraded with the latest OTA update.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

chrisss7

Dec 25, 2017
watchface

hi guys, just got the huawei watch , i'm looking for any app or watchfaces who can adjust the brightness level of ambient mode like skymaster pilot.
also i've notice when ambient mode is on, the screen is moving, watchface is not in the center! is this normal ?

Last edited:

gadget_boy

Dec 3, 2011
I think I've hard bricked the watch as the ROM won't boot and I can't enter bootloader from using the hardware buttons! I am pressing the button as soon as the Logo appears and it just vibrates twice and starts to boot. Is there any other way I can get ADB access without booting into the ROM or hardware buttons? Can anyone help? :(

Hello everybody! :)

I just wanted to post on my experience with Going Back to Stock.
I apologize in advance for information that you already know. I just wanted to relay what I have experienced in the past 7 hours in total of this eventually successful process.

Reason:
My Stock never fiddled with Huawei Watch W1 that just last month went past its two-year warranty started becoming increasingly slow.
So I did what I normally do ever so often: I went into Fastboot via Hardware Button Mode->Stock Recovery->Wipe Cache and for the first time ever, it took well over twenty minutes and it was still going for it.
As a fool, I thought it was just frozen so I forced restarted it.
Surpriseee! Failed to Mount Cache error in a loop and with the watch at 30% battery. I had to shut it down from fastboot menu.

Troubleshooting:
I tried to search for every square inch of information about people in the same situation. I came across very few XDA Threads.
Some explained that they had to OEM Unlock and install TWRP. Here in TWRP they went to the data partition->Repair partition or something similar and then it magically worked.
Yupee
So I tried the same. Unlocked, installed TWRP and tried to repair partition
--->>>Error: Unable to mount \data
--->>>Unable to mount \system etc
Found some other guy on youtube that explained: In this situation, you have to change the storage Format type. Mine was Ext4 and the only one that worked was FAT.
Now it was detecting storage, data, everything....but no more operating system, or data, boot, recovery(TWRP was just booted from fastboot not flashed)

Followed this thread's steps
Tried the first variant: fastboot boot, recovery and then system.
At the system.img it would start with: Invalid sparse file format at header magi
I rebooted and it was going through bootloop. Of course I went into stock recovery and tried wiping cache and factory settings etc. Still bootloop.
Tried 2nd variant.
But since no-one mentioned the exact order for the 2nd variant, or at least I was not able to see someone mention it probably due to the level of desperation I had, I was doing the following:

Boot the 3 images in order and THEEEN push via ADB and use the ADB shell command.
Of course, most of the times it would boot directly to TWRP.
I attempted this process over and over. Formatting the data, erasing the cache, wiping all data, even storage.

At one point, It booted and I was seeing for the first time in 5 hours the Welcome Message BUT immediately after: Error: Google Play Services Framework has stopped Working-OK Over and over and over. In half a second intervals.

So I tried hitting it from scratch but with a different approach.
-Tried with compiled zip found on this thread.->Bootloop
-Tried with other people's kernels and ROM from other post-neither combination worked
-Tried to find stock image from Google Website-Found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING(it's as if they deleted everything or they just would not allow access anymore to stock images)

Resolution:
Eventually I tried this Thread's procedure the following way:
1.fastboot flash system boot.img
2.fastboot flash system recovery.img
3.fastboot boot TWRP2.8.7.0-Sturgeon.img ->it will boot into TWRP->remove watch from the cradle and put it back.
4.adb push system.img /sdcard/
5.adb shell dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system and at this step you need to wait a LOT. It took about 20min.
6. Wipe cache/factory reset
7. reboot
8. Wait to see if it actually works. If it does without errors then do not forget about the last step.
9.Fastboot OEM lock

I apologize for the long post and I hope that, in my disorganized way of writing, I will be able to help others not to go through the same lengthy process that I had to follow.

Thank you all for all the information I was able to gather from you.
Without you guys, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy my smartwatch again.

Reactions: ed33 and TheGoD

Vanillezucker

Jun 8, 2018
Münster
OnePlus 5
stuck in bootloop after following the instructions

Hello everybody! :)

I just wanted to post on my experience with Going Back to Stock.
I apologize in advance for information that you already know. I just wanted to relay what I have experienced in the past 7 hours in total of this eventually successful process.

Reason:
My Stock never fiddled with Huawei Watch W1 that just last month went past its two-year warranty started becoming increasingly slow.
So I did what I normally do ever so often: I went into Fastboot via Hardware Button Mode->Stock Recovery->Wipe Cache and for the first time ever, it took well over twenty minutes and it was still going for it.
As a fool, I thought it was just frozen so I forced restarted it.
Surpriseee! Failed to Mount Cache error in a loop and with the watch at 30% battery. I had to shut it down from fastboot menu.

Troubleshooting:
I tried to search for every square inch of information about people in the same situation. I came across very few XDA Threads.
Some explained that they had to OEM Unlock and install TWRP. Here in TWRP they went to the data partition->Repair partition or something similar and then it magically worked.
Yupee
So I tried the same. Unlocked, installed TWRP and tried to repair partition
--->>>Error: Unable to mount \data
--->>>Unable to mount \system etc
Found some other guy on youtube that explained: In this situation, you have to change the storage Format type. Mine was Ext4 and the only one that worked was FAT.
Now it was detecting storage, data, everything....but no more operating system, or data, boot, recovery(TWRP was just booted from fastboot not flashed)

Followed this thread's steps
Tried the first variant: fastboot boot, recovery and then system.
At the system.img it would start with: Invalid sparse file format at header magi
I rebooted and it was going through bootloop. Of course I went into stock recovery and tried wiping cache and factory settings etc. Still bootloop.
Tried 2nd variant.
But since no-one mentioned the exact order for the 2nd variant, or at least I was not able to see someone mention it probably due to the level of desperation I had, I was doing the following:

Boot the 3 images in order and THEEEN push via ADB and use the ADB shell command.
Of course, most of the times it would boot directly to TWRP.
I attempted this process over and over. Formatting the data, erasing the cache, wiping all data, even storage.

