Guide/HowTo/Tips'nTricks - The perfect Nook Simple Touch Setup w/ battery optimizati

Search This thread

grockk

Feb 21, 2015
Guide/HowTo/Tips'nTricks - The perfect Nook Simple Touch Setup
Uninstall the following stock apps:-

AFfileDownloadService.apk (Hint: disables book covers, skip it if you like book covers)
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
BnAuthenticationService.apk
BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
CloudService.apk
DemoMode.apk
DeviceManager.apk
DeviceRegistrator.apk
Music.apk
NookCommunity.apk
Phone.apk
QuickStartActivity.apk
Shop.apk
Social.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
WaveformDownloader.apk

(Hint: you can just delete the above apks from /system/app/ directory, then reboot)
This is a great list. I found going into CWM and doing a clear cache and clear Dalvik-cache to be necessary to prevent glitches especially when removing stock apps like these.

Launcher:-
Best launcher seems to be ReLaunch v1.3.8
Also note: It seems to use ~20% CPU while idle, time to bug the developer
meanwhile best not to leave it running then huh?
I noticed the same thing. Another thread said to go into adb and see if it was actually 20% when idle or just when running the task manager. I can confirm that the task manager takes 20% but if you are just in the file manager or app launcher then ReLaunch only uses about 1%. There is also a newer version of ReLaunch 1.3.11 from the russian website www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20425. It's up to version 1.3.11 and includes Dropbox support and nicely updated interface among numerous bug fixes. Some discussion over here http://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/development/1337-rom-t2931567. I've been using the version here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23735749/Main_test.apk
Code:
CHANGELOG
        - rewritten panels management
        - updated English translation (tivasyk)
        - full new icons(krakozawr)
        - numerous code rewrites
        - added FTP support
        - added panels management
        - revised OPDS code
        - minor fixes and improvements
        - numerous code rewrites
        - fixed NST identification on firmware versions 1.2.0 and 1.2.1
        - fixed hanging up when re-entering WiFi settings, this fixes opening settings on Sony ebooks, calls Android system settings applet on other devices
        - fixed problems with file filtering
        - fixed hanging up when calling empty application link
        - added option to manually swith language
        - added possibility to optionally hide button panels
        - added option to assign buttons to any of the available actions
        - added possibility to call Android system settings applets
        - added displaying additional info about FB2 files
        - added possibility to connect to Dropbox (fataddams)
        - added possibility to work with OPDS Catalogs (fataddams)
        - numerous code rewrites

Last edited:

Tharg0r

Aug 29, 2010
Here are the files Shop.apk and DeviceManager.apk for IIGordex and anyone else who needs them.

Have a good day!
Hi again, I have both of these installed but double tapping on a book in the library just brings up a blank screen even though I know the books all have full metadata and the same files on my phone and other readers will have the blurbs etc, any clue what I need to do to get them, its the same result for the More option from the context menu when reading a book. I tried reinstalling them anyway, Shop.apk reinstalled fine, DeviceManager.apk fails to install after the warning that I will be replacing an existing app. Does anyone have any ideas?

N

NOOK!E

Hi again, I have both of these installed but double tapping on a book in the library just brings up a blank screen even though I know the books all have full metadata and the same files on my phone and other readers will have the blurbs etc, any clue what I need to do to get them, its the same result for the More option from the context menu when reading a book. I tried reinstalling them anyway, Shop.apk reinstalled fine, DeviceManager.apk fails to install after the warning that I will be replacing an existing app. Does anyone have any ideas?

Try moving DeviceManager.apk from /system/app to your external SD card (/sdcard), rebooting, moving DeviceManager.apk back to /system/app, and rebooting again. That should properly re-install DeviceManager.apk and fix your problem.

Tharg0r

Aug 29, 2010
Try moving DeviceManager.apk from /system/app to your external SD card (/sdcard), rebooting, moving DeviceManager.apk back to /system/app, and rebooting again. That should properly re-install DeviceManager.apk and fix your problem.
It wont let me move it, I seem to get a lot of access denied errors in ES Flie explorer even though Ive given it root access. Just looked there and there is no DeviceManager.apk in the apps folder even though if I try to install it it says Im installing an existing app, this is driving me nuts now...

N

NOOK!E

It wont let me move it, I seem to get a lot of access denied errors in ES Flie explorer even though Ive given it root access. Just looked there and there is no DeviceManager.apk in the apps folder even though if I try to install it it says Im installing an existing app, this is driving me nuts now...

