How To Guide Nothing Phone (1) - Unlock & Root [ GUIDE ][ HowTo ]

Search This thread

dreas74

Dec 24, 2010
Nothing Phone 1
Thanks for the guide. Now i have open bootloader and root with magisk.

But there is one problem. there are some apps that I would like to delete.
As example the Youtube app. I would delete the app to have the possibility to reinstall the vanced version. But every try to delete such apps with app remover or mixplorer failed.

What should I do to remove such apps?

riccardorossi64

Jan 13, 2017
Florence ITALY
Ciao,

I successfully upgrade to 1.5 (losting my Root)

I wanted to complete returning Root, so in Magisk I create a patch IMG of boot and I flashed it with:

fastboot boot MGSK.img ...but...

Soft brick!

My PC recognized the NP1 with:

fastboot devices

then

fastboot reboot bootloader

then

fastboot boot boot.img (the basic boot, not the Magisk one)

and...

It boot regularly, BUT...

if I try to RESTART my device it doesn’t start and goes to bootloop with NP1 Logo + NP1 horizontal red and white line, black screen and then reboot, reboot...

Please... How can I solve this?

Thanks so much

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
Nothing Phone 2
OnePlus 12
Ciao,

I successfully upgrade to 1.5 (losting my Root)

I wanted to complete returning Root, so in Magisk I create a patch IMG of boot and I flashed it with:

fastboot boot MGSK.img ...but...

Soft brick!

My PC recognized the NP1 with:

fastboot devices

then

fastboot reboot bootloader

then

fastboot boot boot.img (the basic boot, not the Magisk one)

and...

It boot regularly, BUT...

if I try to RESTART my device it doesn’t start and goes to bootloop with NP1 Logo + NP1 horizontal red and white line, black screen and then reboot, reboot...

Please... How can I solve this?

Thanks so much
I would try to FLASH the "basic" boot image and try to root it afterwards.

Reactions: riccardorossi64

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
Nothing Phone 2
OnePlus 12
I flashed with "fastboot boot boot.img" the basic image, but if I restart the NP1 it bootloops
"fastboot boot boot.img" = boot only, which means it does NOT persist after reboot
"fastboot flash boot boot.img" = flash the boot image.

I usually root like this:

Boot normal
Install Magisk APK
Extract stock boot.img from payload
Patch boot.img with magisk
reboot bootloader and BOOT the patched image "fastboot boot boot.img"
Open Magisk (dont restart) and direct install magisk

riccardorossi64

Jan 13, 2017
Florence ITALY
"fastboot boot boot.img" = boot only, which means it does NOT persist after reboot
"fastboot flash boot boot.img" = flash the boot image.

I usually root like this:

Boot normal
Install Magisk APK
Extract stock boot.img from payload
Patch boot.img with magisk
reboot bootloader and BOOT the patched image "fastboot boot boot.img"
Open Magisk (dont restart) and direct install magisk
Thank You, but I read that is "brickable" to flash with "fastboot flash boot magiskboot.img"

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
Nothing Phone 2
OnePlus 12
Thank You, but I read that is "brickable" to flash with "fastboot flash boot magiskboot.img"
You are already in a soft-brick.
But if the boot.img you boot with "fastboot boot boot.img" it will work with "fastboot flash boot boot.img" too.

You messed up your boot.img somewhere and flashed it to your device. You need to flash a working one.

1stStep

Hi @Pho3nX, do you feel it's worth adding to the Howto Guide Unlock & Root, for Linux users, that they may need to add these 3 udev rule then restart :

Code:
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

GNU nano 6.2                       /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules                             
# SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0502", MODE="0666", GROUP="me"
#MyOld
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", MODE="0666", GROUP="me"
##3 rules below for Nothing Phone (1)
#ID 18d1:4ee1 Google Inc. Nexus/Pixel Device (MTP)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee1",
#ID 18d1:4ee7 Google Inc. Nexus/Pixel Device (charging + debug)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee7", MODE="0666", GROUP="me"
#ID 18d1:d00d Google Inc. Xiaomi Mi/Redmi 2 (fastboot)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="d00d", MODE="0666", GROUP="me"

^G Help       ^O Write     ^W Search   ^K Cut     ^T Execute   ^C Locatio  M-U Cancel
^X Quit    ^R Read file ^\ Replace  ^U Paste     ^J Justify  ^/ Go line M-E Redo
Replace me with you

Ctrl+X Y

sudo udevadm control --reload-rules && sudo udevadm trigger

?

HTH

Last edited:
Reactions: iamthechickengod

smartypants

Nov 2, 2009
Oslo
Hi, I'm a seasoned phone rooter, but this phone has me tricked. I've followed the guide, but what ever I manage to boot with ` fastboot boot boot.img` Magisk will not show that I have root.

I was rooted on 1.1.4 and was waiting for stable 1.5 to update, but my phone autodownloaded 1.1.7 EE and when it had rebooted my root was gone. Now unable to get my root back. Now my banking app and revolut will not run. Says my phone is rooted, but it's not, only unlocked. Any ideas on what to try?

