[GUIDE] ICS Theming Discussion/Guide

Search This thread

sonnysekhon

Recognized Themer
Aug 15, 2010
Vancouver
Fellow themers,

I have started putting together this guide for theming ICS. Some stuff I figured out myself and some was done by others so credit to all who figured it out first.

Please post your findings as well and I will add them here.

Happy theming.

GUIDE

Tools:

Update your sdk to 4.0
Latest Apkmanager (5.0.2) (make sure you replace the aapt with the latest one from your 4.0 sdk install/ Apk Multi-Tool
Latest Apktool

Install the framework:

Code:
apktool if framework-res.apk

Framework Compilation Errors:

You will notice that you get a lot of 'plurals.xml line 79' errors when trying to compile the framework.

You have to go the line 79 in each xml that gave an error and add a % in front of the 2nd %d.

For example in values/plurals.xml, change the following:

Code:
<item quantity="other">%d of %d</item>

to:

Code:
<item quantity="other">%d of %%d</item>

It will compile ok after that.

Clock/Carrier/Ticker/Text Highlight colors:

In framework-res/res/values/colors.xml, change the following to your desired hex color code:

Code:
<color name="holo_blue_light"></color>
<color name="holo_blue_dark"></color>
<color name="highlighted_text_holo_dark"></color>
<color name="highlighted_text_holo_light"></color>

Notifications background color:

In SystemUI/res/values/drawables.xml, change the following to your desired hex color code:

Code:
    <item type="drawable" name="notification_item_background_color"></item>
    <item type="drawable" name="notification_item_background_color_pressed"></item>
    <item type="drawable" name="status_bar_notification_row_background_color"></item>
    </item>

Changing the statusbar image:

In SystemUI/res/values/drawables.xml, change this one line and change the corresponding image in drawable-hdpi/xhdpi:

Code:
    <drawable name="status_bar_background">@drawable/status_bar_bg_tile</drawable>
    </item>

Changing the notification pulldown image:

In SystemUI/res/layout/status_bar_tracking.xml, add ---android:background="@drawable/pulldown"--- to the first line and add the corresponding image in drawable-hdpi/xhdpi:

Code:
    <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.TrackingView android:orientation="vertical" android:background="@drawable/pulldown" android:paddingLeft="0.0px" android:paddingRight="0.0px" android:paddingBottom="0.0px" android:focusable="true" android:visibility="gone" android:descendantFocusability="afterDescendants"

Removing the tint that Google inexplicably added to all the notifications:

In SystemUI/res/values/dimens.xml, change this value to anything you like:

Code:
    <item type="dimen" name="status_bar_icon_drawing_alpha"></item>
    </item>

Changing it to 100% will get rid of the tint altogether.

Last edited:

Perka

Sep 15, 2010
Im looking at making the dialler transparent, but theres no diallertabactivity.apk, sp where to start?
Running ics on my sgs, probably im getting a Nexus S, when it gets ICS. :-D

DaXmax

Sep 16, 2008
Singapore
Im looking at making the dialler transparent, but theres no diallertabactivity.apk, sp where to start?
Running ics on my sgs, probably im getting a Nexus S, when it gets ICS. :-D

I thought ur on Galaxy Nexus? Stay! Dont go, Galaxy S will also receive cm9 too but i dunno about those htc phones.... Sadly, the Milestone lose support... Anyway, how we gonna theme cm9?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Perka

Sep 15, 2010
yea I have done some stuff, link in my sig.

Just cant find the pngs for dialler.

Edit: I have a sgs, for now :p

I dont think we will get a real ICS

ZduneX25

Recognized Themer
Nov 4, 2010
miuipolska.pl
Xiaomi Redmi 2
Xiaomi Mi 5
@MinceMan SystemUI.apk you need CM9, not AOSP ICS

ics xml are more easy than gb ones ;) i do not think tha ics needs own theming thread, cos almost everything you know about gb you can mod in ics + you have some more extra features

DROCSID

Mar 31, 2010
Somewhere deep
Any way to make the statusbar transparant, I see this on ICS / Teamhacksung's bar, WHAT has to be changed for what?

Code:
new-instance v11, Landroid/view/WindowManager$LayoutParams;

const/4 v12, -0x1

const/16 v14, 0x7d0

const v15, 0x800048

const/16 v16, 0x4

invoke-direct/range {v11 .. v16}, Landroid/view/WindowManager$LayoutParams;-><init>(IIIII)V

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fellow themers,

I have started putting together this guide for theming ICS. Some stuff I figured out myself and some was done by others so credit to all who figured it out first.

Please post your findings as well and I will add them here.

Happy theming.

GUIDE

Tools:

Update your sdk to 4.0
    Latest Apkmanager (5.0.2) (make sure you replace the aapt with the latest one from your 4.0 sdk install/ Apk Multi-Tool
    Latest Apktool

Install the framework:

Code:
    apktool if framework-res.apk

Framework Compilation Errors:

You will notice that you get a lot of 'plurals.xml line 79' errors when trying to compile the framework.

You have to go the line 79 in each xml that gave an error and add a % in front of the 2nd %d.

For example in values/plurals.xml, change the following:

Code:
    <item quantity="other">%d of %d</item>

to:

Code:
    <item quantity="other">%d of %%d</item>

It will compile ok after that.

Clock/Carrier/Ticker/Text Highlight colors:

In framework-res/res/values/colors.xml, change the following to your desired hex color code:

Code:
    <color name="holo_blue_light"></color>
    <color name="holo_blue_dark"></color>
    <color name="highlighted_text_holo_dark"></color>
    <color name="highlighted_text_holo_light"></color>

Notifications background color:

In SystemUI/res/values/drawables.xml, change the following to your desired hex color code:

Code:
        <item type="drawable" name="notification_item_background_color"></item>
        <item type="drawable" name="notification_item_background_color_pressed"></item>
        <item type="drawable" name="status_bar_notification_row_background_color"></item>
        </item>

Changing the statusbar image:

In SystemUI/res/values/drawables.xml, change this one line and change the corresponding image in drawable-hdpi/xhdpi:

Code:
        <drawable name="status_bar_background">@drawable/status_bar_bg_tile</drawable>
        </item>

Changing the notification pulldown image:

In SystemUI/res/layout/status_bar_tracking.xml, add ---android:background="@drawable/pulldown"--- to the first line and add the corresponding image in drawable-hdpi/xhdpi:

Code:
        <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.TrackingView android:orientation="vertical" android:background="@drawable/pulldown" android:paddingLeft="0.0px" android:paddingRight="0.0px" android:paddingBottom="0.0px" android:focusable="true" android:visibility="gone" android:descendantFocusability="afterDescendants"

Removing the tint that Google inexplicably added to all the notifications:

In SystemUI/res/values/dimens.xml, change this value to anything you like:

Code:
        <item type="dimen" name="status_bar_icon_drawing_alpha"></item>
        </item>

Changing it to 100% will get rid of the tint altogether.
    Reserved for later...
    One more for later...
    @AvatarOfFrost you said it's different for other places, but IMO it's global: \framework-res\res\drawable-nodpi\background_holo_dark.png
    Okay thanks a lot! It's seems I didn't even have to make the edit myself lol. You were correct. After looking through rom control I found a setting for icon transparency.... I changed it to 100% and all is well now. Thanks again! Now off to theme chooser land :)

Sent from my US HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Glad it helped. Just remember that if there are any settings in rom control Any XML settings for that will not work. So just double check first

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2