Did you follow the instructions I gave you in a previous correspondence for mounting all partitions as read-write?

If DeviceManager.apk isn't in /system/app but it's still telling you that it's installed, first, check /data/app and see if it's in there (you'll need to enable "Show hidden files and folders" to view that directory); if it's in there, delete it and reboot, and if it's not there, reboot.

Tharg0r

Aug 29, 2010
Did you follow the instructions I gave you in a previous correspondence for mounting all partitions as read-write?

If DeviceManager.apk isn't in /system/app but it's still telling you that it's installed, first, check /data/app and see if it's in there (you'll need to enable "Show hidden files and folders" to view that directory); if it's in there, delete it and reboot, and if it's not there, reboot.
How do you mount partitions as read/write sorry? I havent come across that and Ive been reading threads all day, thanks.

N

NOOK!E

Got it done and moved thanks, no sign of Devicemanager.apk in /data/app, reboots make no difference, still no blurbs or metadata, just a blank screen when I doubletap on a book. Any other suggestions? :(

Okay, so now that we've established that DeviceManager.apk isn't in either /system/app or /data/app and you've rebooted your Nook, you can fix your issue by downloading the DeviceManager.apk file I attached up there ^ somewhere, moving it to /system/app, and immediately rebooting. THEN your problem will be fixed!

Tharg0r

Aug 29, 2010
@Tharg0r, use the instructions I posted here.
Okay, I finally got it, I just did the whole root and 1337 flash procedure again. Got all the junk deleted and everything else recommended in this thread. But it turns out it doesnt give a blurb/synopsis of the damn book! Thats what I just spent the last hour trying to get!

Is that right? It just shows data about the file like this:

http://i.imgur.com/0dsyKWc.jpg

Is there any way to get a blurb/synopsis on the default Nook reader? Minor niggle I know but I want everything to be perfect...

N

NOOK!E

Okay, I finally got it, I just did the whole root and 1337 flash procedure again. Got all the junk deleted and everything else recommended in this thread. But it turns out it doesnt give a blurb/synopsis of the damn book! Thats what I just spent the last hour trying to get!

Is that right? It just shows data about the file like this:

http://i.imgur.com/0dsyKWc.jpg

Is there any way to get a blurb/synopsis on the default Nook reader? Minor niggle I know but I want everything to be perfect...

The only books for which you get a synopsis are books purchased from Barnes and Noble. All other sideloaded books (like that one) only have that properties/information screen. :eek:

Sorry you misunderstood!

Tharg0r

Aug 29, 2010
The only books for which you get a synopsis are books purchased from Barnes and Noble. All other sideloaded books (like that one) only have that properties/information screen. :eek:

Sorry you misunderstood!
Thats okay, it was a learning experience and it would have been annoying me if it wasnt working as it should anyway, my Nook is pretty much perfect now anyway, best reader Ive ever seen and it has Dropbox, thats all I wanted. Put some nice screensavers on there aswell instead of that boring stock tree pic. Thanks again ИΘΘK¡€!

Tharg0r

Aug 29, 2010
I had a really bad rattle from my power button and creaking when I pressed it on the back of mine that was annoying me but I popped the button off with a little leverage from the tip of a Swiss army knife then put a tiny piece of folded paper in there right in the middle where it wouldn't obstruct anything then clicked the power button cover back on and it completely fixed it, nice solid click when you press it now instead of a creak and zero rattle. I see a few threads complaining about this issue in various places but no fixes for it, probably a bit late in its life cycle now but it totally fixed the last remaining niggle about mine..

N

NOOK!E

I had a really bad rattle from my power button and creaking when I pressed it on the back of mine that was annoying me but I popped the button off with a little leverage from the tip of a Swiss army knife then put a tiny piece of folded paper in there right in the middle where it wouldn't obstruct anything then clicked the power button cover back on and it completely fixed it, nice solid click when you press it now instead of a creak and zero rattle. I see a few threads complaining about this issue in various places but no fixes for it, probably a bit late in its life cycle now but it totally fixed the last remaining niggle about mine..

Great fix - congrats, you've made it onto the Help Thread important links list!

Happiny61256

Oct 11, 2014
ESFileExplorer In NookManager

I rooted my Nook simple touch with NookManager. it was on 1.2.1 version. it went very smoothly.
but i can not back up! how do you back up using NookManager?
I looked for ES File Explorer. it was supposed to be there but its not.
If you had gone and read a little further in the thread, you would have figured out that ESFE was removed because the file manager in ReLaunch works just fine.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Nook Simple Touch (N2E) power management / battery optimization

Prerequisites:-

You know how to backup & restore,
You have a working backup

Unregister & wipe user data
(It is not required to register the device!)

