How To Guide Nothing Phone (1) - Unlock & Root [ GUIDE ][ HowTo ]

Search This thread

sh4tteredd

Aug 9, 2022
Italy

g4seb

Apr 1, 2016
Hi, if i unlock my bootloader, did i lost all the think there on the phone ? As downloads files, ringtones, and files ?

EXCIDIVM

Aug 18, 2022
Thank you for the guide. But unfortunately I am stuck at step 12:

Once you’re on the bootloader menu, you’ll now have to switch to using fastboot command to communicate with your device. To unlock the Nothing Phone 1’s bootloader, enter the following command: fastboot flashing unlock

When my device is powered on, I can discover it with adb.
As soon as I enter the bootloader menu, adb and fastboot no longer discover any devices.
Fastboot only returns "<waiting for any device>".

corpsus

Apr 18, 2014
Thank you for the guide. But unfortunately I am stuck at step 12:

When my device is powered on, I can discover it with adb.
As soon as I enter the bootloader menu, adb and fastboot no longer discover any devices.
Fastboot only returns "<waiting for any device>".
I was struggling with this exact same issue for days. Try entering the bootloader menu by using the hardware keys, rather than by a adb command. Meaning:
  1. Power off your device
  2. Boot into bootloader menu by pressing Power + Volume down
  3. Now try fastboot flashing unlock command
Good luck!

EXCIDIVM

Aug 18, 2022
so for me I used to android ADB interface driver

I googled "ADB interface driver" and only got shady sites as results. Is this the exact name of the driver?
I am not gonna download this from a site called "oemdrivers.com".

I was struggling with this exact same issue for days. Try entering the bootloader menu by using the hardware keys, rather than by a adb command. Meaning:
  1. Power off your device
  2. Boot into bootloader menu by pressing Power + Volume down
  3. Now try fastboot flashing unlock command
Good luck!

Thanks! I already read that on page 3. Unfortunately, for me it doesn't work. I guess unlike you, I really do have a USB driver issue.

layz1319

Jul 25, 2022
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I googled "ADB interface driver" and only got shady sites as results. Is this the exact name of the driver?

Thanks! I already read that on page 3. Unfortunately, for me it doesn't work. I guess unlike you, I really do have a USB driver issu

Thanks! I already read that on page 3. Unfortunately, for me it doesn't work. I guess unlike you, I really do have a USB driver issue.
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb try this, this is from Android

EXCIDIVM

Aug 18, 2022

Much appreciated!
Sadly, this is the driver I already installed and which only returns yellow exclamation marks and "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

I guess I am out of luck here. I already spent more time on trying to root this phone than on my last 5 phones combined, so I will give up for now and just enjoy my unrooted phone without battery limiter and AMOLED black themes.

EXCIDIVM

Aug 18, 2022

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ANNOUNCEMENT: I'M STOPPING THE FOLLOW UP AND UPDATE OF THIS TOPIC TODAY, IF SOMEONE WANTS TO TAKE OVER, CONTACT THE MODERATOR IN THIS LINK.
    Moderator announcement!

Ownership of this thread tranferred from @Pho3nX to @AnotherM1m.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    Hello everyone, thanks for you work here on xda.

I've updated both this guide and the repo, hope you like how i manage things
    If you don't, let me know! I'll gladly hear about improvements
    Note: This is not a support thread for issues you may have with Nothing OS ROMs. If you need help rooting your phone, feel free to ask here. If you have any other issues, please ask in another thread.

Regarding problems with PHONE(1), you can post in this open topic
    Regarding problems updating PHONE(1), write
    here

DISCLAIMER
    I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THIS POINT.

Unlocking the bootloader and rooting your NOTHING PHONE(1) will impact how to perform OTA updates. You'll learn the steps to keep a working environment.

THANKS

INDEX
    01. PREREQUISITES AND SETTING UP
    02. BOOTLOADER MODE
    0A. UNLOCKING
    0B. ROOTING
    0C. RELOCKING

01. PREREQUISITES AND SETTING UP
    If you've already unlocked the bootloader and rooted a carrierless variant of either a Google Pixel or OnePlus, you should have no problem unlocking your Nothing Phone (1) and installing Magisk. For those of you with a memory lapse, here is a tutorial to guide you through the process.​
    DOWNLOAD THE LATEST Platform-Tools FROM HERE

THEN FOLLOW THIS GUIDE: PHONE'S & COMPUTER'S SETUP AND USING ADB FROM ANY DIRECTORY OF YOUR PC *
    * While Setting up the phone, disable also Automatic System Updates under Developer's Options