At one point, It booted and I was seeing for the first time in 5 hours the Welcome Message BUT immediately after: Error: Google Play Services Framework has stopped Working-OK Over and over and over. In half a second intervals.

So I tried hitting it from scratch but with a different approach.
-Tried with compiled zip found on this thread.->Bootloop
-Tried with other people's kernels and ROM from other post-neither combination worked
-Tried to find stock image from Google Website-Found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING(it's as if they deleted everything or they just would not allow access anymore to stock images)

Resolution:
Eventually I tried this Thread's procedure the following way:
1.fastboot flash system boot.img
2.fastboot flash system recovery.img
3.fastboot boot TWRP2.8.7.0-Sturgeon.img ->it will boot into TWRP->remove watch from the cradle and put it back.
4.adb push system.img /sdcard/
5.adb shell dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system and at this step you need to wait a LOT. It took about 20min.
6. Wipe cache/factory reset
7. reboot
8. Wait to see if it actually works. If it does without errors then do not forget about the last step.
9.Fastboot OEM lock

I apologize for the long post and I hope that, in my disorganized way of writing, I will be able to help others not to go through the same lengthy process that I had to follow.

Thank you all for all the information I was able to gather from you.
Without you guys, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy my smartwatch again.

I followed your instructions step by step after the method explained in the first post didn't work (bootloop: constantly showing the moving colored dots of the Google Logo).
first I thought you made a mistake in 1. and 2. because you flash the system not the boot image and the recovery. But I also tried:
1. fastboot flash boot boot.img
2. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
That didn't make a difference.
However I result in another bootloop where the attached image is shown every few seconds for less than half a second.
Step 6 doesn't seem to work for me as I always get the error "mount ... (e.g. cache) failed" and the whole process failed. I wiped both caches with the advanced wipe. Format data is also showing me the error "mount ... failed" but says succeed in the end.
I attached the fastboot/adb log. Maybe someone can help me. Thanks in advantage :)

Edit: attached image failed to load

Attachments

• log.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, since the development is started i think that we also need a way to restore the watch to the stock FW.

HOWTO:

- download from the following links the boot, recovery and system image;
    - reboot to fastboot and:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img

and then go to recovery and do a wipe data / factory reset.

EDIT:

For some strange reason the system img flash didn't work properly on a device i could test. Here is the workaround:

1- First of all download the TWRP from the other thread and fastboot boot it:
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP2.8.7.0-Sturgeon.img

2 - Then push the system.img in the sdcard so:
    Code:
    adb push system.img /sdcard/

3 - Now flash it:
    Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system

4 - reboot

Link:

https://mega.nz/#!rgRQHRrb!lgQCvqH-qkuqitPRRXfCad29MdmJ6ynaUHJDr0hjeLM
    https://mega.nz/#!ahgjxA4R!y8Hb0CBVBRwUr0tA3HeFrrqh0ALAiMyqJu0pLsBsAD8
    https://mega.nz/#!2pYVBDpA!wQJT8LDcffk7uxEmrsqna6MKWIODD-FqBO_k4Poml7g
    hi
    i managed to get mine working as well ! (Thanks to abhanli, pkt_lnt and skin180)

make sure you are in fastboot menu on your watch (holding the power button till switches off and the pressing again after vibrates)

most important thing next is to press shift and right click anywhere in the adb folder on your computer, and then run command prompt from there, otherwise adb will not load up and you will think that you have just run a dodgy script !

unlock your bootloader (typing "Fastboot Oem Unlock" in the command prompt in adb folder)

then you can use steps of skin180 (link above)
    OR
    https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/downloads.html

scroll down to huawei watch and choose second download option (non preview image for after testing) (thanks pkt_lnt)

extract into your adb folder (located in c:\)
    then using the command prompt in adb folder, navigate to that extracted folder (using dos commands)
    then if you are on windows, type "flash-all.bat"

hey presto - will work !
    when it reboots, you may think "darn it still has spinning dots !" but if you wait about 5-10 mins it progresses past that stage and comes up with welcome screen !

My watch is working again !
    HUAWEI customer services are a pile of POO. Their repair centre in UK is waste of time. They never answer the phone and never reply to messages.
    If the Huawei watch wasnt so beautiful, i'd never bother with them !

Good luck and thanks all.
    I'm uploading a zip file that can be flashed with twrp. It might restore stock system, boot and recovery so, after the flash, you should only relock bootloader anda you are good to go.

It's untested so only people that know how to restore the watch should try it.

Like i said, i dont own this watch so i can't test for you. Sorry.

https://mega.nz/#!vkBSCR4C!hZzbAMe7PZPBG88Bfm3mBi6hAfDHCpLMArIwpY6xhHc
    I'm getting the same exact issue while trying to follow the steps from skin1980

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

I was having the same issue when you go to mount you will notice that the storage space is 0k
    When you go to TWRP go to Wipe>Format Data> type "yes" hit Done now when you go to mount you should see the internal storage space go up to 2535 or something close to that. Now try following the steps of copying the system.img to /sdcard/ and then the adb push. mine copies the files and everything but when I try to reboot I get this quick flash in recovery. I can't see what it is. It looks like it saying "error to mount '/cache/'

Use this link. https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/downloads.html
    Scroll down to the Huawei watch
    Choose the second download link to get MEC23L "Non-preview image (for after testing)"

Decompress it into your fastboot directory and use the flash-all.bat to restore to stock.

This is the Google watch image and is much easier.