Start with stock N2E running f/w v1.0.1/v1.1.0/v1.2.0
(If you have customized it somehow, please reset to stock)

Update to f/w v1.2.0
(This has the 1.1.0 kernel + some WiFi corrections)

Root the N2E device

Lets Begin:-

AFfileDownloadService.apk (Hint: disables book covers, skip it if you like book covers)
BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
CloudService.apk
DemoMode.apk
DeviceManager.apk
DeviceRegistrator.apk
Music.apk
NookCommunity.apk
Phone.apk
QuickStartActivity.apk
Shop.apk
Social.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
WaveformDownloader.apk

(Hint: you can just delete the above apks from /system/app/ directory, then reboot)

In file /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg
Delete the line
0 0 android
(I suspect doing this forces h/w rendering, needs more testing)

Download & adb install CPU utility(easier way)
play[dot]google[dot]com/store/apps/details?id=it.sineo.android.noFrillsCPU

Set Min AND Max clock freq. To 300 MHz
Set CPU Governor to ondemand
Set I/O scheduler to noop
check “Apply on boot”
Click Apply
Click Exit

Press Nook “U”/reverse“U” Button> Settings> Screen>Screen Timeout
Choose 2 Minutes.
Exit

Charge the battery to 100%/Full
Reboot

Results:-

Your CPU is now running at max 300MHz
When you want the N2E device to sleep, remember
DO NOT PRESS Power Button to set the N2E device to sleep
DO NOT LONG PRESS the “U”/Reverse“U” Button to set the N2E device to sleep

If you leave the N2E device alone, it will AUTOMATICALLY go to sleep,
after the 2 minute timeout set by us.

After a overnight/12 hour period check the battery level indicator by waking up the N2E device,
if it automatically entered sleep state at 100% battery charge, it should wake up at 99%
(Ideally loses ~1% charge, and most certainly less than < 3%)

Before this process, it would lose battery charge at the rate of ~3%/hour of sleep.

Further customizations:-

Button reccommedations:

set the lower left page turn button mapping to Android back button
set the lower right page turn button mapping to Android menu button

App recommendations:-

Browsers:-
Both Opera Mini & Opera Mobile work great
(Perhaps if someone can point out how to disable all opera menu animations, they annoy a bit)

Note: browsers use CPU & GPU,
better set your CPU scaling
min 300 MHz
max 800 MHz
only while browsing, and then reset it back to 300 MHz max when finished with browsing

eReader App:-
Nook stock reader is the BEST ePub reader,

FBreader & coolreader are good
(Hint: disable all animations etc) these are useful to read *.mobi

mantano free/paid app
useful for reading PDFs (also reads epub/mobi/etc)
(Note: Nook's 6inch screen is problematic for reading PDFs )

Kindle App (v3.0.1.70) works w/ Nook android 2.1
(I need to figure out how to use it as a reader w/o registering with amazon, else its useless)

Firewall :-
One would assume iptables would be build-in to the linux kernel, but no that module is missing
netfilter.ko
x_tables.ko
xt_tcpudp.ko
nf_sockopt.ko
ip_tables.ko
ipt_addrtype.ko
iptable_filter.ko

I can't use Droidwall firewall, need to do something about net security

Device syncing options:-
Recommended to use calibre to sync your library to device'SDcard

Currently, I'm Rsyncing the SDCard to PC & back via Samba file sharing, Rsync running at PC end.
(If its possible to have Sdcard as EXT4 instead of FAT32 mounted, then simple Rsync at PC end will be best)
Hint: (ofcourse all this rsyncing & samba to avoid dropbox roundtrip)

Requests:-

Please try the above process to further narrow down the power management issues, so that it becomes
easier for all of us to set the NooK N2E to sleep properly.

After testing the process, perhaps it's best to host this content on the nook wiki here:-
nookdevs[dot]com/Portal:Nook_Simple_Touch

Also, would be nice to get a proper firewall for N2E, need kernel module

Screenshots:-
hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/q1a34.png
hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/EPcqH.png
hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/W6Zbw.png
hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/wK8z8.png

Post your feedback here!