02. BOOTLOADER MODE

It is now possible to connect with PHONE(1) in Bootloader mode.
    One can do many things within this context, only three are considered: Unlocking which leads to Rooting, Relocking.
    BEWARE! EVERY UNLOCK AND RELOCK WILL PERFORM A DATA FORMAT
    So before anyone of those things can be done, it is necessary to reboot in Bootloader mode:

1. Reboot to Bootloader:
      • Manually by holding POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons while booting the phone up,
      • Or through ADB
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
    2. Check for the device with
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    3. If not recognised, remove and reconnect the cable from the device to the pc, check drivers

0A. UNLOCKING

• TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock
      • A text appears warning about the potential risks of unlocking the bootloader. Navigate with VOLUME DOWN AND UP buttons to highlight the option “unlock the bootloader.” Pressing POWER button to confirm will ensure a DATA FORMAT next boot.​
      • PHONE(1) is now booted back to the bootloader with unlocked status​
    • TO UNLOCK CRITICAL_PARTITIONS*
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock_critical
    * NOT MANDATORY FOR ROOTING

The phone will reboot and wipe data after any of those commands are executed.

0B. ROOTING
    After Unlocking and before Rooting PHONE(1) must be turned on to reenable USB Debugging, go back to GETTING PHONE(1) READY, then reboot to Bootloader.

With an unlocked bootloader, modified images can be run and flashed. For Magisk to work, you’ll need to patch the Nothing Phone 1’s stock boot image with Magisk Manager:​
    1. DOWNLOAD the right Magisk Patched Boot image
    2. From the terminal write
      Code:
      fastboot boot *DRAG Magisk Patched Boot.img HERE*
      then press enter
    3. PHONE(1) will now boot with all stock partitions but in a temporary rooted context (until reboot if not installed with MManager)
    4. DOWNLOAD & INSTALL the latest Magisk Manager app on your phone, click on assets and tap on the Magisk-vX.Y.apk
    5. Open the Magisk app and tap on the Magisk's Install button.
    6. Choose Direct Installation then LET'S GO ->
    7. Reboot the phone with Magisk when asked to boot a fully rooted phone
    DONE!

-=o#0#o=-​

0C. RELOCKING

WARNING:
    LOCKING THE BOOTLOADER WHILE THERE IS A CUSTOM IMAGE FLASHED (LIKE MAGISK'S, A CUSTOM RECOVERY OR A WRONG BOOT IMG) WILL BRICK THE PHONE

• TO RELOCK BOOTLOADER
      Code:
      fastboot flashing lock
    • TO RELOCK CRITICAL_PARTITIONS
      Code:
      fastboot flashing lock_critical
    The phone will reboot and wipe data after any of those commands are executed.
    Extract Payload.bin via Payload Dumper Go ;)

To start, download the payload-dumper-go 1.0.0 from Github [Credits: XDA Member @ssssut].

Then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. The file name will be something like payload-dumper-go_1.0.0_windows_amd64.

Rename it to payload-dumper-go.

Next, download the liblzma-5.dll file and transfer it to the same folder where the payload-dumper-go.exe file is located.

After that, transfer the payload.bin file to this folder as well.

So, from now on, you should have the 3 files payload-dumper-go.exe, payload.bin and liblzma-5.dll in one folder.

Extract_payload-bin_1.png

Now go to the address bar of that folder, type "cmd" and press Enter. This will launch the command prompt window.

Extract_payload-bin_2.png

Extract_payload-bin_2a.png

Type the command below to extract the payload.bin file:

Code:
    payload-dumper-go payload.bin

Extract_payload-bin_3b.png

Extract_payload-bin_3.png

The extraction process will now begin and will only take a few seconds.

Extract_payload-bin_4.png

Once this is done, all extracted files will be placed in a folder named extract_date_time which is created in this directory like this name : extracted_20220731_145751

Extract_payload-bin_5.png

The process is very simple and very fast. Anyone can do it. So don't hesitate, you have everything you need to do this yourself. ;)
    it's up to you now
    If this has helped you, and if you appreciate my help. (y)
    Thanks

How to bootloader unlock and root the Nothing Phone 1

Step 1: Unlock the Nothing Phone 1’s bootloader

Step 2 - Rooting the Nothing Phone 1 with Magisk

Step 3: Relock the Nothing Phone 1’s bootloader

Hey Sib64, could you please rephrase the guide correctly. This is because the way it is currently written, users will end up carrying out the third step of re-locking the bootloader right after performing the second step of rooting their device, which in turn will result in a soft-brick or bootloop. So it is advised that rather than having the relocking process as STEP 3, make it an altogether different section.