I want to extract the runing boot/kernel from the phone, patch it with magisk and see if I can get root from that. But not sure what partition the boot image resides.

Ashiq.makkar

Jan 9, 2017
Unbricking Nothing phone 1: Flash Stock Firmware with Fastboot

Warning : The process below will erase all the data on your device. So, I invite you to make a full backup of the device beforehand.
Unfortunately, as I don't own the Phone(1) yet, I am unable to take screenshots with the Phone(1) at the moment. As soon as I can, I will put them online to finalize the tutorial. Thank you for your understanding

STEP 1: What you need and read before the process.
It’s really important for a process without problems
  1. Install Android SDK and the Platform-tools folder
  2. Download the Nothing OS version you need (see this post)
  3. Extract the "payload bin" file from the rom
  4. Extract the Firmware Stock "boot.img" from the rom (see this tutorial)
  5. Unlock the bootloader of your Phone(1) (see this tutorial)

STEP 2: Boot the bricked phone 1 into Fastboot mode
Very often, a soft-bricked or boot-looped device may already be in Fastboot mode. However, if you are stuck in a boot-loop, long press the Power key to turn it off.

Then press and hold the Power and Volume Down keys (or Power and Volume Up keys on some devices) simultaneously to boot your device into Fastboot mode.

In case you are unable to turn off your device, let the battery discharge. Once it is drained, connect it to the charger. Then, as soon as it is about to start, use the Power and Volume Up/Down keys and it will start directly in Fastboot mode.

STEP 3: Format the device via Fastboot
1.Go to the platform-tools folder where the extracted ROM is located.
2.Then go to its address bar, type CMD in its address, and press Enter. This will launch the CMD window.
3.Now run the following command to perform a factory reset (optional but recommended) ;)
Code:
fastboot -w

STEP 4: Flash the Nothing Phone 1 firmware via the Fastboot commands
  1. Run the commands below in the CMD window [which is open in the platform-tools folder] to flash the partition file.
  2. Very Important: Only run one command at a time. If you get an error, however, do not exit the process halfway, but go on to the next flashing command instead.
  3. Don't forget to check your command line 🧐 before validating it, because often a small error blocks you!
Code:
fastboot flash abl abl.img

fastboot flash aop aop.img

fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash cpucp cpucp.img

fastboot flash devcfg devcfg.img

flash fastboot dsp dsp.img

flash fastboot dtbo dtbo.img

fastboot flash featenabler featenabler.img

fastboot flash hyp hyp.img

fastboot flash imagefv imagefv.img

fastboot flash keymaster keymaster.img

fastboot flash modem modem.img

fastboot flash multiimgoem multiimgoem.img

fastboot flash odm odm.img fastboot

fastboot flash product product.img

fastboot flash qupfw qupfw.img

flash fastboot shrm shrm.img

flash fastboot system system.img

flash fastboot system_ext system_ext.img

flash fastboot tz tz.img

flash fastboot uefisecapp uefisecapp.img

flash fastboot vbmeta vbmeta.img

flash fastboot vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img

fastboot flash vendor vendor.img

fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot.img

flash fastboot xbl xbl.img

fastboot flash xbl_config xbl_config.img

Step 5: If you have not had any errors, then you can run the command below to boot your device onto the operating system.
Code:
fastboot reboot

Well done 👏, you have just debricked your Nothing Phone 1 by flashing the stock firmware via the fastboot commands. (y)
I hope this tutorial has helped you find your Phone(1).
Thanks
getting partition not found error for some commands like 'fastboot flash product product.img'
how to fix this?

I face the same issue, have no idea how to solve it, if you got any work around plz share
i've solved installing the google driver and than when i reboot the phone i plug it out and in again. after this went into device management -> select the phone -> update driver -> search driver in the computer -> choose from a list of driver inside the computer -> google/android -> "Bootloader" is for fastboot

cibai7181

Nov 24, 2012
Hi, want to ask some questions
1) What is your step to do an OTA update so you won't lose the root and must redo it again?
2) What app/module do you use to hide app root detection

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: This is not a support thread for issues you may have with Nothing OS ROMs. If you need help rooting your phone, feel free to ask here. If you have any other issues, please ask in another thread.

Regarding problems with PHONE(1), you can post in this open topic
    Regarding problems updating PHONE(1), write
    here

DISCLAIMER
    I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THIS POINT.

Unlocking the bootloader and rooting your NOTHING PHONE(1) will impact how to perform OTA updates. You'll learn the steps to keep a working environment.