Can I have a list of apps safe to delete if I want to keep all B&N functions working?

folivore

Apr 5, 2013
NST does not appear in Google Device Manager

I am not sure it is really related to this forum thread, so I'll just give it a try. There is a problem with Nook Simple Touch related to Google services. There are two devices registered in the same one Google account: smartphone with Android 4.2 living onboard and Nook Simple Touch fw 1.2.1. NST was added first to this account, about year before the smartphone. When I try to open the Google Play Settings page (I'm sorry, I can't post direct links yet) I see just one entry
phone BarnesAndNoble BNRV300 No carrier July 7, 2015
(yes, the name for the NST is just "phone")
But there is exact opposite situation if you look into the Google's Android Device Manager - there is only the smartphone on the list.
This isn't the actual problem though. The actual problem is the fact that if I try to open any app on Google Play using a PC I can see only the "phone" (which means the NST) in the drop-down list called "Choose a device" on the dialog that appears after clicking "Install" button.
So my question is: Could this all be related to old Android version of NST and if so then how to fix it? Or rather should the user deregister any of the devices and choose separated Google account for it?

N

NOOK!E

I am not sure it is really related to this forum thread, so I'll just give it a try. There is a problem with Nook Simple Touch related to Google services. There are two devices registered in the same one Google account: smartphone with Android 4.2 living onboard and Nook Simple Touch fw 1.2.1. NST was added first to this account, about year before the smartphone. When I try to open the Google Play Settings page (I'm sorry, I can't post direct links yet) I see just one entry
phone BarnesAndNoble BNRV300 No carrier July 7, 2015
(yes, the name for the NST is just "phone")
But there is exact opposite situation if you look into the Google's Android Device Manager - there is only the smartphone on the list.
This isn't the actual problem though. The actual problem is the fact that if I try to open any app on Google Play using a PC I can see only the "phone" (which means the NST) in the drop-down list called "Choose a device" on the dialog that appears after clicking "Install" button.
So my question is: Could this all be related to old Android version of NST and if so then how to fix it? Or rather should the user deregister any of the devices and choose separated Google account for it?

It definitely has to do with the age of the Nook's Android OS (2.1 Eclair), but how to fix it, i can't say. :confused:

borzowsky

Feb 14, 2013
Milano
I have a question, If i remove the apps like the store etc, will the relative buttons/setting in the setting app disappear? or will there be a button but with non working feature?

Because for example it would be great to delete search and store from the menu that pops up when you press the "N" button

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Nook Simple Touch (N2E) power management / battery optimization

Prerequisites:-

You know how to backup & restore,
    You have a working backup

Unregister & wipe user data
    (It is not required to register the device!)

Start with stock N2E running f/w v1.0.1/v1.1.0/v1.2.0
    (If you have customized it somehow, please reset to stock)

Update to f/w v1.2.0
    (This has the 1.1.0 kernel + some WiFi corrections)

Root the N2E device

Lets Begin:-

BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
    CloudService.apk
    DemoMode.apk
    DeviceManager.apk
    DeviceRegistrator.apk
    Music.apk
    NookCommunity.apk
    Phone.apk
    QuickStartActivity.apk
    Shop.apk
    Social.apk
    TelephonyProvider.apk
    WaveformDownloader.apk

In file /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg
    Delete the line
    0 0 android
    (I suspect doing this forces h/w rendering, needs more testing)

Download & adb install CPU utility(easier way)
    play[dot]google[dot]com/store/apps/details?id=it.sineo.android.noFrillsCPU

Set Min AND Max clock freq. To 300 MHz
    Set CPU Governor to ondemand
    Set I/O scheduler to noop
    check “Apply on boot”
    Click Apply
    Click Exit

Press Nook “U”/reverse“U” Button> Settings> Screen>Screen Timeout
    Choose 2 Minutes.
    Exit

Charge the battery to 100%/Full
    Reboot

Results:-

Your CPU is now running at max 300MHz
    When you want the N2E device to sleep, remember
    DO NOT PRESS Power Button to set the N2E device to sleep
    DO NOT LONG PRESS the “U”/Reverse“U” Button to set the N2E device to sleep

If you leave the N2E device alone, it will AUTOMATICALLY go to sleep,
    after the 2 minute timeout set by us.

After a overnight/12 hour period check the battery level indicator by waking up the N2E device,
    if it automatically entered sleep state at 100% battery charge, it should wake up at 99%
    (Ideally loses ~1% charge, and most certainly less than < 3%)

Before this process, it would lose battery charge at the rate of ~3%/hour of sleep.

Further customizations:-

Button reccommedations:

set the lower left page turn button mapping to Android back button
    set the lower right page turn button mapping to Android menu button

App recommendations:-

Browsers:-
    Both Opera Mini & Opera Mobile work great
    (Perhaps if someone can point out how to disable all opera menu animations, they annoy a bit)

Note: browsers use CPU & GPU,
    better set your CPU scaling
    min 300 MHz
    max 800 MHz
    only while browsing, and then reset it back to 300 MHz max when finished with browsing

eReader App:-
    Nook stock reader is the BEST ePub reader,

FBreader & coolreader are good
    (Hint: disable all animations etc) these are useful to read *.mobi

mantano free/paid app
    useful for reading PDFs (also reads epub/mobi/etc)
    (Note: Nook's 6inch screen is problematic for reading PDFs )

Kindle App (v3.0.1.70) works w/ Nook android 2.1
    (I need to figure out how to use it as a reader w/o registering with amazon, else its useless)

Firewall :-
    One would assume iptables would be build-in to the linux kernel, but no that module is missing
    netfilter.ko
    x_tables.ko
    xt_tcpudp.ko
    nf_sockopt.ko
    ip_tables.ko
    ipt_addrtype.ko
    iptable_filter.ko

I can't use Droidwall firewall, need to do something about net security

Device syncing options:-
    Recommended to use calibre to sync your library to device'SDcard

Currently, I'm Rsyncing the SDCard to PC & back via Samba file sharing, Rsync running at PC end.
    (If its possible to have Sdcard as EXT4 instead of FAT32 mounted, then simple Rsync at PC end will be best)
    Hint: (ofcourse all this rsyncing & samba to avoid dropbox roundtrip)

Requests:-

Please try the above process to further narrow down the power management issues, so that it becomes
    easier for all of us to set the NooK N2E to sleep properly.

After testing the process, perhaps it's best to host this content on the nook wiki here:-
    nookdevs[dot]com/Portal:Nook_Simple_Touch

Also, would be nice to get a proper firewall for N2E, need kernel module

Screenshots:-
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/q1a34.png
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/EPcqH.png
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/W6Zbw.png
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/wK8z8.png

Post your feedback here!
    And, can anyone provide an updated list of apps that can be safely deleted? i use a rooted nook 1.2.1.
    AirRuntime.apk
    BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
    Browser.apk
    CloudService.apk
    DemoMode.apk
    DeviceManager.apk
    DeviceRegistrator.apk
    Gallery.apk
    GoogleSearch.apk
    Music.apk
    NookCommunity.apk
    Phone.apk
    PicoTts.apk
    QuickStartActivity.apk
    Shop.apk
    Social.apk
    TelephonyProvider.apk
    TtsService.apk
    WaveformDownloader.apk

I have uninstalled them all in my NST, so far so good (quite a while)
    Hi! I can not remove listed applications using root explorer. It tells me "...apk cannot be deleted becouse the file system is read-only". Can someone help me?
    You need to enable "Mount R/W" in Root Explorer.

Also, instead of removing/deleting the targeted app, you can simply rename that app with a different file extension, e.g., "abc.apk" to "abc.apk.bak"; this way, you can revert the change if need-be down the road.
    If you want to do this kind of stuff its really worth just setting up ADB on your PC.

Then just run "ADB Konnect" app on NST/NSTG hit on. Set screensaver to be longer (if it goes to sleep you break ADB connection)

On PC type
    Code:
    adb connect [IP Adddress/Hostname]

Then you can alter files and push or pull files to and from your computer. If something goes wrong stick nookmanager on a sdcard and you can enable wireless / ADB from there to fix whatever you just did.

If you don't need the space in your /system partition (which most won't need) you can simply disable any of these system apps to something not .apk so you can easily undo it. I usually do the following as example using copy and paste from my guide files.

Code:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    cd /system/app
    mv Music.apk Music.disable
    mv Talk.apk Talk.disable
    mv TalkProvider.apk TalkProvider.disable
    mv TelephonyProvider.apk TelephonyProvider.disable
    mv HTMLViewer.apk HTMLViewer.disable
    mv Gallery.apk Gallery.disable
    mv PicoTts.apk PicoTts.disable
    mv TtsService.apk TtsService.disable
    exit
    adb disconnect

You don't need to make system read only again a reboot will fix that.
    First clear defaults of all other readers you installed through Application Manager. Then at the book opening you should see a choice with 'Use by default' tick.
    The Mantano Reader (the only other reader installed) has nothing to clear (its "Clear Default" greyed out). I also tried uninstalling & reinstalling Mantano -- still no dice.

I am curious as to why there is no entry for BN Reader in "Manage applications".