THANKS

INDEX
    01. PREREQUISITES AND SETTING UP
    02. BOOTLOADER MODE
    0A. UNLOCKING
    0B. ROOTING
    0C. RELOCKING

01. PREREQUISITES AND SETTING UP
    If you've already unlocked the bootloader and rooted a carrierless variant of either a Google Pixel or OnePlus, you should have no problem unlocking your Nothing Phone (1) and installing Magisk. For those of you with a memory lapse, here is a tutorial to guide you through the process.​
    DOWNLOAD THE LATEST Platform-Tools FROM HERE

THEN FOLLOW THIS GUIDE: PHONE'S & COMPUTER'S SETUP AND USING ADB FROM ANY DIRECTORY OF YOUR PC *
    * While Setting up the phone, disable also Automatic System Updates & enable OEM Unlocking while navigating Developer's Options

02. BOOTLOADER MODE

It is now possible to connect with PHONE(1) in Bootloader mode.
    One can do many things within this context, only three are considered: Unlocking which leads to Rooting, Relocking.
    BEWARE! EVERY UNLOCK AND RELOCK WILL PERFORM A DATA FORMAT
    So before anyone of those things can be done, it is necessary to reboot in Bootloader mode:

1. Reboot to Bootloader:
      • Manually by holding POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons while booting the phone up,
      • Or through ADB
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
    2. Check for the device with
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    3. If not recognised, remove and reconnect the cable from the device to the pc, check drivers

0A. UNLOCKING

• TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock
      • A text appears warning about the potential risks of unlocking the bootloader. Navigate with VOLUME DOWN AND UP buttons to highlight the option “unlock the bootloader.” Pressing POWER button to confirm will ensure a DATA FORMAT next boot.​
      • PHONE(1) is now booted back to the bootloader with unlocked status​
    • TO UNLOCK CRITICAL_PARTITIONS*
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock_critical
    * NOT MANDATORY FOR ROOTING, NOT RECOMMENDED

The phone will reboot and wipe data after any of those commands are executed.

0B. ROOTING
    After Unlocking and before Rooting PHONE(1) must be turned on to reenable USB Debugging, go back to GETTING PHONE(1) READY, then reboot to Bootloader.

With an unlocked bootloader, modified images can be run and flashed. For Magisk to work, you’ll need to patch the Nothing Phone 1’s stock boot image with Magisk Manager:​
    1. DOWNLOAD the right Magisk Patched Boot image
    2. From the terminal write
      Code:
      fastboot boot *DRAG Magisk Patched Boot.img HERE*
      then press enter
    3. PHONE(1) will now boot with all stock partitions but in a temporary rooted context (until reboot if not installed with MManager)
    4. DOWNLOAD & INSTALL the latest Magisk Manager app on your phone, click on assets and tap on the Magisk-vX.Y.apk
    5. Open the Magisk app and tap on the Magisk's Install button.
    6. Choose Direct Installation then LET'S GO ->
    7. Reboot the phone with Magisk when asked, to boot a fully rooted phone
    DONE!

-=o#0#o=-​

0C. RELOCKING

WARNING:
    LOCKING THE BOOTLOADER WHILE THERE IS A CUSTOM IMAGE FLASHED (LIKE MAGISK'S, A CUSTOM RECOVERY OR A WRONG BOOT IMG) WILL BRICK THE PHONE, WHICH WILL BE RECOVERABLE ONLY THROUGH EDL

• TO RELOCK BOOTLOADER
      Code:
      fastboot flashing lock
    • TO RELOCK CRITICAL_PARTITIONS
      Code:
      fastboot flashing lock_critical
    The phone will reboot and wipe data after any of those commands are executed.
    If you want to go fully stock, remember to disable OEM Unlocking from the device's Developer's Options.
    Extract Payload.bin via Payload Dumper Go ;)

To start, download the payload-dumper-go 1.0.0 from Github [Credits: XDA Member @ssssut].

Then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. The file name will be something like payload-dumper-go_1.0.0_windows_amd64.

Rename it to payload-dumper-go.

Next, download the liblzma-5.dll file and transfer it to the same folder where the payload-dumper-go.exe file is located.

After that, transfer the payload.bin file to this folder as well.

So, from now on, you should have the 3 files payload-dumper-go.exe, payload.bin and liblzma-5.dll in one folder.

Extract_payload-bin_1.png

Now go to the address bar of that folder, type "cmd" and press Enter. This will launch the command prompt window.

Extract_payload-bin_2.png

Extract_payload-bin_2a.png

Type the command below to extract the payload.bin file:

Code:
    payload-dumper-go payload.bin

Extract_payload-bin_3b.png

Extract_payload-bin_3.png

The extraction process will now begin and will only take a few seconds.

Extract_payload-bin_4.png

Once this is done, all extracted files will be placed in a folder named extract_date_time which is created in this directory like this name : extracted_20220731_145751

Extract_payload-bin_5.png

The process is very simple and very fast. Anyone can do it. So don't hesitate, you have everything you need to do this yourself. ;)
    it's up to you now
    If this has helped you, and if you appreciate my help. (y)
    Thanks

How to bootloader unlock and root the Nothing Phone 1

Step 1: Unlock the Nothing Phone 1’s bootloader

Step 2 - Rooting the Nothing Phone 1 with Magisk

Step 3: Relock the Nothing Phone 1’s bootloader

Hey Sib64, could you please rephrase the guide correctly. This is because the way it is currently written, users will end up carrying out the third step of re-locking the bootloader right after performing the second step of rooting their device, which in turn will result in a soft-brick or bootloop. So it is advised that rather than having the relocking process as STEP 3, make it an altogether different section.